The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old March 14th, 2008 (12:22 PM).
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Wrong. It's the motive. If you wanted to be really cheesy and have a villain from some lame 80's cartoon show (I'm thinking He-Man here) and if you didn't want anyone to take your fic seriously, then you can have the robe, scar, and evil laugh.

"Mine is an evil laugh!"

Heck, in all my nineteen years of reading and watching television, I can only think of one villain who wore a robe, had an evil laugh, and was sickly. But that wasn't what made him a villain. What made him a villain was his motive: he wanted to become a god, and he was willing to step on anyone who got in his way, including his twin brother.

It was the motive that made him evil. And it was the way that the writers set him up. They kept readers guessing if he was the evil member of the group, but he was actually one of the most loyal to his friends. It wasn't until he got the power that he turned evil.
  #27    
Old March 14th, 2008 (01:18 PM).
Vulpid's Avatar
Vulpid
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Gender:
I'd say the Evil Laugh, and the Sad, yet Evil Past.
__________________
- Faster Then The Wind -
  #28    
Old March 14th, 2008 (01:38 PM).
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
But the "Mine is an evil laugh" is lame, and something done in little kid cartoons to show that this person is evil and mean. Heck, I think in the show LazyTown the evil character laughed with a "mwahahaha!" laugh to show that he was evil. But I can't be sure, since I don't watch a lot of little kid shows anymore, and I only saw LazyTown once.

But as the audience changes, they begin to roll their eyes at the evil-laughing villains. At least I do. I want to see the villains that aren't clear-cut. You can't point at them when they are first introduced and go "See, they're evil!" It makes it more interesting to question whether or not the person is evil. Like in the example I gave. In the first two books of the series, no one could really guess if he was evil or not.

Besides, there are also the villains that are internal. The dark inner demons, if you will. And you don't see them with an evil laugh.
  #29    
Old March 14th, 2008 (06:23 PM).
Yamato-san
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 28
Gender:
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Yamato-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
But the "Mine is an evil laugh" is lame, and something done in little kid cartoons to show that this person is evil and mean. Heck, I think in the show LazyTown the evil character laughed with a "mwahahaha!" laugh to show that he was evil. But I can't be sure, since I don't watch a lot of little kid shows anymore, and I only saw LazyTown once.

But as the audience changes, they begin to roll their eyes at the evil-laughing villains. At least I do.
you shouldn't roll your eyes at them.... it really depends on whether or not the type of villain fits the story. Recently, I watched the DVD sets for both The Super Mario Bros. Super Show and The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3. Aside from the nice nostalgic trip, I was reminded what a nice antagonist King Koopa was (I speak of the cartoon's version.... though, the Bowser from the games could probably work in this context as well). I couldn't say he was all that great at being evil, because several of his plans were pretty out there, and he'd constantly mention how much he loves being nasty (which is about as far as one could possibly get to understanding "why" he's an antagonist). However, the show hardly seemed to take itself seriously, and for that reason, I think King Koopa really worked. He was a comic relief villain, fitting towards an often comedic cartoon.

I guess Dick Dastardly from Wacky Racers would be one of the more famous examples of what I'm getting at. And you can't honestly consider LazyTown (or practically any little kids' show) to be some sort of serious epic, can you? So why condemn him for being the "evil-laughing type" (especially when said evil-laughing is more than likely intended to seem exaggeratedly forced)? Now, if you've got a story that presents itself more seriously, then you can probably expect the villains to be more cold, cunning, badass, and/or deep. There may still be an occasional comic-relief villain, but if they serve their purpose of providing some laughs in the midst of a dark story, then you probably shouldn't roll your eyes at them neither (although, if said comic-relief types actually succeeded at something, like killing off a protagonist or taking over a nation, that should serve as a huge shock factor, albeit it gets harder to view them as comic relief once they've shown themselves to be perfectly competent and cold-blooded killers).
  #30    
Old March 14th, 2008 (06:32 PM). Edited March 14th, 2008 by Astinus.
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Because I was going along the lines of writing a serious fic. Sure, if the fic wasn't going to take itself seriously and go along the lines of being comedic, then the evil laughing villains would fit in wonderfully. But if the fic was written to be serious, then some eyes would be rolling on the part of some readers who expected a serious villain in a serious fic. It would be rather jarring to suddenly see some villain in a serious fic belt out a cheesy cliched laugh.

And I wasn't implying that LazyTown was some epic worthy of every bloody award out there. It was the only little kid show that I could think of that had an evil character who had an evil laugh. That's what I was implying and I was using examples that I could think of. It was to show that evil laughter is used to make it blatantly obvious that that character is evil. And perhaps some people don't like having everything handed to them on a silver platter and made obvious to them in the first five seconds? Perhaps some people enjoy guessing?

It's a matter of differing opinions. It's part of talking to other people. Some people might not think the same as you. It's just a fact of life? Now if you could kindly stop pointing out everything you disagree with in my posts, I'd appreciate that. Especially since I don't recall anything I ever did to offend you other than post on the forum.
  #31    
Old March 14th, 2008 (07:28 PM). Edited March 14th, 2008 by Isaac Gravity.
Isaac Gravity's Avatar
Isaac Gravity
Supports hot-bloodedness
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: A quiet place where I can stare at the clouds
Gender:
Nature: Mild
Send a message via AIM to Isaac Gravity
If I may...? About the laughter part... (EDIT: All posts centering around laughter)

Not all villains who laugh are made for comedic purposes or are lame. Sometimes it just molds how greedy/psychotic/deeply sure of themselves they are. Hell some of them have "final boss" written on them It's just how its done is done and the story in question itself.

I mean for those cool/collected types might be just that but when close (ridiculously close) to their achieving their goals their greedy side would sometimes appear. Laughing insanely/victorious as they can no longer contain their usual atmosphere since their long sought after prize is right in front of them. (Though I'm more of a fan for the smirkers in this kind of villainous arch-type. I do have a soft spot for those who go "Fu fu")

Then there's those villains that are just... crazy. They get a sick kick out of bringing others pain and just love twisting the arms of "avengers" out for them. Depending on overall representation you get various laughters, but usually you get more sickening laughter from them (ki ki) and many do it often and love it, they know it'll be a divination day in the final circle of hell before they're stopped.

And of course its all about their mentality. Those who are plain psychotic are enjoying killing too much to care if there's pain (on either end. Though depending on the writer and the theme their trying to carry, if finally beaten they may finally realize their position.) The more intelligent ones are definitely what I consider the more blood-boiling because they'll even recollect how they killed the person just to see you pissed/or want to remember for whatever sick enjoyment they see in it. All in all, these types can either be top ranks, villian of the week or sometimes the big boss depending on their aptitude. And there's nothing funny or cheesy about them... They know what makes you tick.

Then there's those boisterous laughter villains/enemies. As cheesy as they are (to most) these guys back their laugh. They can either be (or be driven) psychotic or deeply sure of their awesome power. Their might and the lives they hurt/destroyed/almost ruined if the protagonist and co. didn't come along (be it physical or in mental manipulation) shows they're no joke. They're only laughing at the ant their about to squash and their pitiful fate as they slowly but surely whittle down the confidence of those they face before crushing them with overwhelming force.

Their laughter along with position and personality vary. The most cheesy laughter you'd hear is the "Oh ho ho." from feminine/high-class female villain. Or "BWA HA HA!" from powerful generals/enemies pushed to blood-lusting insanity but it really fits.

And for 80's cartoons there's always Mum-Ra from ThunderCats. Sure he's an 80's villain but he sure as hell beats the crap out of most villains these days--Ah, right, well Mum-Ra is those cheesy laughing villains but Mum-Ra himself was nothing to take lightly. He always gave Lion-O and the rest of the ThunderCats a run for their lives and was always the closest to actually wiping them off until beaten. (Hell sometimes things got so bad a plot device had to come and save the day)

I only remember seeing Mum-Ra humorously twice but those eps--- Right! Well in any case, it's not just personal opinion but how they're represented too. Some guys represented as "final boss" from the get go serious story or not, the situation is there right? (Just enjoy the ride) Or that's what you think but they were just an agent for something greater and he/she's a total badass-- GAH! It's all just how it's done...
  #32    
Old March 14th, 2008 (11:32 PM).
Yamato-san
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 28
Gender:
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Yamato-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Because I was going along the lines of writing a serious fic. Sure, if the fic wasn't going to take itself seriously and go along the lines of being comedic, then the evil laughing villains would fit in wonderfully. But if the fic was written to be serious, then some eyes would be rolling on the part of some readers who expected a serious villain in a serious fic. It would be rather jarring to suddenly see some villain in a serious fic belt out a cheesy cliched laugh.

And I wasn't implying that LazyTown was some epic worthy of every bloody award out there. It was the only little kid show that I could think of that had an evil character who had an evil laugh. That's what I was implying and I was using examples that I could think of. It was to show that evil laughter is used to make it blatantly obvious that that character is evil. And perhaps some people don't like having everything handed to them on a silver platter and made obvious to them in the first five seconds? Perhaps some people enjoy guessing?

It's a matter of differing opinions. It's part of talking to other people. Some people might not think the same as you. It's just a fact of life? Now if you could kindly stop pointing out everything you disagree with in my posts, I'd appreciate that. Especially since I don't recall anything I ever did to offend you other than post on the forum.
OK, you need to chill the hell out. God, what kind of mod do you think you are jumping to rabid conclusions like you do?

First of all, how was I supposed to know you were writing a serious fanfic (or any fanfic for that matter)? Second of all, aside from pointing out that you shouldn't be judging comic relief villains for all the wrong reasons, at which point do I sound offended or disagreeing? Third of all, would "not handing stuff on a silver platter" even matter if you're talking about a non-serious show with a heavily episodic formula (such as LazyTown, and a lot of American cartoons for that matter)? It's not as if said show builds itself on drama and suspense.

Quote:
Now if you could kindly stop pointing out everything you disagree with in my posts, I'd appreciate that.
Are you familiar with the term "debate" at all? I saw your description of evil-laughing villains as being something worth rolling ones eyes at to be flawed logic. I present points to counter said logic. I fail to see what I did wrong. Also, I really don't wanna play the "mod abusing their power" card, but your way of italicizing "my" really makes you come off as a high-and-mighty, self-centered *****. You may have the power to ban people and close threads, but don't forget that you can be right or wrong as much as any other user.
  #33    
Old March 15th, 2008 (01:06 AM).
bobandbill's Avatar
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Coast - Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
IMO, there's not too much that restricts a character on whether they are a villian or now. A good villian needs, like any character, a good personality, that makes you love him (or her) or hate him, and probably a motive as well, I have to say. Otherwise they would probably be classified as 'arrogant ner-do-weller that likes to cause dispair for the heck of it', rather than a villian.

However, from there, it's all the author's twists on the character - how they shape him, what is their purpose, how they go about it, or just how much of a villian they really are. That would probably go for the evil laugh as well - they either have it, or they don't - it's not nesserary, but many a good villian has both had or haven't had a evil laugh.

Take, oh, say, Pokemon Colosseum - Nascour, and Miror B. Nascour is the dark, pure-evil type villian - gets what he wants without caring about the consequences, motive is to gain world domination (obviously...), and cares about it deeply, gaining top-ish status in Cipher.
Miror B, however... he's a villian of sorts (kidnaps a Pokemon to turn it Shadow, also wanted to capture a 'problem' of Cipher's), but really isn't that much of one inside - not as much as, say, music or dancing, and is an easy-going sort of character. Both have a motive, and a personality, were decent villians (in my opinion at least, and Miror B more than Nascour...), but are quite different from each other in other attributes, as well as personalities and motives as well.

And obviously, a villian HAS to do something 'evil', or 'villian-ness', either directly or not-so directly otherwise, they're not a villian, right?
__________________
Gym Leader Wattson wants to battle!
The cheerfully electrifying man!
Wahahahaha! Good things come to those who laugh!
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
  #34    
Old March 15th, 2008 (05:29 AM).
EmeraldSky's Avatar
EmeraldSky
Make the Colors in the Sky!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: At the arcade, playing DDR with Ash
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to EmeraldSky
A villian needs development just as the hero/ine does...such as why s/he wants to take over the world or kill the hero/ine. Just wanting to take over the world/kill the hero/ine just because isn't enough.
__________________
The world will be saved by four heroes with a song in their hearts....

Diamond FC: 1977 8991 5041 Will trade and battle

Like to RP? Come join us at http://rpforum.niceboard.net/forum.htm
  #35    
Old March 15th, 2008 (07:26 AM).
Scarlet Weather's Avatar
Scarlet Weather
The Game is Afoot!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a House
Nature: Lax
Here's something to satisfy all: in my fanfic, the main villain is planned to be a robe-wearing, scar-faced psycho who everyone thinks is a good guy but has an evil laugh and plans to destroy the world in order to feed starving children in Hungary on the remains of the dead while he laughs maniacally and possesses god-like powers and/or a Latin theme song. *MEGA-SHOT'ED*

Okay, so maybe not that. But seriously, a good villain does depend on the setting. If the show is supposed to be silly, you don't want a demon overlord as a villain. Seriously, if YGOTAS had Anubis acting serious and actually causing serious damage to the main cast it wouldn't be much of a parody. Well, maybe it would be if everyone else acted the same. I dunno. 0_o
__________________

x x x x

  #36    
Old March 15th, 2008 (08:23 AM).
Virtual Chatot's Avatar
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Denver, Co
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Send a message via AIM to Virtual Chatot
It's obviously a curly mustache and evil lair of course xD
__________________
My account is almost ten years old. o_o
  #37    
Old March 17th, 2008 (08:14 AM).
ze_gobou's Avatar
ze_gobou
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Gender:
Jax Malcolm -> I've watched French cartoons :'( Maybe English/American ones are better. And by the way, I mean children's cartoons, not serious things.
By "misunderstood villain", I mean, those who had a dark childhood, or whose ideas and projects were misunderstood, and who after some years have decided to revenge... like, for instance, crazy scientists...
The "crazy scientists" (don't know if it is the right phrase) are quite an archetype, but I was wondering whether it was possible or not to come up with a deep character with such a profile.
__________________
Sorry for my poor English and lack of vocabulary.
  #38    
Old March 17th, 2008 (11:16 AM).
JX Valentine's Avatar
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harassing Bill
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze_gobou View Post
Maybe English/American ones are better. And by the way, I mean children's cartoons, not serious things.
I wouldn't say they're better than French cartoons, but yeah, children's cartoons over here usually have the mindless villain who's just evil for the sake of being evil. XD There's no particular depth to them, and if there is, it's usually added as an afterthought. (So, uh, in that case, maybe it's French cartoons that are better than the American stuff. Or at least the American stuff that I watched as a kid.)
__________________
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
  #39    
Old March 18th, 2008 (10:35 PM).
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Would anyone mind if I asked for villain advice here? If yes, this can be removed. I won't mind too much >.<

Anyways, I'm having trouble deciding on motives for my villains. If you read (or are going to read) the Eon Chronicles (my fic), I must warn you that here there be massive spoilers. Seriously, hardcore-ly gigantinormous spoilers. Oh, and this will be long, so buckle your seatbelts.

Spoiler:
Alright. I have three sort of major villains in mind, and three very different motives. First up, we have Giratina (if you're reading my fic and decided to open this up anyways, I hope you're happy that you've blown the surprise for yourself). Giratina's easy, as he wants to basically merge his realm with the "normal" world, effectively tainting everything with evil. This in turn causes everyone in the normal world to live in fear. Giratina then literally harvests that fear to sustain himself and grow in power, allowing him to become stronger and create "Fears" (may change to something less obvious and cheesy), which are dark copies of the creatures he harvests fear from. All of this is done to take power from Arceus, who had attempted to seal him away forever in an indestructible crystal using his own body.

Now for some harder villains. The first one I will describe is the more difficult one to create a motive for. Enter Darkrai, who is in fact a man in the beginning. He is part of the Elite Four (who guard and advise the king in my fic, as it's medieval times). At first, the reader thinks he is good, although they are perturbed by the name. Darkrai helps Latios and Latias find the Eon Chronicles, which they need to unlock a power to counteract a growing evil. The ironic thing is, the Latis do not know who or what this evil is for almost the entirety of the book, until it turns out to be Darkrai himself. The reader learns that he has been tainted by Giratina (who is still sealed in the crystal at this point, but can speak to people's minds). The reader also learns that it was Darkrai who taught Latios from the Eon Chronicles (which has to be done before a Lati can hatch in my fic). Therefore, Latios is also inderectly tainted by Giratina, and therefore falls under Darkrai's control. This leads to Darkrai gaining access to the Soul Dew (the hidden power), which allows him to create a sword that can cut through literally anything (this includes air, spirit, and lots more insubstantial stuff as well as physical things). With this sword, Darkrai frees Giratina and sets the union of the dark and light worlds into motion. However, since he has used the Soul Dew for evil, it consumes him and he becomes the actual pokemon Darkrai. *Whew*

So with that out of the way, does anyone have suggestions as to why Darkrai does what he does? I was thinking of just having him be under Giratina's control, and make references as to how he is living a nightmare trapped inside his mind as his body is being controlled for evil. This nightmare would "spill" into other people's minds, which would be a nice reference to why Darkrai induces nightmares in the first place. Other than that, though, I'm drawing a blank. If you have any suggestions, PM me so that you don't have to wrap spoiler tags around everything.

Third villain (I told you this was long). He understands that the "hidden evil" is trying to obtain the soul dew by using Latios and Latias, and therefore is trying to kill them. He's the misguided hero, in a sense, as his motive is to save what and who he loves. However, what he doesn't know is that Darkrai would eventually get the soul dew on his own (the latis can sense it, which makes finding it a lot faster), and therefore if he kills Latios and Latias there will be no one to stop Giratina and Darkrai when they come to power.

...Now that I look at what I wrote, I'm finding that I actually do have a pretty good sense of what I want from my characters, lol. It helped to actually write it out, I guess. Anyways, if you have any suggestions, like to point out a gigantic cliche or to say that something won't work or to suggest a different direction, please PM me as I said before. Thanks for reading all of that, as I know it was long.
__________________

  #40    
Old March 23rd, 2008 (12:27 PM).
jb0000612's Avatar
jb0000612
Trainer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender:
Nature: Adamant
I just came up with an idea for the secondary villain. Two actually. One is that he's been a villain from the start, and does evil deeds because he believes his master is trying to do good,but when his treachery is revealed, he starts to revert to true darkness. Another is that he starts out good, but is manipulated into villainy by the main villain. I both, he ends up being a true villain.
__________________
JB IZ THE OVERLORD!

Here's the link to my PMD fanfic!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97759

...and its short story spin-off!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=107847
And...the sequel's beginning!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...38#post3435238




Name: Baby Charmander
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
  #41    
Old March 26th, 2008 (09:55 AM).
ze_gobou's Avatar
ze_gobou
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Gender:
Well, IMO the first idea will work better. Let me explain my point of view : if the secondary villain gets manipulated by the main one, the story will end up with two villains that are roughly the same type, one being the "clone" of the other.
As for the first idea, at the beginning the situation should be as I said previously, two versions of the same villain, and then, if the secondary villain gets into "true darkness" as you say, it will cause, first, the character to become deeper, and then, the story to be more enticing.

And if your story is long enough, you can make that character start out good, then he is manipulated, then he realizes he was manipulated and becomes truly evil. But well, that's maybe too much evolution for one single character.

That was my opinion. But well, it's your story, and you do what you want with it.
__________________
Sorry for my poor English and lack of vocabulary.
  #42    
Old March 30th, 2008 (01:20 PM).
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
revolution
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Ah. A bad past that ignited their current motives...maybe along the lines of being neglected as a child, left to be raised by wolves. Or some kind of possesed villain.

But...I use no villains in my fics. So I'd go with what's been said previously. xD
__________________

Play the game to change the game
  #43    
Old April 29th, 2008 (02:35 PM).
Gengarchomp's Avatar
Gengarchomp
n00bier than you
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: under a rock
Age: 22
Gender:
Nature: Relaxed
My idea of a realistic villan is a person who actually learns from mistakes, uses psychological torture as opposed to physical pain, crushes problems as soon as they arrive, and is not above screwing whomever over to further his own agenda.
__________________
I'ma gonna getcha!
There are six billion people on the planet, so if you're one-in-a-million, there are six-thousand people just like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy on Shoddy
Garchomp used Swords Dance!
Steelix used Explosion!
Steelix's attack missed!
The Sandstorm rages.
  #44    
Old April 29th, 2008 (10:46 PM).
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze_gobou View Post
Well, IMO the first idea will work better. Let me explain my point of view : if the secondary villain gets manipulated by the main one, the story will end up with two villains that are roughly the same type, one being the "clone" of the other.
As for the first idea, at the beginning the situation should be as I said previously, two versions of the same villain, and then, if the secondary villain gets into "true darkness" as you say, it will cause, first, the character to become deeper, and then, the story to be more enticing.

And if your story is long enough, you can make that character start out good, then he is manipulated, then he realizes he was manipulated and becomes truly evil. But well, that's maybe too much evolution for one single character.

That was my opinion. But well, it's your story, and you do what you want with it.
Massive blast from the past: I'm going to reply to this a month late (I think you were referring to my story).

Spoiler:
Here's the deal: the first villain has this kind of psychic hold on people. If they are around him enough, they become "tainted" and slowly slip under his control. He uses this to take over the second villain, who at first willingly helps the first villain in exchange for promised things that he is never actually given.

By the time villain B discovers that he's been had, he's already too far under villain A's control to escape. Villain A uses his psychic hold and the promise of death to control villain B from that point, and I have come up with some interesting elements concerning that.

Now: villain B won't be a clone of villain A, because his mind remains intact even though he is being controlled. Therefore, he has this kind of inside/outside personality, where he is working for villain A on the outside, but inside he is resisting him with all his strength.

So this is pretty much the direction I'm going to go, and I'd like to thank you two that responded for the help.
__________________

  #45    
Old April 30th, 2008 (04:22 AM).
icomeanon6's Avatar
icomeanon6
It's "I Come Anon"
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Age: 21
Gender: Male
I'd say that the most important trait for any antagonist/villain is ambiguousness. Take for example Anakin from the last Star Wars movie. Going into the movie, everyone knew that (SPOILER!!) Anakin was going to become Darth Vader. However, what people didn't know was when they should stop "rooting" for him and recognize him as the antagonist of the story. When you leave the complex morality of a character's actions up to the reader's interpretation, your story will be much more engaging and complex.
__________________

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7 chapters, ongoing

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place), Back in the Day (SWC 2014 1st place) (New!)


Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
  #46    
Old May 25th, 2008 (04:44 PM).
iLike2EatPiez's Avatar
iLike2EatPiez
i want the puppy
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
Plenty of things can make good villains. Just depends on what you're looking for and how it fits the story. For example, if you're writing a very realistic, serious fic, you wouldn't want to put in a villain that just acts evil for the heck of it, and doesn't do much more than bully the protagonist.

A good thing to keep in mind though is to keep your villains both interesting and believable. What they're doing needs to make sense, and it should always be logical. And, any unique twist you can give a villain (as long as it makes sense) can make the story a lot more fun to read.

Try recalling some antagonists from books you've read, as a lot of good literature includes plenty of unique and twisted villains. There's really no limitation with what you can do to an antagonist, or with any character for that matter.

Oh yeah, and good luck!
__________________
  #47    
Old May 25th, 2008 (04:50 PM).
Dr.Ray Quaza's Avatar
Dr.Ray Quaza
Dragon specialist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: atop sky pillar but don't come to visit because rayquaza will eat you
Gender:
some kind of strange thing about you

examples:
a scar on your face
an eyepatch
anything else in james bond
a cool cape
weird voice
being a nazi(no offense to the nazis)
being tall(no offense to the tall people it's just that i think a cool villian is tall)
  #48    
Old May 25th, 2008 (05:42 PM).
JX Valentine's Avatar
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harassing Bill
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ray Quaza View Post
a scar on your face
It's perfectly possible for a good guy to have a scar on their faces, actually. This usually indicates an antihero or someone who might've been through a fairly nasty accident. For example, Kano in Kagerou is technically the hero of the story (actually, literally is the hero of the story), but he bears a cut on the side of his face. (Long story involving that too.)

Quote:
an eyepatch
Disfigurement =/= villain in general. It's also possible for a hero to have an eye patch, as this, again, hints at the background of the character, rather than whether or not they're good or evil.

For example, Xander at the tail end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer sported an eye patch. (He continues to sport this eye patch through the comic book series, and yes, he's one of the good guys. In fact, he's one of the titular hero's best friends.)

Quote:
anything else in james bond
For cliches, yes.

Quote:
a cool cape
Cape =/= villain. In fact, if western comic books have taught us anything, it's that cape = hero. (Superman, Batman, Robin, et cetera, anyone?)

Not to mention a number of protagonists and heroes in the Pokemon franchise tend to wear capes. Lance, for example. Wallace and Eusine for two others.

Quote:
weird voice
Define "weird."

And even then, having a weird voice doesn't mean anything except you have an unusual voice. It's not like Pokemon characters aren't strangers to the concept of the over-the-top kind of voice. *motions to her avatar*

Quote:
being a nazi(no offense to the nazis)
Uh, given the fact that the Nazi party has come to be a symbolism of extreme prejudice and, you know, genocide, I would say that there's no real need to add "no offense" here. I think even the Germans agree about this one.

Quote:
being tall(no offense to the tall people it's just that i think a cool villian is tall)
...Uh, que? Being tall =/= good villain. It just means you're tall. There's been plenty of tall heroes throughout media. For one, Sailor Jupiter.


In general, no, superficial traits do not make a good villain. It's the way the character acts that defines whether or not he or she is (believably) evil.
__________________
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
  #49    
Old May 25th, 2008 (05:45 PM).
Dr.Ray Quaza's Avatar
Dr.Ray Quaza
Dragon specialist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: atop sky pillar but don't come to visit because rayquaza will eat you
Gender:
it looks like that post took alot of time

teehee
  #50    
Old May 25th, 2008 (07:04 PM).
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
How long did it take you to post that? Wonderful job of spamming, by the way. I applaud your efforts. *starts slow clap*

By the way, I'm tall, so I guess I'm just inherently evil and scary. Plus the fact that I have scars... Holy simoly, I should be arrested right now and taken down by some dashingly perfect character that's beauty will captivate all, and can use all the weapons in the universe, and has magical sparkling hair and teeth. And can paint with all the colors of the wind.

I seriously wish that people would get away from the over-the-top clichés for villains and use a better way to write them, like for instance, following the examples on this list. Or is someone else going to jump onto me for forcing my opinions on them and "oppressing" them?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.