Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page Why do we ROM-hack?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Do you love hacking? Please be honest......
Yeah, I sure do! 603 91.50%
Nah... Not interested... 41 6.22%
I Just Wanna Play Hacks 15 2.28%
Voters: 659. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2007 (11:05 PM). Edited June 21st, 2008 by destinedjagold.
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
There are now many ROM-hacks around here in PC which is very nice and shows a lot of hard work from the hackers, themselves, either with their respectful and cooperative team, or their inspiration in doing things solo.

To all of you, share with us, why do you wish to ROM-hack? :3

Spoiler:
Only post reasons about the topic. Thanks.

3DS FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old November 24th, 2007 (08:17 AM). Edited November 25th, 2007 by pkmnmaster69.
When will this day end?

Well i normally learn to hack for fun and i also do it because i got bored when i completed pokemon diamond

Click here to level up my license!
Old November 24th, 2007 (11:52 AM).
Got my Zoroark and everything!

Nature: Hasty
I do it as a Hobby, my Parents don't mind it, in fact my Dad thinks it's pretty cool.
When I discovered Pokémon Hacking, I became Addicted to it. It helps me not
be all depressed and stuff.

My X/Y Team:

Old November 24th, 2007 (01:56 PM).
Rocket's Revenge

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Erimgard
I do it because I have lots of ideas that I can put into them, and it's a good way to pass the time. mentally stimulating

Temple of Theorizing: A great online community to discuss the mysteries of the Zelda series
Old November 24th, 2007 (01:58 PM).

Location: Looking for TheGoldVersion. He/She/It is out there somewhere...
I've always dreamed of a tool like this. I thought I was pretty spiffy when I was able to turn my GBA into a Rom...

But then I learned you can actually edit it? Amazing. I've always dreamed of making my own pokemon adventure plot, and now I actually can.
Old November 24th, 2007 (03:11 PM).

I like to hack because you can make your own game. You make the Pokemon Game, that you want it to be. It won't be what Nintendo considers a good game, it will be your ideas put into it.

But then there are other rare times when I just can't stand it. Sometimes, I just feel like quitting.
Old November 24th, 2007 (03:39 PM).
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier

Hey, thanks everyone for sparing time in posting. It cleared my head a little now. :D

Old November 24th, 2007 (05:36 PM).
Gold Remaker

Nature: Quiet
Well, I love anything that relates to videogames, I've grown with them, so it's not rare that I'd love to make my own videogames. So, I started with the basic: RPG Maker (yeah, I'm a RPG fan, in case you've forgotten), and I did my own stuff and I had lots of fun with it. That, till I tried to make a Pokémon related game, and that's when things didn't go so good (lots of effort were needed), and then a comment said that RPG games sucked, and hacks were better, so I, feeling insulted, decided to give hacks a try, and, what would you know? I find it a lot more entertaining! :D

Of course, things weren't as easy at first, but I've kept hacking for a few years now (with a big break between), and I think I'll keep hacking for a few more years now, that, till I get bored of Pokémon (I doubt I could hack anything else...)

So, basically, I hack because I love it! The feeling of watching the changes you make to the game is something indescribable! <3

Old November 24th, 2007 (05:51 PM).
///Keepin' it simple
Silver Tier

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley Send a message via Skype™ to cooley
Well, I hack to show others that you can do anything, if you want to do it badly.
Like I, Learned to script with hex(thanks to the help of Blazichu, and The dude),

So really, I didn't need a tutorial or anything, I had to learn by myself(and with some help from BC and The Dude). Other than hack, I mean that, I hack for the Heck of it.

Old November 24th, 2007 (06:02 PM).
Who Do You Think?

Nature: Adamant
I hack (Or kind of used to) because it's more active than fanfics and sprite comics. xD
Old November 25th, 2007 (09:19 AM).
Lunatic Lunar Rabbit

Location: In a white void, waiting to be illustrated by my mind.
Nature: Quiet
Why do we hack? A simple question that has no right or wrong answer. I hack because its a fun thing to do. When I feel bored, I'll decide to read over some tutorials. And then with enough knowledge, eventually, all of us can make a hack that's so good, people think its real. We hack because we love Pokemon and want to make a game with what we want in it. We hack for friends to enjoy. Sometimes, people hack for profit because they're cheapskates. Overall, I'd say because it's fun. It can be a hobby. It gives people something to do if they aren't athletic. And mainly, because it is fun.

Stuff. Game Swag, your #1 stop for video game swag.
Old November 25th, 2007 (05:09 PM).
This Changes Everything. Again

Send a message via AIM to Apple Inc. Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Apple Inc.
I hack because its a good stress reliever and it feels good to have people like your work. I also like to do it to make a game better than a game made by Nintendo, whether it be story or features

Old November 25th, 2007 (06:47 PM).
Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses's Avatar
Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses is offline
The one you hate to love. :P

I DON'T Hack because I spend my time on making real games, hacking just never intrested me.
Old November 25th, 2007 (07:00 PM). Edited November 25th, 2007 by Midnight Beat.
elit resu motsuc
Gold Tier

I tryed hacking myself, but I could never keep the attention span.
Anyway, I belive people hack as a creative outlet. It's just like drawing or singing, it lets you put your ideas out ther and work with something you enjoy. Not to mention it lets you put what you've always wanted to see in a pokemon game, in. Although this concept has started to fade away as we are seeing more and more noobish hacks. And not to sound like a Shiny Gold fan boy here, but look what Zel has done. It really shows his passion, versus the slight mapping changes people are trying to pass as hacks. >.>

<<--Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away- Unknown-->>
Old November 26th, 2007 (03:31 PM).
used Bone Club...?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
When I was little I would come up with all kinds of ideas for Pokemon. My friends and I would always discuss the perfect regions and the perfect game. Ironically we even dreamed of a program on the computer that would allow you to make Pokemon games; I simply thought it was all a silly dream. Then, one holiday weekend I started playing roms of games I hadn't seen in a long time, when I found a game I hadn't seen before; a Pokemon game set in the Orange Islands (no it wasn't Naranja, it was for the GB). I was crazy about it! I wanted to know how they did it! I searched and searched and finally I found tutorials on rom-hacking. I get better and better and let my creative juices flow from my brain into my games! To me, Rom-hacking is a dream come true.
Old November 28th, 2007 (03:42 PM).
///Keepin' it simple
Silver Tier

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley Send a message via Skype™ to cooley
Quote originally posted by Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses:
I DON'T Hack because I spend my time on making real games, hacking just never intrested me.
Ok, but THIS thread is about "Why DO WE HACK" not, why we don't like to hack.

Old November 29th, 2007 (07:48 AM).
え?

Why do we hack?
Well we do rom-hacking because we like it, we like it as in various ways. Some do it as a profession and some do it as a hobby. We wan't to create new idea's for games and show them in our games. In simple, we wan't to be game creators. Meh...I do it cos I like it, and we do get alot of knowledge from rom-hacking. Only people who are very talented can only rom-hack so good. example-zel...he's my idol XD Because of him I started hacking and got interested. At first I didn't even know what it meant but as soon as we know, we want to do it.

~Celebi
Old November 29th, 2007 (11:16 AM).
Man I gotta stop leaving!

Send a message via AIM to ~*Pikafan*~ Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~*Pikafan*~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~*Pikafan*~
^Almost everything in that post is what I was going to put in my post. What a coincidence (or however you spell that word, I never know how...)

The main reason why I hack is because I want to put my game ideas into the actual game. I want to make something really good and have some of the best ROM Hackers out there see it and like it, too. But that will be in a long, long, LONG time because I still don't know how to script and a lot of things.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band Rock. 'Nuff Said

I have a bunch of Friend Codes for Wii. These games I have Friend Codes for:

Guitar Hero World Tour (GHWT)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBB)
Guitar Hero 3 (GH3)
Pokemon Battle Revolution (PBR)
Rock Band 2, once I get it (RB2)

RAWR. I NEED SHTUFF FOR MAH SIGNATURE. RAWR.
Old November 29th, 2007 (12:40 PM).
Team Avion *****

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gilgameish
Because I love making games, they are like books(which I also write) that are interactive and the characters often have a real effect on the player. I know Final Fantasy 8 did for me. Of coarse, I am also a hopeless Pokemaniac. That Helps :D
Old December 1st, 2007 (07:10 PM).
Doin' the electric slide

I hack because for some reason, I've always had an endless train of ideas once i put my mind on something, especially when it comes to games. I still have sketches of custom Mario levels in the back of my closet from when I was 5.

MAH CLAIMS: Nidoking, Cloyster, Yanma

New hack comin' soon.... MUAHAHA!
Old December 3rd, 2007 (08:14 PM).
The REAL Pokémon Company

I would have to say that I (Mateo) Hack for a variety of reasons, some of which I do not fully understand. Partially it is because even though I am now a freshman in college, I have never fully grown up by a longshot. I still enjoy Pokémon, in fact I have a plush Pikachu hanging from the rear view mirror of my 4x4.(VERY Ironic, I know). Another reason is because regardless of what people think of them in the mainstream, they are very good games and it gives you a good outlet to bring up ideas we have liked since the days of Red and Blue when we first were introduced to it. It gives us a means to express our creativity and it gives us a way to do things that Nintendo never thought of.

I realize some of you have noticed I all but completely dissapeared from the community for some time, but I am coming back. One reason is hacking helps me with stress, any of the other problems you expect a college student to go through. It gives you an escape from the real world. Afterall, you have to be pretty lucky to be able to hold a moch pokemon battle on a sheet of notebook paper with your buddy during math class and make outbursts about Magikarp in comp class and people know what you are talkign about. (for the record, I have done both of those things)

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 4th, 2007 (11:15 AM).

I would say that I [try to] hack games to become more creative as well as experienced.

As I have just started out, I like the idea of learning as you go. You learn something new everyday, be it, how to create a specific code, how to insert tiles, or something as little as a pokemons offset in unLZ.GBA. :)

To sum it up, I like to think of someone, someday, playing a game that I've put time and effort into to show my best qualities and experience/knowledge.
Old December 9th, 2007 (02:39 AM).
Veteran Hacker

Nature: Bold
I'll tell you why I want to hack.

When Gold was released when I was only 12 years old, I was very impressed of adding a region to the Pokemon universe, where you could go from Johto to Kanto. To my curiousity, I called Nintendo to ask if you could go beyond Kanto and Johto, but I found out I couldn't. I remember my words "So... you're trapped in Johto and Kanto?" with the reply of "uh... yeah." Great service for $2.95 a minute huh?

To my disappointment, I wish someone could create a new region for people to explore, whcih would expand the Pokemon universe. I had a dream where you went to a Pokemon convention, you plug in your cart to somewhere, and it adds a new region and new Pokemon (they should and could totally do this with future Pokemon games, come on.) For fun, I made sketches of regions connecting to Johto and Kanto. (10 bordering them all.)

I later on discovered you could edit ROMS! What fun huh? The idea of a new region escaped my mind at the moment as I made lots of experiment hacks. While playing a hack one day (A short hack called Orange Islands, where the cities, routes, caves and forests were in a DIFFERENT ORDER THAN THE OFFICIAL POKEMON GAMES. It was glitchy and buggy with totally unfair battles, but its overall layout was something I never saw before.), I put two together and thought, "Why can't I make a brand new region in a Pokemon game?" I then saw the beauty of making my OWN region that other people could explore and have fun on, just like Nintendo did. Pokemon Brown's idea was based off that premise, to feature a new region, or "world"; a complete overhaul of the original game. After I released Brown I knew I could do better, thus Prism was born, and I am doing my best to make Naljo actually look and FEEL like a fresh, original, and "official" region from a new Pokemon game that Nintendo COULD release.

So I hack to not just make a hack, but to make a whole new game and adventure for others to enjoy.

Something you might not know:
Someone asked me to make an M rated Pokemon hack for their website, and I agreed. In about 2 months I completed it, of course it was poor with immature humor everywhere (I was 14!) and the best part of it were the map changes. I decided to work on a sequel of such hack, and my friends website vanished. That's when the idea of a new world clicked upon me. I worked on a new region, and later and I decided to drop the M label and make it look and feel like a new real Pokemon game as much as I could.

What did that hack turn into?

Pokemon Brown.

Brown:

Prism : - Four Gym Summer 2010 Beta available now!

Twitter
Old December 9th, 2007 (02:45 AM).
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier

Wow Coolboyman... I'm very touched by your speech. I envy you that your friends (were?) supporting your hack all the way.

Zel.., and everyone posted here, thanks for your time posting, and sharing your reasons. It really enlightened me. *cries*...

Old December 14th, 2007 (07:41 AM). Edited December 14th, 2007 by master pokemon.

I want to learn how to hack

Because I want to do the ideas in my head to improve the pokemon games in my way

Sponsored Links