The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
Who exactly is the BARD? is he just some random dude or can he be beneficial in some way.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old December 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

my Fire Red Save file keeps deleting itself! What does this mean?

Hoenn, 1 Badge
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Kip
Highpaw!
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavile05 View Post
my Fire Red Save file keeps deleting itself! What does this mean?
Does it come up with a specific error on startup? If so could you post it?

If not then that's the classic sign of a dead battery. My Silver did that too. I'm not sure there's anything to be done other than buy a new FireRed cartridge (they're not that expensive, you're looking at about £10 on eBay).

Old December 27th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

It tells me my Save file has been deleted, but it doesn't give an Error message exactly, it just tells me that the save file was deleted, exactly like this.
"The save file was deleted..."
It always seems to happen after I don't play it for more than a few minutes, like once I turned it off and directly back on and it told me that my Save file was ok.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
If it tells you a message of some sort no matter what (ven the 'it is ok' ones) then it may actually be a fake game, as real gams should not do that. Of course there's always the very minor chance it is a legit game and just broken, but odds on it's a fake game.

Also note while Silver's dead battery did destroy the card, with rse/frlg, a dead internal battery would not hurt the save file - only time-based events like berry growing in RSE (because the game did not have such a dependence on the time feature). Also not the case with the DS games as they rely on the DS clock, not an internal battery.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Well my Grandma got it for me off of Amazon she said she is going to return it when I give it to her the next time she sees me and I'll use whatever money she got back to get a replacement. But yeah I had suspected it might be a fake because it took several tries for my DS and my Cousin's GBSP to read it and I used it to try and get a wild Growlithe on my Platinum and it wasn't working so... yeah I suspected it was a fake. Also the cartridge felt... different from other GBA Cartridges I had.

Oh and btw Kip, how much is 10 francs in american dollars?

Hoenn, 1 Badge
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Kip
Highpaw!

Quote:
Oh and btw Kip, how much is 10 francs in american dollars?
Um... Francs haven't been used in over a decade now. The French use the Euro (€) and have done since 1999. That was a British pound symbol (£).

So, to answer your question £10 = $15 USD approximatly. Sorry, I should've looked at your location thing more closely. ' My bad.

Old December 27th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

OH..... my bad as soon as I saw that you had replyed I thought "wait a minute, I think that was a euro symbol", and then it turned out to be pounds after all lol. Anyway ebay still isn't always very reliable so I will try gamestop before that.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
Quote:
OH..... my bad as soon as I saw that you had replyed I thought "wait a minute, I think that was a euro symbol", and then it turned out to be pounds after all lol. Anyway ebay still isn't always very reliable so I will try gamestop before that.
When you do go, make sure the cartridge you pick up is a see through orange-red color, the sticker is holographic, and that there's a Nintendo seal on it. I have seen GameStops with fake carts, so yeah. Just wanna make sure you get a good copy this time. :)

paired to peeta
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Actually... It has the Nintendo seal, the cartridge is more Red than orange-red though, and could you please define "Holographic", like what exactly does it mean?

Hoenn, 1 Badge
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Who exactly is the BARD? is he just some random dude or can he be beneficial in some way.
It seems your question wasn't answered. The BARD is a variant of NPCs in the Mauville Pokemon center. Some of them are more beneficial than others. Giddy just rambles, the Bard sings somewhat amusing songs and the storyteller tells stories, whereas people like Trader can give you deals on Secret Base goods and the Hipster who adds words to your vocabulary (for interviews, etc). They can be changed by mixing records and which of these guys you get is entirely random.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Capris
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Actually... It has the Nintendo seal, the cartridge is more Red than orange-red though, and could you please define "Holographic", like what exactly does it mean?
Holographic just means that it has a certain shine to it, like when you move it you'll see the light reflecting on it. You'll probably get it once you see it.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Nukewarm
Beginning Trainer

During a pokemon battle in FR/LG, how do I end my turn without taking any action? I don't want to attack, switch pokemon, or use an item. I just want my turn to end. If there isn't a direct method of doing this, can someone recommend an easy solution that doesn't involve wasting PP?

Thanks
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Idiot!
One shot, one kill.

Insert random filler here.

Last edited by Idiot!; January 1st, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Kip
Highpaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukewarm View Post
During a pokemon battle in FR/LG, how do I end my turn without taking any action? I don't want to attack, switch pokemon, or use an item. I just want my turn to end. If there isn't a direct method of doing this, can someone recommend an easy solution that doesn't involve wasting PP?

Thanks
I think that's part of the game that you can't skip a turn, and you may need to change your strategy in order to suit this. There is, nor has there any been, a way to skip a turn in any Pokémon game so far. Your best option is switching Pokémon in and out. I'm curious though - why would you want to skip a turn?

Old December 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Nukewarm
Beginning Trainer

The following is within the scope of beating the normal game. I do not play competetively.

I've decided to pick Venusaur as my starting pokemon, and use the following moveset for tough battles:

Leech Seed
Sleep Powder
Double Team
Poison Powder/Substitute (Don't know if I NEED sub for AI opponents)

I'm sure this is a known combo. If not, the idea is that I put the opponent to sleep right off the bat with sleeping powder, hit him with leech seed, and buff my evasion with double team. When evasion is at +6 (And the 1st guy is probably dead), I hit everything else with poison+leech seed, and sit there while they wiff.

Since venusaur will have buffed evasion, I want to keep him in to tank. Since he doesn't have an active attack, I have no real way of using him at that point, thus the need to simply end my turn.

As a 4th attack, I've considered something active, such as Solar Beam, or Megadrain. Megadrain has only 5 uses in FR/LG, so eff that. Solarbeam is very cool, but I think I prefer poison powder just for the added life drain. 1/4 hp a tick sounds very nice.

I searched pretty tirelessly for a way for Venusaur to inflict a secondary status ailment, like confuse, but haven't found one. If anyone knows of a way to do this, or has any general ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear from them.

Edit
------
Quick follow up question: Do Pikachus holding "Light Balls" exit in Leaf Green? I'm not looking forward to restarting my game in emerald or something

Thanks,
<- This guy

Last edited by Nukewarm; December 28th, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Kip
Highpaw!

Quote:
Quick follow up question: Do Pikachus holding "Light Balls" exit in Leaf Green? I'm not looking forward to restarting my game in emerald or something
Light Balls are held by wild Pikachu in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald only. In FR/LG they don't have them.

Pikachu can be found on RSE in the Safari Zone, Area 1 and 2. There is only a 5% chance that it will appear and even then there's still only a chance they will be holding a Light Ball. On the bright side you don't need to restart your Emerald to get one, but on the downside you need to wait until you complete the FR/LG main story and get the Ruby and the Sapphire in order to trade with R/S/E. :/

Old December 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Nukewarm
Beginning Trainer

Codebreaker ftw. Light ball down, Thick Club here I come.
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capris View Post
Holographic just means that it has a certain shine to it, like when you move it you'll see the light reflecting on it. You'll probably get it once you see it.
Well, the sticker is not Holographic, the Cartridge is see-through red, and the official Nintendo seal of quality is on it. Could it still be a fake game?

Hoenn, 1 Badge
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Hm, is there anyway possible that you could take a picture? Cause I find that odd. The sticker should definitely be holo.

paired to peeta
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Christopher
Hear Me Roar
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
My Sticker is not a holographic one though I bought mine in walmart on release day the sticker should be Gold outlined in a sun like zigzag pattern in an oval right above the version # I.E AGB-BPRE-USA
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

It would help if I actually had my game next to me, I reckon. But I recall the sticker having some shine to it. Then again, FRLG are my least favorite games, so it's not like I pick them up and play them all the time. So holographic might have been the wrong word to use, my bad.

paired to peeta
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Quote:
The following is within the scope of beating the normal game. I do not play competetively.

I've decided to pick Venusaur as my starting pokemon, and use the following moveset for tough battles:

Leech Seed
Sleep Powder
Double Team
Poison Powder/Substitute (Don't know if I NEED sub for AI opponents)

I'm sure this is a known combo. If not, the idea is that I put the opponent to sleep right off the bat with sleeping powder, hit him with leech seed, and buff my evasion with double team. When evasion is at +6 (And the 1st guy is probably dead), I hit everything else with poison+leech seed, and sit there while they wiff.

Since venusaur will have buffed evasion, I want to keep him in to tank. Since he doesn't have an active attack, I have no real way of using him at that point, thus the need to simply end my turn.

As a 4th attack, I've considered something active, such as Solar Beam, or Megadrain. Megadrain has only 5 uses in FR/LG, so eff that. Solarbeam is very cool, but I think I prefer poison powder just for the added life drain. 1/4 hp a tick sounds very nice.

I searched pretty tirelessly for a way for Venusaur to inflict a secondary status ailment, like confuse, but haven't found one. If anyone knows of a way to do this, or has any general ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear from them.

Edit
------

Thanks,
<- This guy
I guess I should help you out. First off, having Poisonpowder and Sleep Powder in the same moveset, they can't be used at the same time, and there's no need to pick and choose between them every battle, either one is fine. Another thing that intrigued me is that you chose Poisonpowder, over Toxic, which can be obtained via TM, and is much better. The biggest problem here is that you need a solid attacking move. Razor Leaf is a good choice for a passive set, because it has high PP and a good critical hit rate. Solarbeam should be out of question without Sunny Day, and Mega Drain is outclassed by Giga Drain, which is also obtained via TM. If you want some REAL power, then give it Frenzy Plant. As of now, this set is far too passive and poorly constructed.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Nukewarm
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
I guess I should help you out. First off, having Poisonpowder and Sleep Powder in the same moveset, they can't be used at the same time, and there's no need to pick and choose between them every battle, either one is fine. Another thing that intrigued me is that you chose Poisonpowder, over Toxic, which can be obtained via TM, and is much better. The biggest problem here is that you need a solid attacking move. Razor Leaf is a good choice for a passive set, because it has high PP and a good critical hit rate. Solarbeam should be out of question without Sunny Day, and Mega Drain is outclassed by Giga Drain, which is also obtained via TM. If you want some REAL power, then give it Frenzy Plant. As of now, this set is far too passive and poorly constructed.
I'm the new guy here, and am currently revising the moveset, but I don't agree with some of the things you said (Within the context of single player).

If the opponent is sleeping, most of the time waiting 1 turn to build up solarbeam isn't going to matter.

Toxic seems awesome if the fight lasts for a long time, but it only overtakes poison by the 4th turn. Given poison + leech seed will kill anything that doesn't heal in 4 turns, I consider it to be no more than personal preference. Toxic has higher accuracy but lower PP than powder, so for the time being I went with the alternative.

Lastly, the idea of the moveset was that I wouldn't be choosing between sleep and poison; I would be using them both. Sleep to set up leech seed and double team, and poison to finish the fight(s) off. I'm currently debating sticking with this strategy though, so I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Overall, thanks for the input. Could have done without the little jab at the end though.
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Diamond1304
Gym Leader

Um hi! I just restarted my Emerald which I haven't played for 4 years so I'm still abit of a noob. What are the good and bad natures for a Mudkip? I might be teaching it Surf, Waterfall, Dive and Earthquake unless I find another Pokemon for those HMs...

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links