Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Reload this Page FRLG Mewtwo's coming, everyone evacuate!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Old May 17th, 2015 (06:50 AM).
Momentai :D
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Do you think the FRLG story would have been more interesting if Mewtwo had played a bigger role in the story? What would you have liked for this role to be? I personally would have liked for him to be something of an ultra-bad guy trying to destroy the towns and take over all of the Pokémon in the world like in the 1st movie - staying in a cave the whole time is so boring :(
Old May 17th, 2015 (09:33 AM).
Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist

Nature: Brave
Eh, I'm sorta happy Mewtwo doesn't have that kind of storyline. The "legendary Pokemon awakens and goes berserk" thing has been done way too many times already, and he's a legend even among legendary Pokemon, so his seclusion sorta adds to him even more.

It would be neat though if Mewtwo got his own area (other than the Unknown Dungeon) and even led a bunch of Pokemon around, like he did in the first movie. Mewtwo had his own little kingdom there, and if that was ever introduced into the game it would be awesome because to date he's the only Pokemon, legendary or otherwise, to do such a thing. He even posed as a Pokemon trainer! How cool is that?

(press SPACE to continue.)
I support

By DarkDoom3000.
Old May 17th, 2015 (09:36 AM).
I'm just an ordinary Saiyan...
Platinum Tier

Nature: Modest
Would be pretty interesting, surprising and challenging when you suddenly meet Mewtwo on his rampage in bigger city - Saffron for instance, with a mid-leveled Pokemon in your party.
Old May 17th, 2015 (09:43 AM).

I'm just wondering why Mewtwo's just chillin' in a cave. It's one of the most powerful Pokemon in existence and has human level or even greater than human intelligence and it just.....sits in a cave all day, erry day? You think it'd do something.

Though I suppose that Mewtwo was just meant to be a reward for defeating the Pokemon League and little more than that and that's probably part of the reason why, but still.....
Old May 17th, 2015 (10:32 AM).

Quote originally posted by Squirrel:
Do you think the FRLG story would have been more interesting if Mewtwo had played a bigger role in the story?
I found the role it plays in the story as it exists is enough for the game(s). The Pokémon Mansion journals help the introduction and build up to the mystery of the existence of a powerful new Pokémon that its creator couldn't contain. It's more fitting that he went hide in a place away from people than have revenge.

If I were to change the game in any way, it would be to replace Deoxys with Mew.
Old May 17th, 2015 (02:17 PM).
"What's this? Who is this spoiled brat?"
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Modest
I would have loved to seen both Mew and Mewtwo integrated into the storyline somehow. Aside from them we only had the birds as legendaries in Kanto. There were no box legends. It only makes sense to include them. Sadly thought it never happened :(

Old May 18th, 2015 (12:16 PM).
☆★ Cute Pokemon ★☆

Nature: Quiet
It should. I mean, FR and LG are remakes of Red and...well green/blue, but anyways, the only thing they updated were the graphics. I think they should have made mewtwo more important somehow, those two
verisons don't have a main legendary or something.

Maybe there were will be another remakes in the future snd we'll see Mewtwo doing more than just hanging
in a cave, like it did in X/Y also....
Old May 19th, 2015 (08:26 PM).
Be a role model
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
Yeah, I agree with OP. From the first movie, Mewtwo seemed like a bad guy; I wish that we would have seen more of a presence from him in the game than just a legendary we could catch later on. I also wish we could have seen a bigger presence of Giovanni like going after Mewtwo or Mewtwo being the ultimate boss of Team Rocket. Like the last time we faced Team Rocket it would be after the Elite four, we would have to beat Giovanni then defeat or capture Mewtwo.

Sisters | Brother | Pairs
Old May 19th, 2015 (09:13 PM).
Sootopolitan
ModeratorCS

Nature: Bold
I don't think Mewtwo needed anything like this really, but it was a shame to see him sort of pushed aside in the actual games. More backstory behind him please!
ThePokeCommunity DeviantArt
3DS Code: 3067-4497-2652
NNID: Acromatic
Friend Safari: Dragon
Staff Antagonists Collab 2015
Old May 20th, 2015 (02:52 PM).
HOENN CONFIRMED!

Nature: Timid
I think Mewtwo's cave isolation was fitting despite being simple and seemingly lackluster; it works nicely with the anime - Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (and their originators, Pokemon Red and Green) set up the mystery of Mewtwo via the Cinnabar Pokemon Mansion journals, and the Pokemon anime (namely, Pokemon The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back, the Birth of Mewtwo special, and the Mewtwo Returns special) helps to elaborate/embellish the mystery (and provide people with the "Mewtwo story" that would otherwise seem out of place in the game itself). As for Mewtwo's activities, maybe it just doesn't want to be bothered and just sleeps all day..or fantasizes about movie!Nurse Joy, or something. XD

Quote originally posted by mew_nani:
Eh, I'm sorta happy Mewtwo doesn't have that kind of storyline. The "legendary Pokemon awakens and goes berserk" thing has been done way too many times already, and he's a legend even among legendary Pokemon, so his seclusion sorta adds to him even more.
This.

Currently in intermittent forum activity for 2015. ;_; Credit to Game Freak for avatar and signature. Tune into TOONAMI!
Old May 24th, 2015 (07:14 PM). Edited May 24th, 2015 by ColourCodedGB.

Speaking as a guy who played the original Red/Blue when they first came out, Mewtwo was so cool and memorable because his face wasn't plastered on the front of the box. There was plenty of build up to him without the games ever actually showing you what Mewtwo was. The very first time you ever go to Cerulean City you're able to see the dude standing in front of the cave. That right there is something exciting you can't quite get to. Once you get surf and go talk to that guy, he won't let you in because it's dangerous in there. This builds the mystery of what lurks in Cerulean Cave even more. Eventually you get to read about Mewtwo from journals that let your imagination do its thing. This is assuming you even bothered to read the journals though, as it was totally optional, and I can assure you most kids at the time the originals came out never bothered to do it. Again, the game never really tells you about Mewtwo unless you go seeking the answers. Once you're finally able to explore Cerulean Cave, just the tension of going deeper and deeper into an area of really strong Pokemon is enough build up to what's at the end of it. Eventually isolated in the far corner of the cave is a Pokemon. The excitement is at its limit here, and once you enter that battle and see a wild Pokemon at level 70 you're like "OH SHOOT!!!" and proceed to get your butt kicked.

What made Mewtwo memorable and cool will probably never be able to be replicated in the series ever again because of the way modern media is talked about so much prior to the game's release. It was similar to when Gold and Silver came out, and nobody knew that you could go explore Kanto after the game was over. The surprise is what made these things memorable. Having Mewtwo be a bigger part of the game in any way would ruin most of what made him so awesome in the first place.
Old June 23rd, 2015 (11:39 AM).
You Crystal Clods!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I'm with Achromatic, the story was already really bland so to have Mewtwo lack any significant backstory is nothing but a huge disappointment. It's just there to get caught and nothing else.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)