Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre > Roleplay Casting
Reload this Page Bad habits of RPrs.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Casting Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old November 18th, 2006 (10:02 AM).
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Bijou:
Guilty? Er, I might be. I'm not sure, but I do know that that is annoying. Where someone just happens to know or have or do just what's needed. There should be a rule on that, but that'd be extremely unfair.
Yeah, it's a bit too situation-dependent to make a general rule of it. I just stamp it as powerplay if I come across it and leave it at that.
Quote originally posted by Bijou:
Solution Solved- Oops, Just Kidding!: Don't you just hate it when you think you've just solved somebody's problem, and you've gone through like 15 posts of fire and brimstone, and then all of the sudden, "Johnny started to cough violently again- for some reason, the water wasn't working!" Even if in your posts your character trudged like, 50 billion miles just to get the frigging water?
Nyah, I haven't encountered this to any serious degree yet, but yeah, I can imagine what a pain that is to go through, what with having gone through single problem solving situations spanning a good seven pages. Just goes to show how a clueless N00B can ruin pages upon pages of quality RPing with a random two-liner. Life is so unfair in some ways.

Quote originally posted by YoshiRiRu:
Unimaginative Vocabulary: How often have you seen a paragraph like this?

Quote:
"No" said Jon, walking to his sister. "'You're dying" said jon, walking away. "I have a potion." said Fred, walking to Jon's sister." "PLZ HALP!1" said Jon. "ONLY IF U HAVE ZENY ND A GUD ASL LOL!1ONE" said fred.
Said. Said. Said. Said. Said. Said. Doesn't matter if you're screaming, singing, crying, or whispering, said is all that comes out. I mean, how hard is it to choose a new word? Thesaurus.com for the win, ladies and gentlemen.
Amen to that, and lets not forget about 'thought' either. Thought, thought, thought, doesn't matter if the same friggen' thought is split into five friggen' pieces, there will be a 'thought' after each and every one of them. >_< Come on people, try contemplating, musing, planning, anything except for thought, thought, thought. It's not that hard. <.<
Quote originally posted by YoshiRiRu:
BAD GRAMMAR: This has been said over and over and over and over again. But please, for the love of sanity, just learn some basic english! Punctuation, capitalization, and anything like that make your posts look twenty times more professional than something just slapped together. No matter how amazing your sign-up may be, if it has bad grammar, odds are you'll be marked down heavily for that.
November 6th, 2006 03:28 AM
Again you've hit one of my main peeves. It's amazing how teenage people - even people born in the bloody US of A or UK, people who should know their native language - can't comprehend the function of the full stop, let alone paragraphing. Same goes for a stunning ignorance concerning words with similar spellings, such as 'manor' and 'manner', and even simple spelling. It's certain, okay? CERTAIN! NOT CERTIAN DARN YOU! HOW MANY TIMES WILL I HAVE TO POUND IT INTO YOUR THICK N00BISH SKULLS?! >_____<

Ehh...sorry about that, I've got a lot of pent up aggressions on this issue.

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Old November 18th, 2006 (10:43 AM).
unscrupulous~

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Charon
I agree with what's been said so far, but here's another three;

Where's the continuance?
Don't you just hate it in a roleplay when there's been a really maaaajor, emotionally significant scene, with insults throwing left right and centre, but a few posts later the character involved seemed to have forgotton about it completely and aren't emotionally affected at all? I don't know about you lot, but I've been in roleplays where my character's steel have really been tested emotionally, and they've left an arguement shaken and upset. However, the character she's been arguing with seems... completely fine. Happy again, even. Not just emotional things, too. One scen a character's limping, but then he scales a cliff or whatever... I mean, I know we all forget things some times, but often the continuance in roleplays is awful.

That's not how it's spelt!
I got SO angry at this. I'm European. There are many subtle spelling differences between US spelling and UK spelling. This has only happened once or twice, but one time I was signing up for a so-called 'advance' roleplay, and over and over again, I was told off for spelling colour 'wrong', and told I wasn't a good roleplayer for this. ¬¬;

Copy t3h master...
Again, only happened a few times, but I've seen kids making, literally, carbon copies of the roleplay creator's character.

"Bring yours buckets by the dozens,
bring your nieces and your cousins,
come put out the fire on me."

I claimed Zubat in the pokemon claim thread
Most adorable pokemon ever <3
Old November 18th, 2006 (11:09 AM).
that evil mod from hell

Quote originally posted by Charon:
Where's the continuance?
Don't you just hate it in a roleplay when there's been a really maaaajor, emotionally significant scene, with insults throwing left right and centre, but a few posts later the character involved seemed to have forgotton about it completely and aren't emotionally affected at all? I don't know about you lot, but I've been in roleplays where my character's steel have really been tested emotionally, and they've left an arguement shaken and upset. However, the character she's been arguing with seems... completely fine. Happy again, even. Not just emotional things, too. One scen a character's limping, but then he scales a cliff or whatever... I mean, I know we all forget things some times, but often the continuance in roleplays is awful.
Oh yes, I've seen this happen. Like this one time when my character had woken up on the wrong side of humanity and kind of ended up critisizing another one of everything from his height to his skill as a trainer, they were just about to have a dramatic showdown about it too, and then all of a sudden the random guy mounts his Dragonite and flies of somewhere. I mean, wtf? o.O On the other end of the spectrum, we've got the ridiculously emotive characters who take absolutely everything as a personal insult and the bear a grudge throughout the rest of the RP. Honestly, one time I didn't notice some minor remark one of this hyper-sensitives made to my character, which resulted in said character treating mine as his mortal enemy for the rest of the RP. Some people take these things so far that it's absolutely ridiculous. -.-
I got SO angry at this. I'm European. There are many subtle spelling differences between US spelling and UK spelling. This has only happened once or twice, but one time I was signing up for a so-called 'advance' roleplay, and over and over again, I was told off for spelling colour 'wrong', and told I wasn't a good roleplayer for this. ¬¬;
Nyah, linguistic ignorance is a pain. I hope you did inform them that they weren't any good at language for saying such things. I would have. xD
Copy t3h master...
Again, only happened a few times, but I've seen kids making, literally, carbon copies of the roleplay creator's character.
Urgh, copycat RPers...don't even get me started about those good-for-nothing lowlife idea-stealing parasites. >.< I think something similar was brought up earlier, though, but even if it was it still bears repeating. I've also seen this kind of monkey see, monkey do mentality within the RP itself, even when I wasn't the RP master. My character employing some kind of special strategy or me taking up a more unusual style of description and then someone else, posting directly after me with a mutilated copy of whatever I'm doing. I've said it before and I'll say it again: be original, people! <.<

Old November 30th, 2006 (02:49 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Quote:
Quote:
Nyah, linguistic ignorance is a pain. I hope you did inform them that they weren't any good at language for saying such things. I would have. xD
Ahhh, guilty as charged. But that's because I'm not entirely sure what's wrong and what's right in European and American combined. *shrugs* Usually once I'm told that I'm the one that's wrong, I'll stop and go sulk in a corner for a few hours. o o;; *has this 'need to be right' complex* But otherwise, I don't pursue it. I sometime's forget, though, color and colour hasn't really been one of the things that I go sulk on.

Rules & Stickies: I know I've brought this up before, but I decided to put it more in depth. Don't you just HATE it when someone comes around and it's blatantly obvious they haven't looked at any threads like the rules or this thread, or anything at all??? I find these threads extremely interesting, seeing what bugs other people and whether I do it or not. Is it just me?? And the rules! That should be the first thing you read on any forum! (That's why it bugs me when forums like, hide their rules.) It just makes me mad when I have to tell someone 'read the rules' or, 'I recommend you look at this thread before doing this or that again', because, honestly, they're at the top of the page for a very good reason.
Old December 1st, 2006 (10:10 PM).
xX~Lord of the Storm~Xx

Nature: Lax
Send a message via AIM to YoshiRiRu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to YoshiRiRu
Oversensitivity: I hate this. When people ask for advice, and then just totally throw a BF whenever you tell them something is wrong with their "precious" roleplay. This complaint is usually registered in either ALL CAPS or horendus speling and no grammer and speling loll!1 or SUMTIMZ BOFE!1

If you came for constructive criticism, you have to accept the criticism portion of that phrase.

Mizuki | Niwa | YoshiRiRu | Marz
Francine?
Yes Robert?
Where are we?
I don't know. Are you pumped?
Are you kidding? I'm always pumped.
Claims: Girafarig
Paired with: Psycho girl Natsumi-Chan
Little Sister: Mizuki
Old December 2nd, 2006 (08:59 AM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

Yes, I hate that too. It makes it hard not to flame them and say:

"GOD, IF YOU WANT ADVICE, NEXT TIME I'LL SHOVE IT DOWN YOUR THROAT."

>.< *huff puff*

Yeah. That bugs me a lot. It makes me feel like I wasted all my time, and somehow, it make's me feel as though I was just degraded, or insulted.

Nag Nag Whine Whine: I hate people who complain about the rule's being 'unfair' or, 'stupid' or, 'hard to follow'. Everyone else is following them just fine, why can't the whiney follow them too? This sometimes goes hand-in-hand with what Yoshi just said, because they just kind of brush off any advice that might help them follow the rules more easily.
Old February 7th, 2007 (05:26 AM).
The Game is Afoot!

I'm alive, and here's why!

Don't you hate it when someone ressurects a character from a clan/family/race that has been killed off, according to Canon? Seriously, that's dumb.

Don't move! It's a trap!

A variation on Helpy McHelper and Cat and Mouse, this character always seems to know when his allies are about to rush into a stake pit, for no apparent reason. May occasionally sacrifice himself, only to reveal that-surprise!- he is immunne to stakes!

I don't have to tell you everything...

A character, without necessarily god-moding, displays an attribute that wasn't given on their sign-up sheet without any training that would be needed to use the move. Yeah- I see this a lot, these days.

x x x x

Old February 7th, 2007 (07:49 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Art_Critic_Cubone:

Don't you hate it when someone ressurects a character from a clan/family/race that has been killed off, according to Canon? Seriously, that's dumb.
I plead not-guilty. I hate that as well, and I just don't like playing Canon characters, or, really, anything that has to do with canon characters.

Quote:
Don't move! It's a trap!

A variation on Helpy McHelper and Cat and Mouse, this character always seems to know when his allies are about to rush into a stake pit, for no apparent reason. May occasionally sacrifice himself, only to reveal that-surprise!- he is immunne to stakes!
I've sort of said this already, so naturally, I plead not-guilty~
Quote:

A character, without necessarily god-moding, displays an attribute that wasn't given on their sign-up sheet without any training that would be needed to use the move. Yeah- I see this a lot, these days.
I plead halfly-guilty. I usually explain a little training that's happened before, but I don't put it on my sign-up sheet. Why? Because usually, when I make the post, I'm too lazy to go and look at what abilities I've got on my sign-up sheet. :// *thats my BIGGEST fault. Laziness.*
Old February 8th, 2007 (03:06 AM).
The Game is Afoot!

Quote:

I plead halfly-guilty. I usually explain a little training that's happened before, but I don't put it on my sign-up sheet. Why? Because usually, when I make the post, I'm too lazy to go and look at what abilities I've got on my sign-up sheet. :// *thats my BIGGEST fault. Laziness.*
OMGZ, you too? Wow, I'm not alone...

x x x x

Old February 8th, 2007 (09:43 AM).
Sometimes, we come back!

Nature: Lonely
I don't have to tell you everything: Everyone's lazy to a certain extent.But yeah, I prefer to make my signup the "must know" info oif my character, and revewal the rest through actual RP'ing. But I view that as more of a different style. XD

I'm alive: Yeah, It can be invconveniant when they do it improperly, but when you consider it, totillitarian extinction is a very hard thing to do, thus, there's always room for elaboration, if you can do it decently. Just my opinion, I haven't actually done this myself, yet.
Old February 8th, 2007 (09:54 AM).
that evil mod from hell

I concur, laziness is human. I just tend to leave the abilities side in my sign-up kind of vague so I'm left with a little room. I always justify the abilities in the actual post, though. :O

Amen on the canon thing. If you can't do canon right then don't do it at all, I say. xP

Old February 8th, 2007 (10:08 AM).
Danny Phantom!

Send a message via AIM to Light_Azumarill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Light_Azumarill Send a message via Yahoo to Light_Azumarill

Urghh! I hate it when people do that! T.T Especially when you make it clear that the RP is based on the canon. Thankfully I'm not guilty.

Quote originally posted by Alter Ego:
The "Nice Character": I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but...have you ever come across the endlessly understanding, kind, and encouraging character who'll forgive everyone for everything every time without a shadow of a doubt but is always ready to kick evil butt? These would be the polar opposite of "troublemaker" characters, I guess, bordering on the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu category but without the L33T battle skills of doom. I mean sure, getting along with the rest of the cast is all well and good, but let's draw the line somewhere, m'kay? No-one can always be complete and utter friends with everyone else in the group and always agree with everything they say, that's not human! <.< The worst thing is, these accursed leppers are really hard to pin down because they aren't really godmodding or powerplaying (Since they don't force others to like them or miraculously win every battle) and certainly aren't disrupting the plot. The fact that they are making you, personally, pull out your hair and scream "Can't you act normal even once?!" is unfortunately not a very good basis for kicking them out of the RP, so make sure to stamp these infernal pests out in the sign-up process. Trust me, it will save you a lot of frustrated hair-pulling later on.
Eep... have I done that? Perhaps once or twice. ; I think sometimes it's in an attempt to balance an RP's characters. So many RPs have too many characters that are all "I don't like to talk" and "I don't like anyone" that I think it's sometimes necessary to have a really nice person. I usually try and balance mine with some kind of fault or inner frustration though, they're never perfect little angels. (I hope! )
Old February 8th, 2007 (10:18 AM).
that evil mod from hell

Quote originally posted by Light_Azumarill:
Eep... have I done that? Perhaps once or twice. ; I think sometimes it's in an attempt to balance an RP's characters. So many RPs have too many characters that are all "I don't like to talk" and "I don't like anyone" that I think it's sometimes necessary to have a really nice person. I usually try and balance mine with some kind of fault or inner frustration though, they're never perfect little angels. (I hope! )
Heh, relax, Melissa. You've never been guilty of that (at least to my knowledge). I know what you mean about the anti-socials (Guilty as charged to creating those xD) and I fully understand the need to create an agreeable character for balance. I draw the line at the point where said character agrees with everyone about everything even if that involves an internal controversy. xP Besides, most of these "nice people" have this peculiar niceness radar that lets them immediately tell who is a genuine good guy and who's a bad guy in disguise and act accordingly. Kind of like this one time I was playing one of the less nice characters (Can't recall the RP) and this one guy lunged at my char before my character had even spoken up and was all "I'll smite thee evil villain!". I was like "What? He hasn't even opened his mouth yet for pity's sake!". Yeah, not much fun. xP That's the kind of stupidity I'm talking about. >.< You certainly haven't exhibited that yet. ^-^

Old February 27th, 2007 (07:33 PM).
Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses's Avatar
Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses is offline
The one you hate to love. :P

Guilty once, when I was obsessed with the Anime FMA; Full Metal Alchemist and I made my character ressurect his father through "Alchemy" which he failed and... well My character was practically Ed. Sad...
Don't move! It's a trap!

I don't think so... I remember in one RP, (Like my first one) That the trap started and I made my character take most of the damage, ( It was like the walls shooting stakes) But he got like hurt actully...

I plead! Guilty, same as the first, Obsessed with an Anime...

Just a question, Please be honest. Does this character Scream Cliche?

Name: AJ Valentine
Sex: Male
Description: AJ is a medium sized Hispanic teen, He's about Five Foot four and weighs around 130 something pounds. His eye's are a Cloudy blue that seems to reflect innocence, frailness yet his eyes are very deceiving and his teeth are nice and pearly, He is wearing an earing in his left ear, It's in the shape of... well a cross, a golden one with some rhinestones on them and has a tattoo of the cross on his forehead, it's a eeriely white tattoo making it look strange, but still well fitting. He wears tight Black leather pants that seem to shine slightly and a black shirt with a white cross and the words 'Judgment Day' on it. He wears onyx black boots with iron soles that seem to be good for kicking people. He wears a long white trench coat that goes down to just above his ankles with another cross on it, this time black. His hair is grayish white and styled in a medium sized ponytail.

Personality: AJ has a fixed personality, he is serious and strict in a situation but will also have a sense of humor to lighten up all the tense moments. Averagely he is a layed back calm kinda of guy, real outgoing. Even if you get on his nerves he will be willing to help you but if you really Piss him off your going to regret it, big time. So overall he's a layed back humorous yet strict and serious kind of guy. AJ sounds like your average everyday teen and doesn't care what anyone thinks, so he's never really depressed. So overall he's a layed back humorous yet strict and serious kind of guy, Don't get on his nerves and your fine and that concludes are little segment on his personality.
Old February 27th, 2007 (08:01 PM).
Sadness forever...

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Akio123 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Akio123 Send a message via Yahoo to Akio123 Send a message via Skype™ to Akio123
One thing I depise in RPers
RPers that join but never post: I am not saying that people should have their entire lives dedicated to an RP, but if youy don't really have the time to post and you know that(or know your current educational situation or have a carrer), then do not sign up. I mean yeah its a fun thing, but if you are going to impede the progress of the rp, then its unfair to everyone else and then the thread will die.
Old February 27th, 2007 (09:18 PM).
Nick // Always and Never

Send a message via AIM to Always and Never Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Always and Never
People that switch from first person to third person.

I hate it when someone will post in first person and in the next few posts they'll be narrarating their character. It gets pretty annoying.

Sometimes life gets lonely if you haven't talked to your friends in a while.
Old February 27th, 2007 (09:58 PM).

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Random_Fan
Quote originally posted by xXscytherXx:
People that switch from first person to third person.

I hate it when someone will post in first person and in the next few posts they'll be narrarating their character. It gets pretty annoying.
XD I just did that! XP

No, but I had a reason for doing so. Either way, I'm guilty I guess. The reason was because I wanted to make it more easier for the RP creator since he was making a novelized version, and I noticed on my part that was novelized, there was still first person tenses.
Old February 28th, 2007 (02:01 AM).
that evil mod from hell

Quote originally posted by ash jr.:
Just a question, Please be honest. Does this character Scream Cliche?

Name: AJ Valentine
Sex: Male
Description: AJ is a medium sized Hispanic teen, He's about Five Foot four and weighs around 130 something pounds. His eye's are a Cloudy blue that seems to reflect innocence, frailness yet his eyes are very deceiving and his teeth are nice and pearly, He is wearing an earing in his left ear, It's in the shape of... well a cross, a golden one with some rhinestones on them and has a tattoo of the cross on his forehead, it's a eeriely white tattoo making it look strange, but still well fitting. He wears tight Black leather pants that seem to shine slightly and a black shirt with a white cross and the words 'Judgment Day' on it. He wears onyx black boots with iron soles that seem to be good for kicking people. He wears a long white trench coat that goes down to just above his ankles with another cross on it, this time black. His hair is grayish white and styled in a medium sized ponytail.

Personality: AJ has a fixed personality, he is serious and strict in a situation but will also have a sense of humor to lighten up all the tense moments. Averagely he is a layed back calm kinda of guy, real outgoing. Even if you get on his nerves he will be willing to help you but if you really Piss him off your going to regret it, big time. So overall he's a layed back humorous yet strict and serious kind of guy. AJ sounds like your average everyday teen and doesn't care what anyone thinks, so he's never really depressed. So overall he's a layed back humorous yet strict and serious kind of guy, Don't get on his nerves and your fine and that concludes are little segment on his personality.
Well, you asked for it. But I warn you: I can be a big meanie-butt when it comes to criticism, and I'm a particular nitpick with personalities. You have been warned, so read at your own peril. o.o

Spoiler:
Cliché? Sort of, but the far louder scream here is 'internal contradiction'. To begin with, you're saying that he has a fixed personality (Which, in essence, means that he pretty much acts the same regardless of circumstance) yet you proceed to claim how he can be both strict and serious and laid back and humorous. This just doesn't work. A person can not really be serious and humorous at the same time, similarly strict and laid back don't really mix, yet you claim that his personality is fixed (as opposed to shifting) which implies that both things should be true at the same time. Obviously, we have a paradox here. :\ Also, calm one moment and frothing mad the next is the mark of an unstable personality. Instead, you could say that he acts calm, bottling up his anger, which would also explain the huge outbursts you're hinting at here.

My main gripe here is that this guy seems to lack any real flaws. I mean, serious, unbothered, and strict but also humorous and oh-so willing to help everyone out...what's his weakpoint? (And don't even start with the righteous fury since he bottles it up most of the time and it might even be argued as a good side, especially since you didn't give any indication of what 'pisses him off' as you say) I'd like to see something that establishes him a bit more firmly as human and a bit less of that optionality in his personality (As it is, he can be pretty much adapted to the situation and serve as both the funny guy, the serious leader and goodness knows what else). Just chart out a clear good point/bad point relation rather than wavering in-between and don't be afraid to have a flawed character, they tend to be much more fun to read about.

Finally, that personality is repetitively described. You're basically yammering on about the same thing multiple times, which kind of gives me the impression that you are trying to make it look larger than it is. I mean, just look at this:
Quote originally posted by ash jr.:
AJ has a fixed personality, he is serious and strict in a situation but will also have a sense of humor to lighten up all the tense moments. Averagely he is a layed back calm kinda of guy, real outgoing. Even if you get on his nerves he will be willing to help you but if you really Piss him off your going to regret it, big time. So overall he's a layed back humorous yet strict and serious kind of guy. AJ sounds like your average everyday teen and doesn't care what anyone thinks, so he's never really depressed. So overall he's a layed back humorous yet strict and serious kind of guy, Don't get on his nerves and your fine and that concludes are little segment on his personality
Bolding done by me. Each of the bolded parts is essentially explaining the same thing, so why oh why must your do it three times? Usually, people tend to catch on at the first or second try. As a side note: I notice that your characters always seem to be named AJ. In fact, you do it so often that it's almost become a cliché for you, so try to experiment around with other names for a change, m'kay? Also, AJ is an abbrevation so you might want to state the real names behind it. (Please tell me they're not Ash Junior)

So yeah, let's just say that if this was a sign-up submitted to one of my RPs, I'd decline it in its current state. Do you have a history field to go with this? History and personality really go hand in hand.

Well, like I said: I warned you.

Moving on...the switch of tenses is just...bleah. If you want to help someone with a fanfic version then send that to the writer guy, but whatever you do don't go switching styles in the middle of an RP. It's incredibly annoying, not to mention disruptive for the clarity of the posts. I'm opposed to first person narrative in RPs in general, because 1) most of the people who do it don't have a clue about how to write good first person 2) the horde of 'I's just makes it a bother to follow who's doing what, when, where, and why. Besides, it's hard to remember characters' names when they're all just 'I'. xP

Finally, about this one:
Quote originally posted by Akio123:
RPers that join but never post: I am not saying that people should have their entire lives dedicated to an RP, but if youy don't really have the time to post and you know that(or know your current educational situation or have a carrer), then do not sign up. I mean yeah its a fun thing, but if you are going to impede the progress of the rp, then its unfair to everyone else and then the thread will die.
Agreed, hence why I'm so picky about what I join and drop out only when real life forces my hand or the person in charge of the RP does something inexcusable like godmodding or powerplaying (or sanctioning it). My reaction would be much the same if someone did the same to one of my characters as they did to Mika's - i.e. tried to stick him/her in a fanfic - but thankfully I haven't had to go through that yet. xP

Oh, and I do hope that this has been mentioned before, but one thing that really drives me up the walls is:

Pictures in RPs

And by this I don't mean just ripping off animenation because you can't be bothered to write up your appearance (which is bad enough), but also pictures within the RP itself. Such as, a person who looked like this [Insert crappy sprite or ripped anime picture here] entered the room.

WTFudge? An RP is a piece of writing not the amateur spriters' club. If you can't describe what you need to get described in writing then you should seriously reconsider hosting an RP to begin with. Pictures in RP posts just look horribly cluttering and out of place and make the whole thing look like some kindergarten kid's collage assignment (Sorry, but it's true). The moment I see a picture in an RP post I either demand it to be removed (if it's my RP) or just plain stop reading. xP

Old February 28th, 2007 (05:48 AM).
Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses's Avatar
Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses is offline
The one you hate to love. :P

Oopsm... Didn't mean to say things twice... Err well thanks anyway.

And AJ doesn't much stand for much, I'm thinking; Azure Jay. I havn't really ever decided.
Old April 9th, 2007 (05:19 AM).
That servant of the evil one
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Okay, first official peeve is the standardised characters in RP's being used and reused over and over again. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, but I've joined about three to four RP's in the last fortnight or so and some of the other members who have also joined in the same RP, use exactly the same character. And the thing is, they're continuing to use the same character over and over again, without making any improvements or changes to their profile. The only solution I can come up with if I'm ever in an RP with a profile I've seen three or more times before, is that I'll just withdraw from the RP or decline them immediately.

The only other thing that's been bothering me lately is the lack of good spelling, grammar, and vocabulary. The funny thing is, most of the people who I see who can’t spell or construct proper words or sentences are those who reuse old and unchanged character profiles. And I can tolerate members who have difficulty with English if they’re from another country or are of a non-English background, but for those who are born and raised in English-speaking countries, there’s not much of an excuse. I mean, these people sign up for RP after RP after RP and most of their posts are accumulated in the role playing forums, but I’ve never understood why, after all their experience in role playing or lack thereof, the quality of their posts never seem to improve. However, the ironic thing is, if I were to establish a more mature and literate RP and only accept members who are above adequate in the English language, then more likely than not, that RP would die after a few days or would not start at all. It’s because most good role players lose interest easily, and those who are not as competent, are generally more interested and involved in the RP, thus carrying it on.

It's a dangerous cycle where good role players are slowly being weeded out. I'm not saying that all RP's are like this, but I have seen a few recently. It's just that, some of the more illiterate role players continue to role play and become accustomed to doing so in such a manner. They don't care about improving since they're being accepted in almost every RP they sign up to. And for the few RP's that they are declined from, the RP is quickly disbanded or loses interest among good role players.

familiar of knowledge. koakuma.
scandalous matriarch love affair and pair. aea illegitimate lovechild. mika loyal steed of comradery. scarlet live-in sisterly familiar. ninetales
Old April 9th, 2007 (05:53 AM).
that evil mod from hell

Quote originally posted by Phanima:
Okay, first official peeve is the standardised characters in RP's being used and reused over and over again. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, but I've joined about three to four RP's in the last fortnight or so and some of the other members who have also joined in the same RP, use exactly the same character. And the thing is, they're continuing to use the same character over and over again, without making any improvements or changes to their profile. The only solution I can come up with if I'm ever in an RP with a profile I've seen three or more times before, is that I'll just withdraw from the RP or decline them immediately.
That is the complete and utter divine truth right there. Recycled characters generally equal suckadelicness. I mean sure, if it's a character with a long and complex history - created through actual RPing - which has been developed in the process then that's awesome, but if it's just the same, lousy, slapdash character (Not pointing any fingers here either...but you people ought to know who you are and feel deep shame over it. xP) with a maximum edit of two sentences to make it fit some kind of plot requirement or the other then I just decline those right off the bat. And yes, I do notice when people do that too, although fortunately none of those have tried to join any of my RPs. It's sad, but some characters I've seen could really be declined by the name field already. Innovation doesn't hurt, people. That's why I've tried to cover the whole spectrum from annoyingly cheerful and upbeat to dark and angsty. Oh, and in both genders too. Really, I warmly recommend trying that at least once to all RPers around. RPing is no fun if you don't push your limits. ^-^
The only other thing that's been bothering me lately is the lack of good spelling, grammar, and vocabulary. The funny thing is, most of the people who I see who can’t spell or construct proper words or sentences are those who reuse old and unchanged character profiles. And I can tolerate members who have difficulty with English if they’re from another country or are of a non-English background, but for those who are born and raised in English-speaking countries, there’s not much of an excuse. I mean, these people sign up for RP after RP after RP and most of their posts are accumulated in the role playing forums, but I’ve never understood why, after all their experience in role playing or lack thereof, the quality of their posts never seem to improve. However, the ironic thing is, if I were to establish a more mature and literate RP and only accept members who are above adequate in the English language, then more likely than not, that RP would die after a few days or would not start at all. It’s because most good role players lose interest easily, and those who are not as competent, are generally more interested and involved in the RP, thus carrying it on.
I am deeply hurt by your insinuation that all good RPers lose interest quickly. Are you saying I'm not a good RPer, boy?! xO I never quit an RP unless either A) Real-life issues really force my hand and I have no chance of attending, B) No-one else posts and the thread dies, or C) The RP master behaves in a way that I can't tolerate (Typically, blatant powerplay or godmodding, serious neglect of any RPers except their own little clique, or letting the whole thing go completely out of control). I would also like to remark that I've had the pleasure of RPing with several good and very devoted RPers who really do their best to keep the RP alive and well. (I basically count all the people left in my Ancient Dynasty RP into this category. Sticking with the same RP for over a year through mass absences and RL issues is definitely dedication in my book.) So yeah, don't paint everyone with the same brush. Some RPers are like that, but it's not a universal thing by any means, which is why I still love RPing here. :3 You know what I find ironic, though? A lot of native speakers on these forums are actually worse at English than ones who have studied it as a foreign language. Now that's just plain lazy. If I managed to learn through a volatile combination of computer games, bad TV and English lessons then the native folks should be able to do a bit better than 'hipplz hwo r U????". Really, every time a native speaker person posts that way a kitten dies. -.-
It's a dangerous cycle where good role players are slowly being weeded out. I'm not saying that all RP's are like this, but I have seen a few recently. It's just that, some of the more illiterate role players continue to role play and become accustomed to doing so in such a manner. They don't care about improving since they're being accepted in almost every RP they sign up to. And for the few RP's that they are declined from, the RP is quickly disbanded or loses interest among good role players.
O.O

If I weren't such a scrupulous (and heterosexual) person I'd give you a deathgrip of a hug right about now. Seriously, I thought I was the only person around to think like this. I've seen a ton of good RPs underperform because the RP masters let through terribly sloppy sign-ups that I would have stamped with 'fail' at a glance. The usual argument I hear is: "Everyone's got to start somewhere". But really, like you said: these people aren't there to 'make a start'; they're just plodding on the spot because they keep getting away with it. Around here, the 'somewhere' where people who can't manage four lines of coherent english need to start at is called primary school. This easy acceptance also leaves some clearly mediocre RPers with the misguided impression that they're awesome. I dunno' if it's just me being a crude person, but I don't think RP masters should hesitate to bring down the hammer when they see sloppy profiles. If something is wrong with a profile then demand edits, if they can't manage it then fail them. It's that simple, and yes, belive it or not there's actually a fair base of talented, literate RPers on these forums, people, you don't need to settle for the next best thing. I never did and my RPs always end up crowded anyway.

I must say, that post made my day. Yay for non-sucky RPing! :3

Old April 9th, 2007 (07:24 AM).
chelia.blendy
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Alter Ego:
That is the complete and utter divine truth right there. Recycled characters generally equal suckadelicness. I mean sure, if it's a character with a long and complex history - created through actual RPing - which has been developed in the process then that's awesome, but if it's just the same, lousy, slapdash character (Not pointing any fingers here either...but you people ought to know who you are and feel deep shame over it. xP) with a maximum edit of two sentences to make it fit some kind of plot requirement or the other then I just decline those right off the bat. And yes, I do notice when people do that too, although fortunately none of those have tried to join any of my RPs. It's sad, but some characters I've seen could really be declined by the name field already. Innovation doesn't hurt, people. That's why I've tried to cover the whole spectrum from annoyingly cheerful and upbeat to dark and angsty. Oh, and in both genders too. Really, I warmly recommend trying that at least once to all RPers around. RPing is no fun if you don't push your limits. ^-^

I am deeply hurt by your insinuation that all good RPers lose interest quickly. Are you saying I'm not a good RPer, boy?! xO I never quit an RP unless either A) Real-life issues really force my hand and I have no chance of attending, B) No-one else posts and the thread dies, or C) The RP master behaves in a way that I can't tolerate (Typically, blatant powerplay or godmodding, serious neglect of any RPers except their own little clique, or letting the whole thing go completely out of control). I would also like to remark that I've had the pleasure of RPing with several good and very devoted RPers who really do their best to keep the RP alive and well. (I basically count all the people left in my Ancient Dynasty RP into this category. Sticking with the same RP for over a year through mass absences and RL issues is definitely dedication in my book.) So yeah, don't paint everyone with the same brush. Some RPers are like that, but it's not a universal thing by any means, which is why I still love RPing here. :3 You know what I find ironic, though? A lot of native speakers on these forums are actually worse at English than ones who have studied it as a foreign language. Now that's just plain lazy. If I managed to learn through a volatile combination of computer games, bad TV and English lessons then the native folks should be able to do a bit better than 'hipplz hwo r U????". Really, every time a native speaker person posts that way a kitten dies. -.-

O.O

If I weren't such a scrupulous (and heterosexual) person I'd give you a deathgrip of a hug right about now. Seriously, I thought I was the only person around to think like this. I've seen a ton of good RPs underperform because the RP masters let through terribly sloppy sign-ups that I would have stamped with 'fail' at a glance. The usual argument I hear is: "Everyone's got to start somewhere". But really, like you said: these people aren't there to 'make a start'; they're just plodding on the spot because they keep getting away with it. Around here, the 'somewhere' where people who can't manage four lines of coherent english need to start at is called primary school. This easy acceptance also leaves some clearly mediocre RPers with the misguided impression that they're awesome. I dunno' if it's just me being a crude person, but I don't think RP masters should hesitate to bring down the hammer when they see sloppy profiles. If something is wrong with a profile then demand edits, if they can't manage it then fail them. It's that simple, and yes, belive it or not there's actually a fair base of talented, literate RPers on these forums, people, you don't need to settle for the next best thing. I never did and my RPs always end up crowded anyway.

I must say, that post made my day. Yay for non-sucky RPing! :3
The main problem right now is that we're starting to come to a point in which it's hard to gather a group of RPers who have even an inkling of talent. I've been RPing here for three years, and at one point a high post quality was present wherever you went. Over the past year or so, however, quality has severely declined. I take some responsibility for this, as I could have devised methods for improvement long ago. Some of the blame lands on the bad RPers themselves, though. I know I reject almost ever person with little talent from my RPs, but with the RP masters of "this generation", they just accept almost everyone who applies unless they don't like someone. By doing this, they make the RPers think it's okay to post like that, and in turn they continue; sometimes getting worse.

As for that comment on RPers losing interest; it's true. I don't know how many RPs I've started in the last year that have just mysteriously died due to people refraining from posting without a word to me. It's pathetic. If you aren't going to have enough interest to stay in the RP, why bother signing up?

For the record, Jyukai and I have been trying to think up methods of improving the overall quality, but we have yet to stumble upon anything that would actually work without being too strict. If you have suggestions, you're welcome to PM one of us with your thoughts.

SKY GOD SLAYER: CHELIA BLENDY
twitter + raptr + myanimelist + tumblr
Old April 9th, 2007 (09:43 AM).
Sometimes, we come back!

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Origin:
The main problem right now is that we're starting to come to a point in which it's hard to gather a group of RPers who have even an inkling of talent. I've been RPing here for three years, and at one point a high post quality was present wherever you went. Over the past year or so, however, quality has severely declined. I take some responsibility for this, as I could have devised methods for improvement long ago. Some of the blame lands on the bad RPers themselves, though. I know I reject almost ever person with little talent from my RPs, but with the RP masters of "this generation", they just accept almost everyone who applies unless they don't like someone. By doing this, they make the RPers think it's okay to post like that, and in turn they continue; sometimes getting worse.

As for that comment on RPers losing interest; it's true. I don't know how many RPs I've started in the last year that have just mysteriously died due to people refraining from posting without a word to me. It's pathetic. If you aren't going to have enough interest to stay in the RP, why bother signing up?

For the record, Jyukai and I have been trying to think up methods of improving the overall quality, but we have yet to stumble upon anything that would actually work without being too strict. If you have suggestions, you're welcome to PM one of us with your thoughts.
Amen to that, as for the the loss of interest, I think it's primarily due to people's interests changing, or their perception of what the RP would be like not olding up to the real thing. Still, it's a problem.

And I've been doing the same, as un-official as I am. But I think that the problem is, we simply can't force people to work on quality. We need to find a way to make them want quality. [/2cents]
Old April 9th, 2007 (12:03 PM).
that evil mod from hell

Yes, I see what you mean about new RP masters. Tsk, they're so eager to get started that they don't mind the quality. Heck, the really new ones probably don't even have a proper measure for it and honestly can't tell, and as people can't really judge how good their RPing is from anything but the responses they get, it's a vicious circle. I think you've struck the centre of the argument here.
I've lost count of how many times I've thought that last sentence in this quote (and wanted to scream it at certain forumites 'til I'm foaming at the mouth <<). Seriously, joining and then just poofing without a word is one of the most rude and disrespectful things you can do to an RP master. At the very least people should have the decency to provide a proper explanation for their decisions. Oddly enough, I've only had this problem in one of my own RPs. Lucky me. :3
Nyu, I'll keep that in mind. I have couple of ideas floating about in my head but I've yet to phrase them so that people can understand what the heck I'm going on about. xD But yeah, glad to see our mods are taking this seriously. Just a couple of things I'd like to throw out for general discussion: how about a kind of discussion thread for just RPing in general rather than plots in particular? You know, characters, plot development, writing technique...stuff like that. I think the Discussion Thread was a great initiative, but it's exclusively for plots while this thread is for 'what not to do's. It sort of leaves out a lot of the 'what to do's that would benefit the weaker RPers. Also, maybe some kind of organized offering of RP tutoring? You know, kind of like the old 'Adopt an RPer' thread? Of course I'm not so optimistic as to think that everyone who needs it is going to ask for help, but there are some who are just genuinely inexperienced and more than willing to learn. Offering them a hand might not be such a bad way to start tackling the issue. And if it fails...well, it's not like it's such a huge investment so losses are small. Also, some up-to-date guides would be cool. Yeah, shutting up about that now. I might get back to it by PM once I come up with a more developed idea. :3

Quote originally posted by Shiney:
Amen to that, as for the the loss of interest, I think it's primarily due to people's interests changing, or their perception of what the RP would be like not olding up to the real thing. Still, it's a problem.

And I've been doing the same, as un-official as I am. But I think that the problem is, we simply can't force people to work on quality. We need to find a way to make them want quality. [/2cents]
Not just that, we need to make them realize what quality is. You can't desire something you have no picture of. Mediocrity is so rampant that it's threatening to become a new definition for good, and that's one scary thought. :\

Old April 9th, 2007 (02:36 PM).
強くなった
Gold Tier

WARNING: ESSAY AHEAD.

*meep!* All these big posts are frightening me. >.< I feel kind of apart of the blame as well, I plead guilty of losing interest in roleplay's, but you don't have to say it so...meanly! ;A; -shot- No I totally understand. I know how it feels as well, even though I do it myself.

My Reasons for Dropping
A little defendant for the people who drop roleplay’s. I think that everyone who signs-up for an RP, had interest in that RP. But for me, when time goes on, sometimes the RP just goes in circle’s, because nobody’s bold enough to make something happen. Or maybe it’s just that some actions of other characters bother me enough so that I lose all interest in even wanting to be around their character. And one thing that bothers me the most: Same faces. PC’s Rping section consists of the same people, over, and over, and over again. I do love Rping with my friends and such, but, after seeing the same style, same layout of character, I just can’t help but feel completely unmotivated to interact with the character in question. (I know I’m being hypocritical, but let’s ignore that fact for the rest of the post so we can just get this over with. XP)

And though it’s an effective revival strategy, I can’t help but feel positively irritated when RP masters PM me asking me to post. It’s like, “I’ll post when I’ve got something to say, yeah?”

RP Masters
I, as an RP master, usually dislike accepting people I know who may have a good sign-up, but honestly can't RP in actuality at all. D: I know that I dislike declining people, because it’s just not a happy thing, but accepting people left and right is worse then just declining someone. I think you have to really think about whether or not this person can really commit. And at this point, I don’t start my own RP’s anymore, because I know that I, personally, can’t seem to commit to my own RP’s.

Quality of Posts and Sign-ups
But what I'd really like to address is the quality of RPing lately. I sure as heck wasn't here for those 'golden days' that everyone here seems to so enjoy talking about, but I know that I've seen WAY better days then this. I think we all hold relatively similar views on this subject, we just don’t voice it. (I don’t because I’m afraid I’ll offend someone…) But I do agree that people who accept under-average sign-ups are just promoting low-quality Rping. But I think it’d be unfair and too restrictive if people were made to accept only good quality sign-ups, because newer Rper’s would never get the chance to progress in their learning, and would simply be dropped on the spot.

Solutions
I've discussed with Origin about making a sort of RPing school, or an RP to help teach the less experienced RPer's, but honestly, it all comes down to whether or not these RPer's would join or not. :/ And judging by some of the more active RPer's, well... I highly doubt they would consider themselves un-experienced enough. D:

I know for sure that I'd join to learn a little more, but I don't think that just me would be a very successful place, and I sure as hell don't want everyone hanging over my shoulder pointing out every little mistake of mine. D:

You haven't the slightest idea how much I wish and wish and wish that we could just do a thread that deals on the styles of every roleplayer. D: Like, a thread that would just be there so people can put in their opinions about other people's roleplaying, and what they could really work on. But I can't help but feel an ominous preminition that that's just not going to work out okay, especially since some people might word it in offending ways. >.<

Discussion Thread
I like that idea, but it only focuses generally, and doesn’t pinpoint what one certain member needs to work on. I mean, it could be only one person in the entire Rping population who needs help on say, developing more original characters, but they may never even stumble upon the page, or even consider that the point is directed at them.

Adopt a Roleplayer
I’ve had some people ask me to do something similar to ‘adopt a roleplayer’ with them, and I’ve agreed. I have to say though, it was not an enjoyable experience. No matter how many times I would tell them to improve on something, the next post they made, well. It was not improved. And then, sometimes I would get roleplayer’s who were absolutely fine, and they’d be insisting on critique, and I simply can give them the critique they need. It also ate up my time, so I personally didn’t enjoy doing the adoption, but I would certainly take the time to look into the idea if any Rper’s would be willing be adopter’s. (But, that would depend on my idea of whether or not that adopter would be suited for adopting.)

@AE: If you do get a good idea, PM me first. ;3 –shot-

Whole thing in a nutshell: I agree 100%-ly to what Phanima is saying, because it’s 100% true. :/

Disclaimer: I'm not pointing ANY fingers here. Well, I pointed a finger at myself, but it's not like you should care. D:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)