The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge

Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Shanghai Alice
Exiled to Siberia

Nature: Rash
I just wanted to point out that yes, a perky and happy character COULD have watched their parents being brutally murdered in front of them at the age of six.

Example: Li Kohran, a perky inventor who was the only survivor of a bandit raid that ended up burning and murdering everyone and everything she held dear.

Beside, playing a perky psycho is fun.
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
ArcanineOod
DESU.

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ArcanineOod
I think that you could play a perky character that had their parents murdered. A poor example, I know, but in the Star Trek: TOS episode 'And The Children Shall Lead', there was a group of six or seven children who had recently lost their parents and they were just the same as ever. Though in this instance it was because they had been influenced to believe that it had been a good thing their parents had died because they didn't understand, and were holding them back, or something like that, it was because they didn't understand what had happened. When they later were made to understand, because that was the only way to defeat an alien threat that was using the children to take over the Enterprise and soon the galaxy, they were crying and everything.
I think it's plausible that a character with a tragic past, especially if it happened when they were very young, could simply block it out of their memory so they wouldn't ever consider it.

However, they wouldn't be able to talk about it and stuff, I don't think. I'm no psycologist/psychiatrist, so I wouldn't know the details. This is just what I've heard, and could be totally wrong. You have to be realistic in their peppiness. Most likely it would either have scared them so much that they can't bear to think about and have to be happy, or they're so depressed that they pretend to be happy while inside their heart is completely bare. I really don't know. I tend to avoid characters with tragic pasts like that. Too depressing for me.
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Roxasabridged
Lucariowner

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roxasabridged
More stuff to complain about. Yay!

Establishing a history with another character - Basically, having your character be an old friend/love interest/rival/whatever to someone else. For the most part, I don't mind this. But please make sure you don't contradict the the other guy's character/history.

Copy Paste/character - Using the same character in every roleplay. Not that it's a terrible thing, but if you happen to be in the same roleplays as the person, it gets boring seeing the exact same character in every RP, with the exception of a surname or hobby.

Adding random subplots - This is probably what's killing my KH RP over at AL right now. Small recap:
Main plot: Defeat Cloud of Darkness, restore balance, rebuild Kingdom Hearts.
Sub plots: Dark Generals, guy trying to restore KH and recieve Cloud's power, new race called Devoid, Super strong Devoid called Hollow Lords become Fal'Cie, Shinryu plotting from between universes... Yeah.

So basically, don't choke an RP to death with extra story/filler where it's not needed.
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM
ChandaThePanda
Epic Rival

Honestly, the worst thing you can do is add a personality section to the sign-up sheet. Personality is something that shouldn't be put down on paper; it can only be expressed through roleplaying. Hell, if you have to put it all down on paper first, you've basically made your character predictable and mundane. Not having a personality section adds a degree of spontaneity and flexibility to the character.

A character's personality is to be interpreted by the reader based on that character's actions and dialogue. Not by a paragraph(s) in a profile. Does a good book EVER give profiles of the main characters beforehand? Hell no! And for good reason too.

/soapbox

I AM SO ****ING AWESOME THAT IT'S OBJECTIONABLE!
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Rabbit
where is my mind?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Rabbit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandaThePanda View Post
Honestly, the worst thing you can do is add a personality section to the sign-up sheet. Personality is something that shouldn't be put down on paper; it can only be expressed through roleplaying. Hell, if you have to put it all down on paper first, you've basically made your character predictable and mundane. Not having a personality section adds a degree of spontaneity and flexibility to the character.

A character's personality is to be interpreted by the reader based on that character's actions and dialogue. Not by a paragraph(s) in a profile. Does a good book EVER give profiles of the main characters beforehand? Hell no! And for good reason too.

/soapbox
Most books don't give a character's history in one neat paragraph, either. Or their appearance. The reader picks it up as they go along. But roleplaying is quite different from writing a novel. When you write a sign-up sheet, your reader is the GM. The GM doesn't want to interpret that Timmy is a psychopath from the way he's stabbed his fellow teammate. They want to know what to expect from the get-go. And they want to see that you have the skills necessary to write a personality blurb, since that does reflect on your rping skills in general.

I've never felt that describing my character's personality makes them mundane or predictable. Much of the way they act depends on the situation, and that can't be predicted from the start.

dreaming again
of a train track ending at the edge of the sea
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:19 PM
ChandaThePanda
Epic Rival

Why should the GM need to interpret someone's personality? The only reason to reject someone's personality is if it's incomplete or poorly written. So what if Timmy's an inconsiderate prick who enjoys clubbing seals and scaring babies? You can't reject him because of that; that's just the way he is, and if you as the GM can't tolerate characters outside of your comfort zone then you shouldn't have asked for community input, right? You're better off writing fanfiction where you can control everything.

And so the only thing that really determines whether or not a personality is "acceptable" is the quality of those paragraphs. So if all it really adds up to is a a few (or several, depending on how stuck-up your GM is) grammatically correct paragraphs that mean NOTHING, then why not simply remove them altogether and replace it with something that would better show off their ability to write well, such as a sample post? That's what they're for, right?

I AM SO ****ING AWESOME THAT IT'S OBJECTIONABLE!

Last edited by ChandaThePanda; June 20th, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM
Adventure
all of time & space

Nature: Naive
New as I am to this RP thing, I've noticed one thing which stands out and is annoying to hell.

When the GM asks for active players, saying they should not sign up if they don't plan on posting every day or every week... and then the GM disappears himself, and cannot be reached for days and weeks.

Now, sometimes it can't be helped, of course. Things can happen. But this happens so often. I think at least the GM should have to tell the participants beforehand that he'll be gone for a while, even if he doesn't know for how long.

If one player disappears like this, it can many times be helped by putting in a new player instead. But if the GM disappears, naturally, the game is lost.

RPC ¤ PGen
¤ pair ¤

Old November 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Tomackze
Drowzee

One of the questions I always have when it comes to pokemon RP specifically is... Are you trying to emphasize the trainer or his journey/pokemon? I have a hard time balancing the two because I sometimes don't feel the trainer's own background story should be developed as much as the journey he is going through and what he is experiencing in the journey.

And I feel mangas have a problem with this too at times, they forget about the past of the trainer and the characteristics of the trainer and instead just focus on the journey the trainer is taking right now and how it makes him/her feel right now. But it is so much more than that
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:08 AM
Adventure
all of time & space

Eh, very old thread. 2 months... but I should be allowed to post, because it's a sticky 8D rrrright?

I've noticed something I'm a bit tired of. People modeling their characters after themselves, giving them traits they wished they were having themselves. Of course it could be fun to play as "yourself" or the person you'd want to be, sometime. Especially when you're new and don't really know how to make up a new, solid character in your mind or in a SU.

But after a while of RPing... I think you should try to create a totally different kind of character as fast as you can. Just to try it out and improve your skills. Imagination.

RPC ¤ PGen
¤ pair ¤

Old February 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
~Wind~
Mostly inactive.

Nature: Calm
I seemed to notice the sheer amount of RPs with almost non-existant plot coming in.
I mean, that can be good, but what annoys me is the feebleness of them.
I also get annoyed by people doing one-liners that make up no real relevance. I don't mind when it has a purpose, like two character conversing, but stuff like: tamara woke up and walked outside when someone walked up to her.
end.

I also noticed, however, that RPs that have plots, especially complicated ones, keep dying. Examples: Monochromatic stains, The academy of myth and light's shadow, steampunk'd, Knight Kitachi, Altered Eastern Wonderland - Tea Party. Some of these were extremely good, but no one wanted anything to do with them, why?
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Adventure
all of time & space

Actually, I feel like it isn't necessary to keep this thread open any longer. Most things have been covered twice or thrice and this will now be archived as an educational and interesting thing to read.

If we still have some ranting or irking things to write about, why not take it in the Roleplay Discussion thread instead? As long as the tone is kept nice :)

- LOCKED -

RPC ¤ PGen
¤ pair ¤

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links