The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

Nature: Calm
OOC: Short post, crappy post, but good considering I have a block. XD

"Er... Mistral?" Reid spoke to his fael mentally after Adela questioned his identity. He had no idea what had just happened, especially in regards to the apostles. But, Adela's sudden amnesia was an immediate cause for concern. What had brought it on? Some kind of event that reminded her of a childhood trauma, perhaps?

"Yes, I'm aware. I sensed some sort of disturbance a few moments ago, and upon inspecting her mind I found myself amidst a large forest. Whatever is going on, it's something we can't help. I'd suggest just dragging her along until things have worked themselves out." She sounded calm, but something was terribly wrong going on in Adela's mind, and Mistral was aware.

Reid sighed and took Adela's hand, Rosaline's things in the other. The boat had finally docked, and a soft snow began to fall over the wharf. The land was all white, the air bitterly cold, and Reid was still dressed in his damp, summer clothes. "I'm your friend, Reid. And we're on a trip. So, uh... just come with me, okay?" He said as he dragged her down the wooden plank to the dock, only to slip and land face first into a pile of snow.

Smooth, and nice excuse.

"Shut up."

---------

"You are hereby placed under arrest, Velin Dahn." The emotionless, doll-like voice spoke again, before stepping out of the shadows. Cress looked away as the girl's appearance came into view. She was nearly the spitting image of Rosaline, with a few key differences. The navy blue hair that was one of Rosaline's key features was now black, while her eyes were pure white, with the pupils extremely small, that provided a lifeless look. Her wings, once lined with beautiful white feathers, were now a skeleton of what they once were, as if someone had taken the time to pluck ever last feather, were closed behind her. A single black, spiral horn like that of a unicorn stuck out five inches from her forehead, which had a white lace ribbon tied around the base of it. Other than that, her body didn't seem that deformed, although there was a chance that some dark, mutilated secrets lied beneath her lacey, ribbony, white gothic lolita dress that revealed her shoulders and fell down past her feet so that the dress dragged behind her."For conspiring against the Padre, you shall be contained in cell 765. If you refuse, I have been requested to use force."

"I wouldn't try resisting." Cress whispered into Velin's ear. "The bastard made her out of the two princesses without the permission of the King. That thing, that marionette of a girl, she has no soul, and she has more power than even you."

He snapped back up as the girl addressed him once more. "Cress, do not forget your place. You have been charged with my well being, after all."

"...Yes milady Cressida..."

SKY GOD SLAYER: CHELIA BLENDY
twitter + raptr + myanimelist + tumblr
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
"Reid?" Adela asked with a smile spreading across her face, "I don't know how you can be my friend, since I don't remember ever meeting you, but alright. Where are we going? Are we already there, or what?"

But when Reid slipped and fell face first into the snow, Adela raised an eyebrow and stuck out a hand to help him up, "You're soaking wet! Aren't you cold?"

Inside her mind, a large argument ensued between Xaviae and Jeckt, both of them shouting at the top of their lungs and accusing the other of making the young girl who contained Adela's relationship memories disappear.

"YOUR THE ONE WHO FIRED THE BLAST-"

"IT'S NOT LIKE I WAS AIMING AT HER!! IF YOU HADN'T-"

As their arguments overlapped and both became more frenzied with worry and frustration, a small sigh silenced them both. A young boy sat in a wooden plank swing that hung in a tree. Neither Xaviae, nor Jeckt remembered the prescence of this swing, but Jeckt struggled against his chains with renewed strength when he saw what was sitting in the boy's lap.

"GIVE ME THAT CRYSTAL BALL!!" Jeckt shouted, changing the direction of his vent of anger.

The boy seemed highly unfazed and simply raised an eyebrow, infuriating Jeckt even more as the small boy sighed sadly again, "You want to get her back, don't you?" Jeckt and Xaviae silenced themselves with a new interest in the boy, "Well... I don't know where she went... but I don't think your mediocre powers could hit her. She probably went to the Black Pool, since she's a sissy. Can't get across the Black Pool with Dation though.... You'll just melt right in and disappear forever... It'd be rather nice without you guys though, you're rather loud."

"SHUT YOUR-"

"No!" Xaviae silenced Jeckt with a chain, and said, "Where- Where is the Black Pool?"

The boy, no more than a third of Xaviae's height, stared at Xaviae piteously, "You... don't know where it is?"

"WHY YOU-"

"No, we don't!" Jeckt interjected sweetly, "Please, if you would, show us the way?"

The boy leaned back and tossed the crystal ball up and down, with Jeckt's patience running thin rather fast.

"...Alright. I kind of miss her too. But I'm not going to help you get her back. I don't like the Black Pool. I don't really like the things that live in it, they're kind of gross." He said, hopping off of the swing and tossing the crystal ball up into the air one last time. It disappeared, and Jeckt let out a pitiful whimper when he saw his long-time tool disappear in thin air, "It's that way." He pointed toward the mother tree and when both Jeckt and Xaviae turned their gaze to the tree, the boy was gone when they'd turned their wary gazes back to him.

"THAT SNITCH!" Jeckt shouted, wriggling against the chains with frustration as Xaviae let his shoulders sag dejectedly.

"At least we know it's not permanent though..."

"Nothing's permanent." Jeckt rolled his eyes, still visibly annoyed, "But the problem is how we're supposed to deal with this. We can't. Get. Across. The water. We don't use anything other then Dation, smart one."

"I know that!!" Xaviae snapped, disappearing himself and leaving Jeckt as the only one left.

"Fine then." Jeckt grumbled under his breath, "Just leave me here! It's not like I care about my hard work being lost forever at all!"

Out of breath and with a tone of urgency, Xaviae skid to a stop when he realized he was standing on... nothing! It took him a moment to get over the initial surprise, but shook the idea out of his mind that he might fall as he caught sight of Mistral.

"Mistral!" Xaviae called, "Mistral, I-I acc-accidentally- mind you it was on accident! I..." Xaviae fumbled over his words as he tried to find the best way to describe what he'd done without giving a bad impression of himself, "I er... Well Adela's memories, the part that represents her relationships and stuff?? Uh, I... accidentally made her disappear, and -" Xaviae finally took a breath and wondered how he'd suddenly known what the Black Pool was, "We uh... need your help!"

Grasping the hem of Xaviae's shirt, the boy appeared again, staring up at Mistral with his large blue eyes as he said slowly, "Adela's memories are still yet retrievable. Indeed, her mind is a place where things have twisted upside down quite a few times. Xaviae here, is the real plufael. Jeckt is simply a very sly negafael. The young girl who represents Adela's memories was scared off by a fight between Xaviae and Jeckt. I wouldn't know how myself, but it seems she found a way across the Black Pool, and in the middle is an island. We call that the forgetting place. The Pool doesn't normally open a path for myself unless I begin to remember so many things for Adela that I simply cannot contain it all. So I choose what to remember, and what to forget, and cross a path that opens for this purpose exactly. I'd imagine that since she's there, the longer she stays, the less of Adela's memories we can recover. But as Xaviae explained, those bestowed with the Dation mahstion cannot cross it. It's like water, but there are many dangerous things that lurk in it, so falling in is not really something I would suggest. This is, of course, assuming that you are willing to assist us? I'm sure that anyone else could easily get across if they didn't use Dation, but I'd imagine that, being Reid's fael, Adela's memories will leave the forgetting place with less of a fight."

He smiled up at Mistral, "I hope we're not bothering you."

~ ~ ~

"Why am I not running into anyone?" Aertan snarled, getting more tense by the second. He just wanted their reaction to his unscathed appearance done and over with. And the longer he was kept waiting, the more absurd scenario's he thought of. Reactions he knew he wouldn't be presented with, and ridiculous idea's that were probably fabricated from nothing.

"Faewyn!" Aertan finally caught sight of her, and took a mental effort not to shrink back. She looked... angry, "Uh..." Aertan thought for a moment. What was the most appropriate thing to say after a battle? 'Got 'em good?'

No.

"Are you okay?" Aertan asked, then thinking directly of a better question, "Did you run into any apostles? The one I saw said that there were others. And, was Alicel with you? I haven't seen her since I got on board and I know she wasn't made for fighting."

~ ~ ~ ~

"No!" Villa cried boldly from her own spot in the shadows. She'd not been allowed inside the planning room normally, as she was never welcome at these meetings. She was just the experimental object, and not really quite important for anything else. But that certainly didn't mean she wasn't allowed to stand and listen.

"Please," Villa implored Cressida, seeing a fellow experiment in her instantly simply by her appearance, "The First- The First has done nothing! Nothing against the Padre, The First is our guidance! Nobody has kept us better in check than The First, so... so... don't..."

Villa had hardly known Kira, who died for Kyra, whom she barely knew as well. But it stung like a knife. Surely, surely, the girl who'd been revived would be sad to hear that the girl who had died was gone? Surely, the girl would be punished for failure? Velin, she'd practically never had the courage to speak to. He seemed to exude that air of authority and violence that Villa hated so much. But he was simply one of the people whom Villa could not see being punished for anything. She, who knew more than anyone about the punishments that the Padre could truly give. She, who feared every night that they would disown her for being such a failure, and leave her to face the world as a mutilated freak. What would happen to The First after his imprisonment? Would the Padre threaten him with various devices? Would he put The First through experiments, like he had with Villa herself? Experiments that he would never remember? Or have the burden of remembering every detail?

She swallowed the lump in her throat and looked down, squeezing her eyes shut for the lashes that were inevitably to come, "Don't." She managed to squeak out, nearly inaudible as she trembled, hiding her fingers that were still stained with Alicel's blood behind her back. It was only the shadows that kept the fact that Villa was soaked to the bone secret from the other apostles. Though surely the smell of Wation lingered in the air where it shouldn't have been exuded. Eation and Lionus being Villa's expertise.

Last edited by Loki; November 19th, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old November 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky
Why does there have to be so much pain?

Above the islet, a storm was brewing. Heavy, black clouds loomed threateningly in the sky, fierce winds whipped the unprotected grass and the very air crackled with pent up-energy. Then, in the distance, a booming thunderclap erupted. On queue, the clouds burst open, obscuring the islet in a veil raindrops.

Crimson raindrops.

Faewyn's head jerked up ever so slightly as the voice caught her ears. Her ponytail had broken in all the commotion, stray strands spread across her face, a comforting curtain of teal between her and the rest of the world.

"Are you okay?" the girl's briefly froze at the question. Though not a muscle moved, one could almost hear something snap inside her.

Such hollow words...of course she wasn't okay. He wasn't okay either. No-one was okay. Everyone, every last being on this world was in pain. The only thing that differed was how much of it they showed.

Like a marionette operated by someone with an unsteady hand, her head jerked upwards, the sudden motion sending the strands in front of her face aside as a pair of eyes turned to meet Aertan's.

Bright green eyes, peering into the ex-priest as if they had never seen him before. The girl's face was still flushed with color, her recent tears painfully obvious, but the eyes were unyielding.

No, no-one was okay. There was only one way to be okay, the path that only one of her friends had gotten to take.

An ever so slight breeze blew around her right hand. Not Faewyn's usual chaotic kind of technique, though. No, this mahstion was perfectly focused, elegant as it swirled around her hand, creating the illusion of long, dagger-like claws at the tips of the fingers.

Only one sting, and then...no more pain. Near-instantaneous. Barely enough to register.

"And, was Alicel with you? I haven't seen her since I got on board and I know she wasn't made for fighting."

Faewyn's eyelids shut for a fraction of a second, opening to reveal a warm, brown color. The mahstion disappeared in an instant. "N-no..." the girl replied, her voice still clearly shaken, "I...I haven't seen her since we were at the dock." she took a deep breath in an attempt to calm herself, "I-I was with Reece, he's-" she bit her lip, firmly avoiding eye-contact, "He's got something to deal with on his own. We ran into an apostle, but we-we made it...sort of. Anyway, we should-" she stifled a small sob, still firmly set on brushing past the topic, "We should go and look for Alicel. Maybe-maybe she found some place safe where they couldn't find her?" the hope in her voice was feeble, but the girl clung to it all the same, duly taking point. But then, a thought struck her and she turned to address Aertan once more, "Oh, and I asked that apostle...about-about Juliet. I think...I think he was about to tell me something, but then we heard this terrible scream and he just escaped before answering." she hung her head slightly, "...sorry."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velin was alarmed.

It wasn't the doll girl's proclamation that had caused it, nor Cress' warning or even the knowledge that this creature had the sacrifice inside of her. These things weren't altogether unexpected, though he had to admit that given the padre's outspoken distaste for apostles, it was ironic that he'd rely on one for his own coup. No, what really alarmed him was Villa. Hearing her speak up, especially in his defense, had been unexpected and a reckless risk to take for one of her standing, but it went deeper than that: Villa smelled of blood, and not only that, she was wet. Not just regularly wet either, no...she stank of wation, and if Velin could tell then Cressida certainly could. Didn't the failure have any idea of what danger she was placing herself in?

"Silence, Villa." the first thundered, quickly moving in between Villa and the doll girl, "Return to your exercises; this is none of your concern." his voice had been as cold and scolding as always, but Villa was most likely bright enough to spot the lack of red in his hair, not to mention note the fact that this was the first time he hadn't referred to her as 'failure', "As for you. I will of course comply to the order if the priesthood so decrees. However..." he stared unflinchingly into his adversary's eyes. The more attention he drew to himself, the less likely Cressida was to pick up on the obvious case of insubordination that was currently concealed behind his back, "To my knowledge, a decision of this magnitude would have to be approved by the high priests in a disciplinary hearing, and the hearing itself would require a week's notice before assembly, yet when I left a mere day ago, there was no word of such a thing, nor have I been asked to attend any such meeting. Perhaps you could explain this little detail for me? Certainly, the good padre does not consider himself above the laws of the great Thylonstus?" this was a crazy gamble, but Velin truly didn't fear any pain. They had tried to break him with that for ages and never succeeded. No, he would play this game to its fullest, maybe even obtain some much needed information in the process, he could only hope that the other apostles were paying attention and ready to make us of it, "After all, we are all His faithful servants, and it is regretful how often we forget that there are no hierarchies before Him."

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Last edited by Alter Ego; November 22nd, 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Aertan watched Faewyn carefully as she replied. His brow furrowed, not blind to her obvious distress. Had that apostle said something to her? But he could hardly focus on that. She hadn't even noticed that he was completely unscathed, and that bothered him more than if she'd told him off. Aertan chewed on the inside of of his lip as he tried to think of something to say. Something that wouldn't be completely insensitive, but... Well. One thing was for sure. Aertan wasn't about to ask about Reece. There was a reason that he wasn't with Faewyn, unlike Aertan had expected. There was a reason that Faewyn had left someone behind.

"Maybe." Aertan said, uncomfortably, trying to block out exactly what could've happened if Alicel's opponent had been on the same caliber as Arturo, "We should er... go find her then."

He was all ears however, when Faewyn began to speak about Juliet. He clenched his fist when she said that she'd heard nothing, but turned his gaze away at once, loosening his hand and swallowing, trying to get rid of the sour taste in his mouth. Taking a deep breath, Aertan managed to reply in an even tone.

"The apostle I fought." Aertan said burning his frustrated gaze into the wooden planks, as he ignored the white and crimson hair that was whipping and sticking to his face, "Said that..."

The thought that it was Carn who had ordered Juliet’s capture caused his teeth to lock together. He was confused. Angry. So they’d done all this and blamed it on Tealia? So he was here for no reason? Juliet had been fine in the first place? If she was fine, then why was she locked up? Aertan looked up at the next thought that crossed his mind. Why was he going to such lengths to save a girl he’d met only once?

“She’s fine.” Aertan managed to say, turning from Faewyn entirely and walking to his right, as Faewyn had come from before him, telling him that Alicel was nowhere along that path, “Anyway, since it’s raining, we should find everybody before they get sick, if they’re hurt and can’t move on their own or something.”

Aertan stopped in his tracks for a moment, turning his head towards where Faewyn was, but not looking directly at her. He took a breath to say something, but paused again, before closing his mouth and changing his mind. Finding out about her parents had never been his job in the first place. But he still felt somewhat guilty that Faewyn had thought of asking about Juliet, while her parents hadn’t crossed his mind even once during his and Arturo’s battle.

“Let’s go.”

ooc; I'll post Villa's side after David posts~
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

"Seriously. This relationship is NOT going to work out if I have to clean up all of your messes." Mistral sighed after listening to the pleas from within Adela's consciousness. "I'm not going to be some sort of house wife, you know. But I guess I owe you two a favor since Jeckt saved me after Maelstrom attacked me. Though I don't believe I'll be trusting him anymore." She sent the negafael a glare that would pierce his very soul. "Fine, but Reid and Maelstrom are coming too."

"Wait, wha-" Reid's sentence broke off as his body fell backwards onto the icy dock, his head banging off of the cold wood. However, no reaction towards pain could be seen, just a motionless body. Meanwhile, in Adela's head, Reid and Maelstrom appeared beside Mistral, completely bewildered. "...What did you do now?"

"She brought us into Adela's mind, idiot. Probably because she won't be able to take the dation by her lonesome, and she couldn't leave me alone in your body because I'd take it over, correct?" The dark haired Mistral, otherwise known as Maelstrom said. A large scar ran up her right cheek from her conflict with Mistral, and she was dressed in a white sundress now as opposed to the armor she had been wearing during their last encounter.

Mistral looked offended at the 'idiot' comment, and it wasn't even her she was addressing. "Right. So, let's get this over with!" She exclaimed as she grabbed the hands of the two and dragged them into the black water. It tingled with pain at first, but that eventually subsided after they got used to it. Along the way, the three were constantly bickering. They finally arrived at their destination, and as told, the girl was there. Mistral approached the girl without the other two, and extended her hand with a big smile. "Hey there, want to come back with us?"

--------

"You are mistaken. We are nothing but disposable pawns used for the purpose of Carn. If you were told of any paperwork, it was a lie." Still no emotion was present in her voice. She truly was inhuman, and it was pitiful. The girl exited the room, expecting Velin to follow. Before the man whom Cress hated had left, he decided to leave him some final words.

"Azyla went to Meredy to speak to the Queen on our behalf. If all goes well, we'll be free of this hellhole." He said quietly, for Cressida's ears were sharp. "I know you have your pride, but you're going to need to suck it up."

When all was said and done, Kyra began to stir in the bloody mess that was all that remained of her sister. "...What's going o-" Her eye caught sight of the decapitated head in the corner of the room, and she just froze. "K-k-k-kira!?" She shrieked, got to her feet, and backed away, only to trip over the corpse and land face first in another pool of blood. She got to her knees again, and wiped some of the blood off from around her eyes before crawling over the the corpse and beginning to bawl with all three eyes. "What... happened to you."

All Cress could do was watch as this unfolded. Everything used to seem clear about their kind, but not now. The people they were composed of. Were they people that had friends and family that loved them like Rosaline and Juliet did? Was this all right? Should they exist? He slowly walked about behind Kyra, and grabbed her in an attempt to move her away. Like a feral animal, the small girl clamped onto his arm with her teeth, tears still pouring from her eyes, while shouting the name of her deceased sister, and he dropped her in reaction. The poor soul quickly crawled back over to the headless corpse and buried her head into it's clothing as she continued to cry.

Arturo, without saying a word, left. He had things he needed to check into, and something he had to ensure.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

"Spoilsport."

Isair didn't dignify his sinister twin's comment with an answer, merely focusing harder on the links of vivid green that had appeared to replace their missing comrades on the chain, which he then tightened to bring the negafael's right hand back to full immobility. The storm had calmed, but a slow shower of crimson still fell from above, and the heavy clouds still hung above them.

"She invited me, you know." Typhoeus continued conversationally, "All I did was follow her wishes."

"Ones you planted in her head, negafael." Isair remarked, still not making eye contact.

"Perhaps." the white-haired one replied with the closest thing to a shrug he could manage from the cross, "But you know as well as I that they would never have taken root if she wasn't receptive towards them to begin with, plufael."

"Everyone has darkness in their heart." the plufael replied levelly, "But that does not make her 'receptive'. Need I remind you that it was Faewyn who threw you out just now?"

"Momentary confusion."

"Momentary clarity is more like it."

"I'll get my chance."

"And I'll be there to take it away from you."

"Oh, please." Typhoeus snorted, "Spare me the facade. You seem to be forgetting who's one arm short at the moment."

"And you seem to be forgetting who's chained down right now."

"Chains can be broken."

"Wounds can be healed."

"Persistent, aren't you?"

Isair gave a light shrug, "That's what Faewyn needs me to be."

His twin gave him a malicious little grin, "Maybe I'm the way Faewyn needs me to be too." he replied, "Ever though about that, saint-boy? She's drawn to suffering, she revels in it. Maybe my purpose, the one which you are so rudely keeping me from, is to satisfy that craving."

Isair's gaze was firmly nailed elsewhere, "Faewyn is opposed to suffering."

"But..." Typhoeus continued triumphantly, "She needs something to oppose, no?"

"..."

"Shall I take that as the silence of consent?"

"..."

Still maintaining his calm appearance, Isair let his gaze and attention wander from the gloating figure on the cross to the black clouds above. Though he would never admit to Typhoeus being right, this latest development troubled him. That possession attempt had been way too close for comfort, and had the ex-priest not mentioned Alicel, it may have been more than just close. First Rosaline's disappearance, then the disappointment of conversing with the apostle, the feeling of having let Reid down, then Reece crossing the line. There were simply too many disappointments. Too many. Even with his support, it was a miracle that the chains of Faewyn's heart had held up at all. Only one was truly solid right now; if that broke...a small frown on his face, his lips barely moving as they pronounced a tiny message, its contents lost under the breeze.

"Aertan...please don't upset her."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faewyn hadn't missed the obvious disappointment in Aertan's manner, but when the ex-priest explained about having heard that Juliet was alright, the girl relaxed slightly. At this point, any good news - even news that didn't directly concern her - was good news.

"That...that's a relief." she replied, a thought suddenly striking her, "Oh, and Rosaline is alright too. That apostle said that they were just keeping her imprisoned right now, in...the apostle headquarters." she sighed, "That's not narrowing it down a lot, but at least we know that they're both alright for the moment. You know, I bet-" she paused, catching herself in mid-statement. There was no proof for her wild assumption that Carn was behind Juliet's abduction - pulled completely out of the blue, of course - and though the apostle's reaction suggested that she had struck gold, she didn't want to lead Aertan on with any hopes that could turn out false, "-no, never mind that." she added hastily, "I was just thinking out loud, that's all."

For a moment, it seemed like Aertan had had something to say too, but he seemed to have decided against it as well, and so the next few moments of searching were spent in awkward silence. It was then that it suddenly struck her how silly it was not to make any kind noise for their friend to locate them by.

"Alicel!" Faewyn called out tentatively, her voice still hoarse from the recent screaming and crying she had done but still carrying a fair way down the hall, "Where are you?! Are you okay?!"

"You're a girl after the good padre's heart, I see." Velin remarked, referring of course to Cressida's brutally blunt and straightforward answer. He honestly couldn't tell whether she was deceptive or just plain ignorant, but he knew very well that the padre was over-extending his authority on more than one count and most likely this creature hadn't been built to protest. How surprisingly ambitious of that sorry excuse for a human being. Cress' remark about 'sucking up his pride' was redundant; what kind of fool did he take him for? Velin had never been one to object unless he knew that he stood to gain from it. In this case, he obviously didn't. Inconvenient though it was, there were too many targets about - the biggest of which was still painted on Villa's forehead - and she wasn't about to let this upstart obliterate everything he had labored so carefully to set up. Being locked up didn't bother him; he could use the thinking time, and he had yet to find a cell that could contain his true power, but not getting to decide on how long that period would be was a bother. Still, not as big a bother as taking this creature on.

Without another word, the first apostle strode towards the exit, but he stopped in the doorway for the briefest of moments, not even turning to address the remaining occupants of the room.

"I trust that the other apostles will remember their duties in my absence."

There were many orders entrenched in those simple words: look after Kyra, find out what the heck the padre is up to and how he's doing it, and above all: don't get yourselves killed in the process. He just had to hope that they were bright enough to deduce all that since there was no opportunity for private conversation. Inconvenient though it was, he would have to rely on the failures for now.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

ooc;; I'm so sorry that all my posts have been so messy. Dx;; I'm trying to wrap up all these things that I've started. </3 And this is by far the messiest post of all. I just gotta get all these things done and then we can get on with the RP. xD;;

ic;; Aertan glanced over his shoulder. He was curious as to what Faewyn had been planning on saying, but didn't press the issue, as he'd stopped himself from speaking what was on his mind as well. As the silence dragged on, Aertan could only think of his purpose. He knew for sure by now that he could care less for Rosaline's well-being. But what truly bothered Aertan was that he could feel the fact that he was starting to care less and less about Juliet. Thinking more practically with the idea that he'd only met her once or twice, and never actually spoken directly to her. He was snapped out of his reverie however, when Faewyn began to call Alicel's name. Pausing in thought, Aertan stared at the floor for a few minutes.

"Haeon't, Geote." Aertan stated, looking up at them both and nodding. The two hands stretched out and bent around corners, up and down stair cases, until Aertan was pulled roughly forward to his right, letting out an 'Ouch!' while he fell smack onto his face. He looked highly unamused when he sat up, muttering curse words under his breath before being dragged forward again.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" Aertan snapped, trying to get to his feet as Geote continued to pull Aertan forwards in urgency, really only succeeding in sliding across the floor. Haeon't quickly came back however, and picked Aertan up by the collar, setting him on his feet before hesitating.

"Geote says he's found her." Haeon't's raspy voice came, "He says you should probably hurry it up."

Aertan furrowed his brow, massaging the spot where his right wing connected to his back, "What are you-"

He fell to the floor face-first again as Geote pulled again. But this time, Aertan stood quickly and turned to Faewyn, "Let's hurry."

Picking up his pace to a run to keep Geote from pulling on him again, Aertan only had to round a corner and open the door that led to one of the smaller decks to find exactly what he and Faewyn had been looking for. Stepping forward, Aertan pulled his foot back when he found that the whole deck was soaked in water, and started to go back around the corner to tell Faewyn to hurry. He decided against it though, thinking that it'd be better if she was unaware of this for even a second longer. He was vaguely aware that the water that was around her was a pinkish color, and that the wall she was thrown against had blood spattered over the spot where her back rested against it.

Though Aertan couldn't exactly find it in him to be terribly worried, he was hectic to make sure she was still, at the very least, alive.

"Haeon't, check a pulse." Aertan said, "Geote, what's keeping her chained to that wall?"

"Eation." Geote replied, reeling back and slamming his fist against the stubbornly hardened sand, "Fortified-with-Lionus." He said, speaking between attacks on the cuffs.

"She's just unconcious." Haeon't reported, withdrawing her clawed fingers from Alicel's neck. She noticed a small bag at Alicel's feet as Geote noticed the writing next to Alicel's head.

"Open it." Geote told Haeon't, and Haeon't pulled the drawstring bag open, releasing a great burst of Lionus that weaved itself into the holes on Alicel's torso.

"What the heck are you guys-" Aertan shouted, but when the Lionus disappeared, Alicel was quite fine, albeit a little bloody, while the extra Lionus burned itself into the wood at Alicel's feet. Aertan called Haeon't and Geote back as he knelt beside the second engraving.

'Till next time’ it said.

Bang. Aertan started when he heard the sudden noise, turning to see Alicel crumpled on the ground and bits of Eation and Lionus evaporating into the air.

~

Villa complied with Velin’s first order immediately, though she looked extremely disappointed. No matter what, she was still a failure, and she’d even failed in this. Villa had, however, succeeded in deciphering his second order. Even if she didn’t know that this was something she hadn’t failed at.

Staring at the place where Kira’s head should’ve once been, Villa stepped forward, feeling safer now that it was really only Cress, Kyra, and herself in the room.

Bending over to pick up Kira’s head, Villa walked as quietly as she could over to Kyra, before situating herself on her knees and using Lionus to heal the cut between Kira’s neck and head. Though the other apostle was no more alive then she’d been just a few seconds ago, Villa glanced at Kyra, who was still crying, and mumbled, “I’m sorry, that I can’t do more.”

~

Jeckt scoffed when Mistral glared at him, “It’s not my fault that you have to go save the girl. And of course, me lying to you was completely uncalled for, even though I’m a negafael-“

But it wasn’t as if anyone were listening to the one chained up to the mother tree.

The little girl looked up at Mistral with a tear-streaked and offended face, about to snap at her but then she saw Reid in the water, and glanced at Mistral quickly. As the little girl decided on who Mistral was, she grabbed the outstretched hand, and dragged Mistral back into the water, but this time, the whole pool parted for the little girl, showing that it was actually rather shallow for a lake. She ran, pulling Mistral behind her, and stopped abruptly in front of Reid.

“I know you.” She stated childishly, staring up at Reid with awe, “But I don’t want you to be here.” She glanced at the wall of black water, where human-like figures floated around, unable to penetrate the Dation, “Thank you for coming though. Maybe next time, I’ll meet you somewhere prettier.” Smiling, she closed her eyes and let go of Mistral’s hand, shutting Adela’s mind and sending Mistral, Maelstrom, and Reid back to Reid’s mind.

Meanwhile, Adela had been confused as to exactly what happened to Reid, and why he’d suddenly just conked out.

“Are you okay Reid?” Adela asked, a tone of urgency in her voice as she looked to see if the collision had caused any bleeding, “What happened?”

“So what memories did you pay?” A young boy on a swing that hung from a lone weeping willow asked a little girl who was picking flowers that grew around the single tree. She looked up and smiled.

“I didn’t really like it when that other girl kissed Reid.” She said, holding an armful of daffodils.

Last edited by Loki; November 25th, 2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

OOC: For the record, I'm waiting for you two to hurry up with whatever the heck it is you're doing before I post again. XD Sorry for the delay once again. I've been having horrible connection luck lately. XD Anyways, Bell already knows this, but whenever we get around to Act III, it's going to take place 5 years later. Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of that!

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

OOC: Five years?

o.o

Like, whoa...didn't see that one coming. x3 Anyways, sorry for the delay in posting: I've been sort of busy with fanfic reviews (and writing) lately, not to mention running around university info seminars. Oh well, posting time. ^0^

IC:

As word of Alicel reached her, Faewyn had no interjections to Aertan's request, immediately setting of into a sprint after the ex-priest who - in turn - was being hauled forward by his ghoulish faels. The girl's heart pounded with a mixture of fear and relief as she followed her guide. Relief over the fact that Alicel had been found, but fear over the condition she might have been in. What if she hadn't avoided the fray like Faewyn had thought? What if she was hurt? What if-what if she was-

'No!' Faewyn scolded herself firmly for the last thought, shaking her head in protest. She would not believe something like that that about her friend, not without proof. She refused! A bit more secure in her newfound conviction, Faewyn turned her full attention back to her surroundings just as they rounded yet another corner to face...

"Alicel!"

The girl had completely missed the scene with the bag, but there was no missing the disturbing amount of blood in the room, or the fact that Alicel was unconscious. At the sight, Faewyn practically collapsed next to her friend, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the floor was still soaking wet as she turned to inspect her friend's body, tears welling up in her eyes again.

"Alicel..." she mumbled, as if in trance. Not another, she couldn't possibly have lost another...what if-it was then that she felt something, a subtle motion in the body she was holding, was that...a pulse? Looking up with newfound hope, she turned to Aertan, "I she...she's alive, right?"

Meanwhile in the medical room of the ship, a solitary figure was locked in thought, his amber eyes fixed on the large bandage wrapped around the better part of the torso without really seeing it. His shirt had been removed for the procedure, and his weapon lay forgotten in the corner of the room.

"I must say..." interjected the voice of the doctor he had managed to haul out of hiding, attempting to make conversation as he inspected the cuts on his patient's neck, "You area very lucky man, Mr. Everard. Both of these wounds are mere inches away from critical spots, if either cut were any deeper, there might not have been anything that I could do."

Reece gave no reply at first, but noting the doctor's expectations he finally managed to respond, if somewhat lukewarmly, "Oh."

The doctor shook his head, "Not much fazes you, does it?" he remarked, "Well, whatever this technique you were subjected to is, my advice is to steer clear of anyone wielding it. I've never seen wounds like this; this doesn't just burn like regular Fionus, it lingers to undo any attempts at mahstion-based healing, though...you probably noticed that already."

"Yeah." Reece grimaced at the memory of the recent attempt at Lionus healing, which had resulted in the newly grown patches of skin immediately bursting into flames. He had been given some sort of painkiller, but even so the pain was excruciating. Strangely enough, it wasn't the wounds that bothered him, though, not the physical ones at least...

"Have you, even once, stopped to consider the feelings of those people?!"

Consider feelings? Those words...could they be true? Had what he thought of as heroism and helpfulness really been nothing more than a big ego trip? Had he been needlessly sheltering Faewyn when his intention had always been to protect her? Had he really been...inconsiderate? And Sieglinde...if it wasn't for Sieglinde, then...the wound on his stomach protested again, but the soldier willed himself to ignore it. This was nothing, this was absolutely nothing to what his recklessness had put the fael through. If Sieglinde didn't complain then he certainly had no right to. The doctor droned on, but his words were helplessly drowned beneath those from his memory, from a far more grizzled, old doctor he had become acquainted with long ago.

"You're a damn fool."

He remembered a searing pain, he remembered wishing for the wing to be removed, just to make the pain stop, he remembered a little girl with teal hair staring at his silent enduring of the torment with eyes full of wonder and admiration, and above all, he remembered the words she had whispered to him as she gave him a childish little pat on the head after the operation:

"I think you were very brave, mister."

Reece cast a dismal glance at a mirror located opposite of him, staring his reflection straight in the eye. His lips moved soundlessly, forming the words that he should have formed way back then:

No, not brave.

Just a damn fool.

Last edited by Alter Ego; December 2nd, 2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Aertan turned his gaze to Faewyn after he'd burned the words etched into the wood with Fionus, until it was just a blackened sooty . Nobody else needed to see that ominously foreshadowing scribble of Lionus. He glanced at Alicel warily before saying, "I haven't checked myself, but Haeon't says she's alive, and at this point, unharmed."

Aertan stood, and walked over to where the opened bag now lay piteously empty of it's contents. Picking it up, Aertan examined it silently, before crushing it in his hand, and watching one last tendril of Lionus fall out with as much energy as a dying dog. The tendril heaved itself up to Aertan's stump of a left hand and after touching it once, disappeared entirely. Scoffing, Aertan shoved the bag into his pocket and turned to Faewyn, snapping his fingers and brushing right past her as Haeon't and Geote lifted Alicel out of Faewyn's grasp.

"We should find everyone else." He said, before stopping at the doorway to wait for Faewyn.

ooc;; I'd say we've finished up. Unless AE's gotta do something, you can just assume that we're already at the deck or something, so we can get movin'. ^^;; Sorry for the hold-up. And the super short post. xD;;
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

OOC: Nope, I'm good. :3 Sorry for the full OOC, but with the discussion thread being locked up and all...well, just didn't want anyone waiting on my account. You can assume Reece having found his way up on deck too. I'd give an IC, but given that there's not really anything more to say right now, I don't think it would be worth it. D=

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

"...What happened?" Reid muttered in reply as he got to his feet, eying the girl carefully. Well, it would make sense that she wouldn't have been conscious when it had all taken place. In the end, he decided against informing her of all the details. If needed, her faels would do the explaining anyways. "Just... don't listen to Jeckt anymore. He's an idiot." The the realm of faels, their subconsciousnesses, Mistral stuck her tongue out in the bound Jeckt's direction, as if she had manipulated Reid into saying what he had. The two truly were opposites, through and through. The group numbers finally increased as the rest of their merry band rejoined the ranks. "...Nice of you guys to show up." The brown haired boy murmured as he brought his right hand to his forehead, and buried his face in it. It was one of those days that just put him in a plain old bad mood, and the fact that he was ticked off shined brightly. "Faewyn, you lead. We don't have time to dilly dally around here, since they know our location." He grimaced, full well knowing this meant he wouldn't have an opportunity to get changed into warmer clothes. "You know the country, so you need to take us to where we need to go..."

OOC: Really short post, and I apologize. I don't want to touch on the apostles for a bit.

Old December 4th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

"I...oh, okay."

Faewyn had almost forgotten about their mission in all the commotion. After the relieving news that Alicel was alive and well, she had entertained the hope that maybe, maybe things would get more peaceful for a while, that they'd take a small pause to properly tend to their wounded and swap news, but one glance at Reid had been enough to crush that frail little hope. He was angry, she could tell, angry and disappointed.

Disappointed with her.

The girl hung her head ever so slightly as she disembarked the ship with the others behind her, the sound of boots striking cobbled pavement or the occasional pile of half-melted snow and the howl of the northern wind constituting the only sounds. This whole thing just felt wrong. She was home now, there was no mistaking the steep mountain tops and biting gale, she was with friends, so why...why couldn't she be happy? Faewyn risked only the briefest of glances at the others, not wanting them to spot her gloomy expression. She still couldn't bring herself to look at Reece, the soldier currently keeping the rear of the group, though she suspected that this was more for the wounds than any strategic reason. His expression was one of grim determination, his whole attention seemingly focused on the task at hand. Faewyn bit her lip, wishing to speak up in her usual manner but finding that she couldn't. Everyone seemed so...tense, so focused, and no matter how much she wanted to lighten up the oppressive mood, Faewyn just couldn't help the feeling that her usual brand of chit-chat wouldn't be appreciated.

'When...when did it get like this?' she pondered for herself as she navigated a path between the structures surrounding the docking bay. As was standard for Beta, the architecture was practical in the extreme, dominated by well-isolated stone structures with steep, reversed V-shaped roofs, designed to allow the snow to slide down before it reached roof-breaking volumes. Thick, metal pipes, the likes of which were embedded beneath the streets, snaking their ways across walls and into the pavement, the thermal energy radiating from them keeping the streets clear while the ever-so-slight tilt caused the excess water to slither down into the drains on the sides. There were so many things she would have liked to tell her friends, so many things that Reid should have known too - about the faels, the things Velin had said - but she just couldn't take the chance. What if Reid would get even angrier? What if he and Reece ended up in a fight and-

"Here now, what's this supposed to be, then?"

Faewyn was snapped out of her thoughts as the demanding male voice struck her eardrums, the girl's attention immediately snapping to the man in front of him. He was dressed in a thick, grey fur coat, with an equally thick hat of the same color residing on his head, a pair of heavy, black boots on his feet residing on the street as he maintained a casual pose. Between the tall collar of the coat and the flaps on each side of the hat, the man's features were almost completely obscured, save for the piercing blue eyes and the reddened nose, but Faewyn's mind immediately registered 'militia'. Sure enough, several other figures donning equally casual clothing - well, by Beta standards anyway - were located around the area. The Betan military had never been particularly big, and as such they had never had a thing for openly flaunting their allegiance either. Discretion was the better part of valor, after all.

Right until they pounced.

"Tealian soldiers, eh?" the man continued, taking a few steps forward as he gave the group a critical glance, "Some of you, at least, and armed to the teeth by the looks of you." his eyes narrowed, even as his hands remained casually stuffed in the pockets of his coat, "Well, out with it; what's your business here in Beta? If you really do represent the Tealian military then you should already know that you have no right to bear arms here. We may be a peaceful nation, but we don't take kindly to bands of armed hooligans traversing our streets."

OOC: Yeah, gonna' have to stop here. Do with the security guy as you please, official papers or whatever, I just thought it would be odd for a group this bizarre not to attract any attention whatsoever (and I needed a point to cut this post off at, so...).

Last edited by Alter Ego; December 4th, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

Reid rolled his eyes at the appearance of Beta's militia. This was unexpected, but not as unexpected as for the boy to be unprepared. "Reid Davies, Tealian Special Forces." The boy whipped his badge out of his front pocket and threw it at the man who appeared to be the leader, along with a stack of papers. The man gave him a look that implied he was questioning whether or not that was the truth. After all, Reid had no wings, and wingless were rare in any forces other than in the Underneath. "I'm sure you'll find these in order. We're only here to visit the home of our friend here, nothing more. No trouble will come of this." He was lying through his teeth, of course. He failed to relay the true nature of the mission, and he suspected they would be attacked by the apostles again while present in the country, so trouble most likely wouldn't be avoided. "However, if you feel you'd like to question these orders, I'm required to inform you ahead of time that I am permitted to use force within the borders of any country as per Section 4, Clause 5 of the International Defense Agreement signed by all nations in 85 Y.Z." With that said, Reid motioned to the rest of the group to keep moving, hoping this militia wasn't stupid enough to try and pursue them. As a final warning, Reid decided to speak up as he walked past them. "Remember, if anything were to happen to us, Tealia would be here in a snap. Last I checked, our forces GREATLY outnumber yours." He then walked up behind Faewyn and whispered into her ear. "Keep walking, I'll stay in the back in case they really DO try something."

Old December 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Aertan’s gaze was most likely that of an incredibly hostile and defensive look. Even he knew what kind of dark expression must’ve crossed his face when the soldier had referred to him as a hooligan. And a Tealian soldier. Having long calmed his mind earlier from being worried about the others doubting his loyalty due to him being completely unharmed, (nobody seemed to even notice,) Aertan had enough sense to paint a light look of indifference onto his face. The ex-priest found himself unable to find a place to put his gaze, as he didn’t want to stare at the Beta troops, nor did he want to look at the endless masses of snow. He finally glanced at Alicel’s limp figure for the first time since he’d told Haeon’t and Geote to pick her up. It was an interesting idea to ponder, as to why Reid had made no comment about Alicel, but Aertan wasn’t particularly looking forward to delay because of her anyway. It just seemed like she was just unconscious now, in no state of danger; Except for the danger of the accumulating annoyance that Aertan was suffering from. Why should he have to carry her about?

A pair of crimson eyes disappeared underneath Aertan’s eyelids as he let the smallest smirk grace his lips, hearing Reid vouch for their position in a way that really didn’t impress the priest. After all, one could certainly tell that Reid was just hardly a teenager, let alone an adult who could threaten others with the statement ‘I am permitted to use force’. Aertan opened his eyes again and kept a confused expression from surfacing as he thought about the principles about violence he’d been preached about on a daily basis when he was younger, reminding him of Tylonstus, which consequently brought his gaze to his left arm. He should’ve changed the bandages on his arm halfway to Beta. But, the Apostle attack had delayed that. Well, Aertan reasoned, looking away defiantly, it wasn’t important anyway. The stump of an arm hadn’t caused him any pain since the morning anyway.

Adela, who hadn't let herself ponder over Reid's words about Jeckt for very long before she was ushered off the ship, folded her arms. She grabbed Reid’s shoulder, pulling him back and stepping up to the plate herself.

“My sincerest apologies for his rude behavior.” Adela said with a fabricated voice that feigned remorse, her excellent acting skills when it came to being innocent and sweet being applied in the heaviest coatings as she tilted her head down, “I hope it won’t be a bother, for you to read the paperwork. We intend no harm here in Beta, so please forgive us for being armed,” She chimed, smiling as disarmingly as she could as she extracted her badge from the side pocket of her bag, “It’s essential that we are able to protect ourselves at all times. I hope it’s no trouble…?”

A little boy and girl watched the whole scene from inside Adela’s mind, and after Adela’s rather blunt and rude behavior toward Reid, the boy lifted his gaze up to the girl, who was turning a deep shade of red.

“…Way to be.” The boy said sarcastically, referring to both Adela’s rude attitude to Reid after he’d helped her retrieve her memories and the little girl’s overreaction that caused the whole scenario in the first place.

“I-I can’t help that she doesn’t remember what happened!” She retorted defensively, flushing even more as she stuck her nose up in the air.
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

"I see."

The officer's response to Reid's and Adela's combined assault was rather reminiscent of the air around him: calm and utterly frigid. Casting a quick glance at the documents and realizing, much like anyone who had dealt with bureaucracy for a longer period of time, that the accuracy of these documents was barely an issue; their wording and sheer mass kept the information content spread so thin and scattered so far that piecing it together on the spot was a futile endeavor. Instead, he focused on inspecting Reid's badge carefully while his cohorts slowly tightened their ranks in front of the advancing group. Just as Faewyn was afraid that it was all going to burst into conflict, however, the leader calmed his men with a simple hand gesture.

"It's alright." he said at last, walking back to the group, "Your story holds for now. However, I'm required to inform you that the International Defense Agreement you cited does not cover foreign agents undertaking any action that may be seen as compromising the national security of the country in question, including the perusing, copying, or obtaining of any documents of considerable military or political importance. Any such behavior will be interpreted as an open declaration of war on the sovereign nation of Beta, and under such circumstances any agreements concerning the withholding of specific documents -- ones which, I feel inclined to add, the nation of Carn has expressed keen interest in -- will be considered null and void." his face was mere inches from Reid's as he ended his speech, unceremoniously placing an object in the teenager's hand, "Your badge, Tealian Special Forces agent Reid Davies. I wish you a pleasant stay."

With that and another quick hand gesture, his henchmen moved back, allowing the group free passage. Faewyn still kept an eye on the officer, experiencing the uncomfortable sensation that the other was doing the same to her, and it wasn't until they had left the thick fur coat a good bit behind them that the girl finally managed to breathe out.

"That...was close." the girl said in a hushed voice, "We should do this fast. A lot of military people knew mama and I don't like the way he was looking at me." she gave an involuntary shudder, "I was really small back when we had officers checking in on the house, but if he does a background check he will figure it out and then we're in trouble. Come on." she quickened her pace, "It's just a little bit further and then we're...here."

With that, Faewyn came to a halt between one of the many houses lining the streets. On the outside, it didn't look that different from the others: just a pair of hexahedron-shaped blocks, a smaller one perched on a larger, with reverse-V roofs, but the sight didn't fail to illicit a nostalgic little smile from Faewyn as she stepped on the third of the small, wooden stairs leading up to the front door.

"Hasn't changed a bit..." she mumbled in a voice choked with emotion, but she soon snapped out from her reverie, realizing that the others were probably freezing, impatient, and not at all in the mood for her childhood reveries, "Oh, hold on..." she mumbled, fumbling around her pockets, "Just a moment...I've got something right here." smiling triumphantly, the girl procured a small metallic object from her pocket. It was a key, just a regular house key, the luster of its gray surface long since lost to age. Though it was obvious that it had been carried around for quite a while, it was equally obvious that it had been taken care of with great care. There was no sign of rust on the object, and as Faewyn pressed it into the keyhole, prodding it in for a while to dislodge the ice that had gathered inside of it, the lock gave a resounding click, the door it was attached to offering no resistance as the girl pushed it open, even as the hinges groaned at the inconvenience.

The inside of the house was dark and coated with dust and - not unsurprisingly - the light switch gave no reaction when Faewyn pushed it. No-one had occupied the house for a long time; it stood to reason that no-one would keep supplying electricity and water to it either. Faewyn didn't mind, though; she remembered. As soon as she had slipped out of her boots and felt the old floorboards beneath her feet, the memories came rushing back. It was like each and every plank was an old friend she had almost forgotten about, and she could practically see the interior in front of her as she wandered through the entry hall and into the darkened interior of the living room. The couch just slightly to the left of the center, overlooking the square-shaped wooden table and the fireplace in the wall, the bookcases one the left-hand wall, occupying every bit between itself and the large window at the middle of the wall, papa's armchair in the corner, the staircase up to their personal rooms, the kitchen on the right with its tiled floor...they were all right there in front of her, even though she remembered how all the furniture was covered beneath white sheets to protect it from dust, like so many ghosts out in the gloom.

Faewyn suddenly shook her head. No, she couldn't get sidetracked by memories now. This was a mission, an important one, and they didn't have time to spare for this sort of thing. Inwardly reprimanding herself for spacing off, Faewyn wandered over to the nearest window, pulling the curtains aside and allowing light to flood into the living room as she unlocked and opened the window to let some fresh air in. The place was dusty, a fact that was all the more evident in the daylight, but besides that she was pleased to note that everything was precisely in the order she had left it: tucked away beneath the protective sheets.

"Come on in!" pausing by the entrance of the kitchen where the next set of curtains lay in wait, "I'm just going to open up some windows and then I'll be right with you!"

OOC: HOMG, I did manage to retype this tonight after all. It's not as detailed as the original, but it should do the job. x3

Last edited by Alter Ego; December 8th, 2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

"She's opening windows in a place with this kind of climate?" Mistral spat rudely to nobody other than Reid. While so much different than the boy, it seemed faels shared some similarities with their hosts. Since Reid was cold, the fael girl was feeling a similar annoyance by the bitterly frigid air, enough so that Reid's inner mind had taken the form of a tundra. Like Reid, Mistral was apparently easily irritated when nature wasn't in her favor. Reid sneezed. While he was allergic to dust, and an inspection of the house provided evidence to that being the cause, there was the chance he had indeed caught a cold. The boy sighed, before snapping his fingers, allowing a light breeze to float through the house, lifting a good majority of the dust and replacing the old and stale smelling air.

Reid hadn't said anything when Adela had stepped in back when the militia had appeared, and he had said nothing to her since. What was he doing!? He was so confused. On one hand, he had promised Rosaline he would protect her, but he couldn't even do that! Then there was Adela, whom he was now contemplating his intentions with. Did he really feel anything, or was that just him being a fool and rushing in to something? Oh well, there was no point dwelling on it.

"Faewyn, we need to find what we're looking for and then we need to go to sleep." Reid announced to the whole group, although directed to the girl. "It wouldn't be smart to stay in one place for too long with those apostles aware of where we are. We're leaving in the morning."

-------

"We're attacking in the morning!?" Cress spat at Cressida, who just stared blankly at him. The entire group of apostles (Velin obviously excluded) had been summoned to the drawing room, where Cressida gave them their new orders as per the padre's request. The apostle boy grinned slightly. The stupid padre would be coming with them to evaluate the worth of each apostle. That would be the perfect time to strike, since he wasn't bringing any troops. He seemed to think Cressida would be adequate protection.

The big thing that worried Cress, however, was Kyra. Ever since her sister's death, she had been more quiet than usual, not even glancing at anyone. This kind of personality was dangerous, because there was no way to predict their next move...

Old December 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Villa stood quietly, listening with a wistful expression. It was unusual, as when she was assigned missions that didn't involve experiments, she was often found with a look of sheer terror, or dismay. Now, it seemed as if she didn't even hear that Cressida had said that the Padre would come as well. As if the fact that he was judging their value didn't even affect her. In all reality, it probably didn't. She wasn't exactly made for the purpose of this mission in the first place. When Cressida finished speaking, Cress spoke up, leaving Villa to contemplate her curiosity as to when the meeting would be over. There had been too many consecutive meetings, and remembering it all was starting to make Villa feel a little woozy.

Looking up, Villa's face was unnaturally blank. She'd never been very good at hiding her emotions, but now, she wanted something.

"If that is all," Villa began quietly, hiding her mouth behind the sleeves of her dress, "I have something I must attend to."

With that, she turned on her heel and exited the drawing room, her platinum hair floating lightly behind her. Somehow, the ethereal strands of white never caught in her bladed wings, which were currently releasing bits of pressurized air with a sharp hissing sound every time they moved. The wings slowly wafted up and down with her every step, and when she reached her destination, the blades stretched out to their full span before folding tightly to her back, all in the blink of an eye. Resting her fingertips on the doorknob, she paused to stare at her fingers, still caked in blood. She hadn't had the sense to wash up, and besides, most of it had already been washed away before it had a chance to dry. Speaking of Wation...

Villa lifted her gaze from her hand and sniffed the air. She smelled less like Wation now, which would be best, if she was to face the Padre. Turning the doorknob defiantly, the seventh apostle stared quietly into a room, who's purpose nobody could mistake. A room that she'd seen very little of, despite how it's purpose related to hers. Treading lightly, Villa scanned the shelves. She knew exactly what the vile she was seeking looked like, but not where it was amongst the seemingly endless shelves. This minor set-back didn't seem to put her off however, as her eyes moved quickly. It was a distinct color. White, a pearly iridescent kind of white, and it seemed to swirl like a gaseous substance in it's container. She caught sight of it on the top shelf, and craning her neck back, Villa reached up her fingers. Not even the freakishly elongated hands could reach the top, and so, reluctantly, Villa used a ring of sand to bring the precious bottle down to herself. As the sand dissipated, the corked vile fell into the cup her sleeves had formed, before she looked around for an empty syringe that hopefully hadn't been used.

Of course, there weren't any simply laying around. And so Villa pulled open the drawers she recognized seeing opened the most. In due time, she found her syringe, and carefully used the syringe to suck out enough of the swirling liquid to fill half of the glass tube. She was so accustomed to the puncturing of needles, that Villa didn't even flinch when she punctured the never disappearing scar on her left arm, where all the liquids that were injected into her for experiments entered her system.

A burning sensation filled her arm and she took a sharp breath and held it, squeezing her eyes shut. She remembered this part now.

---------------------------------

Not paying the slightest bit of attention while Haeon't and Geote stretched over to the couch to deposit their load, who was slowly and groggily coming to, Aertan first took note of the fact that it was obvious the house hadn't been heated in a long time. Second, he noticed the fireplace. Upon invitation to come inside from Faewyn, Aertan looked around. Though he'd caught a glimpse of Alicel's house, he'd really only seen the narrow hallway, and part of the kitchen. It was strange to be in a house that looked so much like a house, rather than a church with rooms that branched off the main hall where services were held. To Aertan, it felt...

Cramped.

Regardless, Aertan kept this rather rude comment to himself, since even he knew it wasn't normal to open the door and suddenly stop for a few seconds. Keeping his silence, Aertan walked over to the fireplace, vaguely aware of how his safety shoes seemed to clunk heavily against the floor. Squatting down, Aertan peered up the chimney, half expecting a huge cloud of soot to just suddenly fall onto his head and dye his hair and face black, like things always went. But nothing fell, and Aertan assumed that they were all probably frozen solid.

Adela was not nearly as silent as everyone else seemed to be, as the minute Faewyn gave her call of okay, she stepped into the room and was halfway through pulling off her jacket before she put it back on. So Adela hated jackets, but it was just as cold inside as it was outside.

"It's really dusty in-" Adela began, but Reid summoned a breeze and wiped out the dust that Adela had been planning on commenting on. Blinking she shrugged, deciding to comment on the next time that caught her attention, pretending as if she'd never said anything about the dust, "Wow, it's really cold in here!"

"Faewyn," Aertan's call interupted, now watching Geote poking at the pitiful remains of what was probably once wood, "Do you mind if I light the fireplace?"
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Despite the direness of their situation, Faewyn was wrapped in happy recollections as she strode across the kitchen, opening up another window to create a clear path for the wind to travel and occasionally pulling a drawer open to check its contents, an action usually followed by a nostalgic little sniff. The frigid air didn't bother her; that was something she was used to, after all, and the house itself was well-isolated, just like the rest of the structures in Beta. The fact that, even with such isolation, the temperature was several degrees below Tealian average had not even occurred to her.

It was not until Reid's request to hurry up with the search that she -- somewhat reluctantly -- left memory lane behind her, placing her old favorite mug back on its proper spot, unable to resist a tiny sigh at how unfair this was.

"Oh, right, coming!" the girl called, half-running back into the living room, now quite crowded, "You...I guess you can do that." she replied to Aertan's question about the fireplace, feeling an immediate need to explain the reluctance in her tone, "It's just a silly old memory." she elaborated sheepishly, "Mama...never wanted me to use the fireplace when they were away. She was..." the girl sighed, "...she was afraid I'd burn myself, I guess." the girl couldn't help a slight blush of embarrassment, "Umm...don't mind that, though, go right ahead. If..." she cast a glance at the gathered jackets in the room, all firmly buttoned, "If you're all really that cold."

She shook her head, as if to dislodge the current train of thought, "But we didn't come her to talk about childhood memories, did we? Mama's journals..." Faewyn bit her lip in thought, "She'd keep them well hidden, I'm sure. Ever since...ever since that one time when I found one of her mahstion books and-well..." the girl cast a meaningful glance at the slightly uneven thumb on her right hand, "Anyway, that one was in her study, supporting a table leg, right by the secret compartment behind the bookcase. Mama always said that there was no better way of flagging what you're trying to hide than making a hidden compartment so if you find any the notes inside will be fake. The real notes will be somewhere where you don't look, something you just pass by without a second glance...maybe somewhere like a broom closet or something?"

"Good enough for me." Reece remarked with a shrug, still firmly avoiding eye contact with the girl as he propped himself away from the wall he had been leaning against, striding towards the staircase, "We're not doing any good just navel-gazing here, so I say we split up and search; if anyone finds something or comes up with a new idea, just give a holler." with a curt nod towards the group, the soldier wandered up the stairs, clearly in no mood for interjections.

Faewyn bit down a bit harder on her lip, her eyes staring absently at Aertan's doings by the fireplace. No...that didn't sound like something her mother would do either. Verdance was smarter than that; she wouldn't just make the place unlikely so that someone could find it by accident, not if she knew that she'd most likely not come back. No, she would want to minimize the chances of anyone not knowing precisely what to look for ever getting their hands on the notes. She would make it a one strike and you're out situation, but at the same time she'd want to minimize the chance of someone triggering her trap by accident. That meant that she would leave hints for those she trusted, somehow...without drawing attention to it she would-

The realization suddenly hit Faewyn, her eyes widening on queue. Of course! It was precisely mama's style, it was so...obvious. She would rig a trap that would catch a foreign infiltrator, and what was the first thing someone from Carn or Tealia would do when they were faced with a desolate, unwarmed hovel without functioning light or heating?

There was no time for words, by the time she had finally managed to piece the sentence together Faewyn was already halfway through interposing Aertan's attempt at lighting the fireplace.

"Aertan! Don't!" the girl hastily dropped to her knees in front of the fireplace, her heart beating rapidly as she examined its interior, "Don't light that...it's...I think...no, I know. That's why-mama's instructions, they-"

She picked up one of the logs that had been stapled inside, grasping it firmly with both hands, despite the thick layer of soot on top, and swinging it at the brick fireplace with all her might, the worn wood shattering into tiny splinters, all save for the core.

It went thump.

Brushing aside the remnants of wood from the square-shaped object in her hands, the girl smiled triumphantly, taking a deep breath and blowing away the dirt. As she did so the object was indeed confirmed as a journal with a grayish cover. In fact, the cover of the journal was adorned by precisely the same pattern as the wood it had been buried inside. The pages, it seemed, were covered with a protective film of some kind, which -- a quick sniff revealed -- had a distinctly flammable smell to it. There was no mistaking the flourish of the handwriting within, however; all pretty curves and pressed tightly together over next to every inch of paper not occupied by sketches. Much like with Faewyn's journals, overlinings and footnotes dotted the pages, but these were all neatly stapled and organized.

"They were there so I wouldn't burn these. She covered all the pages in some kind of flammable wax." Faewyn explained, unable to resist a loving smile at the pages as she flipped through them, transfixed "One spark and all of it would have burned up...that's mama's style, alright." she cast a glance at the remaining logs, "There are probably more of them there, we should check those before lighting any fires."

Last edited by Alter Ego; December 11th, 2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

It had been good then, that Aertan had hesitated with lighting the fire. After all, the house had looked well abandoned for awhile, and he'd worried about the chimney being covered in soot or ice. Ice would just put his flame out when it melted, and soot would not be a happy experience. That, and that Faewyn hadn't seemed all too thrilled with the idea of him lighting a fire.

Aertan sat frozen, gazing with wide eyes at the papers in Faewyn's hands. He was still shocked by how sudden her halting call was. When Faewyn explained the situation, Aertan let out the breath he'd been holding, as if his very breath would set the pages on fire. (He wouldn't be surprised if they did.) It was good that he hadn't started the fire then, even though everyone other than Faewyn seemed freezing. Otherwise everything would've been just a waste of time. Standing up, Aertan peeled off his own jacket, which was incredibly warm. He, personally, wasn't cold at all, as warm mahstion particles seemed to stick to him. It was like having his own personal fireplace at all times. Throwing the black coat at Reid who looked colder than anyone else, Aertan turned back to look at the fireplace.

"I never would've thought of that." Aertan mumbled, not daring to poke his head back into the fireplace. He wasn't going to take his chances this time, and instead he opted to watch Faewyn flick through the notebook she'd pulled out. He nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard the click of the open window closing however, and craning his neck around, he sighed in relief when he saw Alicel at the window, looking groggy and sleep-deprieved, even though she'd gotten more sleep then anyone in the house. She floated back to the couch and sat down, still looking like she half-asleep. Not commenting on her, Aertan turned his gaze back to the fancy handwriting. His own handwriting was an ugly scrawl, narrow and tightly pressed together.

"Where are we?" Alicel inquired at the same time Aertan began to speak.

"How long is it going to take you to find what we're looking for?" Aertan asked, letting his eyes try and read the text upside down from a safe distance.
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

"Alicel, you're finally up!" Faewyn called cheerfully, beaming at her drowsy friend as another weight slipped off her shoulders, "It's...it's a relief. Anyway, this..." she made a sweeping gesture to encompass the room they were in and the ones adjoined to it, a slight flicker of pride in her voice, "...is my home. Though...I guess it would look more homey if the furniture wasn't all covered up."

"As for your question...I'm not sure..." Faewyn replied to Aertan, studying the notes -- detailing a Wionus-based levitation technique and, specifically, why it was a failure as far as practical use was concerned -- "It would help if I knew precisely what I was looking for. Now you said that you'd never heard about apostles until we ran into Cress, right?" she asked for confirmation, "Well, there was absolutely nothing on them in the Tealian database either. I checked that before we left. In fact, there's not a single piece of writing on them anywhere, and Carn really wants to win this war, right? If they had these apostles all along they would already have used them, I'm sure." she paused, rubbing her temples, "What I'm trying to say is...I can't just look up 'apostle' because no apostles existed when this was written. "

"I-I have a hunch, though..." Faewyn added, as if to reassure everyone that this wasn't half the wild goose chase that it was starting to look like, "You remember that mama and papa were investigating Carn when they...disappeared, right? They told me that they were going to investigate their culture, but..." she bit her lip, "Mama was the strongest Wionus user I've ever met, and papa used to work for the Tealian special forces before he got married. I just...I just can't picture both of them being needed for something like that. I think-no, I know that if mama would have heard about this she would have wanted to investigate." the girl chuckled slightly, "And when mama decided that something would get done, it always got done. She just was like that." the girl's expression turned serious, "If this really is it, then she would mention it somewhere in here...and it would explain why she would want it burned too. That sort of thing...she probably didn't want to risk Tealia trying it too." the girl paused, recalling Reid's patriotism and hastily adding, "It's nothing personal, I'm sure; mama just didn't like governments much. She said it comes with the job. Anyway, that's why I think that somewhere in here-"

The girl paused in mid-speech, her eyes falling on a singe line of text within the journal and her lips mouthing the words without her even noticing.

"Mahstion grafting?"

The girl's full attention was now turned to the words, her eyes traveling across the page at a rapid rate.

"29.7.193

A's research confirmed genetic route unfeasible. Unusually powerful internal mahstion presence at development stages results in high ratio of fetus deformation/miscarriage. Infant may also suffer neurological damage (Thaum syndrome)=> Thaumogen halts internal mahstion generation. Inhibition of thaumogen receptors results in mental disorder/death. (Exclusive choice of mahstion type genetic self-protection mechanism?) But A brought up an interesting point: body mahstion tolerance grows from exposure to internal mahstion presence. A person of age 8 or above may be suitable subject for grafted organ. A is pursuing the theory. (Respectfully declined use of F as a research subject) Report promised on a later date. K expressed concern over the project and I can see what he means: human beings are not naturally adapted to wielding multiple types of mahstion. There will most likely be complications beyond those normally associated with grafting. Still, this theory is too intriguing to simply ignore."

Faewyn felt a slight chill that had nothing to do with the temperature creep up her spine. There was just something...unsettling about seeing her beloved mother speculate over the deaths of small children in such a callous manner. She didn't know what the 'F' referred to, but the fact that she had been ten years old back then didn't exactly make her feel at ease. Still, Faewyn pushed on...this was just the way her mother wrote things: short and straight to the point. The decision to respectfully decline had, she told herself, certainly been made out of love.

The girl refused to believe anything else.

Skipping past a couple of morbidly interesting but currently not that relevant pages detailing the process of grafting the limb of one human being onto another while keeping both alive -- complete with sketches a bit too detailed for comfort -- Faewyn finally found the entry she had been looking for:

"21.9.197

A few quick lines before K comes around to give the inevitable lecture.

The graft project has proven far more volatile than expected. Out of 20 subjects, 5 have survived thus far, and this is using the term loosely. Aside from usual graft rejections, the subjects have exhibited most peculiar and gruesome symptoms. Though A insists that these are freak incidents, I can not erase the image of a subject's arm seeking to burn itself to cinders from my mind, nor that of the blind girl who insisted on being treated, now comatose with fingernails growing at nearly thrice the normal rate and cerebral activity all but ended. Thaum syndrome is rampant, and I have my doubts about the survival of even these last subjects. Tried in vain to persuade A out of continuing the project. He remains strangely enthusiastic and mentioned that a foreign colleague has shown interest in his work. I can only imagine who...or why.

Note to self: take the matter up with L later on, this bears closer investigation.

I have no doubt that this journal will make for an awkward legacy, but should I fail to return it is imperative that this information be passed to those it concerns and no-one else. Alexander Thaum has left the country and somehow eluded the covert ops, his latest research notes -- needless to say -- have disappeared with him. Officially, this case does not exist and thus it is best not to inform official sources about anything contained within this journal. Though evidence is lacking at best, what little I have managed to coax out of L seems to indicate that he is headed for Carn out of all places. Needless to say, covert ops are fidgety at best, as relations with the country are already strained due to our information suppression agreement with Tealia. L is going to investigate, and I simply can't allow him to leave on such a dangerous task alone. I have left F in the care of K; he may not approve of my decision, but he knows as well as I that burdening her with an issue of this magnitude would neither be fair nor reasonable. The fewer know of this the better.

Given that you are reading this, I must assume that the worst has happened. I have not returned from Carn and am in all likelihood dead or in the process of being interrogated, but more crucially -- know that this means that the graft project is still in operation. You have also refrained from lighting this on fire, so I must assume that you have either gained my brother's trust or are exceptionally perceptive. In either case, you have passed the test. Do not, I repeat: do not attempt to track me down. I am most likely deceased and it is far more important that these inhuman experiments are terminated once and for all. I do not know why a country so hostile towards science as Carn would foster the development of such maverick technology, but I have no doubt that their cause is far from noble. Imagine for yourself: if a partial graft on a subject of frail health can create a monster, what will the full fusion of two healthy human beings form? Carn imprisons a good million people a year for crimes against Thylonstus, should Thaum or whoever seduced him be in a high enough position, materials would be the least of their worries.

Enclosed with this journal, I have left a compendium of offensive mahstion techniques as well as what little information I've secured on the graft subjects; I can only hope that they will be of some assistance in terminating this menace.

Also, as a final request, my last will: please make sure that my daughter, Faewyn, will not get involved in this in any manner. This is all I ask in return for the information I've enclosed here. I may have failed in my original task, I may have failed in my aspirations to become a good mother, but she should not have to suffer for my mistakes. The third journal enclosed within this pile is addressed solely to her and has no bearing on anyone else. Please deliver it to her as soon as possible. She is a bright young woman and will, I'm sure, see reason once she has read its contents.

Sincerely,

Verdance Ayre"

Faewyn was speechless, her eyes nailed to the last lines as tears began welling up from them -- irrefutable scientific evidence that her parents had loved her, but at the same time, it was basically proof that despite her best efforts...

"Mama..." she grit out, her grip around the journal tightening, "She's...she's really..."

The girl's shoulders sagged, her body quaking violently in-between the sobs as they fought their way up. She had found her explanation alright, but next to this revelation it just seemed so...trivial...

It was just too much. She needed time to digest this, she needed...gosh darn it, she needed a hug, and right now the girl really didn't give a damn about the consequences, her arms firmly catching the closest victim in her vicinity: Aertan. Normally, she would have been very careful about touching him, but there were just times in life when you needed a shoulder to cry against, even if it wasn't a volunteered shoulder.

"She's gone!" the girl bawled at the top of her lungs, her face buried in ex-priest's shirt as her happy little world was basically shattering to tiny pieces around her, "She's-she's really gone, isn't she?" sure, probability had dictated that her parents would be dead, but seeing it stated so matter-of-factly in her mother's own, curly handwriting just brought the prospect to a whole new level of reality. Mama was always right, that was a belief she had clung to for years, but now it was wrestling with her equally fundamental belief that everything would turn out alright in the end if she just tried hard enough.

A single creak emerged from the staircase, the unmistakable sound that someone had taken a step there, but the person had already disappeared upstairs without another word.

Last edited by Alter Ego; December 12th, 2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

"Fae..." Alicel murmured, torn to see her friend crying. She made an effort to stand, but her knees locked, and sent her back onto the couch with a splitting headache. Listening to Faewyn's cries, it was all Alicel could do not to cry with her. Sniffling, Alicel swallowed the lump in her throat. She didn't want to add to Faewyn's pain, and this was a moment where Faewyn should've been allowed to cry shamelessly, without thought of how people around her might feel. Faewyn was always too kind a person.

A silence overcame Aertan when Faewyn threw her arms about him. Embraces were rare for Aertan, but though he normally made no effort to return them, in this moment his arms moved on their own. He put his hand lightly on the back of her head, and let his other arm rest on her back. The ex-priest was very aware of keeping the abrupt cut-off of his arm from touching her, as he listened to her words patiently. However, answering her question was something that Aertan could not bring himself to do. He personally felt that after so many years, there was little chance that the latter was the case. Carn had probably interrogated Faewyn's mother all they wanted by now, and long threw her away. Though Aertan wanted to tell Faewyn that this case was important, and that Carn would undoubtedly need all the answers from her mother they could get, he didn't know what to think anymore. The Carn in the journal was not the Carn that Aertan had lived in. And knowing Carn, any kind of Carn, they were not the type to keep people for long. He thought of Rosaline, who was kept captive for 16 years. But she was a special case. He took a moment to clear his thoughts, think only of what was at hand, and to put into words a response that might put Faewyn at ease.

"I'm sorry." Aertan mumbled quietly. The two words he'd managed to utter were far from what he'd imagined. He had little time to comprehend though, as he lifted his gaze to where the staircase was. There was only one person on the second floor. And that person, Aertan thought with a displeased look, should've been the one here, with whole arms. He knew that if it was anyone else, they would've been able to say something to Faewyn that would keep her tears at bay. But Aertan knew that giving her a hope that could only be shattered by the real truth was the worst thing he could do. If he told her that her mother was surely still alive, lied about his experiences with that accursed King's tendencies, what would happen if she discovered the real proof that Verdance was dead? She would surely, surely hate him. When this thought passed through his mind, Aertan glared down at the journal before he thought of something that wasn't pure speculation. Something that wasn't just his mind moving in circles.

Adela opened her mouth to say something, though closed it immediately without letting a sound escape. She was now standing where Alicel had stood to close the window, having moved there despite complaining of the cold. Her expression could not match the concerned look on Aertan's face. Her expression could not match the pained look on Alicel's face. No, upon her visage was a plain look that gave no sympathy or pity. Her blank stare seemed not to register anything.

"Faewyn," Came the girl's somewhat higher pitched and inquiring voice that seemed freakishly calm, "Are you leaving?"
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

"I'm going out for a while, you guys should try to get some rest." It was very much like Reid to run away when a subject came up in which he couldn't deal with. Even in a case like this, where there was much to be discussed and a friend to comfort, he couldn't stand to stick around. He'd lost loved ones before, and at the same time he had his butterfly wings physically torn from his back. He knew all too well how Faewyn most likely felt, but because he knew all too well, it was more of a reason for him to want to avoid it. So, hands in his pockets to protect them from the bitter cold, Reid made a quiet exit out of the house.

The afternoon turned to evening, and that evening quickly turned to night, and Reid had yet to return. The reality of his absence was that he had decided to lounge around a local coffee shop. It was small, yet warm and cozy, the strong scent of coffee beans wafted throughout the entire building. While positioned at a window booth, he could do nothing but watch the streetlights catch the vision of gentle snowflakes falling. The waitress came by once and a while to check on him, and Reid was captivated by curiosity every time she came by. She was about his age, maybe a year or two younger, and her body was thin as if she rarely ate, frail, and just beginning to define itself. Her hair, a shimmering silver colour, was styled in ringlets that fell halfway down her back and were tied by royal blue lace. Her eyes were where her appearance became extra bizarre. While one was a dull orange colour, the other lacked any colour at all, with just a white eye with a white iris. Her outfit, while most of the other waitresses possessed spiffy new uniforms that looked as if they were out of a Victorian storybook, was nothing but a few brown rags and a name tag. Her name was Ellianne, or si the name tag read. The most intriguing thing about this girl was that she never spoke a word, but presented herself in such a manner that the customer knew what she was talking about.

"You noticed it too, huh?" Mistral asked Reid from within.

Reid replied quickly and to the point. "Yeah. She's probably terribly poor. On top of that, it seems she's probably mute and blind in one eye, not to mention terribly underfed." It only took a simply inquiry to the store manager to confirm his suspicion. "Ellianne DuCharme, age 14. She lost her voice a year ago as the result of entering a stage of shock, apparently after her parents were murdered. Her right eye went blind after having her head held up to an open flame for two hours by one of the town's hoodlums after he assumed she was choosing not to reply to his demands, while in reality she was mute. She also has to make a journey to Gregar, but she lacks an escort. Seriously, we get so caught up in our own ordeals that we tend to forget the people suffering right in front of our eyes..."

OOC: I'd write more, but I'm tired. I hope the timeskip didn't screw anyone up! Just, get on with business as usually, though I don't want anyone bothering Reid.

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

For a few more moments, Faewyn just kept crying. There was really nothing anyone could have said or done to change that. The moment she had seen those words, the one hope she had clung to for years had been snuffed, just like that. There was no way to describe the horrible emptiness it had left behind, of having wasted three years of one's life in a happy little lie, of having to face up to the fact that no matter how much she wished for things to be otherwise, she was now alone in the world.

All alone.

It was not until maintaining the constant tearflow became physical impossible to maintain that Faewyn began noticing the world around her once more. The first thing she noticed was that the shirt she had been crying against was now considerably wet. But beyond the dampness, she felt warmth...the warmth of a hug returned, and a quick glance upwards revealed a concerned expression on Aertan's face. It was obvious that he wasn't used to this kind of situation, but it was equally obvious that he was trying to comfort her all the same and the gesture alone was already touching. Alicel seemed worried too, as far as she could make out the expression on the figure lying on the couch, and it was then that a realization occurred to her.

She wasn't.

She wasn't alone at all.

Faewyn abruptly tightened her grip, bursting into tears again, but they were of a completely different kind this time. This wasn't her loss she was crying over. No, this was crying over what she had. That was right, even if her parents were gone, even if her quest had left a hole in its wake, there were others; she still had people to care about, people who cared about her, she still had a job to do.

She still had purpose.

Wiping aside the last of the tears, Faewyn finally -- if rather reluctantly -- relinquished the ex-priest from her grip, managing a small smile even as the occasional sob still fought its way through. Oh, she probably looked a mess after all that crying, but at least she was a stable mess now. Stable enough to respond to Adela's question anyway.

"No way." she replied, shaking her head firmly, "I-I know mama would be against this, but there's no way I'm backing out now. I'm already involved, and I want to see this through. No, I need to see this through. I've got people to find and a prophecy to fulfill and..." she couldn't help her smile widening a little, beaming at Aertan and Alicel from behind her tear-riddled face, "...well, I really can't picture any people I'd rather be with right now. I know we haven't known each other for that long, but you guys are really the best friends I have. Just...thank you. Thank you for everything."

Her little speech thus finished, the girl took a deep breath, feeling considerably more at ease than before. The sadness was still there at the back of her mind, and no doubt it would be back later, but right now...well, right now she was just happy that there was still light at the end of the tunnel.

With her immediate worries silenced, Faewyn finally became aware of something else. Namely, the fact that she was tired...this entire day had been stressing, both mentally and physically, but until this point she had been too wrapped up in things to notice. Now the fatigue was there with a vengeance, though, and the girl stifled a small yawn. It was then that a final revelation struck her, the girl tilting her head in curiosity as her glance traveled from the occupants of the room to the darkening scenery outside.

"Umm...where are Reid and Reece? Shouldn't they have been back by now?"

OOC: Subplot...go! For the purpose of not completely blowing a fuse with this post, just assume that Reece has mysteriously disappeared from the house. It will all be explained in my next IC, just as long as we don't get any more time jumps between now and then. :3

Last edited by Alter Ego; December 14th, 2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Aertan smiled when Faewyn stated that she would be continuing on with working on unravelling this project that her mother had spoken of. Of course, it wasn't all that great that she was denying her mother's final wish, but Aertan didn't really care at this point. It wasn't really his place to judge either way. But without Faewyn's arms around him and her tears staining his shirt, Aertan finally realized how awkward the whole scene was. Standing up, this gesture helped Aertan regain some feeling of normalcy, and the first thing he noticed when he stood up was the patch of soaked fabric on his shirt that seemed to triple the cold on that single area of skin. He stared down at the journals and took a step back as a precaution, looking around himself before stretching his shirt out and lighting a fire in his hand, holding the flames up to the fabric to help dry it out.

"Reid just l-left," Alicel said, sniffling and trying to compose herself, now even more teary eyed from Faewyn addressing her as a friend. It wasn't as if she hadn't before, but this time it just seemed so much more important to Alicel, "He said we should get some rest."

"And Reece, as far as I know," Aertan said, extinguishing the flames and holding out a hand to help Faewyn to her feet, "is still upstairs. I don't know what he's doing though."

Though the dark splotch on Aertan's white shirt was still visible, it was already dry enough that the warm Fionus clinging to his skin would suck all the moisture out of it in a flash. In the meantime, Aertan was thinking of the last time he got a good night's sleep. He could hardly believe that it had really only been a few hours before. It felt like it had been weeks since they'd departed on the airship, and the small headache that throbbed at the very back of his head wasn't helping his energy much. Though since he was long used to more splitting headaches from when Haeon't and Geote used to protest about being kept in their wings, his face was composed.

"Well, if we're leaving tomorrow morning," Adela stated straight-forwardly, "then we should take Reid's advice and get some sleep. And food. Since we don't know when the next apostle attack is going to be, it's best if we recollect ourselves during this time we've got." She said, turning around and looking at Faewyn, trying not to be too expectant as a guest.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links