Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Reload this Page The Simple Question & Answer Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Old February 21st, 2014 (04:51 PM).
I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Bellum
Nope, not used a single cheat code in this playthrough.

Btw I absolutely love Vulpix & Ninetales. If I ever need a fire type, I always catch a Female Vulpix and call her Mozilla (Vulpix being a fire type fox, Mozilla + Firefox xD)

"You trusted me, so I'll trust you too. That's what being friends means, doesn't it..?" - Rin Okumura, Blue Exorcist
Old February 21st, 2014 (05:52 PM).
The Red Death Alchemist

Nature: Brave
Erm... are you sure your cartridge is legit? Maybe you got a hacked cart... otherwise... I can't think of anything else. =/

Tausch Mit Mir?: 2208-5032-7062
Proud Member of Chaos Control & Equivalent Exchange!
Outlinks:
Twitter || deviantART Youtube
Potato Buddy

Old February 22nd, 2014 (12:26 AM).
I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Bellum
It's a rom...i'm doing a randomiser nuzlocke haha.

"You trusted me, so I'll trust you too. That's what being friends means, doesn't it..?" - Rin Okumura, Blue Exorcist
Old February 22nd, 2014 (10:30 AM).
Tomato Soup
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
I was thinking about roms as the answer but wasn't sure if you were playing one or not. I know for a modified game like a rom they'll change the trade evolution to a level-based evolution since trading isn't possible. I recently came across this in a game with Seadra evolving into Kingdra without trade, so I think that's what's going on in your game.
Old February 22nd, 2014 (02:33 PM).

So I reached the east of Fuschia city to talk to the guy who has EXP share. Problem is, I have only almost 30 pokemon in my dex. Kind of sounds like I'm lagging behind in capturing pokemon. Should I go back to all the previous areas to capture what I have missing from my Pokedex or just continue from where I left off?
Old February 22nd, 2014 (03:15 PM).
& having to receive it

Quote originally posted by Mittens95:
So I reached the east of Fuschia city to talk to the guy who has EXP share. Problem is, I have only almost 30 pokemon in my dex. Kind of sounds like I'm lagging behind in capturing pokemon. Should I go back to all the previous areas to capture what I have missing from my Pokedex or just continue from where I left off?
I'd say continue from where you left off, as going through previous areas could be a bit of pain. Once you have Fly, though, it shouldn't be much of an issue. :]
Old February 22nd, 2014 (05:57 PM).
Strike the Earth!
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Mittens95:
Like Vulpix stated, I would just wait till you get the option to Fly. Although the Experience Share is really handy, back tracking is a drag and will just ruin the experience a little bit. If I were you, just continue on your journey and continue catching Pokemon along the way. That way when you do eventually obtain Fly, you will have very little Pokemon left to capture!

Old February 24th, 2014 (06:48 PM).
The Avenger

Nature: Brave
As the title says i need help for picking on picking a Hoenn starter,So It would be really appreciated if you guys could tell me what starter I should pick and which one's have you picked when you played or are playing currently. Right now I'm thinking of using Torchic But that's personal preference.(By the way Mostly looking for the starter that will help me beat the game.)

Old Username:RedPhoenixMaster

Old February 24th, 2014 (06:51 PM).
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
Mudkip is probably the best if you want to speed through the game. Ts a bulky water/ground type making it only not do good against grass, however that is a big part throughout the game, so I'd say pick up an early Tailow as well.
Torchic is a good physical attacker that's Fire and Fighting and is also really good.
Treecko is basically just a speed demon with a bad move pool until later on, but it does help a lot.
They are all just fine options, but I'd say Swampert/Mudkip is your best bet.

Old February 25th, 2014 (09:46 AM).
Ooh, she's a little runaway~

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Cinderella
I'm gonna have to say Mudkip. Its typing is nice and the only problems you'll probably have are against the rival with their grass starter. It's a good tank and has decent attack power as well.
Old February 25th, 2014 (09:57 AM).
FireRed Nuzlocke

Nature: Naughty
I always use Torchic because iy can easily defeat the first 3 gyms. Then Flannery is easy amd Norman is taken out. The only one I had real ttouble with was the twins but by yhen I had picked ip Seviper/Mightyena.
Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile, Omega Groudon, Alpha Kyogre, Rayquaza

I have walked down the path of Hoenn, now I believe it is time to see what has changed since my intervention of the peaceful region. I shall adventure to the end for love of all Pokémon!
Old February 25th, 2014 (03:07 PM).
& having to receive it

I've played through Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald dozens of time before, and I mostly chose Torchic and Mudkip when it came to selecting a starter. With Blaziken, you could take down opponents pretty easily, as it's very powerful offensively. It's also quite fast, too. Swampert, as stated before, makes a great wall; with its help, you could endure countless amount of hits when battling and last longer turns. d:
Old February 26th, 2014 (02:23 AM).
WUB WUB
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Mudkip is great for the whole game since its evos are pretty bulky and only weak to Grass. My personal favorite is Torchic/Blaziken, since he packs a lot of power. I also found the E4 to be especially easy when using Blaziken, besides the Ghost and Dragon one you can Sky Uppercut your way through them no problem.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old February 26th, 2014 (04:05 AM).
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
As most have said, Mudkip is the best choice for getting through this game. You will need some plant coverage soon enough, but once you have that covered, you've got most of the game under your thumb. So yes, go with Mudkip. (The others are great, just not AS good when trying to get through the game.)

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old February 26th, 2014 (04:21 AM).

For me I Pick Torchic because it has amazing stats and if you think its weak pick mudkip if its cool pick torchic because it doesn't beat the first 1 gym but later it will be powerful because it will evolve into a Flaming Combusken then the amazing Blaziken
Old March 1st, 2014 (08:44 AM).

(Emerald) So I am in Mossdeep city now and that guy on the shore can teach me Dynamicpunch. My current moveset for Blaziken is:

Slash, Bulk up, Double kick and blaze kick

I don't really want to get rid of any of these moves because bulk up makes him beastly in harder battles, double kick usually destroys, blaze kick is his only fire move and slash is for general use and improves with bulk up. Which move should I get rid of?

Or I can teach the move to Raichu or Cacturne but I don't know because STAB won't apply then.
Old March 1st, 2014 (09:03 AM).
Dragon tamer

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to garchomp47
You can get rid of slash, dynamic punch is good move, also you will be have STAB.
Old March 1st, 2014 (09:26 AM).

Quote originally posted by garchomp47:
You can get rid of slash, dynamic punch is good move, also you will be have STAB.
Yeah but slash is a very reliable move and can be used for most types and has high critical hit ratio.
Dynamicpunch has 50 accuracy so it isn't as reliable :/
Old March 1st, 2014 (09:33 AM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
If you are concerned about reliability, I would skip Dynamic Punch. Blaziken learns Sky Uppercut at level 59 (I think), and not only is the accuracy higher, but the PP is too. Brick Break is a good option as well, with better accuracy than Sky Uppercut and it's a TM, so no grinding to level 59. One of these should replace Double Kick. You're getting to a point where it's not getting the job done, I'm sure.

happily received
Old March 1st, 2014 (09:42 AM). Edited March 1st, 2014 by 4768fitz.

Quote originally posted by Everlark:
If you are concerned about reliability, I would skip Dynamic Punch. Blaziken learns Sky Uppercut at level 59 (I think), and not only is the accuracy higher, but the PP is too. Brick Break is a good option as well, with better accuracy than Sky Uppercut and it's a TM, so no grinding to level 59. One of these should replace Double Kick. You're getting to a point where it's not getting the job done, I'm sure.
I would really like dynamic punch because I have never really used it before, brick break is only 15 more power than double kick but does break barriers etc. I do like sky uppercut but my blaziken is only level 45 and I just beat the 7th gym so don't have long to go. Is slash really necessary do you guys think?

EDIT: I obtained brick break and replaced double kick for it. Now it's just a case of if I need the extra power of dynamic punch.
Old March 1st, 2014 (09:56 AM). Edited March 1st, 2014 by Alli.
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Slash isn't necessary, but it is decent coverage against something that Fighting of Fire may not be able to do damage to, or just to quickly KO wild Pokemon if you're grinding. I personally prefer accuracy and reliability over power, so Dynamic Punch is something that I'd only use as novelty or coverage. I really think you should stick with Brick Break over DP, since it's not got a good accuracy and I don't think it's worth the time. If you really wanna try it out, I suggest giving it to a Pokemon that needs a coverage move, like Aggron. Then again, I don't know the rest of your party, so I can't say much for that.

edit: What you could do is save before you teach Blaziken DP then play around with it and see how you like it. If you don't like how it's working for you, just reset and then you won't suffer any loss. If you do like it, you can press on. Or if you wanna try it on other party members, you could test that too.

happily received
Old March 1st, 2014 (10:07 AM).

Slash isn't necessary, but it is decent coverage against something that Fighting of Fire may not be able to do damage to, or just to quickly KO wild Pokemon if you're grinding. I personally prefer accuracy and reliability over power, so Dynamic Punch is something that I'd only use as novelty or coverage. I really think you should stick with Brick Break over DP, since it's not got a good accuracy and I don't think it's worth the time. If you really wanna try it out, I suggest giving it to a Pokemon that needs a coverage move, like Aggron. Then again, I don't know the rest of your party, so I can't say much for that.
Yeah I'm going to stick with what it has now since slash is still taking out trainer's pokemon in one hit without the crit and brick break is a good choice (thanks for pointing that move out I didn't even realise you could obtain it).

In terms of my other pokemon my tentacruel has this:

Sludge bomb, Surf, Dive (temporary) and ice beam.

I don't know what to teach it after dive is no longer needed. I sadly had to lose swagger for dive :/

my cacturne has these moves:

needle arm, faint attack, leech seed and pin missle

I don't know whether to teach it giga drain or solarbeam or any other suggestions?

the rest of my team (raichu, swellow and claydol) have a decent moveset so are okay for now (unless you have good movesets for them), thanks in advance!
Old March 1st, 2014 (11:54 AM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

That's a shame about losing Swagger. I suggest replacing Dive with Toxic. If you don't know where that is, it's in the Fiery Path. You need Strength to reach it. Also a Fire Stone in that area as well!

For Cacturne, I would scrap Pin Missile for Giga Drain. Even though GD has 5 PP in this gen, I think it's better to have a move that regains HP than a move that takes one turn to use, assuming you don't have anyone with Sunny Day. Also, I think Cacturne can learn Dynamic Punch, so if you still want to toy with that, scrap Pin Missile for it. Pin Missile is gonna have to go sooner or later. :P

happily received
Old March 1st, 2014 (03:54 PM).

That's a shame about losing Swagger. I suggest replacing Dive with Toxic. If you don't know where that is, it's in the Fiery Path. You need Strength to reach it. Also a Fire Stone in that area as well!

For Cacturne, I would scrap Pin Missile for Giga Drain. Even though GD has 5 PP in this gen, I think it's better to have a move that regains HP than a move that takes one turn to use, assuming you don't have anyone with Sunny Day. Also, I think Cacturne can learn Dynamic Punch, so if you still want to toy with that, scrap Pin Missile for it. Pin Missile is gonna have to go sooner or later.
Yeah I like using toxic on the really strong pokemon, thanks for location

I like the sound of gigs drain, plus I have a pp Max and pp ups lying about too :D

Thanks for all the help, looks like I'm sorted.
Old March 4th, 2014 (08:29 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Stoopid question, but how should I name my Blastoise? Tank or Wartoise?

Sponsored Links