Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 29th, 2010 (04:36 PM).
インフェルノの津波
Seriously?
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Thanks guys for helping me spot out bad RPERS, so I'll return the favor.

- Some people, when fighting, say "Erik fought the Pidgey, won and moved on" That sort of defeats the purpose of battling, and ruins the moment....and sort of lazy, like that person didn't want to type in the fight.

- Another thing is when RPERS bunny other RPERS, and make a romance with them. It's distasteful and just plain wrong.

I'll post more when I see more bad RPERS.
Old March 29th, 2010 (09:37 PM).
Rabbit
where is my mind?

Send a message via AIM to Rabbit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rabbit
Quote originally posted by インフェルノの津波:
I'll post more when I see more bad RPERS.
You don't have to look far. -twitch-

One of my biggest pet peeves is unrealistic character basics. Like bizarre names that don't correspond with any Earth culture. What, did your character come through a portal to Middle Earth? Or purple hair. No explanation. Is it dyed? Or does your character just defy genetics? I know this is Pokemon, thus not pure reality, but let's try to keep the fantasy to a minimum before things get out of hand and I decide to give my character a dragon steed.

Another big one that keeps coming up...BASIC GRAMMAR. Come on, people. There are guides all over the freaking place. And all of them tell you to use good grammar. Is it that difficult for you? Did you struggle in grade 5 and fail to catch up? It's just showing courtesy to other roleplayers. Run-on sentences, poor spelling, and misuse of quotes make me seriously consider murdering your character.

Why don't GMs set standards? Why hasn't painfully poor grammar been OUTLAWED?

-end rant-

This thread is very good for blowing off steam.

dreaming again
of a train track ending at the edge of the sea
Old March 30th, 2010 (08:07 AM).
Zeph.
Casual Player, Silly Username

Nature: Lax
I think grammar has been left up to the GM. Some are okay with it, however others warn the RPer in hand to improve on spelling and full stops etc.

But yeah, grammar shouldn't be too hard. It's the kind of thing you learn when you're 9 or 10 years old.

/ω´ 3`)。
Old March 30th, 2010 (12:15 PM).
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Quote originally posted by Rabbit:
You don't have to look far. -twitch-
ROFL my sentiments in six words and a contraction.

As for unrealistic character traits and names, in Pokemon roleplays I don't mind as much. Harley had purple hair and dressed like a Cacturne. Like woah what. But in other kinds of roleplays, especially slice-of-life or school-based roleplays, it peeves me too.
Old March 30th, 2010 (11:40 PM). Edited March 31st, 2010 by Rabbit.
Rabbit
where is my mind?

Send a message via AIM to Rabbit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rabbit
Here's another one:

When a roleplayer chooses to ignore the other characters. Especially when the roleplay's plot is group-based and you're supposed to, like, I dunno, cooperate with each other? But no, you decide to give your character all of the action, cramming your post full of epic feats and adventures without any regard for what anyone else is doing. Or can't do, now that you've done it for them.

dreaming again
of a train track ending at the edge of the sea
Old April 24th, 2010 (12:28 PM).
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

Quote originally posted by Rabbit:

One of my biggest pet peeves is unrealistic character basics. Like bizarre names that don't correspond with any Earth culture. What, did your character come through a portal to Middle Earth? Or purple hair. No explanation. Is it dyed? Or does your character just defy genetics? I know this is Pokemon, thus not pure reality, but let's try to keep the fantasy to a minimum before things get out of hand and I decide to give my character a dragon steed.

Even though it's been nearly a month since someones posted on this, I really don't mind the purple hair idea because it's pokemon. But yeah I'm not a big fan of when a, supposed to be regular, trainer has super powers
Old April 24th, 2010 (01:08 PM).
Neo Pikachu
Forever Gold

Nature: Brave
Well, here are two of my peeves that I've noticed on sign ups.

Child prodigy characters - Can't stand them and they're everywhere. So many times I've seen people make characters with backgrounds that they've always been ultra smart, and end up being extremely professional scientists, engineers, and the like and yet only be 13-15 years old. There's no way this would ever happen, and cases of child genius are extremely rare in real life.

Loads of shiny Pokemon - I mean come on, they're not supposed to be that common. Having one every now and then doesn't hurt, but I can't help but roll my eyes when I see people having three or four of them. Without a doubt, shiny Pokemon are probably the most overhyped thing about the entire fandom. Plus in my opinion, 9 times out of 10 the alternate coloring doesn't look good at all.

Old April 24th, 2010 (06:10 PM).
Macaroni
Beginning Trainer

An entire thread? Just to complain? YES.

Hello! I'm shy except not really. - Not shy characters in general. Those can be done very well. I mean when the sign-ups say they're shy, but they don't act that way at all in the roleplay. Most of the time it's put there as a sole 'fault', and is followed by something along the lines of 'but when you get to know him, he is super cool and awesome and will do anything for you!' Plus, shyness isn't really a fault. There's advantages and disadvantages to both introversion and extraversion.

There are no side effects to being neglected other than ANGST - I don't mind characters who were abused by their characters, or orphaned on the streets, or have a mental disorder, I really don't. Just make sure to prove it, rather than just having the characters go "B'AAAAW AS A CHILD MY DAD BEAT ME THEN KICKED ME OUT". If they're living on the streets and are malnourished, it's going to have an effect. If it goes on long enough, certain vitamin shortages can lead to effects such as stunted growth and being blind. Just do some research on what effects it'd have, it only takes a quick google search.

We're so dumb, slavery is okay to us! - Hello, one day you were walking around when a nice dominant species went by and caught you. You now get to participate in **** battles! For some reason, you have no problem with this.

But seriously, this has been something that's been bugging me for ages. No, I'm not saying that every pokemon has to secretly hate the trainer. If they've been raised from an egg, captured young, want a trainer to help then grow stronger, and a thousand other scenarios, they could actually appreciate being captured. However, not every pokemon will automatically accept the fact that they're being taken away from their families, their environment, and life as they know it, especially if they're a strong and experienced pokemon. Even one that refuses to follow the trainer's orders and battles in it's own way instead would be good. Just anything instead of 'MY TRAINER IS THE BEST EVER DESU.'

LOOK AT MY DAZZLING BLUE EYES - This doesn't bug me, but it's just slowly started to creep me out over the years. Most characters have electric/dazzling/sapphire/-insert prose here- blue eyes. Tons of characters are slightly chubby or muscular, but never completely obese or a complete meathead. I understand, it's fun to play some attractive, socially capable character. It's even more fun to play a character who has major flaws. I know this from experience. lD
Old April 24th, 2010 (06:22 PM).
Izanagi
Jesus Saves.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Izanagi
I'm a Legendary Trainer!
I hate it when people RP as characters who've competed and most likely won the Indigo Conference, the Silver Conference, the Ever Grande Conference, the Sinnoh Conference, the Orange Conference, the Battle Frontier, and on, and on. Characters who have conquered every challenge and are the epitome of awesome. Usually topped off with an uber team usually including Dragonite, Salamence, some Eeveelution, and a shiny or two.

~ I'm a Christian, saved by Jesus Christ ~
Behold,the original Pokemon: Choose Your Own Adventure Game!
Old April 25th, 2010 (02:39 AM).
Shen
Trainer

Nature: Sassy
No doubt has been mentioned many times before, but seriously, people being able to talk in fluent english to their Pokemon. It just takes my willing suspension of disbelief and throws it out the airlock. Yes Pokemon are incredibly intelligent beings, but they're still animals. They're not humans. Human-level intellect is a rare thing among Pokemon and only some species have it, such as Slowking, Lapras and some legendaries. It's rather unethical to capture and enslave those ones, considering they are most certainly sentient, but then you're saying that all Pokemon are? The first thing I think when I see a character like that is "wow, that character must be a real git. He/She KNOWS that they are sentient, yet they force them under their control anyway. Hating now." There is a lot wrong with the Pokemon world when you look at it from an objective angle already, no need to make it worse.
And that's not even touching on the blatant Sue-ism of it all.
But what really ticks me off about it is the fact that it defeats the whole purpose of a group roleplay. You're supposed to be interacting with other characters i.e other people i.e not yourself. Write a fanfiction for that.
"If you truly believe God created you, do me a favour. When you get out of the shower in the morning, look at yourself in the mirror. This is the man who created mountaintops and sunsets. What kind of off-day must have he been having!?" - Dara O'Briain
Old April 26th, 2010 (10:48 PM).
Velvex the Øverlørd
The Apparition

Well, I just read this thread for the first time, and I couldn't agree more with what the starting post stated. Especially that little bit about cliche RPers. We're almost all guilty of creating a cliche character, yet we resent cliche-ness (Adding "-ness" to the end of words FTW!) oh so much.

G/S/C Monotype Challenge: Ghost {The first Ghost type winner!}
Old April 27th, 2010 (10:37 AM).
Mika
もえじゃないも

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by Shen:
No doubt has been mentioned many times before, but seriously, people being able to talk in fluent english to their Pokemon. It just takes my willing suspension of disbelief and throws it out the airlock. Yes Pokemon are incredibly intelligent beings, but they're still animals. They're not humans. Human-level intellect is a rare thing among Pokemon and only some species have it, such as Slowking, Lapras and some legendaries. It's rather unethical to capture and enslave those ones, considering they are most certainly sentient, but then you're saying that all Pokemon are? The first thing I think when I see a character like that is "wow, that character must be a real git. He/She KNOWS that they are sentient, yet they force them under their control anyway. Hating now." There is a lot wrong with the Pokemon world when you look at it from an objective angle already, no need to make it worse.
To be honest, I really hate it when people put "Pokemon-ese" dialouge in their roleplay posts.

Example:

"We did it Pikachu~"

"Pika-pi-pikachu~"

.... << Yes those people I'd like to strangle. The way I've personally done it except when something like a telepathic link has been established [In the case of Pokemon Special with Yellow/Lance] is just emotions because that's easily read. I imply quite a bit and avoid inputting direct dialogue unless it's pretty much necessary to do so.

As far as keeping conversation going, the easiest way I've found around that is to have pokemon talk with eachother.

It's been done in the show since the Island of Giant Pokemon [Tho Technically the adorable scene between Pikachu and Caterpie could also be considered the first real example indepth pokemon-to-pokemon discussion] and it's feasible in roleplays as well. One of the ones I was in, the pokemon bonded more than the trainers in the actual roleplay did. :o
Old April 27th, 2010 (04:36 PM). Edited April 27th, 2010 by pokemongarnet.
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

do you mean other peoples pokemon with your pokemon or the pokemon in your team? not the most important question. I think that pokemon bonding can be good to have but it could take away from the actual story or add to it.

Quote originally posted by Macaroni:
An entire thread? Just to complain? YES.

Hello! I'm shy except not really. - Not shy characters in general. Those can be done very well. I mean when the sign-ups say they're shy, but they don't act that way at all in the roleplay. Most of the time it's put there as a sole 'fault', and is followed by something along the lines of 'but when you get to know him, he is super cool and awesome and will do anything for you!' Plus, shyness isn't really a fault. There's advantages and disadvantages to both introversion and extraversion.

There are no side effects to being neglected other than ANGST - I don't mind characters who were abused by their characters, or orphaned on the streets, or have a mental disorder, I really don't. Just make sure to prove it, rather than just having the characters go "B'AAAAW AS A CHILD MY DAD BEAT ME THEN KICKED ME OUT". If they're living on the streets and are malnourished, it's going to have an effect. If it goes on long enough, certain vitamin shortages can lead to effects such as stunted growth and being blind. Just do some research on what effects it'd have, it only takes a quick google search.

We're so dumb, slavery is okay to us! - Hello, one day you were walking around when a nice dominant species went by and caught you. You now get to participate in **** battles! For some reason, you have no problem with this.

But seriously, this has been something that's been bugging me for ages. No, I'm not saying that every pokemon has to secretly hate the trainer. If they've been raised from an egg, captured young, want a trainer to help then grow stronger, and a thousand other scenarios, they could actually appreciate being captured. However, not every pokemon will automatically accept the fact that they're being taken away from their families, their environment, and life as they know it, especially if they're a strong and experienced pokemon. Even one that refuses to follow the trainer's orders and battles in it's own way instead would be good. Just anything instead of 'MY TRAINER IS THE BEST EVER DESU.'

LOOK AT MY DAZZLING BLUE EYES - This doesn't bug me, but it's just slowly started to creep me out over the years. Most characters have electric/dazzling/sapphire/-insert prose here- blue eyes. Tons of characters are slightly chubby or muscular, but never completely obese or a complete meathead. I understand, it's fun to play some attractive, socially capable character. It's even more fun to play a character who has major flaws. I know this from experience. lD
Hey in Id Est Damnum Innocante, im playing a slighty muscular person but it fits their hobby. I think i might try to play a fat person.
Old April 27th, 2010 (04:47 PM).
Izanagi
Jesus Saves.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Izanagi
In defense of people who mostly RP by themselves, it's because some RPs have members who are extremely inactive and unreliable. Which is another bad habit that annoys me.

~ I'm a Christian, saved by Jesus Christ ~
Behold,the original Pokemon: Choose Your Own Adventure Game!
Old April 27th, 2010 (05:23 PM).
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

I hate when that^^^ happens, especially if it's early on in the RP
Old April 28th, 2010 (02:11 AM).
Macaroni
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by pokemongarnet:
do you mean other peoples pokemon with your pokemon or the pokemon in your team? not the most important question. I think that pokemon bonding can be good to have but it could take away from the actual story or add to it.

Hey in Id Est Damnum Innocante, im playing a slighty muscular person but it fits their hobby. I think i might try to play a fat person.
I don't mind it so much if it fits their hobby and lifestyle. Just when they're randomly muscular with no given excuse. Yours is good. C: PFF YES FAT PEOPLE YES we need more of those in the RP section.

Quote:
To be honest, I really hate it when people put "Pokemon-ese" dialouge in their roleplay posts.
I do agree with this, but only when it's pointless. There have been roleplays where the RPers have had to be by themselves for a while, and they need to find a way to meet the quota. Though I do agree that it's gets annoying if it seems pointless, or they're having a whole conversation in which they can understand the pokemon, rather than one where they're just understanding verbal cues or it seems one-sided.

So as long as it's not pointlessly long or

"Hey Smeargle, what's your favorite color to paint with?"

"Smearg!"

"Woah, red's my favorites too!"

"Smeargle gle mear!"

"I never knew you liked impressionism!"
Old April 28th, 2010 (06:40 AM).
Mika
もえじゃないも

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by Macaroni:
I do agree with this, but only when it's pointless. There have been roleplays where the RPers have had to be by themselves for a while, and they need to find a way to meet the quota. Though I do agree that it's gets annoying if it seems pointless, or they're having a whole conversation in which they can understand the pokemon, rather than one where they're just understanding verbal cues or it seems one-sided.

So as long as it's not pointlessly long or

"Hey Smeargle, what's your favorite color to paint with?"

"Smearg!"

"Woah, red's my favorites too!"

"Smeargle gle mear!"

That would be an example of what I'm talking about. By itself, that dialouge seems pointless, there's nothing explain why the trainer is able to understand the pokemon. If you look at Ash/Pikachu, Pikachu is descriptive in its flailing arm movements etc when it tries to explain something to Pikachu. I'd be fine with the above, if you added something to the ends of the lines, say something like this:

"Hey Smeargle, what's your favorite color to paint with?" He cast a glance at the paints in front of him before looking his pokemon in the eye.

"Smearg!" With a flick of his tail, he pointed directly at the red. It wasn't the red one might align with blood or even a tomato. It was a true juicy red color, an apple of sorts.

"Woah, red's my favorite too!" He smiled, returning to his artwork, the pokemon directly over his shoulder, gazing at his work with a critical eye.

"Smeargle gle mear!" Dipping his tail in the paint, the pokemon began to work on its own piece of work. The strokes were delicate, precise, and at the same time open and free.

It's a total crap shoot post I threw together in like 5 minutes but do you see the difference? One leaves wayyy too much up to the reader, the other somewhat reads like an anime scene. :o I still personally wouldn't use Pokemonese here but I wouldn't fault anyone who did.
Old April 29th, 2010 (03:29 PM).
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

Quote originally posted by Mika:
That would be an example of what I'm talking about. By itself, that dialouge seems pointless, there's nothing explain why the trainer is able to understand the pokemon. If you look at Ash/Pikachu, Pikachu is descriptive in its flailing arm movements etc when it tries to explain something to Pikachu. I'd be fine with the above, if you added something to the ends of the lines, say something like this:

"Hey Smeargle, what's your favorite color to paint with?" He cast a glance at the paints in front of him before looking his pokemon in the eye.

"Smearg!" With a flick of his tail, he pointed directly at the red. It wasn't the red one might align with blood or even a tomato. It was a true juicy red color, an apple of sorts.

"Woah, red's my favorite too!" He smiled, returning to his artwork, the pokemon directly over his shoulder, gazing at his work with a critical eye.

"Smeargle gle mear!" Dipping his tail in the paint, the pokemon began to work on its own piece of work. The strokes were delicate, precise, and at the same time open and free.

It's a total crap shoot post I threw together in like 5 minutes but do you see the difference? One leaves wayyy too much up to the reader, the other somewhat reads like an anime scene. :o I still personally wouldn't use Pokemonese here but I wouldn't fault anyone who did.
mmm, actually, Smeargle has juices flowing through it's body into it's tail which colors it, Smeargle is one of my favs, i should know. just kidding.

anyhowww, I dislike when people have such a generic character and a generic journey. interview. "so uh how'd you get that squirtle there?"
"Oh professor oak gave it to me."
" and that caterpie "
"naah, it's not interesting, i just caught it."
"Oh I see."
end interview
Old May 2nd, 2010 (11:15 AM).
Down with the darkness
Pretty freakin' awseome!

Location: 100 yards away, working on getting your head in my crosshairs.
Nature: Quirky
anyhowww, I dislike when people have such a generic character and a generic journey. interview. "so uh how'd you get that squirtle there?"
"Oh professor oak gave it to me."
" and that caterpie "
"naah, it's not interesting, i just caught it."
"Oh I see."
end interview
I hate it when a pokemon professor just randomly gives a trainer an exceptionally rare pokemon for no particular reason! Proffesor Birch isn't going to give every single new trainer one of his very rare pokemon! In the games, he gives you it so you can perform an errand, and when you return, he is impressed by the bond you formed so he lets you keep it. YOU NEED A REASON!

I hate the generic trainer who does the typical eight badges, then fights the pokemon league. NOT EVERY TRAINER IS OUT FOR GYM BADGES. The pokemon world is FULL of breeders and researchers, and people who are just in it for the fun of it!

I personally am okay with trainers talking to their pokemon in English, as long as it's not a 2 way street.

Rising
Shadows:

Will "Motherboard" Sydney

Hall of quotes:

Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by Vociferocity:
just keep it PG-17! no sexytimes in this rp, okay?

Old May 2nd, 2010 (11:26 AM).
Kon~
Follow your dream to the end ~

Nature: Hasty
I get so annoyed by Mary-Sue SUs.

I recently joined an RP, and two of the three SUs above mine had unusual scars or birthmarks, and tragic pasts within which their biological parents died etc. etc.

I at least try to keep mine feasible, like making someone look human and perhaps having some form of mild peril in the childhood for character building.

"Piercing blue" eyes or eyes that "can stare into your soul" are too overused and I can't bear them any more. ._.

"You want to look up at the sky and always see the stars." ~ Things You Remember
~~
~~
Old May 2nd, 2010 (04:32 PM).
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

Tragedy in the character's life prior to the RP can be good, to an extent however.
Old May 2nd, 2010 (07:26 PM).
I Laugh at your Misfortune!
Normal is a synonym for boring

Nature: Quirky
Tragedy in the character's life prior to the RP can be good, to an extent however.
Almost anything can be good to a certain extent. A lot of it comes down to how it's played out.
Old May 19th, 2010 (05:55 PM).
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
I'm probably going to be crucified for saying this but this is a bad habit I see in far too many regular RPers anyways. It's arrogance. Most decent RPers get so darn mad at the newbie who is trying to get into RPing that they foam at the mouth and essentially give them such a hard time that the RP becomes a CHORE.

Seriously, when it gets to the point where you're obsessing over minor details in your posts being too close to a 'bad RPer' mistake, I honestly think it's time to stop and take a break from it. RPing is about fun, you're not trying to write a cotton-picking group novel!

Now with that being said, I can understand the basic frustrations at god-modding and poor characters and very poor posts, those are actually legitimate concerns, but by no means should we stone the n00b to death for missing a few commas consistently or having poor spelling. (especially if they have poor English skills.)

All of the above reasons are the top reasons why I seldom participate in RP forums...people forget about the fun of RPing together and instead start bashing each other for making mistakes. As I said before, getting mad at the newb who makes others' characters do things they wouldn't usually do and fails at god-modding anyways, is quite understandable, but if it's the case of a well written post, why fight it unless they do it CONSTANTLY!?

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old June 3rd, 2010 (11:13 AM).
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Quote originally posted by Pachy:
I'm probably going to be crucified for saying this but this is a bad habit I see in far too many regular RPers anyways. It's arrogance. Most decent RPers get so darn mad at the newbie who is trying to get into RPing that they foam at the mouth and essentially give them such a hard time that the RP becomes a CHORE.

Seriously, when it gets to the point where you're obsessing over minor details in your posts being too close to a 'bad RPer' mistake, I honestly think it's time to stop and take a break from it. RPing is about fun, you're not trying to write a cotton-picking group novel!

Now with that being said, I can understand the basic frustrations at god-modding and poor characters and very poor posts, those are actually legitimate concerns, but by no means should we stone the n00b to death for missing a few commas consistently or having poor spelling. (especially if they have poor English skills.)

All of the above reasons are the top reasons why I seldom participate in RP forums...people forget about the fun of RPing together and instead start bashing each other for making mistakes. As I said before, getting mad at the newb who makes others' characters do things they wouldn't usually do and fails at god-modding anyways, is quite understandable, but if it's the case of a well written post, why fight it unless they do it CONSTANTLY!?
Hm, that's a really good point. oxo
Pachy 1 World 0

But at the same time, in my past experiences, when better roleplayers start nitpicking on posts, it's usually in roleplays that set the bar at a certain level in the first place, so honestly, those who got picked on were asking for it. xD; You don't join an adv. literate roleplay when you're semi-lit- you just don't do it unless you're ready to get torn apart. And if you join with the mindset that you'll improve by roleplaying with better people, you have to take their advice and make changes- because they usually know what they're doing.

Yet at the same time, a "well-written" post really depends on who's looking at it. Different people have different standards, and the element of roleplaying is about cooperating with each other- because an RP is a team effort. Which brings me to my pet peeve...

When people are so determined and stubborn to get their own way that they can't see the reasoning of the other side. Oh man and this is usually a two-way street! Being considerate of other people and their wishes is the only way to keep a roleplay alive! It's what keeps everyone from godmodding their butts off, and I hate it when people don't make compromises for each other- it's absolutely ridiculous.
Old June 8th, 2010 (01:05 PM).
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Pachy:

Thank you. I was just going to ask what about the new ones, or the ones who don't have English as their first language... or me, who's both.

I haven't dared trying an RP yet, because frankly I don't know how to do it. But that's my problem.

Nao, go on with your criticism of each other, and remember to be nice to RP noobs :3
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links