The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 2nd, 2007 (09:55 PM).
Enperuto
Lurking Connoisseur

Send a message via AIM to Enperuto
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jinx- View Post

Think of it this way. My Tabby Cats name is not Tabby Cat and my German Shepards name is not German Shepard. Why would you call a Pikachu, Pikachu?
Because an animal is not a pokemon. They are very different, and if there is canonical proof, i.e. that it's generally used, one would think that they would tolerate it, as they are at the very least pseudo-sentient beings.

Another way of putting it: why would you call a elm tree Bob if everybody else called it an elm tree?

Signature under construction.
Old November 2nd, 2007 (11:00 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger O'Brien View Post
Another way of putting it: why would you call a elm tree Bob if everybody else called it an elm tree?
Because every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name! *shot ninety million times*

It is obvious that Pokemon can accept being called by generic species name. Take a look at Meowth, who seems to have a better knowledge of the human world than other Pokemon. He's perfectly fine being called "Meowth", and doesn't cry for equality.

Ah, and Yamato-san's post reminded me of more research I need to do for another fic I'm writing.
Old November 3rd, 2007 (06:11 AM).
Grovyle42(Griff8416)
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Yahoo to Grovyle42(Griff8416)
I think it all comes down to the character. The Taillow in my fic (who had a name which wasn't a nickname) refused to be called a "Taillow" because he found it insulting. While other pokemon (who also have names) would rather be called by their species names.
PC Family so far: Cousin - ScytheMaster, Awesomest Sister - Diamondpearl876, Brother - Rebellious Treecko (PM one of us if you want to join it)

------------
Click Below for The Awesome Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile Club
Older Fic banner by Scenice.
Old Fic banner by Sammi-Chan.
New Fic banner by Scenice
Banner and avatar by Anastasia R.
Old November 8th, 2007 (05:51 PM).
SBaby
Pokemon Dungeon Master

More of a cliche than anything, it still remains an anomaly to this very day (as shown by posts on various sites, including here).

The Inverse Fic/Anime Irony

The amount of complaining you get about a Trainer Fic is inversely proportionate to how much they like the Anime. The more they like the Anime, the more they complain about an OT Fic. The reverse also applies. If they don't like the Anime, chances are you'll never hear from them, even though your view count still continues to increase.

- Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in a business is blame the customer.

- Willie 'Jack' Degel
Old November 8th, 2007 (06:35 PM).
Grovyle42(Griff8416)
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Yahoo to Grovyle42(Griff8416)
I never noticed that, actually.
PC Family so far: Cousin - ScytheMaster, Awesomest Sister - Diamondpearl876, Brother - Rebellious Treecko (PM one of us if you want to join it)

------------
Click Below for The Awesome Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile Club
Older Fic banner by Scenice.
Old Fic banner by Sammi-Chan.
New Fic banner by Scenice
Banner and avatar by Anastasia R.
Old November 8th, 2007 (07:35 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

The reason behind that, I believe, is due to the fact that most OT fics follow the same plot formula of the anime. Those who have watched the anime since its beginning recognize quickly the same qualities between fic and show.

So those who like the anime read the fics and say that the fic follows the anime too closely. Those who hate the anime read the fic and find that the fic follows the anime, and furiously hit the back button. So views increase, but reviews don't, except from those vocal enough to complain/provide concrit.

I'm not saying that all OT fics follow the plot of the anime, even when written in the anime canon. (Mine is an example of this, though you can't see it.) It's just that the beginners who tend to give OT fics a try, and are "weak" writers, either follow the game canon too closely, or the anime canon. Since these fics are a dime a dozen, the general populace of forum goers hate OT fics. It's just another label the OT genre of Pokemon fiction has received. This stretches on to other fandoms as well.
Old November 8th, 2007 (08:44 PM).
Yamato-san
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via AIM to Yamato-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako Tabris View Post
Ah, and Yamato-san's post reminded me of more research I need to do for another fic I'm writing.
what was it, exactly? What I said about Japanese names, or one of the other things?
Old November 9th, 2007 (01:28 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Just the Japanese culture in general. Your post talking about the Japanese nicknames reminded me of just how little I actually know of Japanese culture. So since I am writing a fic that does take place in Japan, it all just reminded me that I had to do more research so I don't get something wrong.
Old November 9th, 2007 (09:23 PM).
Duncan McNeil
[release].your.grip

Quote:
The reason behind that, I believe, is due to the fact that most OT fics follow the same plot formula of the anime. Those who have watched the anime since its beginning recognize quickly the same qualities between fic and show.
You're completely right. 9 out of 10 OT fics are exactly the same, as in following the anime (and the games).

Quote:
I'm not saying that all OT fics follow the plot of the anime, even when written in the anime canon. (Mine is an example of this, though you can't see it.) It's just that the beginners who tend to give OT fics a try, and are "weak" writers, either follow the game canon too closely, or the anime canon. Since these fics are a dime a dozen, the general populace of forum goers hate OT fics. It's just another label the OT genre of Pokemon fiction has received. This stretches on to other fandoms as well.
OT is probably my favorite genre of Pokemon Fan Fiction, and it's unfortunate that it has been given such a bad reputation. When done right, an OT fic can be a good fic to read and to write. When done wrong, OT fics are more "Not another one!".
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links