Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old July 12th, 2004 (06:56 PM).
Rose Flame

I went to Denver near the end of April for a David Bowie concert. It's a beautiful town. Have you ever been to the tattered cover book store? It's huge! And I could have sworn I saw Bowie browsing in the NY Times Bestseller's the day of the concert, but that may have only been wishful thinking .

So Fruits Basket is unrated?Hmmm... don't know what to make of that. I suppose that I could ask our principal to take a look at it. Who knows, he may take a liking to it and approve it for screening.
Old July 12th, 2004 (07:01 PM).
~Ozy~
PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
Tattered Cover is one of my favorite places in the world. One of the few independent bookstores with both selection AND personality.

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Old July 13th, 2004 (09:30 AM).
Rose Flame

I walked over there after going to, I believe it was, Tower Records. It did have quite a nice selection, but it was hard to browse through the books since the store was so crowded. Is it always really crowded? It was espescially cogested on the bottom floor where I thought I spotted Bowie; of course, that could have been the reason now that I think about it...Anyway, I could use some help thinking of ways to earn some money for the club, if anyone has any ideas.
Old July 13th, 2004 (09:48 AM).
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Rose Flame:
I went to Denver near the end of April for a David Bowie concert. It's a beautiful town. Have you ever been to the tattered cover book store? It's huge! And I could have sworn I saw Bowie browsing in the NY Times Bestseller's the day of the concert, but that may have only been wishful thinking .

So Fruits Basket is unrated?Hmmm... don't know what to make of that. I suppose that I could ask our principal to take a look at it. Who knows, he may take a liking to it and approve it for screening.

It's got nothing bad in it just a little cussing which i would rate pg-13. it's allso one of the best dubs for a anime ever.
Old July 13th, 2004 (10:13 AM).
Rose Flame

I'll take a look at it and see if it's appropriate since everyone seems to like it so much.
Old July 13th, 2004 (10:17 AM).
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

It depends on what school you go to...if it's a high school there should be no problem at all with showing it...if it's a middle school maybe only the older kids could watch it...I still say you should show Grave of the FIreflys.
Old July 13th, 2004 (10:29 AM).
Rose Flame

We all go to a high school, so maybe we could show it. I've seen Grave of the Fireflies; there should be no problem with that one. Are these pictures from the fruits baskets you're all speaking of? I just want to make sure that I'm getting the right series.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp fruitsbasket1.bmp‎ (72.2 KB, 0 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: bmp fruitsbasket2.bmp‎ (60.1 KB, 0 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old July 13th, 2004 (10:59 AM).
~Ozy~

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
TC isn't always crowded, just on most weekends.

Anyway, yeah, show GotF, I love it. I'd recommend Battle Royale if it wasn't horribly violent and containd large amounts of obscenities. It's excellent. Anyway, FB has small amounts of cussing, mainly from Kyo. But nothing horrible. There's a slight amount of homoeroticism, at least in the manga. A crossdresing scene as well, so if that might offend anyone...Anyway, I don't see any pics.

As for fundraising, craft stuff can be good. Make some paper cranes,they usually sell well. I can get instructions to make these really nice paper-covered eggs. I love them, and judging from the money my club raised, the general populace does as well. Otherwise I caan't think of much except a yearly due. I'd suggest tying it to food access, onigiri in particular.

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Old July 13th, 2004 (05:30 PM).
Rose Flame

I was thinking of doing a bakesale, but those never seem to work out as planned. In fact, in the past, I've ended up doing most of the baking, which is no fun.>_<

I don't know if paper cranes would go over all that great since we have a few crafts classes; I mean, if they wanted paper cranes, they could just get some from their friends for free or take the class themselves. But maybe if we added something, like putting candy in the bottum, or having a contest of some sort (i.e person with the winning number on the bottum wins a prize). The paper covered eggs do sound interesting too.
Old July 13th, 2004 (07:26 PM).
~Ozy~

Onigiri are rice balls, and quite delicios when properly made. Particularly with a seaweed topping and salmon center...*drools*

Old July 13th, 2004 (07:29 PM).
Rose Flame

Ooo.. rice balls? I like that idea! Do you happen to have a recipe? I've no idea how to make them.
Old July 13th, 2004 (07:35 PM).
~Ozy~

I'll try to get my friend's, he has a magic touch. Anyway, I think the main trick is molding them correctly. Actually, I seem to have found a recipie on my comppy.

Quote:
Ingredients:

cooked rice (use short-grain rice)
filling - salty, pickled plum, grilled salmon, tuna fish mixed with mayonnaise sauce *Whatever you like, you can choose as filling
salt
dry seaweed sheet (Nori)

Method of preparing onigiri:

Cook rice according to the recipe of the back of the rice bag.

Prepare some water in a bowl. Wet your hands in the water and sprinkle a little of salt on the palms.

While the rice is warm, place a handful of rice on the palms.

Place your favourite filling in the centre of rice and form rice in a triangular shape by tossing the rice in the hands. Make sure the filling comes inside of the rice ball.

Cut dry seaweed sheet in strip. Wrap around the rice balls with the dry seaweed sheet strip.

Tips for preparing them in different ways

To make a triangular shape, hold one hand with the palm side up and hold the other hand in a mountain shape over the palm of the other hand.

You can also wrap the rice balls with dry seaweed sheet just before eating them, so that the seaweed sheet is nice and crispy!
Anyway, the seaweed sheet isn't required, I'd actually recommend sprinkling a bit of sesame seed on top. They're best served warm, by the way.

Old July 13th, 2004 (07:44 PM).
Rose Flame

Thanks. I'll definitely have to try out that recipe. But I do have a question; Aren't rice balls sometimes served as a desert?
Old July 13th, 2004 (07:48 PM).
~Ozy~

I don't know, I haven't heard that.

Old July 14th, 2004 (08:12 AM).
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Rose Flame:
Thanks. I'll definitely have to try out that recipe. But I do have a question; Aren't rice balls sometimes served as a desert?
Yea, becuse they can be filled with choclet or other types of fillings.
Old July 14th, 2004 (11:06 AM).
Rose Flame

Chocolate in rice balls? Hmm.. doesn't sound very appetizing. Is it good, though?
Old July 14th, 2004 (11:11 AM).
~Ozy~

From what I know, the Japanese have put choclate on just about everything, regardless of whether it'll taste good.

Old July 16th, 2004 (01:49 PM).
Rose Flame

Just thought of this, and I realized I hadn't metioned it before. This seems sort of off topic, but it's important that you guys know; I am NOT the final authority on whether your work gets published or not. This is how it works;
(1)work is sent to appropriate editor
(2)editor sends approved works to me for editting (spelling mistakes, misuse of words, etc)
(3)editted works go to our sponsor for approval and any further polishing
(4)Final draft of magazine and website materials goes through principal for final approval.
Alright, got that taken care of.
Well, I decided to delete my last message since it seemed kind of pointless after firefly deleted her mistakes. But I kept the above instructions because I thought they were important.

Okay, I thought I'd ask a new question. Does anyone have any specific ideas for the layout of the magazine and website?
Old July 18th, 2004 (11:15 AM).
Firefly
Person who likes Anime

Well guys rose said this thread is getting kind of cold so i thought i should post i will be nice this time. I am kind of at a loss of what to talk about because rose covered almost everything so lets talk about cows because i saw this weird video game for the game cube and i think you get to take care of a cow but i forgot what it was called.
Old July 18th, 2004 (01:20 PM).
~Ozy~

I assume you speak of Harvest Moon: A wonderful Life. Excellet game, and a nice break from sword-swinging, gun-toting action. It's a lot like a more in-depth version of Animal Crossing.

Old July 18th, 2004 (02:35 PM).
Rose Flame

I've heard of Harvest moon, but I never played it. I have, however, played Animal Crossing. It wasn't great, but it was ok. Out of curiosity, are these Japanese games?
Old July 18th, 2004 (08:09 PM).
~Ozy~

Japanese-made, yes. But you don't have to import 'em or anything.

Old July 18th, 2004 (08:14 PM).
Rose Flame

Well, if that's the case, we can add them to the list of video games to cover in our website/magazine, that is, if you want to. It's kind of your decision since that's your section.
Old July 18th, 2004 (08:16 PM).
~Ozy~

Yeah, problem is, there isn't really a whole lot you can do with games like that. Not much action or plot. They're fun to play, but hard to write stories about. But if nyone wants to send one in, they can. I really don't care what game it's based on.

Old July 19th, 2004 (08:56 AM).
Rose Flame

Actually, there's also a rating restiction on what video games we can cover, but it's not nearly as tight as the anime/manga restriction. We just can't cover "M" rated games, because those can get pretty raunchy (have you heard of "Gothic", I believe it was?). But those two games probably fall within the rating. Like I said before, we may be able to cover some 16+ rating at best, but most definitely nothing higher than that. And even if we're allowed to cover 16+ material, we probably won't be able to screen it.

Also, I'm trying to draw up the design of the magazine, with a bit of trouble. Do you have any ideas how it should be designed? The only thing we've decided for sure is that the sections will be color coded.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links