Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tool] PKSV - Pokémon Script Editor + GUI

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old August 29th, 2008 (02:46 PM).
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Michael Allison Is Not I Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Michael Allison Is Not I Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Allison Is Not I Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Allison Is Not I
On topic, I'd like to say this program lags like the devil on my fully functional, 32-bit Windows Vista computer.

And yes, you are a poo face. Get over it.
Old August 29th, 2008 (02:50 PM).
I program the *other* ASM.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Rash
Quote originally posted by Michael Allison Is Not I:
On topic, I'd like to say this program lags like the devil on my fully functional, 32-bit Windows Vista computer.

And yes, you are a poo face. Get over it.
How did you know my web-developer-based weakness? Spacer GIFs!
Actually, that's off topic. It's physically impossible for this to lag more than VB.

Now can we please, stop destroying the thread? Its shields are low and it's got severe damage to the right wing.

I shall restate, for those facing critical meltdown and G-Diffuser overload because of this thread, read post 3888883.
Old August 29th, 2008 (02:54 PM).
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Michael Allison Is Not I Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Michael Allison Is Not I Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Allison Is Not I Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Allison Is Not I
It's off topic to discuss your lag? And that's like, the most retarded comment I've ever heard. It's not physically impossible for a C program to run slower than a Visual Basic .NET program. So, what your saying is Windows, a C-based OS, uses less memory to run than my simple starter editor created in Visual Basic .NET? Wow. I didn't know that!

Next time I give you valid criticism, you take it like a man, and like a programmer. Obviously your program uses a lot of resources in general, or just wigs out when facing Vista. Either way, it's a bug, and it should be brought to the developer's attention.

Admittedly, though, a perfectly coded program in Visual Basic .NET, depending on it's purpose, might lag a bit more than something written in a high level programming language like C or Basic. However, there are a number of drawbacks to both developer and user when using high level programming languages unnecessarily.
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:00 PM).
Crystal Tier

Windows, a C-based OS, uses less memory to run than my simple starter editor created in Visual Basic .NET? Wow. I didn't know that!
I'm not even going to answer that.
Quote originally posted by MAINI again:
Next time I give you valid criticism, you take it like a man, and like a programmer
It would help if you actually had the program, or if it was physically possible that it should lag more than any .NET prog. More x86 opcodes [used in high level .NET and VB routines] = more lag. Therefore much less [glibc and C routines] = less lag.
Quote:
Obviously your program uses a lot of resources in general, or just wigs out when facing Vista. Either way, it's a bug, and it should be brought to the developer's attention.
It uses 2 megabytes of RAM.
And if it genuinely does lag [ha!] and use many resources, I suggest an advanced programmer like you could easily point out the bottleneck's VM address using OllyDBG.
Or SoftIce, or whatever you prefer for this type of work.
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:03 PM).

Mike. Just get over it. Remind me what score_under has done to directly insult you?
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:04 PM).
Banned

Memory usage varies on different computers. Also, like I said, different situations call for different languages and tactics. Why the hell were object-oriented programming languages created if they're useless? For a C programmer, you really don't know a lot about the business in general, no offense.

Also, for your purposes, I can confidently say, with experience, that your program would not be afflicted with too much excess lag were you to change languages to something like Visual Basic or Visual C#! And I do actually have the program. And I only downloaded it to bug test it, because I was bored. I'm not using it, but to be honest, if you don't want to improve your program, then go ahead and disregard my posts. I, for one, think that's pretty stupid.

And, Gabe, nothing much. Dude, I just gave him some helpful information, not even criticism per say, and his amazing inferiority complex kicks in, he gets all defensive, and suddenly his program defies everything Turing ever said, because it has no bugs whatsoever, and is perfect, regardless of platform.

Get over yourself, kid. I gave you some information on your program. I'd be thanking you had you done the same. Albeit sarcastically, because I dislike you with the passion of 17 poodles on funky cold Medina.
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:09 PM).

Maybe he wouldn't think you were just saying it to annoy him if you hadn't come and annoyed him about copyrighted sprites. Speaking of copyrighted sprites, what had 494 of those... Oh yeah, starter cat!
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:13 PM).
Crystal Tier

Memory usage varies on different computers.
I would like you to post a debug session, to prove your point is valid as I don't honestly believe you.
Quote:
Also, like I said, different situations call for different languages and tactics. Why the hell were object-oriented programming languages created if they're useless?
To make coding easier when you don't have linked lists.
Quote:
I can confidently say, with experience, that your program would not be afflicted with too much excess lag were you to change languages to something like Visual Basic or Visual C#!
This is just flamebaiting, without even the slightest element of truth.
Quote:
And I do actually have the program. And I only downloaded it to bug test it, because I was bored. I'm not using it, but to be honest, if you don't want to improve your program, then go ahead and disregard my posts. I, for one, think that's pretty stupid.
If you, being a programmer could post a screenshot of the bottleneck in memory usage
using OllyDBG, I would regard that as a complete bug report and it would help further improve my program(-ming).

Quote:
And nothing. Dude, I just gave him some helpful information, not even criticism per say, and his amazing inferiority complex kicks in, he gets all defensive, and suddenly his program defies everything Turing ever said, because it has no bugs whatsoever, and is perfect, regardless of platform.
My program is not perfect. It's good enough for me and that's why I made it.

Quote:
Get over yourself, kid. I gave you some information on your program. I'd be thanking you had you done the same. Albeit sarcastically, because I dislike you with the passion of 17 poodles on funky cold Medina.
I have got over myself.
I have received dubiously anomalous information on my program from you.
I would be thanking you, had there been any detail on what causes it.

Are there... poodles on Medina? Ah well, I'd probably shoot them before I notice what they are...

Quote originally posted by gabe_k:
starter cat!
Ah, the glorious days of SU<->MAINI neutrality.
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:33 PM). Edited August 29th, 2008 by Christos.
Banned

Score_Under, you have limited knowledge of programming. And no, I'm not posting screenshots and debug sessions to prove a well-known fact of computing to you. If you go on another computer, and run the same application, and perform different operations with it, it's memory usage will differ. It's not that illusive a fact, or something.

I credited Nintendo on most Starter Cat releases, and had anyone said anything, I'd have removed any copyrighted images. Also, I didn't modify any sprites at all.

I gave you enough details. Your program, in general, lags on Vista. I'm not giving you a full debug report and taking 30 screenshots and a video capture session! You're the developer, figure it out!

No, you haven't gotten over yourself. You say things without knowing what you're talking about so you can feel good about yourself. No, my comment wasn't flamebaiting, and yes, it was pure truth. I would be willing to bet in conversion to an object-oriented programming language, your program would be hardly suffer any extraneous lag whatsoever.

When you're a douche in my topic, I usually ignore it. When I post valid, however annoying to you they are, points in yours, you disregard them and use them as a springboard for various nonsensical insults.

Gabe, honestly, you've blown up about everything anyone does, especially me, on this forum, who's in PokeSpam, at every single opertunity arrisen. I'm tired of it. You're not our caretakers, and you seriously need to just chill out. The most successful mediators are ones who let be until intervention is absolutely necessary. Not everybody has to be in love with you, man. Just because not everyone is happy with eachother at the moment doesn't mean your precious programming group is going to fall apart and your live's work is going down the drain in one fatal blow. Score_Under and I bickering isn't making everybody hate PokeSpam all of a sudden. This is a personal affair between Score_Under and I, and to be completely honest, everything I've said was reasonable. It may have not been nice, but it was certanily reasonable. I did like, 3 unreasonable things, it was because I was bored, and Score_Under probably laughed at them more than he was offended by them.

Anyway, Darthatron and I, and a lot of other people on the board, think you're a bit conceited, Score_Under. I'm not associating with you anymore, so yeah, I think I'll just stay out of your release topics from now, and you stay out of mine, because it's obvious you have a crippling fear of inadequacy.
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:44 PM).
I've seen things, man.

Because Mr.Michael asked me to

First, Michael don't use Vista, everything lags.

Second, this thread derailed like a skater losing balance on a grind, why don't you kids just play nice, and not talk, If you have better advice, then why not just give it, stop being gluts(Can anyone catch that pun?) ;)

Where the heck are the mods? They should be doing this.

Get this lack of a thread back on topic.

IMO(There's enough open source script editors already. And hex editing a script is much better then using a parser)

potato is not here.

bye
Old August 29th, 2008 (03:55 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by interdpth:
gluts(Can anyone catch that pun?)
Yes! A nice, open-source library! Go glut!

Quote:
Where the heck are the mods? They should be doing this.
I have summoned them with the exclamation-mark-in-a-triangle of doom.

I think that if MAINI sticks to his promise and does not create any more havoc in this thread, then this will return safely on-topic.
Old August 29th, 2008 (10:42 PM).
CS

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Okay then, if anyone starts this again, they're getting an infraction.
Old August 30th, 2008 (12:07 AM).
General Cool Guy

The download worked! Hooray!

And I like to say, not to join in on the argument but to encourage people to download this brilliant program, it doesn't lag. Not on my computer anyway.
Old August 30th, 2008 (05:16 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by El_Moss:
The download worked! Hooray!

And I like to say, not to join in on the argument but to encourage people to download this brilliant program, it doesn't lag. Not on my computer anyway.
As soon as I repartition my hard drive, I will test it on an emulated Vista installation...
Old August 30th, 2008 (11:19 AM).
General Cool Guy

How the heck do you insert scripts?
Old August 30th, 2008 (11:40 AM).
Crystal Tier

You just find some free space (ctrl+p) and overwrite that area of the ROM, using #org (since it's not being used). Press F9, or ROM tools->Compile, or click the cog button on the toolbar, as this will save the script to the ROM.
Then you just put in the script offset (usually the first #org) into AdvanceMap or equivalent, and save.
Old August 30th, 2008 (02:05 PM).
What should I put here...

I just downloaded this after looking for a better script editor than Pokescript, and I have to say it works great!

Also I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit and so far I'm seeing no lag. So that proves Mike's rumor false.

W00t! I'm back!
Old August 30th, 2008 (05:43 PM).
meow :)

Nature: Hardy
Quote originally posted by nrox653:
Also I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit and so far I'm seeing no lag. So that proves Mike's rumor false.
If he were going to say anything, he'd say "I already told you, it depends on the computer!"

But: That's a good sign.
(Preferred) Pearl: 3651-8559-8001
Platinum: 1290-6232-5116
PBR: 0688-3287-1225
Old August 30th, 2008 (06:23 PM).
Back for now.

Nature: Relaxed
Nice! This program is awesome! But I'm wondering something: How do I decompile scripts in GS? I followed the instructions, but it just said that the script/event didn't exist!

So, could you give me the numbers I would put in for editing the fat man in New Bark Town as an example? Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2008 (08:37 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Melash:
Nice! This program is awesome! But I'm wondering something: How do I decompile scripts in GS? I followed the instructions, but it just said that the script/event didn't exist!

So, could you give me the numbers I would put in for editing the fat man in New Bark Town as an example? Thanks!
In GoldMap, go to the map containing the event.
Double-click it.
Now, you will see an "Event address", and in brackets, 2 sets of hex numbers.
Take everything after the bracket and before the colon (usually 2 characters) and put it in PKSV's "Event Bank".
Now, exit that little property window and double-click the event. Fill in (in PKSV) the exact text bank and text block.
Click "Convert", then "Decompile".
Old August 31st, 2008 (09:24 AM).
C++/ASM Programmer

Nature: Hasty
I think you could add some HM move scripts for the script generator. That would help me a lot.
Old August 31st, 2008 (12:39 PM).
Crystal Tier

There is no point in replicating these scripts, as all just use the same one for consistency.

FR:
Strength = 1BE11D
Cut = 1BDF13
Surf = 1A6AC8

Since I know it'll be required at some point...
PC script = 1A6998
"Pokemon was placed in box X" = 1A8C3C

I could give some more commonly-used script offsets, if you want.
Old September 4th, 2008 (03:28 PM).
Back for now.

Nature: Relaxed
Okay, whenever I try to run Assosiate_Shell.bat, I get an error message saying "A file cound not be found. I'm using 98. Thanjks for the help!
Old September 5th, 2008 (09:26 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Melash:
Okay, whenever I try to run Assosiate_Shell.bat, I get an error message saying "A file cound not be found. I'm using 98. Thanjks for the help!
This is probably a lack of "reg.exe" on your computer (a command-line registry editor, standard with some newer versions of Windows).

If you want to do this manually, remember the name of the PKSV folder (mine is located at C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\src\PKSVUI) and we shall refer to this as FOLDER.
Go to registry editor (start->run, regedit, OK) and expand the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" (this may take a while) key if it is not done so already. Then right-click it and add a new key. Name the key ".pks".
Go to the new key, and there will be a default value in it, double-click it and set it to "PKSVScript".
Then go back to the top and create another key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT called "PKSVScript" (yes, that again ). Set the default value in that key to "PKSV Compiler Script", then right-click the key and press new key. This should create a key INSIDE PKSVScript. Name the new key DefaultIcon, and change its default value to "FOLDER\pksvui.exe,2"
Back in PKSVScript, create another new key called "shell". Set the default value to "edit". Then inside "shell", create a new key, "edit". Set the default value to "&Edit".
Inside "edit", create another key called "command" and set the default value to ""FOLDER\pksv.exe" "%1"".
Back inside "shell", create yet another key, "comp". Set the default value to "&Compile". Then create a new key inside "comp" called "command". Set the default value to ""FOLDER\pksv.exe" -r "%1""

And then you should be done.
Old September 5th, 2008 (12:24 PM).

Nature: Lonely
This program is so much easier and user-friendly compared to others, this has helped me so much
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links