Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre > Roleplay Casting
Reload this Page Bad habits of RPrs.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Casting Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old April 19th, 2006 (05:20 PM).
Throw your fangs up!

Nature: Relaxed
My views on whiny loner and duck pond RPing:

Personally, I prefer having my character off alone with occasional contact to the others. That way, you don't have to wait on other people to post. Whining about it, however, is just immature. If you made it that way, that's your fault. Don't let your anger out on everyone else because of what YOU, and you alone, did.

Now, I don't duck pond because of my reason stated above. That's just plain dumb. Duck ponding would be a good reason for someone to become a loner, because they really are being rejected by the others. If the entire RP is a team thing and a few people go off on their own and neglect everyone, then that RP will never work out.

That's pretty much it. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Username: LazyLosLobos

Quote originally posted by Jack O'Neill:
What did I say about fighting in the armory?
~It's Complicated~
Old April 19th, 2006 (06:07 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Quote originally posted by Kurosaki:
Jack, was that just out of boredom, or what? XD

Relationships: Probably been brought up before, but I hate it when two RPers focus everything around the relationship of only their two characters. RPs are supposed to involve everyone, and I've seen RPers kill good RPs like this...
Amen. Especially when they post a billion million times and all that stuff, and it's all consecutive, Member A, Member B, Member A, Member B, etc etc. It butts everyone else out, and you're just like, wtf?

Too many events?: Wow, I've had to deal with this before. The weepy 'give-me-your-pity' character butts in on you and makes a whole bunch of issues. His/her past, his/her problems, and they seem to expect you to sort them out, all the while making it QUITE PLAIN that they wish for a relationship between your character and theirs.

My views on Duck pond. Well, I've definetly been in that position. In fact, I'm in it in one of my RP's right now, in a different forum, but what pisses me off is that, sometimes I butt in, sometimes I don't, and these dudes have set up an impenetrable wall, and it focuses on THEM AND THEM ONLY. So, I have abandoned it. Unfortunate, because it's ridiculous in the first place! Why put up a public RP just to let the other RPer's wander around by themselves for the entire thing? >=(
Old April 22nd, 2006 (06:33 AM).
Throw your fangs up!

Calling battles is hard, too. If it's between two people, one of them is almost certain to call it down the middle if it looks like they'll lose. This is bound to get the winning person mad. I think if anyone in the RP is "near" the battle, they should judge. In an RP, anger leads to sabotage. Then there's a ton of arguing, spam, etc.
If you're battling a sub-character you can control, then make that fair too. If they're stronger, they're stronger. It would be better to go down fighting then to pull of an impossible win.

~It's Complicated~
Old April 22nd, 2006 (01:35 PM).
Banned

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Flonne:
Jack, was that just out of boredom, or what? XD

Relationships: Probably been brought up before, but I hate it when two RPers focus everything around the relationship of only their two characters. RPs are supposed to involve everyone, and I've seen RPers kill good RPs like this...
No, I did not that out of boredom. XP

The inverse of whiny loners: a pair of RPers who can't be separated even if you stick a block of C4 in between them and detonate it. Bell's right in that you can't really get a word in edgewise. Kinda like a miniature duck pond in my opinion.
Old April 22nd, 2006 (04:27 PM).
'The Underdog Trainer'

This entire topic could be compared to real life, it seems...o0

And I think you've all covered just about all of the 'Bad Habits.' I haven't Role-Played much, but I've been lucky enough to be able to avoid almost all of the mentioned bad habits except for one: The infamous Powerplaying! It seems like those who are new to RPing are the worst when it comes to this (not to throw all of the new RPrs into one big group or anything). Controlling other people's characters probably comes from not knowing that it's a BIG no-no. I know I'm guilty of controlling other characters on accident every once in a while, especially when I was new to it. It would probably help if everyone read, understood, and lived the rules, huh.

Moral: READ THE RULES! =D

Version: Diamond

Wanted
Slowpoke, Magnemite
Offering
Spiritomb, Feebas, Murkrow, Cranidos, Stunky, etc.
Old April 22nd, 2006 (06:10 PM).
Throw your fangs up!

Powerplaying is always bad, but when they control YOUR character...*shudders* There's a reason that person is yours. You might have a whole chain of events set out, only to have them messed up by someone who takes control of your character.

Most of the stuff here is pure evil in an RP. These are the RP sins, I guess.

~It's Complicated~
Old October 18th, 2006 (06:15 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

Cat and Mouse: WARG. I could just...BITETHESEPEOPLE'SHEADSOFF. >.< Seriously, have you ever roleplayed in something, where it's just like, your this far away from them, and everything just goes WRONG because they can read your post and every single move your character does?

*cough* Anyway, on a more professional note, Cat and Mouse is where the person seems to take on a birds-eye view and seems to avoid everything. This is closely related to 'the super character' AKA, the mary-sue, in which the character is nearly untouchable unless you post everything in one go, and even then, manages to dodge an unlikely number of thought-out attacks, verbal assaults, or the such.

Example:
"Mary moves to the right to get a better aim.

Gary moves to the left because he felt like something bad was going to happen if he stayed where he was.

Mary moves to the left, frustrated.

Gary feels weird on the left too, so he moves to the right, just in case."

Not that exaggerated, but where you simply, chase the character because the RPer themself is like, "Oh, well, I can read your post, so I'm just going to avoid you, because I don't want my character to become the invalid, and I especially don't want to make a fool of my character by getting trapped, hit, losing, or knocked out.

Bunnying: I don't know, this has been really really really bothering me lately. Bunnying is almost worse then all-out powerplaying, because it just happen's so frequently. It's hard to do anything without bunnying, but it's possible, so why not just cut out the bunnying? There's just so much that you can kill with a simple little bunnying act, and sometime's, you end up having to change it anyway.

Short Posts: It's not hard to post four line's. We've all done it before, we're all capable of it, if you can't type four lines for each RP, don't bite off more then you can chew, cause you'll pay for it later. Also, what's the point? If you can say what you have to say in a post that replies to more then just one person, you can take care of so many more other problem's, like the duck-pond RPing, and the repitition of member A, member B, member A, member B, etc.

Just had to rant. And, I'm gonna sticky this thing. This has way too many good things in it for it NOT to be stickied. I'm gonna flaunt this in my sig the day I find room for it- in BIG red text. =_=;;
Old October 18th, 2006 (08:12 PM).
xX~Lord of the Storm~Xx

Nature: Lax
Send a message via AIM to YoshiRiRu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to YoshiRiRu
Call me crazy, but I haven't read this until right now. I definetely have a few gripes - Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I give you...

The Ever Present Bad-Ass.

This character pisses me off to the max - unless it's played well. My first RP here entailed being dropped smack into a "Ruined World" of Kanto; basically, like FF6's World of Ruin.

Now, the EPB-A winds up in this shattered reality, and is cool as ice. There's a difference between not panicking, and not caring at all. No fear whatsoever - just utter faith in themselves. Which at 15, most young people don't possess. (I don't, anyway; and I turned 15 on Monday.[Yes, that WAS a shameless plug of my birthday, thank you.]) Which brings me to my next point.

I TOTALLY HART MY POKEMANS AND THEY NEVER HERT ME LOL CUZ I ROX!!1

Everyone does this, and it's totally normal, but for some reason, the fact that mostly everyone has a fine and dandy relationship with their pokemon, and every single one is completely under their control. I've yet to really encounter an RP where someone truly loses control of one of their pokemon, and they can always trust them COMPLETELY. This has, mind you, only begin to gripe at me recently.

The Elite Pokemon Team.

I find that many a mediocre rper has in their team one of the following, some may be combined.
  • A starter pokemon, or other outrageously powerful pokemon that was their first pokemon, and never has any faults. Always loyal and forgiving.
  • A very young, cute, charming, baby Pokemon. Pichu, Cleffa, etc. These kinds of Pokemon are always the sunshine of every pokemon team, no matter what. (guiltyguiltyguiltyguilty)
  • A FRICKIN' EEVEE-LUTION! Argh, this pisses me off so bad. Eevee-lutions are so old, they're almost spoiling. I can't stand to see another one, I'm sorry

I, for one, try to use sort of "unique" pokemon in my RPs, like Girafarig, or Spoink, or Lanturn. People who use the same teams ooover and oover again annoy me.

I'm sure there are more things, but those are the ones that came to mind right now.

Mizuki | Niwa | YoshiRiRu | Marz
Francine?
Yes Robert?
Where are we?
I don't know. Are you pumped?
Are you kidding? I'm always pumped.
Claims: Girafarig
Paired with: Psycho girl Natsumi-Chan
Little Sister: Mizuki
Old October 19th, 2006 (04:57 AM).
AGUryuka/LOPvalkus/GUILxeros

Quote originally posted by YoshiRiRu:
[*]A FRICKIN' EEVEE-LUTION! Argh, this pisses me off so bad. Eevee-lutions are so old, they're almost spoiling. I can't stand to see another one, I'm sorry.
o.O; I don't care how spoiled or old my Umbreon is: I still love it. Plus, there are 2 more in gen4. Old AND new at the same time. o-o' But that means I have to add those to my figure collection! Ack! <I have all 5 Eevee-lutions and Eevee sitting on my desk in my room. I'm a dork like that.>

Anyways, this is just simple stuff that bugs me. Misspelling words and incorrect use of grammer. I mean, if you know you're not the brightest lightbulb in the shed, copy+paste your post into Word, spellcheck, then copy+paste AGAIN. That just really bugs me. And I don't know why... And not just misspelling a few words, or maybe a few typos. But I mean typing something like~

Quote:
Well, I'm not going to point out anyone in particular, but you all know what I mean. People who didn't pay attention in Language.
One more thing~1748 People joining an RP! It's insane!! And I guess some RP masters just don't have the heart to say, "Well, sorry, we're full," or ,"Sorry, we have others wanting to join so we can't accept someone with a bad sign-up." I know there ARE people willing to give the big rejection to someone, but I have seen quite a few RPs with a ton more people than it should have.
Old October 19th, 2006 (06:13 AM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

The Ever Present Bad-Ass.

This character pisses me off to the max - unless it's played well. My first RP here entailed being dropped smack into a "Ruined World" of Kanto; basically, like FF6's World of Ruin.

Now, the EPB-A winds up in this shattered reality, and is cool as ice. There's a difference between not panicking, and not caring at all. No fear whatsoever - just utter faith in themselves. Which at 15, most young people don't possess. (I don't, anyway; and I turned 15 on Monday.[Yes, that WAS a shameless plug of my birthday, thank you.]) Which brings me to my next point.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Sorry, that called for chatspeak. I remember that RP: I R guilty guilty guilty. Then again, after awhile I started to dislike my RP, so I got lazy. *apologize for type's, I don't have my glasses on, so I'm kind of hoping everything isn't covered in absolute errors*

As for the pokemon thing, I was guilty of the eevee-evolution's waaaay back when, but I'm otherwise not exactly guilty of this...often. I hate having starter pokemon on my team, even though sometime's it's nesseccary. They're just so bland to me. I remember I used to have an obsession with fighting pokemon and had an entire team of fighting pokemon- not a single ray of sunshine here! (Remember Karen? Yeah.)

Faker: Someone who think's they're "TEH 00BAH MASTAH AT RPing", when they're the one's who break all the rule's because they're not that great at RPing. These guy's reaaaally bother me, but it's nice for a laugh. xD
Old October 19th, 2006 (07:11 PM).
xX~Lord of the Storm~Xx

Send a message via AIM to YoshiRiRu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to YoshiRiRu
Quote originally posted by Bijou:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Sorry, that called for chatspeak. I remember that RP: I R guilty guilty guilty. Then again, after awhile I started to dislike my RP, so I got lazy. *apologize for type's, I don't have my glasses on, so I'm kind of hoping everything isn't covered in absolute errors*

As for the pokemon thing, I was guilty of the eevee-evolution's waaaay back when, but I'm otherwise not exactly guilty of this...often. I hate having starter pokemon on my team, even though sometime's it's nesseccary. They're just so bland to me. I remember I used to have an obsession with fighting pokemon and had an entire team of fighting pokemon- not a single ray of sunshine here! (Remember Karen? Yeah.)

Faker: Someone who think's they're "TEH 00BAH MASTAH AT RPing", when they're the one's who break all the rule's because they're not that great at RPing. These guy's reaaaally bother me, but it's nice for a laugh. xD
Oh yeah, Karen.. that RP rocked my socks off. XD

Fakers piss me off from time to time, however, they don't seem to show up that much for me. I love to fight fakers, too. They always find some cheap way to win in a battle; and then it's easy to call them on it.

Nice RP masters: I'm sure everyone's encountered an RP like this - you join an RP, and someone posts a half-assed sign-up, I mean, obviously no effort or anything like that, and the RP master doesn't want to hurt the lazy ass's feelings, so he accepts them, and the overall quality of the roleplay is lowered considerably.

History and Personality Clashing: Somebody mentioned this earlier, (sorry, too lazy to look it up *_*) and it also makes me mad when people try to not only have a bubble exterior with murdered parents and other traumatic events, but also when people try too hard to break the norm (i.e. have normal, nice pasts) and then, have a sullen, angry, traumatized personality. It's really not that hard to link the two together - and it really shows in your RP skills.

Francine?
Yes Robert?
Where are we?
Old October 19th, 2006 (11:46 PM).
Sometimes, we come back!

Nature: Lonely

History and Personality Clashing: Somebody mentioned this earlier, (sorry, too lazy to look it up *_*) and it also makes me mad when people try to not only have a bubble exterior with murdered parents and other traumatic events, but also when people try too hard to break the norm (i.e. have normal, nice pasts) and then, have a sullen, angry, traumatized personality. It's really not that hard to link the two together - and it really shows in your RP skills.
I don't often post here, but I wanted to make a note on the history-personality clash thing. Personality is somewhat inborn, and influenced by other factors as well, in my experience. For example, I had a wonderful childhood, not really spoiled, but I didn't exactly suffer any serious lackings, either. My parents are the most kind and understanding people I know. But I still grew up being a resentful cynic. I'm not saying that they should be completely unrelated, but sometimes, a bit of clashing should be expected, and preferred, if you want my opinion on it.
Old October 20th, 2006 (05:00 AM).
xX~Lord of the Storm~Xx

Quote originally posted by Midnight_Dragon249:
o.O; I don't care how spoiled or old my Umbreon is: I still love it. Plus, there are 2 more in gen4. Old AND new at the same time. o-o' But that means I have to add those to my figure collection! Ack! <I have all 5 Eevee-lutions and Eevee sitting on my desk in my room. I'm a dork like that.>

Anyways, this is just simple stuff that bugs me. Misspelling words and incorrect use of grammer. I mean, if you know you're not the brightest lightbulb in the shed, copy+paste your post into Word, spellcheck, then copy+paste AGAIN. That just really bugs me. And I don't know why... And not just misspelling a few words, or maybe a few typos. But I mean typing something like~

One more thing~1748 People joining an RP! It's insane!! And I guess some RP masters just don't have the heart to say, "Well, sorry, we're full," or ,"Sorry, we have others wanting to join so we can't accept someone with a bad sign-up." I know there ARE people willing to give the big rejection to someone, but I have seen quite a few RPs with a ton more people than it should have.
No, you misunderstand! I love Eevees, and all their evolutions - it's just that I can't stand how everyone has to have one in their pokemon teams. Aren't they like... oober rare?

And it seems you beat me to my previous post at the end of yours - didn't even see it. :D

Francine?
Yes Robert?
Where are we?
Old October 20th, 2006 (05:13 AM).

No, you misunderstand! I love Eevees, and all their evolutions - it's just that I can't stand how everyone has to have one in their pokemon teams. Aren't they like... oober rare?

And it seems you beat me to my previous post at the end of yours - didn't even see it. :D
Depends on what the RP type is. If it's more game-based, they probably would be rarer, as Eevee is generally a one-off. So, you could either of gotten it by a friend breeding it, or from Oak, as him having an Eevee as a starter is obviously possible, thanks to Yellow Version.

If it is more anime-based, then...I guess finding an Eevee would be extremely lucky. Or someone who had a ton of Eevee eggs could have gone around like the Easter Bunny

And the chara I've made with an Umbreon is a really lucky chara. Let's see...Here it is~ . That's lucky. Or just alot of running around in one spot looking for rares. Which is what I would do if Eevee were able to be caught in the wild. I did that to get a Dratini in the Safari Zone. :D
Old October 20th, 2006 (02:23 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

Yeah seriously, you'd have to spend an eon just looking for the shiny ninetales. =_=;; Though sometime's I need a prettified team to match my character, I really hate it when someone is just overdoing it. The 'super kawaii, super suteki' team just bugs the bejeezuz outta me.

Pichu, Minun, Plusle, Azurill, Cleffa, Magby- What do you plan on accomplishing with that team?

Psh. Honestly.

Optimism Overboard: Ever encountered this? The super super super optimistic person, who, in a horrible situation where like, everyone you knew just got killed or murdered or something to that extent, and they're just like... "Oh...that's too bad. But, you've always got to look on the bright side, at least I wasn't killed!" *note the sarcasm* It's just like, 'Dude, you've got some serious issues you need to sort out with yourself.'

Fakemon: Don't use them in an RP. Just don't. It's smarter if you use it in a Fanfiction with a new region- that's where it's cool! (Only if you describe them well,) But otherwise, to be as blatantly obvious as I can possibly be, DON'T use them, because nobody cares what your imagination can contribute to the pokemon franchise as far as I'm concerned. I've seen this happen before, and I was so annoyed I dropped out of the RP. It was horrible.

"Frostbite!" <---What is that?

"Black Aura!" <--- Isn't that from Yu-Gi-Oh, or Magic Cards, or something like that?

Just no.

x_x

There are so many bad habit's that can come with an RPer. I'm sure we'll have fun listing them all as they come. xDD
Old October 20th, 2006 (03:13 PM).

Yeah seriously, you'd have to spend an eon just looking for the shiny ninetales. =_=;;
In my defense, I found a shiny Electrike and Vulpix in ... I think it was Ruby or Sapphire. So, if someone hadn't of deleted my save file on Gold with my precious lv70-73 Umbreon, I could make the above team.

And people trying to join an RP right in the middle of it. Y'know, you and your group are roleplaying and could be right in the middle of a big event/battle/whatever, and *POPGASP*! A SIGN-UP SHEET! Even if in the 1st post, the RP master has said, "No more people may join," you'll STILL get people trying to sign-up. What's worse is when the sign-up sheet isn't even good. And I'm not sure if anyone has said that yet, although I'm pretty sure someone has. (but I'm too lazy to look :D; )

And I do aggree w/Bijou. I have a ton of Fakemon (More than 75) but I never use them in an RP, as no one cares about them much in an RP. It's just too hard to really use them in one. You could have a Water type fakie fighting an Electric type, then *BAM* Earthquake! And no one could argue will you doing that because it's a Fakie and doesn't have to be limited to Water, Normal, "Bite", Ice, or Electric moves. (Kyogre can learn Thunder, BTW) OR, you could say, "FakemonA hits RPerB's Raichu and totally kills it because it's an uber Fakie." Unless you have a detailed move list, stat total, and image of it, Fakies shouldn't be used. Period.
Old October 20th, 2006 (10:02 PM).
もえじゃないも
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
I thought of one. The other day. When I was reading sign ups for mah own rp.

Copy and Paste Sign Up Sheets: You know, those people who snatch your own four-hour-slaved-over sign up sheet, scribble out a word here and there and then call it their own personal creation (complete with a bandwidtch stealing hot-linked picture -shakes fist at-) and then, when you reject 'em, they pm you with complaints about how they "admire" you and "it's not that similar"

Character Thiefs (I'm also dealing with this one currently.) People who want to use your character in a fan-fiction when you've said no repeatedly or worse, as an NPC in their own rp because "your character has so much potential and you're letting him/her go to waste by not going further" I'm sorry but last time I checked, I slaved over that character's sheet for 3-72 (Don't ask...) hours and created a 20 page back story (again don't ask...) not you

People who can't use simple 1st, 2nd grade level english tools (Puncutation Capitalization etc) A sub-cat of chatspeak, these are the people that don't proofread their posts, post things so badly jumbled it looks like a small child wrote them. (Mystics-coughcough-) They're also the people that repeat the same word eight times 8 times in a sentance or throw in a random learned world in place of the traditonal colliquial mess to look "advanced" without knowing it makes them look more stupid. D< Under this catagory is the common misunderstanding of an overall word tense. Nothing ticks me off more than one person rping in the 1st person while the other eight rp in 3rd. It's just... not right.

Pichu, Minun, Plusle, Azurill, Cleffa, Magby- What do you plan on accomplishing with that team?
Hey. >>; this is my little sister's team... with skitty inplace of a magby and a taillow in place of a cleffa and she loves them dearly. (She had a freakin level 80 pichu at one point...which pwned my poor ickly level 90 altaria... and it was holding an everstone. o-o) She's a baby poke freak and for a 10 year old, she's pretty good at rping them... while having them not be all innocent and cute (<< for example her pichu likes to steal things. And then run like hell. Into trees.)
Old October 21st, 2006 (11:01 AM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

...I meant, in a roleplay that doesn't involve level's. < <; Usually those things will end up looking 00ber if it doesn't have level's, and also, it'll look unrealistic if it's that level in an RP too. Also, how many RP's around here have level's? o o; Last I checked, none.
Old October 21st, 2006 (11:32 AM).

...I meant, in a roleplay that doesn't involve level's. < <; Usually those things will end up looking 00ber if it doesn't have level's, and also, it'll look unrealistic if it's that level in an RP too. Also, how many RP's around here have level's? o o; Last I checked, none.
Pokehunter56's RP, "Region of Fossils" does. I mean, it makes no sense to have levels in an RP. Someone could say, "Oh, my lvl72 Umbreon could pwn your lvl25 Beedrill, so we don't even need to fight." Or, "Umbreon used Bite on RPer's Beedrill and it got OHKO'd." And then say "I can OHKO your Poke because mine is a higher level!" And having a baby Pokemon team in a non-leveled RP would be a really weak team. But then you get a team with Charizard, Aggron, Salamence, Metagross, Flygon, and Dragonite and people will start saying "Hey that's too good/uber of a team!" You just can't win, can you?
Old October 22nd, 2006 (04:37 PM).
xX~Lord of the Storm~Xx

A lot of these things can be just as bad if not worse when the circumstances are reversed. For example..

The pitiful bag of tears: We discussed before about people who are super optimistic and are always being cheery and such like that.. well, this is just the opposite.

This is the character that is miserable at all times, cries in public, and generally is an attention whore; anything to get them recognized, and possibly start a pitiful-pitier (sp?) relationship in an RP.

Super pessimists, as opposed to super optimists.

The "Rebel" This is the person who refuses to play along, or "sees" through your plot. Say for example, if you're trying to trick a group of people, and you have it written (Not said, mind you) that you're trying to trick them, and the conversation goes a bit like this.

Rp'r A:
Quote:
"They went this way!" he exclaimed, pointing in the complete opposite direction that his friends had gone, knowing their trail was well covered. There was no way that anyone could have proven him wrong, and they were so riled up, that the smallest suggestion of where to go would be sure to send them raving off in that direction.
RP'r B:
Quote:
"no he is lying!" said jon. "i have powers and i saw them go the other way" said jon. "dont belive him hes lying" said jon
Well, I guess that's a bit of an exxageration, but I think you get my drift.

Francine?
Yes Robert?
Where are we?
Old October 22nd, 2006 (05:02 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! YoshiRiRu, the rebel is SO true. I can't imagine HOW many time's that's reduced me to fist's and tears (of laughter) due to the rebel's absolute stupidity. *Arrow flies through self, words, 'guilty' written across it*

*cough* Anyway, yeah, I hate it when that happens, it's just like, Arrrrg!

Supah Gawd: Ever met that person who just never run's out of youthful fighting spirit? You know, the one that insists that they be 'left behind' or the such, to be the hero of the day? The one who, in a reasonable anime, roleplay, or manga, is the one who get's incredibly injured? Ah, but that's not the case with our Supah Gawds, they have an unlimited supply of energy, and that energy never run's out. Even after they blow up a mountain, elevate a valley, and dry up the ocean, they're still around to say, "Drat! I missed!" Then they insist they're human, just have a little more energy then everyone else.

A little?

Yeah.
Old November 3rd, 2006 (11:55 PM).
xX~Lord of the Storm~Xx

Okay, I'm going to post something that I do, and maye a few of you others find it annoying too, and maybe some of you are even guilty of it.

Excuses: When you've got a good RP going, and someone just HAS to not post - for whatever the reason, they can't find an excuse, and the RP goes nowhere. So a potentially great RP is ruined by people's laziness.

Anyway.

Yeah.

Francine?
Yes Robert?
Where are we?
Old November 4th, 2006 (01:00 AM).
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky
Nyah, excuses, excuses, excuses...yes, I'm familiar with that one. But my excuses are usually valid, like poofing off because of KH II. :O Seriously, though, I think most of the RPers around here have excused themselves many times over. It's human, but you ought to draw the line at the point where the whole RP is on the verge of extinction. I mean, at least have the decency to appoint someone else for ushering your character out of the plot's way if you can't be bothered to make the post yourself. xP Speaking of which, I seem to recall a certain RP we're both in suffering from that particular problem ATM. This wouldn't be you excusing yourself from the whole thing, would it? (Just kidding of course)

Aaaanyhow...about the level thing...meh, I tend to avoid that, personally. :\ Same goes with having set movesets for pokémon, I mean that's what the games are for, no wants to go through that tedious bussiness in an RP, right? I do make a point of making people stick to certain guidlines such as the type chart, trait effects learnsets (Ergo, what moves the pokémon actually can learn) and general statlines (No "Speed-trained" Snorlax outspeeding a Ninjask or other nonsense like that, thank you. <.<) but other than that I'm all for RPer liberty. Battles become dreadfully boring if all elements of creativity (E.g. Using the terrain to your advantage, applications of moves such as Rock Smash to counter a Rock Slide (Makes sense, ya' know =P) and suchlike) are taken out. I'd rather have it interesting than completely by the book.

Oh, and on the fresh sins...

NPC Overload: Yeah, guilty as charged to this one. Sticking in a new NPC here and another there to prod the plot along might look like an easy solution, but the problem I've come across is that I'm in a situation where there are simply NPCs sticking out of every nook and cranny and you don't have a clue about what to do with em' all. This is mostly an RP master-type thing - as those usually end up having to carry the bulk of the NPCs - so as a piece of advice to anyone who wants to start their own RP: recycle. No, really, one well thought-out, multi-faceted character can quite well pull the weight of three simple ones created for the sake of convenience, and it will look a lot better from a plot perspective too. Not to mention that it's a lot less confusing. =3

The "Nice Character": I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but...have you ever come across the endlessly understanding, kind, and encouraging character who'll forgive everyone for everything every time without a shadow of a doubt but is always ready to kick evil butt? These would be the polar opposite of "troublemaker" characters, I guess, bordering on the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu category but without the L33T battle skills of doom. I mean sure, getting along with the rest of the cast is all well and good, but let's draw the line somewhere, m'kay? No-one can always be complete and utter friends with everyone else in the group and always agree with everything they say, that's not human! <.< The worst thing is, these accursed leppers are really hard to pin down because they aren't really godmodding or powerplaying (Since they don't force others to like them or miraculously win every battle) and certainly aren't disrupting the plot. The fact that they are making you, personally, pull out your hair and scream "Can't you act normal even once?!" is unfortunately not a very good basis for kicking them out of the RP, so make sure to stamp these infernal pests out in the sign-up process. Trust me, it will save you a lot of frustrated hair-pulling later on.

Little Mr/Ms Helpful: Another peeve of mine, these are the insufferably perceptive characters who always know what must be done and always have the means to do it, typically followed by a miraculously expanding inventory of useful items. Pokémon KOed? Guess who's carrying a Max Revive. Rain? They've brought an umbrella. Mystery enemy working behind the scenes? Those incriminating documents (Complete with signatures, pictures, and detailed descriptions of all plans) just keep falling in their hands. World doomed to destruction in five seconds? They've got a time machine to make that five centuries. Regardless of the situation, Mr/Ms Helpful is on the job. This is another manifestation of the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu syndrome which has the annoying quality of passing through sign-ups relatively unnoticed, although luckily, they can be caught and accused of powerplay/godmodding if they become too much of a problem. But as a prevention method, I'd like to ask that all of you who are reading this never resort to this 'helpfulness' measure. Sure, every character has the right to solve a problem occasionally (Provided that there are valid reasons for why they are capable of solving it) but an RP where every problem is solved with the flick of a wrist is a dull one indeed. -.-

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Old November 5th, 2006 (03:28 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Alter Ego:
NPC Overload: Yeah, guilty as charged to this one. Sticking in a new NPC here and another there to prod the plot along might look like an easy solution, but the problem I've come across is that I'm in a situation where there are simply NPCs sticking out of every nook and cranny and you don't have a clue about what to do with em' all. This is mostly an RP master-type thing - as those usually end up having to carry the bulk of the NPCs - so as a piece of advice to anyone who wants to start their own RP: recycle. No, really, one well thought-out, multi-faceted character can quite well pull the weight of three simple ones created for the sake of convenience, and it will look a lot better from a plot perspective too. Not to mention that it's a lot less confusing. =3

The "Nice Character": I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but...have you ever come across the endlessly understanding, kind, and encouraging character who'll forgive everyone for everything every time without a shadow of a doubt but is always ready to kick evil butt? These would be the polar opposite of "troublemaker" characters, I guess, bordering on the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu category but without the L33T battle skills of doom. I mean sure, getting along with the rest of the cast is all well and good, but let's draw the line somewhere, m'kay? No-one can always be complete and utter friends with everyone else in the group and always agree with everything they say, that's not human! <.< The worst thing is, these accursed leppers are really hard to pin down because they aren't really godmodding or powerplaying (Since they don't force others to like them or miraculously win every battle) and certainly aren't disrupting the plot. The fact that they are making you, personally, pull out your hair and scream "Can't you act normal even once?!" is unfortunately not a very good basis for kicking them out of the RP, so make sure to stamp these infernal pests out in the sign-up process. Trust me, it will save you a lot of frustrated hair-pulling later on.

Little Mr/Ms Helpful: Another peeve of mine, these are the insufferably perceptive characters who always know what must be done and always have the means to do it, typically followed by a miraculously expanding inventory of useful items. Pokémon KOed? Guess who's carrying a Max Revive. Rain? They've brought an umbrella. Mystery enemy working behind the scenes? Those incriminating documents (Complete with signatures, pictures, and detailed descriptions of all plans) just keep falling in their hands. World doomed to destruction in five seconds? They've got a time machine to make that five centuries. Regardless of the situation, Mr/Ms Helpful is on the job. This is another manifestation of the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu syndrome which has the annoying quality of passing through sign-ups relatively unnoticed, although luckily, they can be caught and accused of powerplay/godmodding if they become too much of a problem. But as a prevention method, I'd like to ask that all of you who are reading this never resort to this 'helpfulness' measure. Sure, every character has the right to solve a problem occasionally (Provided that there are valid reasons for why they are capable of solving it) but an RP where every problem is solved with the flick of a wrist is a dull one indeed. -.-
Yeah that's been said, but that's something that should definetely be repeated. Definetely.

Guilty? Er, I might be. I'm not sure, but I do know that that is annoying. Where someone just happens to know or have or do just what's needed. There should be a rule on that, but that'd be extremely unfair.

NPC Overload actually sounds kind of foreign to me. I'm guilty of it, but honestly, when there are only two RPer's actually roleplaying, wouldn't you want to add a bunch of NPC's, so it doesn't get boring? It's only a problem for me if there are already enough characters in the first place. But to add, we're not the Pokemon Anime people's, we don't need a new character every new episode/post.

Solution Solved- Oops, Just Kidding!: Don't you just hate it when you think you've just solved somebody's problem, and you've gone through like 15 posts of fire and brimstone, and then all of the sudden, "Johnny started to cough violently again- for some reason, the water wasn't working!" Even if in your posts your character trudged like, 50 billion miles just to get the frigging water?
Old November 13th, 2006 (08:56 PM).
xX~Lord of the Storm~Xx

Quote originally posted by Alter Ego:
Nyah, excuses, excuses, excuses...yes, I'm familiar with that one. But my excuses are usually valid, like poofing off because of KH II. :O Seriously, though, I think most of the RPers around here have excused themselves many times over. It's human, but you ought to draw the line at the point where the whole RP is on the verge of extinction. I mean, at least have the decency to appoint someone else for ushering your character out of the plot's way if you can't be bothered to make the post yourself. xP Speaking of which, I seem to recall a certain RP we're both in suffering from that particular problem ATM. This wouldn't be you excusing yourself from the whole thing, would it? (Just kidding of course)

Aaaanyhow...about the level thing...meh, I tend to avoid that, personally. :\ Same goes with having set movesets for pokémon, I mean that's what the games are for, no wants to go through that tedious bussiness in an RP, right? I do make a point of making people stick to certain guidlines such as the type chart, trait effects learnsets (Ergo, what moves the pokémon actually can learn) and general statlines (No "Speed-trained" Snorlax outspeeding a Ninjask or other nonsense like that, thank you. <.<) but other than that I'm all for RPer liberty. Battles become dreadfully boring if all elements of creativity (E.g. Using the terrain to your advantage, applications of moves such as Rock Smash to counter a Rock Slide (Makes sense, ya' know =P) and suchlike) are taken out. I'd rather have it interesting than completely by the book.

Oh, and on the fresh sins...

The "Nice Character":
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but...have you ever come across the endlessly understanding, kind, and encouraging character who'll forgive everyone for everything every time without a shadow of a doubt but is always ready to kick evil butt? These would be the polar opposite of "troublemaker" characters, I guess, bordering on the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu category but without the L33T battle skills of doom. I mean sure, getting along with the rest of the cast is all well and good, but let's draw the line somewhere, m'kay? No-one can always be complete and utter friends with everyone else in the group and always agree with everything they say, that's not human! <.< The worst thing is, these accursed leppers are really hard to pin down because they aren't really godmodding or powerplaying (Since they don't force others to like them or miraculously win every battle) and certainly aren't disrupting the plot. The fact that they are making you, personally, pull out your hair and scream "Can't you act normal even once?!" is unfortunately not a very good basis for kicking them out of the RP, so make sure to stamp these infernal pests out in the sign-up process. Trust me, it will save you a lot of frustrated hair-pulling later on.

Little Mr/Ms Helpful:
Another peeve of mine, these are the insufferably perceptive characters who always know what must be done and always have the means to do it, typically followed by a miraculously expanding inventory of useful items. Pokémon KOed? Guess who's carrying a Max Revive. Rain? They've brought an umbrella. Mystery enemy working behind the scenes? Those incriminating documents (Complete with signatures, pictures, and detailed descriptions of all plans) just keep falling in their hands. World doomed to destruction in five seconds? They've got a time machine to make that five centuries. Regardless of the situation, Mr/Ms Helpful is on the job. This is another manifestation of the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu syndrome which has the annoying quality of passing through sign-ups relatively unnoticed, although luckily, they can be caught and accused of powerplay/godmodding if they become too much of a problem. But as a prevention method, I'd like to ask that all of you who are reading this never resort to this 'helpfulness' measure. Sure, every character has the right to solve a problem occasionally (Provided that there are valid reasons for why they are capable of solving it) but an RP where every problem is solved with the flick of a wrist is a dull one indeed. -.-
GUILTY. Wow, I've done this a lot. I hate being the downer of a group, and I usually try to be the optimist. But I rarely take it too far, I like I know some people have the tendency to do. I usually back off, or at least have something negative come out of my mouth once in a while.

I've never really been like that, but I've RP'd with some people who have. This is especially annoying when you're a villian, and there's an uber helper on the good guy side (Really helpful people are ALWAYS good.) And just as you're about to succeed in your scheme..

DUN DUH DAAAAAAAAAA!

Captain helpy McHelperson, to the rescue.

Unimaginative Vocabulary: How often have you seen a paragraph like this?

Quote:
"No" said Jon, walking to his sister. "'You're dying" said jon, walking away. "I have a potion." said Fred, walking to Jon's sister." "PLZ HALP!1" said Jon. "ONLY IF U HAVE ZENY ND A GUD ASL LOL!1ONE" said fred.
Said. Said. Said. Said. Said. Said. Doesn't matter if you're screaming, singing, crying, or whispering, said is all that comes out. I mean, how hard is it to choose a new word? Thesaurus.com for the win, ladies and gentlemen.

BAD GRAMMAR: This has been said over and over and over and over again. But please, for the love of sanity, just learn some basic english! Punctuation, capitalization, and anything like that make your posts look twenty times more professional than something just slapped together. No matter how amazing your sign-up may be, if it has bad grammar, odds are you'll be marked down heavily for that.

Francine?
Yes Robert?
Where are we?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links