The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing

Notices

Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
OMG I'M ACTUALLY POSTING A PIECE OF WRITING!

Here's an old one-shot from late 2007. It ties in with my chaptered fan-fic (which is dead here:/) but since that's no longer updated, I figured I'd post this here. BTW, this is being posted while I chill at the Quality Inn of Christiansburg, Virginia. Not that it matters

This songfic is rated G. there's nothing offensive here, unless you find warm and fuzzy offensive

Many thanks to Haruka of Hoenn and especially katiekitten for BETAing and turning this from something embarrassing to something that I'm very proud of. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing it!

The song is "At The Beginning" by Richard Marx and Donna Lewis, from the "Anastasia" soundtrack.

At The Beginning

As a soothing piano melody began to play, a beige, cat-like Pokemon emerged from a flash of light. It began to nuzzle against its trainer, a girl wearing a floor-length red prom dress. The highlights of the girl's long brown hair and the red jewel on her Pokemon's forehead both gave off a soothing shine underneath the banquet hall's lights. “Hey, did you like that song? Let’s listen to our friends as they do their song now, okay?” The teenager, whose gold necklace bore her name, Lisa, received a soft meow in response from her Persian. As the singing started, the girl began to go through some thoughts in her head, all the while petting and rubbing her cat’s furry head as the Pokémon dreamily looked on, smiling as its six whiskers stood on end and its curled tail swayed gently back and forth.

We were strangers starting out on our journey
Never dreaming what we'd have to go through

I don’t think anyone knows what’s in store for them as their life unfolds… no- only the Lord knows that. It’s no different for you or me. I was a young girl, with no knowledge of Pokémon other than in books or on websites- like I wasn’t even planning to BE a trainer, you know? And before all this, you- you were a cute little Meowth, enjoying your time just playing around the professor’s lab- not a care in the world. Both of us so clueless, so naïve, and, well, now look at us. I never figured I would ever had made it this far as a trainer! And how could we know then that you would grow to be the beautiful and strong Persian- your elegance always being an inspiration for me- who’s helping me take on the biggest challenge of both of our lives? Simply amazing how far I’ve come, isn’t it- no, I’m sorry- I should have said, ‘we.’ We’re a team now, and I HAVE to try to remember that. I mean, I- I would be nothing… NOTHING but a nerdy brainiac without your help… Oh, jeez, and I can’t forget about the rest of the team! Man, I’m so forgetful!

Now here we are and I'm suddenly standing
At the beginning with you

Remember when we first met? I was eleven and it was my first time in this region. My parents had just bought the house in town and I was introducing myself to the professor. I was the new girl in town but for whatever reason, she wanted to meet me. She said that you had just been born from a Pokémon egg- you were so tiny I could almost hold you in one hand! Bet I can’t do that now, huh?! I remember when our eyes first met, you formed the most adorable smile on your face. Now, I’m usually not a sucker for cuteness- and you know that from all those Pikachu we crushed- BAM! Hah! We pwned those noobs, right! Wait, I’m getting way off track! Jeez, ya shoulda told me! Somehow, though, you- tiny little thing you were back then- you won me over with just one smile! I don’t know how you did it, must be just part of your unique charm. I was like, “SO CUUUUTE!” and that’s something I don’t do often! From then on, whenever I went to see the professor you would always come up to me wanting to play. And with your cute face and playful antics, how could I resist? How could anyone resist? With your big eyes and coin thingie on your head both shimmering and glittering, and with the adorable way your face used to wrinkle when you smiled… you even made a hardcore geek like me notice!

All those times I was in the lab when the professor was handing out starters, you’d always run over to me. And I’d tell you, “They won’t bite” in my softest voice, but you wouldn’t budge. You weren’t comfortable around others, but… somehow, it’s like you took a shine to me from the very start. Looking back at how well we got along- I don’t remember you scratching me once, believe it or not- I guess we really were destined to be partners. I know that we got partnered up for my Pokémon quest because of that Thrash invasion of the lab- and that must have been hard on you, seeing your home get ruined and seeing the professor all tied up- but maybe… just maybe, that was destined to happen…

No one told me I was going to find you
Unexpected what you did to my heart

I never really thought I’d enjoy Pokémon training this much! I mean, I’ve got a college degree- in math, no less- and I was never the one to want to go out into the world. Oh, why am I telling you? You know that already… seeing how much I freak out all the time when I can’t find a room. I’d be like, “AHHHH! WHAT’S THAT?! GET IT OFF ME!!!” And making myself suffer like that didn’t seem to have a point at the time- it’s not like I needed to do this to earn a living- the two online businesses I own would’ve been enough to support me. Besides, I always thought Pokémon training was a hobby for little kids, not anything a college grad like me needs to get mixed up in- but, wow, this journey has taught me a LOT!

But somehow- perhaps my parents realized I needed to do this. I often did wonder why Mom and Dad wanted me to take on this challenge, and I did doubt their decision. They were like, “Lisa, you need to get away from the books and go explore the world with your Pokémon!” And I was like, “But I don’t wanna leave my comfort zone, it’s comfortable!” But that’s two things about parents.. one, they know best, and two, they always get their way at the end, you know? Okay, so I was on the way to the lab, grumbling to myself about things like, “This better be worth it,” and, “These shoes are already hurting! This better REALLY be worth it!” Not to mention the fact that I had no idea who I’d be partnered with. I figured, “With my luck, my first Pokémon is gonna be a royal pain to get along with…” But as soon as I found out that you were going to be my partner, and how eager you were to get out of the lab and begin a grand adventure… well, I guess some of that excitement rubbed off on me. What can I say? Well, okay, I guess I should admit that this has turned out to be very worthwhile for me. Together- See? I remembered that we’re in this together this time!... Anyway, together, we’ve had challenges that I think have shaped who we are. You agree with me there, right?

When I lost hope you were there to remind me
This is the start

Hardships. Challenges. As we’ve learned- sometimes the easy way, sometimes the hard way- they’re part of the package when on a journey. But who thought we’d face the challenges that we have? I mean, that old guy who used to work for Dad tried to kill the both of us before we had even started out… and this whole business with these terrorists… I don’t think either of us could’ve predicted what they’d put us through. Especially those two at the weather center- if not for the cops arriving when they did, neither of us would… would… b-be here… N-No, I don’t want to think of that either, but it WAS a real possibility at the time… But through it all, we never gave up. Even those times when I would lose- and I guess it’s the perfectionist in me that hates to lose- and I would start crying and regretting even starting on this journey, you and the rest of the team would always come to my rescue. Others would laugh, call me a ‘crybaby,’ but… but not you. And not the rest of our partners, either. Y’all understood that I was- and still am, I suppose- really sensitive to failure.

When I was wallowing in self-pity and blaming myself for being a failure- like I was when the last Gym Leader wiped me out the first time, you guys would be the ones to reassure me… usually by getting close to me and showing me you still cared for me- Persian, I know you’d rub me gently- with your nice, warm paw- while the others comforted me in their own way, whether it was Sealeo and Jolteon nuzzling my leg, or Metang petting my head and trying not to knock me out, or even Vibrava and Weezing who would try to reassure me with their cries. All of y’all would try to ‘soothe the pain,’ so to speak- and help me feel a little better about myself. You know, give me the strength to continue… at exactly the time when I needed a confidence boost the most… It’s like you and the rest of the team KNEW when I was down and I needed cheering up- it’s like in all those cute movie scenes where everybody’s like, ‘AWWW!’ and they begin to tear up- I LOVE those moments!. And I really need to thank you for everything you do to help me. Thank… thank you… I’m sorry, I really can’t say it enough!

And life is a road and I want to keep going
Love is a river I want to keep flowing
Life is a road now and forever
A wonderful journey

I'll be there when the world stops turning
I'll be there when the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing

We were strangers on a crazy adventure
Never dreaming how our dreams would come true

It’s certainly been a wild ride, hasn’t it, Persian? We’ve met all sorts of people and Pokémon in the past few months, from the nice to the nasty to the downright bizarre. I STILL have to laugh at that oddball Fred, who thought barking would lead him to victory. I mean, really- he tried to come off as a tough guy, but I don’t think anyone could take that dude seriously! And you showed him that cats are better than dogs when you completely WIPED HIM OUT! And who could forget my old friend, Reggie? You probably don’t know him since he never used Pokémon, but this guy was nuts! He stalks me, comes at me, and thinks he can beat ME at a contest of wits? Puh-leeeze! Does he not know who he’s dealing with?! Then there was that psychotic nurse, the weirdo pirate, and… and probably some others that I can’t think of right now, but who knew such weird and crazy people lived here among us? It has made for an interesting trip through this region, meeting, talking, and battling all these different people. Ah, but it wouldn’t be the same if we were just battling for badges… we’ve needed these wrenches thrown into the mix to keep us on our toes. After all, it just wouldn’t be fun any other way!

Now here we stand unafraid of the future

So far, though, we’ve been able to rise above the challenges that have presented themselves. At times, I wasn’t sure if we could overcome the odds stacked against us, but we always did find a way to pull through. Of course, it would be impossible to do it on our own. I also have my friends and their Pokémon to thank as well. Even better than the battling, better than the joy of victory… I’ve enjoyed just venturing out and meeting all sorts of wonderful people!

We have made some very good friends- and boy, have I needed them! Alexis and Shannon- they both handed me losses early on, but you know something? I am a much better person for having met them. Just like you, they helped me gain more confidence. Granted, they were sometimes a bit harsh with me… but with me, sometimes being harsh is the ONLY way to get through to me. I seem to remember them most fondly… maybe it’s because they’ve helped me out so much- helped me become a better trainer and person, helped me to understand you and the rest of our team just a little bit better and… and… they were even there to take care of me when those thugs almost broke my leg! You’ve always been there for me, and as I hear them put their all into their singing right now… well, I feel like I should make the most of this ‘crazy adventure’ I’m on with my Pokémon!

And how could I forget Lindsay, my dear sister? I never thought she’d become a traveling partner- how my baby sis convinced Mom and Dad to let her out of school, I’ll probably never know. But, despite everything- despite all the times she’d make fun of me for my love of math, and all the times she would drag me along, we… we make a pretty good traveling team, don’t you think? As much as I enjoy the company of you and my other Pokémon, I do need the company of other people as well, you know? Yeah, but you enjoy her company too, don’t you? I mean, she can get a bit annoying, but she IS a sweetie, you know? And I know she likes being around my Pokémon. Right now, she’s probably having fun just talking and playing with the rest of our group back at the room. I think she’ll make a great trainer someday, don’t you?

And thanks to my Pokémon and my friends, now I have a lot more confidence in myself as a trainer and a person. I feel that no matter what the future holds for us, as a trainer and Pokémon partnership, we can overcome! A girl and her Pokémon, rising up to meet the challenges of the world!

A wonderful journey

As much as I hesitated to become a trainer in the first place, I now realize that this is just the next stage in my life. And while it is the most challenging yet- the first time I’ve been challenged physically as well as mentally, and the first time I’ve suffered the bitter taste of defeat- I suppose that’s really the point of it. Each new road in life should present new roadblocks to get around and new traffic jams to suffer through, but I have faith that all of them are designed to mold us into the person- and Pokémon, of course- that the Lord wants us to become. For that alone, it’s been worth it. But I’ve also been blessed with an excellent group of friends and Pokémon to share the journey with.

There’s Weezing, who I found abandoned and who came to my aid in my very first battle. Then there was Sealeo, who was a gift from Lorelei- it’s impossible not to have a lot of respect for her, and yet I think she saw something in me, as well. But Sealeo really needs to learn to control its eating! Next one I caught was Vibrava, who I happened to run into while stumbling through that dark tunnel- it’s been a tough battler ever since. I can’t forget about Metang, a rather unexpected prize for showing off my calculus skills! If only I could figure out how it decides if it wants to battle a particular opponent or not… And Jolteon- I remember how it evolved… it was my fault for falling over and making a Thunderstone clobber it on the head- I’m sorry! But all of you- I’m so glad I had the chance to meet and battle alongside you during this adventure.

But Persian, you were with me before I even started out. Years before actually beginning, we had already built up a sort of bond… and now that we’ve been through so much, I feel that bond is unbreakable! I know that I’m far from perfect- and that you’ve had to endure my math ramblings and constant complaining. But despite my flaws, you’ve accepted me for who I am. I think that’s a sign that we’re going to be together for a very long time to come. You agree, right? I mean, everything we’ve been through, all the hardships and roadblocks we’ve had to overcome- we’ve always been able to emerge from it- maybe a little scraped up and sore, but also stronger, wiser- and closer together- than before. I think that’s a sign that we truly ARE meant to be life partners, no matter what the rest of our lives have in store for us- whether it be battling or not. Whatever the future brings, we’ll be there together to take it on!

I knew there was somebody somewhere
Like me alone in the dark

Can you believe it, though? We’ve known each other for years, but I’m sure back then we never could imagine we would be doing this. I mean, we both had lived very sheltered lives, me as a college student and the daughter of a rich family, and you as a personal pet of the professor. Pokémon training has been a BIG wake-up call for the both of us. I had brains, I had bucks- not many girls my age can say they’ve got a college degree and two businesses that they run. I can integrate a function around anyone, as I’ve proven time and again. My involvement with student government and residence life made me feel like a big shot- like the big girl on campus, which is ironic since I was one of their youngest students! But when it came down to it, I… I quickly found out that there’s more to life than equations and school- and I have you- and this Pokémon adventure as a whole- to thank for opening my eyes.

But you weren’t any more prepared for this wild ride than I was. Before we started out, you were so innocent- perking up your tiny pointed ears whenever you caught a whiff of your food- how you smelled it without a nose, I’ll never know! Then you’d come running up, almost tripping over your two big brown feet, curled tail wagging excitedly. The professor would tell me time and time again that you were always getting into something. But then you would look at her with your big, bright eyes, and somehow… that would make everything better. But I think that you quickly found out that Pokémon battling was a whole different ball game. We both had to face the reality that we could be hurt, and a part of our innocence died. But it did wonders for helping us mature into what we’ve become. I think that’s the beauty of the two of us venturing out into the world together, as two inexperienced partners who needed to learn a lot from the world- and from each other. And I hope we have many, MANY more learning experiences together!

I know that my dream will live on
I've been waiting so long
Nothing's gonna tear us apart

No matter what happens to us in the future, we’ll always remain partners. We’ve been through so much… harsh challenges, fun and relaxing moments, tight situations, and even embarrassing moments… but the important thing is, we’ve been through everything together. We’ve been able to get closer to each other and understand a bit more about each other, as well. Our time together has been SO important to me, and I’m sure it has been to you, too. From the way we work together in the heat of battle to simple downtime like this- every moment we share is one to be cherished. And that is what makes this adventure truly rewarding- not the glory of victory, or the excitement of a lab invasion, but the fact that we’re in this together! And together is how we’ll remain- forever and ever! Thank you… for always being there with me!

As long as you’re by my side, I don’t really need to be doing anything to be able to enjoy life, you know? Sometimes it’s just relaxing to sit like this, letting all of my emotions free with you here next to me. I can’t help to think that somehow… in some way, you’re able to understand my thoughts right now. I’ve noticed you inching even closer to me… thanks for being here with me tonight. It’s… it’s so important to me. I mean, thanks for staying with me throughout this entire journey. Side by side, working in harmony- we CAN overcome anything the world throws at us! You were my very first Pokémon, and though my other Pokémon are all very important to me, you hold a special place in my heart. In the future, I know that we’ll be there for each other- congratulating each other, comforting each other- and that is one thing I would not change for the world. No matter what happens, we’ll ALWAYS be partners and friends- I promise!

A wonderful journey

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family