The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Pokémon rijonAdventures
Hiroshi Sotomura (Developer lead) and Coolboyman (Director)
Release date to be determined

Official website

It's the start of a new adventure! Time to start a completely new journey… in the region of Rijon!

General info What rijonAdventures is, and its developer history

rijonAdventures is a FireRed version hack.

rijonAdventures is set in the region of Rijon, which was first created in Pokémon Brown. It sits 20 years chronologically from the time of Brown. It also is related to Pokémon Prism, as it takes place 15 years before rijonAdventures.

The old thread exists here for archival purposes. Another old thread also exists.

Basically, I took up rijonAdventures around three years ago when Coolboyman was working off the Japanese version. Coolboyman wanted to retire, and since I was interested deeply in the project (and was a beta tester for the original Pokémon Brown) I volunteered to take the hack and work on it. Because of some complications regarding computer ownership, I found little time to hack until I got my laptop. It was only a year ago that I received my laptop, which meant I could dedicate most of my time to it. Hence, before I had my laptop, I spent more time doing stuff like Hack of the Month.

Download Take rijonAdventures for a spin!

Download beta (2008) now

November 2006 alpha release notes
The game goes up to Jaeru City (and I must note that I've done WAY MORE than this), but there's new stuff to check out (and they will be almost the same as the final version, hence the title "beta"). I recommend that, so people can enjoy this new beta a lot, that you DON'T transfer your save files over if you've played a previous alpha. This means that the third gym is now accessible and you can get the bike, too.

If you want to give this a shot, check for bugs and glaring errors.

Also, the Bicycle path is open, but expect to be hurt badly there. Also, I've drastically modified the map of the sixth gym differently in comparison to the versions I'm giving out to beta testers, but if you've played the alphas, the change won't appear as significant. The sixth gym's map will not have the layout presented in this manner in the final version.

The bike path and the sixth gym… I recommend only going through these areas if your Pokémon levels are high enough!

Additionally, there is no Flash HM.
  • The rijonAdventures 2008 beta release does not show the final version - rather, it contains a small portion of the adventure in the game. New screenshots may not exist in the beta verson, and the final release may look slightly or significantly different.
  • The rijonAdventures 2008 beta release requires a Pokémon FireRed (US) ROM. It is not compatible with the Japanese, European English, German, French, Spanish or Italian versions. The alpha release (only) does not support the Game Boy Advance checksum and will not load if this checksum is parsed by the Game Boy Advance BIOS.
  • The beta ends at Jaeru City and allows access to the sixth gym in Seashore City, and the bicycle path.
  • The error code diagnostic features exist in this release.
  • The Bicycle and the HMs Fly, Surf, Strength, Flash, Rock Smash and Waterfall are not available in the 2008 beta release.
  • The fifth, seventh and eighth gyms are not available for access. The Elite Four is additionally unavailable.
  • The only accessible towns and cities are Seashore, Gravel, Merson, Hayward, Owsauri, Moraga and Jaeru.
  • Walk through walls is supported, but no new areas are made accessible through the use of this code.
  • Save files (.sav) created by the alpha will be compatible with the final release.

The quest 20 years in the making

From the pages of the protagonist's journal - final entry:
July 25

Dear Journal,
It's finally the day I tour the region of Rijon. I've been looking forward to this day for many years.

It's been twenty years since my dad fought in a battle with who was once his toughest adversary for Rijon's champion title. The two are now the best of friends.

And from today, I'll be the one embarking on a big journey for which I'm sure to enjoy. As I walk through it, I hope to meet lots of new friends. Those friends may help me reach my sole aspiration - becoming the Pokémon League Champion!

That may mean though, that I will not write in my journal. Without a doubt, though, I'll have lots of things to write about when this journey comes to an end!

So here's to a great adventure!

Screenshot gallery Some of what you'll see in the final release

And so, this new thread is open for comments, speculation, maybe (possibly not) feature requests, bugs you find, etc.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
So I'm curious, why did you start a new thread? Well, it looks great, although I'm not really sure why you have berries up for sale. It does sound like a good idea though.

Okay, that kinda sounded like I was one of those members that goes to threads and just posts because I can, I do have some real questions.
I'm not too caught up on the whole rijon thing, but I have read some of it and played a Beta or Alpha one.

As you said in the first post, your dad is friends with the champion, does that mean that your dad is Red Perhaps? I think in the Beta, I saw Yellow married to him, or someone like that.

I'm just a little curious about those aspects of your story, enlighten me please.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

It's a Berry shop. Because we know FireRed and LeafGreen had a lackluster berry implementation.

New thread because of the many dated posts in the original one(s). ;o

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
Okay, I updated my last post, was hoping you could let me know a couple of more things about the hack.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

You're correct - in the original alphas, they're referenced to as "Red" and "Green", Green of whom was married to Yellow (Pokéshippers scream!). But because of the manga's shippers constantly getting on my back, the idea that the characters were NOT intended to be based off the manga characters, and the fact you could name the hero in Brown... means that I ended up leaving the names of the characters in subtle references - "Red" is not implicitly refered to as such in the game, for instance.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Har D Har
Master Mapper Supreme!

Send a message via Skype™ to Har D Har
Awesomeness! You really needed a new thread, the other was huge. Good to hear from you. So is the thing in the place between Seasshore and Gravel when you go to see the professor at the beginning? Or sometime else?

Laura: Okay...

Eric: Oh, oh, okay.

Ben: Just don't make it between the times of midnight and 6:00 AM because I am sleeping.

[Andrew laughs]

Ben: And if my speakers go off...

Andrew: [Laughs] No you're not.

Ben: Yeah, well, sometimes I am. Occasionally.

Eric: And people of the world, don't call him on Skype, Sundays between like 3:00 and 8:00 PM because that's when he edits the show.

Andrew: When he does, yeah.

Ben: If you call me...okay...you think a dementor is bad? You think Lord Voldemort is bad? [In deep voice] You haven't felt the wrath of Ben Schoen.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

If you're referring to Ethan, he has an event at the start of the game. The route featured is Gravel Canyon.

That's Our Switch.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Har D Har
Master Mapper Supreme!

Send a message via Skype™ to Har D Har
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I have noticed you keep changing the hero's house, and was wondering why and what you are probably sticking with.

Laura: Okay...

Eric: Oh, oh, okay.

Ben: Just don't make it between the times of midnight and 6:00 AM because I am sleeping.

[Andrew laughs]

Ben: And if my speakers go off...

Andrew: [Laughs] No you're not.

Ben: Yeah, well, sometimes I am. Occasionally.

Eric: And people of the world, don't call him on Skype, Sundays between like 3:00 and 8:00 PM because that's when he edits the show.

Andrew: When he does, yeah.

Ben: If you call me...okay...you think a dementor is bad? You think Lord Voldemort is bad? [In deep voice] You haven't felt the wrath of Ben Schoen.
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:37 AM
suchintan
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!

just a random question, are all of the starters gonna be avaliable or just pick one...i mean like yellow where you can get all 3 instead of having to pick bulbasaur, squirtle or charmander...just a question

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Kopa33
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Oo the scripts are very good the hack is cool and very beuty
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Shadowz
Among the Shadowz...

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shadowz Send a message via Yahoo to Shadowz
I luv your hacks :D keep going with this Jake (may i call you that?) i hope you have uck with this

-Amso-

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:36 AM
pizzakoe
Experienced Spriter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pizzakoe
Wow, I really can't wait for the Bèta!!

-Pizzakoe-
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
pkmnmaster69
When will this day end?

awesome hack hiroshi sotomura cant wait for the next beta the bulbasaur DP sprite is a bit low.

Click here to level up my license!
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
zel 2.0
Gold Remaker

Nature: Quiet
Ah, another thread for rijon... And the other was so close to being two years old...

Well, wishing you luck, as always, and waiting till you can manage to show us a newer version since I want to be playing on Rijon again (it's been quite a while since I last played it), hopefully this time the game will probably be longer in gameplay than most other hacks, which will give me a few days of fun!

OK, now onto the asking stuff... I don't remember if you ever mentioned something about it, but, am I crazy, or the starters sprites have been redesigned? ('cause I know Squirtle, and that's definitely not its FR sprite), so, would this be something for just the starters or many other Pokes as well (or am I just crazy and I am imagining things? )

Old October 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Kid nino
Oshowatt/Wotter <3

Nature: Bold
Tottaly awesome hack! Cant wait!

Dimond Code: 0903 5137 8885
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Blitzballer
Sarcasm: now GMO-free.

Nature: Jolly
YAY!new thread =]
i love rijonAdventures...can't wait for the next update!
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Apple Inc.
This Changes Everything. Again

Send a message via AIM to Apple Inc. Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Apple Inc.
Wow, a third thread for my 3rd favorite hack. number 2 being Shiny Gold and number one being Pokemon Shiny Silver

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
johnlycett
Not Booted Out - be like me!

Awsome
Glad to see it's back.
Nice thread presenation!!!
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Sweet!

It has been a while since I heard any updates of this hack!

Best of luck, as always, HS! This is definitely an awesome hack!

Wishing for the best! :D
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
iTeruri
iAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
OK, now onto the asking stuff... I don't remember if you ever mentioned something about it, but, am I crazy, or the starters sprites have been redesigned? ('cause I know Squirtle, and that's definitely not its FR sprite), so, would this be something for just the starters or many other Pokes as well (or am I just crazy and I am imagining things? )
As far as far as I can see, those are their Diamond and Pearl Sprites.

This hacks looks great. I like the berry shop. It was a pain to find the berries in Fr/Lg.
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Lupe
isn't she cute...

um just curious but how did you change the background(orange thing)in the 1st screenshot u know the big oak
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:40 AM
johnlycett
Not Booted Out - be like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer lupe View Post
um just curious but how did you change the background(orange thing)in the 1st screenshot u know the big oak

Easy,Opened up VBA found the colur on palete viewer, fliped offsets searched in hex open APE and keep finding in hex till it's the right one.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

For the note, they're the only Pokémon who will have different sprites, since the original ones weren't to my liking.

Nobody's heard of manually doing palette jobs, have they? *sigh*

That's Our Switch.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:31 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
hey there, I noticed the pallete editing, but kinda forgot to post it previously. EHeheh...

Anyways, are we, this time, gonna play as Gary..? Just a question, though.., since whenever I play a hack, I always choose the female one.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

No. In that particular event, the screen has panned onto him.

That's Our Switch.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here