The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Main Series Pokémon Gaming > Third Generation
Reload this Page What's the appropriate reaction for a first shiny?

Third Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Old May 12th, 2016 (7:28 AM).

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to S-MAN
Despite how much I have played, I still haven't got myself my own shiny yet on any of the gba titles. Now I am not sure how I will react to the event if it ever comes into my life. Will I feel anything or go numb? Will I jump for joy and scream HA! to people nearby? Too much uncertainty.. Tell me your opinions. I would go numb if I found out it had all 0 IVs.

4/26/2016
Looky
Pokemon music!

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 12th, 2016 (9:19 AM).

That depends. Are you a pirate and/or magpie?

In general, you might feel slightly pleased, but it is basically just an existent Pokémon with a slightly altered palette. It depends on what you want it for, for instance if you're looking to collect them, etc.

Old May 12th, 2016 (3:19 PM).
ΘИHLHИ-
ModeratorCS

Nature: Quiet
I guess it all depends on the situation in which you come across the shiny Pokemon. Of the ones that I've come across in the third gen games, I've had a wide array of reactions- everything from wanting to punch my screen when the old man in Viridian encountered a shiny Weedle, to nearly jumping out of the chair when I came across a shiny Heracross in Sapphire's Safari Zone.

To be fair though, both of those happened about 10 years ago now. I'd definitely have a more subdued reaction if I came across a shiny now, haha.
Old May 13th, 2016 (4:17 AM).
Gone but not forgotten.....

Send a message via Skype™ to Omega
If you didn't start off with Gen 2: What the hell is this?

If you start off with Gen 2: Oh yeah, shiny baby!!~~
Old May 13th, 2016 (7:34 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-MAN View Post
Despite how much I have played, I still haven't got myself my own shiny yet on any of the gba titles. Now I am not sure how I will react to the event if it ever comes into my life. Will I feel anything or go numb? Will I jump for joy and scream HA! to people nearby? Too much uncertainty.. Tell me your opinions. I would go numb if I found out it had all 0 IVs.
I was in the same boat as you, not too long ago I got extremely lucky and got a shiny Charmander in FR. Its crazy exciting, dont let the 6 Gen "IVs, Nature, (ect.)" bring you down. Back in Gen 3 shinies were 10x rarer than nowadays.
Old May 14th, 2016 (7:26 AM).
memes
Platinum Tier

Nature: Impish

The appropriate reaction.

I've only ever gotten one shiny and that was pretty much my face.
Old May 14th, 2016 (8:20 AM).
Viridian City Gym Leader
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Well glad everyone here is more calm than I was when I was 7 and first ran into one and proceeded to throw my Gameboy Advance across the floor out of pure excitement....

Old May 14th, 2016 (10:48 AM).
"IZAAAAAAYA-KUN!" (`0´)

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Semi-
I had no idea what the green Pidgey with the stars shooting out of it was when I was ten, and to this day I am quite ashamed of it. But I defenitely felt excitement, as well as a leap in my stomach.

>^
o^<
Paired
with magnificent KendyPls
Tumblr: no-ramen-for-you
Wattpad
Old May 15th, 2016 (10:50 PM).

Talking about shiny pokemon, in Emerald i always get shiny Numel..
Old May 17th, 2016 (5:32 PM).

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to S-MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay78 View Post
I was in the same boat as you, not too long ago I got extremely lucky and got a shiny Charmander in FR. Its crazy exciting, dont let the 6 Gen "IVs, Nature, (ect.)" bring you down. Back in Gen 3 shinies were 10x rarer than nowadays.
And 10x rarer to keep em there!

4/26/2016
Looky
Pokemon music!
Old May 21st, 2016 (10:47 AM).

Nature: Calm
I remember finding and catching my first shiny. FireRed was the game.

I was training in that patch of grass, right before Cerulean City. A Spearow jumped out, and I remember staring blankly at my screen for a minute. Cuz, I'd been grinding in that patch of grass for a while now, so I was used to just KO'ing the opponent Pokemon. But these warning bells started going off in my head and I remember this mantra of "catch it catch it catch it caTCH IT CATCHITCATCHIT."

So I broke out of my stupor and REALLY looked at the screen, then went, "Holy cheezEITS IT'S A SHINY!"

The next couple minutes were spent trying to do as little damage as possible at a time because I was nearing too high a level to be training in that patch of grass. Plus trying to keep it asleep, but the thing kept waking up. Eventually I caught it and I sent a pic to all my friends. Geeked out a bit, then went on my way in game.

I was stupidly happy and excited. But, I had no need for a Spearow on my team, so I never used that Shiny.
Old May 27th, 2016 (4:22 PM).
you don't wanna be high like me
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
My heart races when it happens to me, haha. Been a while since I got a third gen shiny, unfortunately. :(

darling all i know are sad songs
super mod | paired to klippy

Old May 28th, 2016 (4:40 PM).

The only third gen shiny I ever had gotten was on a ROM that I don't even have anymore because it was on my old phone so alas. But at least I was able to catch it; my brother was unlucky enough to find a Mightyena just for it to use roar on it (meanwhile I found Poochyena next to Petalburg so hah.)

Gotta say my sister had the best luck. Shiny Zubat in Mt. Mortar that she still owns as a Shiny Crobat now.
Old June 7th, 2016 (8:46 AM).
Misunderstood, Unfulfilled Potential...

Nature: Naughty
I freaked out on the inside when I found my first shiny, I stayed cool on the outside, and then I died a little when I had no Pokeballs. RIP shiny Zubat

"Just because you have the most talent, doesn't mean you are the greatest"
Old June 8th, 2016 (1:41 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
This was how I recall reacting when I got my shiny Duskull in Ruby:
"This is a shiny? No way! I heard about shinies but never thought I'd get one of my own."
Old June 13th, 2016 (6:46 AM).

Nature: Quirky
I got a shiny Marill in Sapphire and kind of just stared at it in awe.

Help support my hack! I need a spriter
Old June 26th, 2016 (5:45 PM).
ΘИHLHИ-
ModeratorCS

I think this is a fairly appropriate reaction for catching your first shiny Pokemon:

Old July 12th, 2016 (6:21 AM).
Da Burdlova

Nature: Gentle
Ugh, My first shiny was a Green Grimer in FR, I was so ashamed after i learned what a shiny was... I Forgot to save ;(
Old July 14th, 2016 (11:26 PM).
✿ flower keeper ✿

Nature: Gentle
Well, when I encountered my first shiny in RSE, I was attempting to hunt for a shiny Skitty and instead I came across an adorable tan and orange Zigzagoon. I screamed and scared the whole house—this was four years ago now. x'D Still have that same Zigzagoon, Ziggy, to this day. Although it's a level 88 (iirc) Linoone haha.

I would expect and find appropriate an overwhelming sense of excitement, kinda similar to how I reacted catching my first shiny. ; v;

Old July 15th, 2016 (10:55 PM).
✿ Flower Child ✿

Nature: Timid
I never seen a shiny during my playthroughs of third generation games. I didn't start getting lucky until Pokemon Black/White and my reaction there was a lot of fangirling and cussing. Lol.

Sponsored Links