The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
shanecdavis
Prof. Davis

If you have access to FRLG, I would HIGHLY suggest you use Butterfree over Beautifly. Its Compoundeyes ability makes it a good in-game lead. I would also take Shuckle over Dustox. At any rate, I would dump Volbeat and replace it with Shedinja. Also, make sure to teach Armaldo Water Pulse. Makes it a good Fire counter, as Fire is only normal damage.
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
the saved files on the GameFAQs site how to I get them to run, everytime I try to load up a save state I get error messenges and the emulator closes down

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Vuallum
Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vuallum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
the saved files on the GameFAQs site how to I get them to run, everytime I try to load up a save state I get error messenges and the emulator closes down
IMO this question would be more like an emulation sector question, but anyhow.

You need to firstly open up the ROM which you wish to make the new .sav file for, then, go to Options -> Import -> Gameshark Snapshot and click on the snapshot you downloaded (download history works well here), it will give you a yes or no box telling you any previous saves for that ROM will be deleted and wishes to know if you will continue, do so and you will now have the save file you downloaded working.
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
there is no Import -> Gameshark Snapshot under Options

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Vuallum
Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vuallum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
there is no Import -> Gameshark Snapshot under Options
whoops, I meant File, my bad
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM
-Leaf
What do I put here?

So.. im kind of new here. nah whatever..
Does in the 3rd gen Pokemon's crys just pop out of nowhere? today i played leafgreen hapily untill 2 crys of a pokemon (i think its a ponyta or my moltres) out of nowhere, the secend one was just stupid if it was a feature, i was just going off my snorlax after a nice surf and guess what heppened.. a cry of a pokemon suddenly appeared! and i was on an island.. no grass whatsoever..

i just hate it, why does this heppen it creeps me out (did pokemon turned out to be a horror game?)
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Jumpluff
I make the Rules, You follow.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jumpluff
What route can I catch an Fire Type at the start of the game In Sapphire?

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Sesh
X}

Send a message via AIM to Sesh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sesh
@Leaf, yeah it happens, it's normal, wherever you go pokemon that can be found in that area will cry, which was good if you didn't know where to catch legendaries cause occasionally you'd catch their cry too. But basically it's just there to give you an idea of what kind of pokemon you can find in that particular route.

@Jumpluff
Um just no, fire pokemon are in short supply as it is, you wont find any fire pokemon till about the 4th badge. So unless you picked Torchic sorry you're out of luck.

90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed...If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.
[Is myspace your drug?]

92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
[To like rap is to fail XP]
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM
shanecdavis
Prof. Davis

If you started with Mudkip, you will have no use for a Fire-type. They are totally over-rated anyway.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Sesh
X}

Send a message via AIM to Sesh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sesh
Althought that's an opinion, i agree Mudkip is a really good starter and if you did pick him he should serve you well.

But yeah you'll have to wait till Lavaridge for any hopes of getting a fire pokemon

90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed...If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.
[Is myspace your drug?]

92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
[To like rap is to fail XP]
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesh View Post
Althought that's an opinion, i agree Mudkip is a really good starter and if you did pick him he should serve you well.

But yeah you'll have to wait till Lavaridge for any hopes of getting a fire pokemon
I thought you can get them right after the 3rd badge in the grass past the boulders and in the cave
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
True Reign
  

Quote:
If you started with Mudkip, you will have no use for a Fire-type. They are totally over-rated anyway.
They have their uses, Shane.

Quote:

Wrong. You can catch fire-types in the cave to the right of the fourth gym.

Quote:
I thought you can get them right after the 3rd badge in the grass past the boulders and in the cave
Your right.

The fire-types in this game are found mostly in the Magma Hideout or the cave on your way to Fallobar Town. Torkoal and Slugma are found there.
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
shanecdavis
Prof. Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by -[JD]- View Post
They have their uses, Shane.
I disagree. Their weaknesses far outweigh any strength they have. They are weak to Ground, Rock, and Water moves while Fire moves are strong against Bug, Grass, Ice, and Steel. Bug and Grass are easily covered by Flying, there are only 16 Ice-types (6 of which are also Water and only 3 are mono Ice), and Steel is easily covered by Ground. The reason you don't find useful Fire-types in RSE is mainly because there is no use for them. You can call it my opinion, but there is a good reason why most competitive teams are without a Fire-type.
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
True Reign
  

Quote:
I disagree. Their weaknesses far outweigh any strength they have. They are weak to Ground, Rock, and Water moves while Fire moves are strong against Bug, Grass, Ice, and Steel. Bug and Grass are easily covered by Flying, there are only 16 Ice-types (6 of which are also Water and only 3 are mono Ice), and Steel is easily covered by Ground. The reason you don't find useful Fire-types in RSE is mainly because there is no use for them. You can call it my opinion, but there is a good reason why most competitive teams are without a Fire-type.
Yes, I agree with you that in R/S/E there is no use for them. As a replacement you could use the stronger flying and/or ground types; however, they still have their uses in and out of competitive battling.

Quote:
You can call it my opinion, but there is a good reason why most competitive teams are without a Fire-type.
Heatran is used commonly amongst competitive battling teams.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Quote:
Originally Posted by -[JD]- View Post
Heatran is used commonly amongst competitive battling teams.
i thought this was R/S/E not D/D/P ;D
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
True Reign
  

I know, but Shane was saying how fire types were no common among competitive teams. He was wrong and I correctly him.
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
rescuecp

What is the best team in fire red and ruby?

...So let's put our faces in the snow!
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
shanecdavis
Prof. Davis

There is no "best team". The AI is so bad that as long as you give them a sensible moveset, ANY collection of Pokemon will be successful.

That said, for RSE I have always been partial to Swampert/Swellow/Gardevoir. Those three rip through the game the fastest because it doesn't require them to be a very high level. I completed the game with them in their mid-40's.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
CrasH
Beasterling

On a natures chart I have it says the "serious" nature varies beteen pokemon. Is that a good or a bad thing, and how could I tell?
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
jigglyppuff8

Nature: Modest
Natures have a major impact on a Pokemon stats. Different natures raise the stats of a stat and lower the stats of another. Some (4) don't raise or lower anything (avoid those; serious is one of them). Here's a quick list of natures and what stats they increase/decrease: http://www.smogon.com/dp/natures/ .

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
True Reign
  

Here is a quick chart for you to look at whenever you have questions regarding natures of your Pokemon.

Serious is a neutral ability, so it is niether good nor bad; just not used that often in the Pokemon world unless you are a casual trainer, breeder, or coordinator.
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:03 PM
CrasH
Beasterling

Allright thanks.

yeah I knew about the neutral ones, but my chart said that the serious nature vaires between pokemon.

It's probablly just outdated.

- Thanks
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
True Reign
  

I have a question to ask : Swampert is going to be my starter Pokemon for Hoenn. I was thinking of using this set for the Battle Frontier:

@ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
252 HP // 252 Defense
- Surf
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

Tell me what you think of it.
Quote:
Allright thanks.

yeah I knew about the neutral ones, but my chart said that the serious nature vaires between pokemon.

It's probablly just outdated.

- Thanks
No problem, Crash. Here to help.

Last edited by True Reign; February 22nd, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:00 PM
shanecdavis
Prof. Davis

Why would you use Waterfall on Swampert when Surf is more powerful and just as accurate?
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Banshee
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Banshee Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Banshee Send a message via Yahoo to Banshee
Because Surf will also hurt your ally in a team battle. Plus, Waterfall has a 20% Flinch effect, whereas Surf will do double damage to someone underwater.

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links