The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

View Poll Results: What is the worst thing(s) about Pokemon fangames?
No demo availability. 269 27.51%
Slow or too few regular updates 271 27.71%
Misspellings in game. 412 42.13%
Demo is way too buggy. 248 25.36%
Demo isn't very good or impressive. 226 23.11%
All the fangames look the same! 224 22.90%
They never get finished. 561 57.36%
They become discontinued. 400 40.90%
Promises are made but not kept. 351 35.89%
The spam in the project's topic 165 16.87%
No videos 118 12.07%
No screenshots 269 27.51%
Too few videos 68 6.95%
Too many screenshots! 48 4.91%
Using maps rather than screenshots. 156 15.95%
Boring/overused storylines 395 40.39%
Poorly planned projects 373 38.14%
Reused graphics 195 19.94%
No new features 291 29.75%
No original content 358 36.61%
Many updates but not much of progress 234 23.93%
Fake Pokemon 324 33.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 978. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 3rd, 2011 (12:46 PM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

The biggest error for developers/makers is try to do more that they can actually do!
Other thing is lack of commitment. Okay that some developers have contingency, but this aren't reason for even half of topics to be abandoned! You aren't making a game for only you, but for your possible fans, don't disappoint they!
Old June 4th, 2011 (02:20 AM).
stranger
ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
The biggest error for developers/makers is try to do more that they can actually do!
Other thing is lack of commitment. Okay that some developers have contingency, but this aren't reason for even half of topics to be abandoned! You aren't making a game for only you, but for your possible fans, don't disappoint they!
I agree with this, especially about developers who try to do too much which they cannot do. I find it a bit too overwhelming if game developers try to script so many new things into their game, I really feel that it'll end up being saturated in features and the game itself may not be as fun to play, or at least the developer may not think about the playability of the game. They end up adding too many features and the progress of the main part of the game goes nowhere, along with the originality of characters and sprites and things like that. I think some developers may think that one particular skill that they have can make their game popular, be it music, mapping, scripting or their artwork, it seems as if some games are made by developers with skill in one area but everything else does not live up to those skills in hind sight.

I think that lack of consistency in a game bothers me. When I play a demo which has unfinished products in it, I feel a little thrown off. What I mean is, if I expect to play up to the 2nd gym battle, I would hope that almost everything would be as is it is going to be in the final release. But if I see a gym leader with a sprite from another game that has not been finished or some overworlds that still need to be sprited, I wonder why they released the demo instead of getting these small things fixed.

Though sometimes, I think the biggest problem with fan games is the developers. Developers can, at times, feel a little self centered and absorbed in their own ways that they sometimes don't take necessary criticism on their game or have the foresight to see that they cannot make a game alone yet wont get very good help without some talent themselves. The progress of a project really depends on the dedication and the method of the project leader(s). No one should be more dedicated to the game than the person/people who are making it primarily. However, a very good project leader can produce great class in their fan game. But a very good project leader is someone with a lot of skills in the area of game development, and it can be frustrating when you like a project, but you know the leader isn't as dedicated to it as you would hope.

surrounded by sweet easing pressure
no room for thoughts, but time for adventure
Old July 30th, 2011 (06:39 PM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

The worst thing for me is to redo the very cliché 8 GYM type based and E4 for game again, again, again and again! I think that nintendo should only do this at RBY (because GSC have 16 GYM). People are too occupied on mimic every aspect of nintendo games (even the errors) that go beyond. Makers with this thinking hardly can surpass the nintendo dogmas and make good and innovative games.
If you go to use this cliché at least put some diference like 4/6/10 GYMs or even 16 like Johto, GYM based on other things like weather, region or even real animals like one GYM Leader using primate pokémon like Mankey, Aipom and Monferno.
C'mon everybody, you can think on more creative game styles!
Old July 31st, 2011 (01:02 PM).
udivision

In some ways, the closer your game gets to playing like an official Nintendo game, the more likely someone will ask "Why am I playing this when I could be playing a real Pokemon game?"

To avoid this, you have to change things up. To be honest, incorporating 8 Gyms with no new spin should be heavily frowned upon.
Old July 31st, 2011 (01:43 PM).
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by udivision View Post
In some ways, the closer your game gets to playing like an official Nintendo game, the more likely someone will ask "Why am I playing this when I could be playing a real Pokemon game?"

To avoid this, you have to change things up. To be honest, incorporating 8 Gyms with no new spin should be heavily frowned upon.
Frankly, my opinion is that a "new spin" on things would include NOT making every smegging Gym part of the plot, and NOT having every Gym Leader and Champion getting all chummy with the player. That kind of thing is far too contrived, but sadly it's where the official games are up to nowadays.

Be different. Don't make the player the centre of the Universe.
Old July 31st, 2011 (07:15 PM).
udivision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Frankly, my opinion is that a "new spin" on things would include NOT making every smegging Gym part of the plot, and NOT having every Gym Leader and Champion getting all chummy with the player. That kind of thing is far too contrived, but sadly it's where the official games are up to nowadays.

I don't think the gym system has to go away completely, but I think giving it the same attention that the mainline series gives it would be a misstep. But it is a way of doing progression in terms of field abilities.

I agree though, the player doesn't need to save the world. If I made a pkmn game, it'd be like a mini-tv series revolving around a group of quirky trainers travelling the world and running into random situations and plots. The Gym challenge would be the reason for their travels, but like a tv show, there'd be a lot more going on between those.
Old July 31st, 2011 (09:34 PM).
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Nature: Calm
I agree with the above(s).

Theres so much more interesting stuff that could be done instead of the gym system. Im regretting putting it in my game :/.
Old September 25th, 2011 (06:51 AM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post

Maruno didn't like predestination XD, but I agree and this is one of reasons that I didn't like the anime.
But the point is that the big list of unique legendary pokémon (53), is almost impossible to player met/caught at least half.
Old May 7th, 2012 (01:06 AM). Edited May 7th, 2012 by Erosu mou.
Erosu mou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie_boy View Post
I totally aunderstannd how you feel but I mean, Pokemon games have copied the same storylines as well, I mean if you look at the storyline in D/P, - it's exactly the same as R/B/G/Y, it's nintendo you should be telling about it.

With the storylines though, to me they work well - It's a sturdy and very consistent story no matter which game you play and the fan games (In my opinion) should reflect Nintendo's work and maybe even make it better but I don't think it bad for games to be original like save whoever from darkness realm or whatever.

About the Player speaking, it's true as well - when you give someone a voice it gives them a linear attitude along the whole game. That's why I especially like games that allow the player to have choices and whatever choices you make lets the NPC's interact in different ways to the main character.

So guys who ar making games (sorry about the typos), it's YOUR game, YOU are the fan so you do what you want with it, just as long as you finish the game...
Well I don't think a Pokemon fanmade game can ever be complete because if your game is successful then you will have years of players playing your game.Over time the game would get boring if you don't add stuff, for an example:"I beat the last gym, achieved all rare Pokemon, and got all the rare items.Now that there is nothing left but just PvP battles I will play other games.".A metaphor?: You slowly climb down a small 100Ft hole to find treasure, you can't bring the treasure back so you climb out of the whole with nothing and find other treasure.Maybe this is the reason why Nintendo has never made a Pokemon MMO game yet because less console game profits and people would get bored of Pokemon over the years of playing it.I think us Fangame makers could find 1000 ways to keep the players happy and satisfied for years.We just need to study life more since Pokemon is based off of life(Real life legends like Mawile, manectric, raikou ect.Bulbapedia and their infos check out them.)

Thank you people for your opinions.I have learned a lot reading all of your thoughts.This can help my future game a lot.Anyways i'm studying what catches a player's attention when playing a game.I am adding features to my game, examples:Makes you feel like you have more control, express your feelings more, get addicted to many things in this game, living, taking care of your Pokemon, lots and lots more.I studied Pokemon anime and I will be adding lots of stuff ha ha.I worked on a lot also but just giving out hints for more people creating Pokemon games.Good luck to you all, Ganbarimasu ne!
Old May 7th, 2012 (04:10 AM).
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Can I just add that most of the users on PC still have to go to school/college/university etc. Also the concept of game developing takes years of practice, including all the trial and error on the way.
No, you all may be right that not everyone is an amazing spriter and scripter - Me included - but that's why you have many people working on a project.
What I say is that no matter how annoyed you may be with these little flaws like 'Spelling Errors' and 'Screenshots' is that you have to take into account the amount of time per-week that people have, the pace at which their fangame is progressing. If you support them and give them helpful advice and critique, it may help them correct it.
Old May 8th, 2012 (04:58 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I don't usually play GD games, but I can tell you that when you're using a standard font (Arial, Times New Roman, Helvetica, etc.) in your text boxes it looks really bad. Now I'm not saying create a fancy font with fifty serifs every character but do try to make the font look original yet still vaguely Pokémon-ish. (or you could go the cheap way and just use the Pokémon font)

This might seem like a small complaint, but since the only way to convey a storyline in a decent Pokémon-style game is through text, the font plays a key part in giving the full Pokémon vibe, while still being an original and fun game.

Old May 12th, 2012 (06:12 AM).
RandomComm3nt
Beginning Trainer

I don't see the problem with Fakemon, to me basically everything after Generation 3 is a Fakemon, and many of the ones on this site have way more originality than the Gen IV and V Pokemon.
Old May 12th, 2012 (10:59 PM).
Rayquaza.

There's nothing wrong with Fakemon. Their originality is what makes them so cool.
Old May 14th, 2012 (06:51 AM).
xdanx
But you can call me Dan :)

Problem with fakemons is that they're fake. Most people prefer real pokemon. Specially because some times fakemons are even worst than the original ones (which now is pretty hard considering how ugly 5th gen is). Not everyone loves something new made by (basically) a nobody just because it's new or original.

Make your own HGSS-style maps in RPG maker XP using:

Old May 16th, 2012 (04:52 AM).
Rayquaza.

[SIZE="a"]I hope I only have to say this once, but you shouldn't criticise people for Fakemon, the Pokémon company could potentially sue anyone for copyright infringement for using the Pokémon name anyway, so if you make Fakemon that are original then they you have less chance of being sued for stealing sprites and Pokémon names.

Also don't diss the 5th gen Pokémon, they're pretty good in my opinion. I'm sure many other people like them too. Have you ever tried to think of you own Pokémon? Don't criticise others for their work if you've never tried it yourself. It's pretty hard, I know because I've tried it.[/SIZE]
Old May 16th, 2012 (01:51 PM).
DarkDoom3000

my problem with fakemon is they're usually not up to the same quality as the official pokemon. it always makes it jarring seeing a badly drawn fakemon next to a official one.
Old May 16th, 2012 (02:04 PM).
Hideos
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
There's nothing wrong with Fakemon. Their originality is what makes them so cool.
I agree. Sadly most Fakemon have weird names and unedited cries which ruins most of their originality.

Old May 17th, 2012 (08:56 AM).
KivaSnS
Beginning Trainer

No original content is my biggest and followed by poorly planned games and spam in the topic Im reading about.
Old May 17th, 2012 (09:12 AM).
stranger
ghosts

If you're going to do fakemon, you should be consistent. Good designs, new cries, full movesets, well composed sprites. Otherwise they look tacky.

Besides, my mentality is that we have enough to choose from at 649 species, and about 1,000 forms. I don't see any need for fakemon in my own project. I feel that the originality should be put into other things such as gameplay, graphics and storyline.

surrounded by sweet easing pressure
no room for thoughts, but time for adventure
Old May 17th, 2012 (11:16 AM).
Rayquaza.

[SIZE="a"]I agree with your opinion, I still support Fakémon that are original and consistent.[/SIZE]
Old June 14th, 2012 (11:01 PM).
ZarakiKenpachiSan
Beginning Trainer

On a slightly different note, I just had a quick question about mapping. I know that consistency in tiles is important, which is pretty much the case in my outdoor tiles. However, I really can't find enough newer gen tiles for indoor maps, so I've had to use gen 3 tiles in some places to make up for them. Basically, is it a bad idea to use newer gen outdoor and old gen indoor tiles? and is it ok if i use newer gen tiles in some indoor maps, and older gen tiles in others?
Old June 16th, 2012 (07:23 PM).
DarkDoom3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZarakiKenpachiSan View Post
On a slightly different note, I just had a quick question about mapping. I know that consistency in tiles is important, which is pretty much the case in my outdoor tiles. However, I really can't find enough newer gen tiles for indoor maps, so I've had to use gen 3 tiles in some places to make up for them. Basically, is it a bad idea to use newer gen outdoor and old gen indoor tiles? and is it ok if i use newer gen tiles in some indoor maps, and older gen tiles in others?
posting a screenshot would be the best way to judge.
Old July 6th, 2012 (02:16 AM).
tootlerocks
Epic Trainer

Nature: Quirky
What I kinda find annoying is the fact that so many fangames are based off the GBA series (i.e. R/S/E/FR/LG). You rarely, if at all, see many games based off the DS versions. And also they try to imitate the tiny screen size of the GBA or even worse *shudder* the GBC. I can understand being realistic and all, and that's fine if that's what you're aiming to do. But I can't help but think that if it's a game for PC, shouldn't we be taking advantage of more of the available screen?
Don't hate me, I'm just saying.
ERROR #650: This Pokemon does not exist.
Old July 6th, 2012 (06:38 AM).
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootlerocks View Post
What I kinda find annoying is the fact that so many fangames are based off the GBA series (i.e. R/S/E/FR/LG). You rarely, if at all, see many games based off the DS versions. And also they try to imitate the tiny screen size of the GBA or even worse *shudder* the GBC. I can understand being realistic and all, and that's fine if that's what you're aiming to do. But I can't help but think that if it's a game for PC, shouldn't we be taking advantage of more of the available screen?
Don't hate me, I'm just saying.
Making a DS-like game will have to require 3D modelling. Seriously, if you're not sure whether that is necessary, look at Skyarrow Bridge. Besides, it's kind of hard to innovate what's already placed in stone. While it would be amazing, it's sort of unrealistic- some people still use 640x480.
Old July 7th, 2012 (08:04 AM).
Laurenellis
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
It is hard making up new monsters, but it isn't that hard. I think some Fakemon tend to go with quantity rather than quality.

What bothers me the most about some games is that they never finish or update you as the user with progress. I imagine that the developers didn't realize how much work it would take and they give up.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links