The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge

Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Cirrus
dreaming a transient dream.

Nature: Mild

Advertise here
A link to a Litmus test is provided already in one of the Help threads, I believe. Unfortunately, I have also succumbed partially to that bad habit of migration, but it's mostly under control now. I think it's a measure of self-control that one must exhibit, as with all things that one cares for.

~あさきゆめみし君と~

さくらの色 いとしさの花 あさきゆめみし君と
そっとそっと口づけをして 涙あふれてく

pair · in tempore momenti · personal vloid playlist
d.c. ii art assets belong to circus. text: tororo.
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Down with the darkness
Pretty freakin' awseome!

Location: 100 yards away, working on getting your head in my crosshairs.
Nature: Quirky
For some reason I seem to be a bunny magnet. In 2/3 of the RP's II've been in on this forum someones tried to bunny me.

Rising
Shadows:

Will "Motherboard" Sydney

Hall of quotes:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vociferocity View Post
just keep it PG-17! no sexytimes in this rp, okay?

Old June 13th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Frostbiteकर्म
Life's Short. Stop Fighting.

Nature: Lonely
I hate it when the RP Master (or GM, whichever you prefer to refer to them as) think they're soooo powerful just because they run the thread and they give themselves everything. Such as the good Pokemon (I mean like more than 1 in a post...like 2 or something at the same time and without even an amazing post, if it was amazing that would be fine), amazing skills, and stuff like that. I hate it when people get all arrogant. I'm not sure if I'm arrogant, but if I am I try not to be. Ok, I'm done with my little rant now.

*Sig credit to Comic Tragedy/moments.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
The Gaurdian
a change in your demeanour.

Nature: Quiet
I hate it when the title is somthing like [RolePlayTitle]: !!!CLOSED!!! and yet people still post sign ups...

Bright Colors!(do you see what I did there?)
and i hate it when people post only in yellow, (<- please highlight that if you cant see that it says "YELLOW") Green, Blue, Or grey. (green, blue, or grey.) because my eyesight is not that great, and when they do this, I just bothers me, I mean really, Why should I have to highlight a post just to read it?

SHUN THE NON DESCRIBERS!
I also hate people that will NOT describe anything, "He walked into a room." is not something I do, Infact my HWIAR is more like, "He walked into a large room with twenty pillers or so that rose to the roof. The room was incased in darkness and they could see nothing... [please imput more here,]" And then I will go into a LONG disciption of the room.

N00B/L337 SP34K.
4|\|D \/\/4|-|7 15 7|-|15? |0|. If I have to get my brother to even do that, then what makes you think I can read it, I know the "WHAT" and "IS" but when a entire post is like this, I cant UNDERSTAND YOU!
Where there is Rage, I shall show its course...

I am the Gaurdian...
Look, I like RPing... unfourtuneatly I only look at the best, and maybe I join them... but also it seams that most of them DIE... come get me if you want me to join... I am a good RPer if you want me in.
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Missingno.7-4468
The Kazuka Party is for curry!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Missingno.7-4468
To add on to the cliché characters, I am getting really annoyed with appearances that go something like this:

"...He has long, spiky brown hair that, when wet, goes down to the bottom of his neck..."

Seriously, one more of these, and I'm gonna kill myself(not really).

^ This one is 500 px long for sure
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I Laugh at your Misfortune!
Normal is a synonym for boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno.7-4468 View Post
To add on to the cliché characters, I am getting really annoyed with appearances that go something like this:

"...He has long, spiky brown hair that, when wet, goes down to the bottom of his neck..."

Seriously, one more of these, and I'm gonna kill myself(not really).
That's what my hair is like, though XD

I just hate it when people's characters are such Mary-Sues and they CAN'T see it D:

Old June 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Roxasabridged
Lucariowner

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roxasabridged
I hate RP'ers that travel along with another character(s) and disappear randomly when they're needed. It tends to grind RP's to a halt.
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw the rules, I have green hair! View Post
I just hate it when people's characters are such Mary-Sues and they CAN'T see it D:
I think they don't really care at this point, though I bet they'd still want to RP.

I've seen it where someone was basically RPing a Halo clone, and tweaking some things to fit the storyline/genre, and we kept persuading this guy to change it up, to which he failed to do. Not that he said he wouldn't, but that he posted his next post anyway, as though nothing had happened. Needless to say, he was booted out.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Eletj
Once Eletj, Always Eletj

Nature: Rash
Okay, I need to rant.

I hate it when people sign-up to an RP with a bad sign up. Not you're everyday, just passing the limits, I mean where it seems like they don't even try. Heres an example, I'll use a Sign-up from my current RP:

Name: (Your Characters name)
Appearance: (At least 4-6 sentences, I am accepting pictures.)
Personality: (At least 4-5 sentences)
History: (At least 2 paragraphs.)
Pokemon: (Read above)
Extra: (Self Explanatory)
Trainer Card: Optional
RP Sample: (Self Explanatory)

And they put something like:

Name: Fred
Appearance: Brown hair. Blue eyes. 6"5. Yellow T-shirt with blue sneakers and jeans.
Personality: Hes is a fun guy, who is really friendly.
History: Born in Johto. Lived in Kanto. Mum died in accident.
Pokemon: Piplup
RP Sample: Fred went for a run in the morning, but tripped up and hurt his knee. he couldn't yell for help, so he crawld his way home. his dad asked him waht happened.

It's these kind of Sign-ups that make me want to yell into the computer screen and throw things. But I remain calm, and type decline in bright red letters. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Thank you, and Good Night.

I do not need a microphone... My voice is ******* POWERFUL!
Spoiler:
We missed you~ - UmbreonGirl
Badass Survivor - Diegoyayi
Princess of Plot - GhostPrincess
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:52 AM
CrystallineSeraphim
Awakened of Eternal Destiny

Nature: Naive
Hmm... there seems to be alot of hatred for so many stereotypes of bad/terrible roleplayers... I have roleplayed for a few years on Gaia Online and it helps me greatly with my roleplaying experience... I can not have a good day unless I get to at least roleplay a little bit. I am also mostly patient with one roleplayer I roleplay with in a relatively dead Kingdom Hearts RP Guild... he sometimes isn't a good roleplayer... in that he doesn't use the right captialization or Punctuation sometimes and he mostly has his posts in red for actions and dark red for speech... however, it is easy for me to read it. However, I have a dreadful habit of posting in a 10pt text size on Gaia Online but then again... so many other roleplayers there do. I am slowly trying to improve his roleplaying... so far we are doing this arc together, my character Hikaru, has been possessed by his alternate personality Hiroaki and is force to fight against Shinoko (my friend's character), and now they are suspended in the air above a dark oceans whose water shimmers like quicksilver due to the light of a dark sun.

As for you guys hating furries? WTF? I am a member of alot of Naruto Roleplaying Guilds on Gaia Online and in Naruto: Shinobi Changes, I have a clan of ninjas who have childish personalities and are eternally young from the moment they turn 18 but are mostly incontient or infantilist but have the power to generate, control and manipulate kinetic energy at will... guess what I called this kekkei genkai... I called it Reverse Rebirth. This was before clyde reset the freaking roleplay so I have to get my characters and clans reapproved, however, I have 2 characters in that clan... Takato and Naoto Matsuki, they are distant cousins to each other but the pictures I used for them are basically anime character's diapered... Takato is Manta from Shaman King and Naoto is Naoto from FLCL.

Don't flame at me for revealing that... I am not infantilist in anyway... I just love a really good roleplay...

I have one more stereotype...

The Swearing Roleplayer of DOOM: (Sorry for the name... meh) These are basically people who love to freaking swear like there is no tomorrow in their Roleplaying Posts... they are freaking annoying and they start swearing their freaking heads off at you for something that put them at a disadvantage even though what you did was totally legal in the guild roleplay rules... and they then resort to god-modding. I put up with it up until the point where they nearly kill my character through god-modding... and then I report them to a guild moderator... but it has even happened to me when I am the freaking guild captain, and they totally ignore that fact, I give them about 4 chances (I am leniant so what), until I ban them... but then they start spamming me with PMs and then create a new account so they can join back up into the guild and then doing the same cycle again... up until the point where you report them to the Gaia Moderators... I have never done that... except when someone for some freaking reason posted freaking disturbing graphically morbid images in a PM to me... and I had never seen that user before...

Also... I am guilty of trying to induce random suspense in a RP called Pokemon: Inner Spirit... my character's inner pokemon is a Glaceon named Kara and he is being hunted by his chaotic older brother Makoto, who killed nearly everyone in his village but Hikaru somehow escaped to a glacial island near the pokemon world... living in perfect harmony with the elements of ice and water of the island, in complete solitude, until others come to the island through unknown means... this was the most recent post I had in that RP on these forums...
Quote:
"Obviously he isn't one of Makoto's goons..." Kara said to Hikaru telepathically, as Hikaru started to get up, and when he heard Lewis, Hikaru's energy wings disappeared in a dispersing of tiny blue particles, then Hikaru responded by saying "Greetings... welcome to my island". Lewis would notice that Hikaru was only wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt and blue cargo jeans, strange clothing for being on an island which was like a winter wonderland, like a perpetual land of ice and water, Hikaru was at home here, in tune with the elements of water and ice. Hikaru spun around when he heard a rustling in the grass nearby and then a figure burst out, wielding a large katana as a weapon. Hikaru instantly reacted and gathered a large amount of his psionic energy and a large quantity of ice elemental energy around his fist and then charged at the figure.

The energy was also streaming to behind Hikaru from his fist up until the point where his fist collided with the attacker's katana, then there was a large burst of light as the energy around Hikaru's fist intensified and Hikaru roared telepathically "Kami no Itte (Hand of God)". The katana then shattered from the pressure of the psionic and elemental energy on the blade's structure, both physical and molecular. Then Hikaru followed through with his attack, striking his opponent directly in the face, at which, Hikaru discharged the psionic and elemental energy into his opponent, and doing so, flung his opponent high into the sky, probably heading back towards the mainland... probably millions of kilometres away.

Hikaru smirked and the energies dispersed from his fist and then he turned around to face Lewis, saying nothing, but gave a look that obviously meant that Lewis should follow Hikaru... and quickly... if he valued his freedom
I really want you to rate me on that... and hopefully I am not a stereotyped roleplayer
"Memories awaken within the soul, reborn within the mind, occasionally lost to the winds of fate, yet our songs of hope rekindle our memories, and yet man thinks they are bound by destiny, but the truth is... no man is bound by the strands of fate.

I am reborn, within the song of eternity, the trees of my home of Neichaa no Kanshisha awaken me once more, embracing the songs of nature and Nature's embrace, and so the same with the embrace of our goddess, Gaia, Spirit of the Earth, she is the mother of all Ijutsu, the one who gave us hope and sheltered us from the winds of war. Memories let me scan the records of the past, what is written and what is not, yet my hope is eternal, with Kawaige by my side and my Spirit Chain allowing me to strike from afar, the power of the Ijutsu will arise once more."

Hikaru Lyoko Tsukinoki Kimimoto, Ijutsu Shuhan, Age 14, Ijutsu Tribe.

~ Join Gaia Online and then join the most beautiful fantasy/post-modern timeline roleplaying Guild ~
Awakening of Dreams
Guild Captain - Lanfaer {Zenbi Tribe Shuhan}; Vice Captains - The Kingdom Keeper, Mavarick Hunter Zero, Master of the Hellfire;
Moderators - Crystalline Seraphim {Ijutsu Tribe Shuhan}, Rednal {Sage Wanderer}, Hakizimana Lao Tzu {Shahou Tribe Shuhan }, Rhaegar14 {Kensaki Tribe Shuhan}, Stu-Stu13 {Majutsu Tribe Shuhan}, RikusDusk, Nejura {Kyoushu Tribe Shuhan}

Old July 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Monochrome
[♠]♦]♣]♥]

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Monochrome
Agh the only problem with SU's is that whether or not you realize the only interesting SUs are Mary-Sues and its the only way someone has enough space for a SU... And I demand a single example of a SU that is very interesting but doesn't use a recycled character background, follow some stereotype,god mod, or Mary Sue, it can't be done, trust me I've tried, it's impossible.....

And as far as swearing goes, I don't know... I feel like if my character is an eighteen your old who just got beaten or punched in the face or surprised he should be allowed to swear, I know I would..... I mean its not that amazingly rare for people to swear, its only realistic as far as personalities go... I mean its a little out there but so is a magical universe filled with magical creatures that ten year old children use to **** (Chicken) fight with....

And dude your post is just fine... Don't even sweat it.....

I DO hate it when people take a chapter and completely butcher it, or get mad at an RP masters completely fair decision...

(All credit for the art goes to various artists of DeviantArt, not mine I just thought they were all so epic)
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
.Ozymandias
Child of Time

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to .Ozymandias Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ozymandias
I have to say that my two biggest gripes with roleplayers are:-

1) When there's a specific part of my character that makes the storyline you create pointless. (I had a character inable to get pregnant, and the RPer in mind got her pregnant - without even telling me. She just put it in there)

2) When a player plays every single character exactly the same.

Friend Code

A Darker Day

Team Destiny

Theme

Old July 19th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

CrystallineSeraphim? There's actually a specific discussion thread for characters and posts. You might want to try posting that there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♣♦TimelessParadox♠♥ View Post
Agh the only problem with SU's is that whether or not you realize the only interesting SUs are Mary-Sues and its the only way someone has enough space for a SU... And I demand a single example of a SU that is very interesting but doesn't use a recycled character background, follow some stereotype,god mod, or Mary Sue, it can't be done, trust me I've tried, it's impossible.....
Ask and you shall receive... (at least, manipulative sociopath born from a completely normal, healthy family is not a character type I have seen a lot of here)

Yeah, if you grossly misdefine a Mary-Sue then no, there aren't any, but the thing is...having a recycled background or one unusual trait does not immediately turn a character Sue. Mary-Sue happens when loads upon loads of improbabilities converge on a single character, usually coupled with a larger helping of blatant plagiarism, all for the purpose of making them cool. Of course there is something someone else has already done in any given character. People have been conceiving characters for generations, so it would be highly improbable that any given character type would not have already been explored by someone else. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't take a fairly regular base and put a clearly non-main stream spin on it. It may not be 100% totally original, but it will be original enough to be interesting.

A Mary Sue, the way I define it, however, is never interesting. Why? Because it usually consist of only the most blatantly overused and recycled materials without even a shred of originality or interest-creating flaws and shortcomings. It is the kind of character you will find by the dozens if you plunge into the average pile of n00b fanfiction. :\

And I'm going to throw in two of my own woes while I'm at it.

Roleplay fads

Back when I first got into RPing here, it was pokémorph RPs. Then it went to school RPs, skip ahead some and we have the trainer card craze which is still lurking around, an now it's generic journey and chapter format. Is it really so hard to...oh, I dunno', make an RP about something there isn't already a dozen RPs on? Playing with the cookier cutter is no way to be. u-u

Chapter Roleplaying

...okay, I know that RPing is sometimes called 'co-operative fanfiction', but this is taking a loose metaphor far too literally. A roleplay is not a fanfic. They are still two different genres. A fanfic is a piece of writing where the plot is at the center and the characters are made to serve it; an RP is a piece of writing where the characters are the center and the plot is made to serve them. Conventions from one side should not be imported to the other. :\

Yes, I know that writing these massive interactions that are all between your own characters is good for buffing up post length, but the bottom line is that that's not roleplaying. Roleplaying is when the characters of different players actually interact with each other. Allow me to emphasize: different players. You can write an interaction orgy with 15 of your own characters, but unless someone in there is interacting with someone else's character, it's really not roleplaying. RPing is not a one-man show; if you want that, write fanfiction.

And that is why I find the notion of restricting people to 'one post per location, then it moves on :D' is just...insane, really. You can't make any meaningful interaction out of that. Heck, you can't make interaction at all, and if there's no interaction, what we really have is not so much a roleplay as a collection of people writing mediocre fanfiction in the same thread. It defeats the whole point of a roleplay.

Just...let's keep our genres straight, shall we? Every time you call your RP post a 'chapter', one of my brain cells dies as a result of me banging my head against the keyboard. Please, have mercy on the brain cells. u_u

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Monochrome
[♠]♦]♣]♥]

Well Alter Ego I dont know.... A spiky redhaired kid who has little feelings at all accept for one thing in particular (COUGH-AXEL-COUGH) sounds kinda done to me... Especially the whole... HE WAS RICH BUT PSSHHHT HES AN EMO KID... In reality if you grow up rich the only way you would hate it is if it kept you from anything.... I dont know that sounds relatively generic to me... kind of out there... Really Really out there... but yeahs it's more origional than most SUs I've seen in my lifetime but I don't know... It still has a sense of genericism to me...

(By the way I dont mean to like shoot you down and be a jerk or anything Alter Ego, I just like making a good argument, sorry if this makes you made or something)

And about Chapter format Roleplays.... I don't know, so far in my experience I'm given a lot of freedom in those roleplays and they seem to last much longer, something about being given some sort of general direction that is constant makes me happy... In non chapter roleplays they continue to tell you what must be done but are so ague you dont know if you are making a mistake that can majorly afect the story... Very few roleplays have found a way around that, Pokemon Transformation being one... Sadly I wasnt fast enough a poster to catch up with everyone XD... In certain Chapter roleplays I've found a lot of teaming up and freedom... In §acred†Beo!'s toleplays he plays off the characters Histories and past posts in order to formulate future... Individual chapters, in which the trainers can (By request) Team up... Thats how my pair ShadowYashi teamed up and vecane friends...

(All credit for the art goes to various artists of DeviantArt, not mine I just thought they were all so epic)
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Quote:
Well Alter Ego I dont know.... A spiky redhaired kid who has little feelings at all accept for one thing in particular (COUGH-AXEL-COUGH) sounds kinda done to me... Especially the whole... HE WAS RICH BUT PSSHHHT HES AN EMO KID... In reality if you grow up rich the only way you would hate it is if it kept you from anything.... I dont know that sounds relatively generic to me... kind of out there... Really Really out there... but yeahs it's more origional than most SUs I've seen in my lifetime but I don't know... It still has a sense of genericism to me...
...let's not even talk about personality in a character who does a full 360 degree turn between games. First appearance Axel is seriously not the same as the second one in anything but apperance.

And also, that's not an emo kid you are looking at. It's a bona-fide sociopath (I got PM clarifications on his background). He's not moping over life and existence itself. He's not being 'boohoo, my parents don't understand me/abused me/whatever'; he just plain lacks empathy as a birth defect. Which is also why he was not happy with his loving family and why he's out to conquer the world. I am not even remotely seeing the Axel Resemblance here.

As for hairstyles...seriously, there is not a single even vaguely functional hairstyle in this world that's not overdone. To call a character 'generic' based on that is really going out on a limb. oO

Quote:
(By the way I dont mean to like shoot you down and be a jerk or anything Alter Ego, I just like making a good argument, sorry if this makes you made or something)
...umm, that's okay? I didn't really see your point with the comparison (as you picked a character I really wouldn't compare to this one), as you can probably see from above. So don't worry; whatever bullet you fired, it did not cause me injury. I think you need to fine-tune your aim. ;P

BUT, I shall indulge in detailed argument. And don't worry; I enjoy a good one as much as you do, so I won't cry if you won't. *kung-fu pose*

Quote:
And about Chapter format Roleplays.... I don't know, so far in my experience I'm given a lot of freedom in those roleplays and they seem to last much longer, something about being given some sort of general direction that is constant makes me happy... In non chapter roleplays they continue to tell you what must be done but are so ague you dont know if you are making a mistake that can majorly afect the story... Very few roleplays have found a way around that, Pokemon Transformation being one... Sadly I wasnt fast enough a poster to catch up with everyone XD... In certain Chapter roleplays I've found a lot of teaming up and freedom... In §acred†Beo!'s toleplays he plays off the characters Histories and past posts in order to formulate future... Individual chapters, in which the trainers can (By request) Team up... Thats how my pair ShadowYashi teamed up and vecane friends.
...I can honestly say I don't quite follow what you're trying to say here, because of purely grammatical reasons, so sorry if I'm misinterpreting you on some point below.

1. Yes, people can make mistakes, but that's what RP masters are there for; to prevent them and mop up when they do happen. It's not that hard to have a person edit their post. I've run non-chapter RPs for the entirety of my RPing time and never had them derail because of mistakes. If you were in an RP with an RP master who couldn't do their job, then that's a fault of the host; not the format.

The 'vagueness' you describe is an RPer's freedom of choice, by the way, so if you want to argue about getting 'freedoms' in RPing, I'm going to stick to my guns and say that one where you are not yanked about from one locale to another on a post count leash is by far more flexible. Also, in a well-written RP, the only 'wrong' is the kind that directly contradicts established circumstances. RP plots can be altered in mid-RP to accomodate player decisions (and often end up better and more interesting as a result of doing so). Again, there is less 'wrong' and more 'options' in non-chaptered format, because said format hasn't set a specific route everyone most follow down in stone before the first post is even made.

2. So...you are saying chaptered roleplays are good because you can make specific requests to the RP master about things that non-chaptered RPs let you do except without the need to request first? Yeeeeeah...give me a moment to figure out why that supports your point and not mine. I also seriously can't see any detailed interaction coming out of one to three posts post on each side, not unless the RPers plan out the exchange in advance and puppet each others' characters, which is just a pointlessly elaborate way of doing what non-chapter RPs do spontaneously.

3. About longevity? I don't know your record, but one of my non-chapter RPs lasted over two years. And even then, it only really went down because I myself lost interest. I'd say that's a decent lifespan, wouldn't you?

Yes, chaptered may be a bit easier on the RP master on account of being rigidly focused by default, but that ease of use comes at the penalty of offering far less RPer freedom, far lower quality of interaction, and generally cutting down on all the things that differentitate RPs from Fanfiction to begin with. The only reason a non-chaptered one would do worse is because of incompetence on the RP master's part, but then...incompetence is not something you can get rid of without allowing yourself the possibility to make mistakes and correct them.

...so yeah, if you wish to make a good argument, please do so. This one does not yet convince.

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Monochrome
[♠]♦]♣]♥]

(I'm sorry for my terrible grammar, I'm really sick right now and couldn't get any sleep last night. I will try my best to make it so I don't make to many others.)

Quote:
1. Yes, people can make mistakes, but that's what RP masters are there for; to prevent them and mop up when they do happen. It's not that hard to have a person edit their post. I've run non-chapter RPs for the entirety of my RPing time and never had them derail because of mistakes. If you were in an RP with an RP master who couldn't do their job, then that's a fault of the host; not the format.
What I meant for Non-chapter format roleplays is that many RP Masters have a specific plan for exactly what they want to happen in the roleplay but then end up leaving it open for many of the Roleplayers. It isn't the format that is the problem, with a good RP master and a good story the roleplay can succeed. More often than not sadly that isn't the case and people either overpower themselves by breaking the roleplays rules or going against the RP master initial idea. I've also noticed that non-chapter roleplays tend to lead to bunnying and conflict among the roleplayers. I do agree with you in a sense about this one.<--- Once again this is all from my own experiences.

Quote:
2. So...you are saying chapter roleplays are good because you can make specific requests to the RP master about things that non-chaptered RPs let you do except without the need to request first? Yeeeeeah...give me a moment to figure out why that supports your point and not mine. I also seriously can't see any detailed interaction coming out of one to three posts post on each side, not unless the RPers plan out the exchange in advance and puppet each others' characters, which is just a pointlessly elaborate way of doing what non-chapter RPs do spontaneously.
That wasn't what I was trying to say at all, but I can understand why you would think that it was. I was merely trying to say there is a level of interaction in chapter roleplays too and saying that there isn't is just completely ridiculous...

Quote:
3. About longevity? I don't know your record, but one of my non-chapter RPs lasted over two years. And even then, it only really went down because I myself lost interest. I'd say that's a decent lifespan, wouldn't you?
I see, you've also probably been roleplaying much longer than I and have much more experience, in my experience though my longest roleplay lasted about 5 or 6 months (I think XD) and was in chapter format. I guess I have just been much more lucky with chapter format.

Your a very aggressive arguer XD

(I'm sorry if I said one was better than the other.. I don't think I ever said that but meh... PS- I'm really enjoying this argument but this is starting to deviate from the subject of this section.. I know your moderator but is it cool if we clog this thread with our Argument? Would you rather continue it in PMing or do you think its relevant enough?)

Old July 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Quote:
(I'm sorry for my terrible grammar, I'm really sick right now and couldn't get any sleep last night. I will try my best to make it so I don't make to many others.)
Oh dear, that would explain it wouldn't it...

...well, that's appreciated. ^^

Quote:
What I meant for Non-chapter format roleplays is that many RP Masters have a specific plan for exactly what they want to happen in the roleplay but then end up leaving it open for many of the Roleplayers. It isn't the format that is the problem, with a good RP master and a good story the roleplay can succeed. More often than not sadly that isn't the case and people either overpower themselves by breaking the roleplays rules or going against the RP master initial idea. I've also noticed that non-chapter roleplays tend to lead to bunnying and conflict among the roleplayers. I do agree with you in a sense about this one.<--- Once again this is all from my own experiences.
Well, again, this is where the mettle of the RP master is tested. Yes, derailment can happen, but that's the point where the RP master must put their whip to good use and bring the RPers back into line. My problem with chapter format still is the rigidity. It's got this narrowly defined path like one of the GBA games where whatever 'decisions' you make have no overall impact on the storyline. Eh...tried that format out to get the first-hand experience, and I just found it stifling and frustrating, to be honest. It was like 'why am I even here? I'm not making anything happen.'.

Quote:
That wasn't what I was trying to say at all, but I can understand why you would think that it was. I was merely trying to say there is a level of interaction in chapter roleplays too and saying that there isn't is just completely ridiculous...
Fair enough. Saying that there is 'none' was tactical exaggeration on my part, though I've had a certain experience that came very close. I do maintain, however, that interaction (which is still the big thing that separates roleplaying from fanfiction) is horribly downplayed and restricted in chapter RPing, and bringing in the concept of 'chapters' is, to me, blurring that line which should be kept clear. I like roleplaying and I like fanfiction, but I like being able to tell the difference between them too.

Quote:
I see, you've also probably been roleplaying much longer than I and have much more experience, in my experience though my longest roleplay lasted about 5 or 6 months (I think XD) and was in chapter format. I guess I have just been much more lucky with chapter format.
That could well be the case. I've had experiences of these pretty much all the way from the aforementioned two years (and a fair bit of plus I can't be bothered to count) to RPs that died within a week, so yeah, it does vary. But again, that's mostly RP master behavior and partly chance, so I'd wager it's pretty much independent of format.

Quote:
Your a very aggressive arguer XD
So I've been told, yes. Massive dissection quotes of doom. I do try to be thorough about what I disagree on. ;P

Quote:
(I'm sorry if I said one was better than the other.. I don't think I ever said that but meh... PS- I'm really enjoying this argument but this is starting to deviate from the subject of this section.. I know your moderator but is it cool if we clog this thread with our Argument? Would you rather continue it in PMing or do you think its relevant enough?)
Mmm...I'd say we're pretty much on topic still. This wouldn't be the first time this thread has been used for arguing matters, and we're discussing whether or not my point there is a valid 'bad habit', so I'd say we're still spot on (not to mention that seeing some healthy debate on the matter could be educational for our spectators). Don't think anyone could call us off-topic based on this.

But hey, I'm easy. Just send your responses whatever way you prefer and we'll continue down that road.

Old July 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Monochrome
[♠]♦]♣]♥]

It seems at this point we have both began agreeing with each other. I feel that both Free-Form (As I call them) and Chapter Roleplays have their ups and downs, it's all about preferences I guess. I'd say if your looking for a Roleplay similar to a game than Chapter Roleplaying is the way to go, if your looking to have more of an influence over the storyline of the Roleplay then Free-Form is superior. In the end it always comes down to these things. A good Roleplay Master, a good strong plot, a group of people who are intrested in what actually happens in the roleplay, and luck.

(I pretty much feel like the comments you made just then were all justified, I'm sorry if anything I said didn't make sense but once again sort of wiped right now)

Old July 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
GodofPH
Submarket Zydrate Dealer

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to GodofPH Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GodofPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Roleplay fads

Back when I first got into RPing here, it was pokémorph RPs. Then it went to school RPs, skip ahead some and we have the trainer card craze which is still lurking around, an now it's generic journey and chapter format. Is it really so hard to...oh, I dunno', make an RP about something there isn't already a dozen RPs on? Playing with the cookier cutter is no way to be. u-u
This is easy to explain: If you want people to join your RP, post an RP that people will want to join. If you want to do something truly amazing and worthwhile, you can think of something revolutionary and new and possibly start a fad of your own. If you want some quick and easy SUs in your RP, go along with whatever the current fad is.

I do signature banner requests. PM me if you are interested. (1/2)
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
CrystallineSeraphim
Awakened of Eternal Destiny

Nature: Naive
Hmmm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego
Well, again, this is where the mettle of the RP master is tested. Yes, derailment can happen, but that's the point where the RP master must put their whip to good use and bring the RPers back into line. My problem with chapter format still is the rigidity. It's got this narrowly defined path like one of the GBA games where whatever 'decisions' you make have no overall impact on the storyline. Eh...tried that format out to get the first-hand experience, and I just found it stifling and frustrating, to be honest. It was like 'why am I even here? I'm not making anything happen.'.
Hmm... I seriously can't wait until they actually release a Pokemon game where your character's actions in the game actively influence the main storyline... Neverwinter Nights 2 has it down pat... but sometimes I have a hell of a hard time trying to come up with the storyline of an roleplay... I am having an abyssial time trying to work on the Roleplay of my Kingdom Hearts roleplaying guild on Gaia Online... i am trying to make a better version of a idea of Kingdom Hearts Roleplay where there is a new organization that rizes from the ashes of Organization XIII... but I am getting off topic... but it seriously getting annoying how many roleplays have a freaking evil organization with the word "Team" in their name... that is always happening in the main storyline of the Pokemon Anime... Hopefully the Pokemon: inner Spirit RP won't have that problem... I can create random acts of chaos with my NPC characters... as my character Hikaru's chaotic and slightly insane brother Makoto is a high-ranking member of the enemy organization in Inner Spirit... although they haven't appeared yet. Most of the time... it depends dramatically on whether you can come up with really good sub-plots to keep people interested... and no.. not like sidequests
"Memories awaken within the soul, reborn within the mind, occasionally lost to the winds of fate, yet our songs of hope rekindle our memories, and yet man thinks they are bound by destiny, but the truth is... no man is bound by the strands of fate.

I am reborn, within the song of eternity, the trees of my home of Neichaa no Kanshisha awaken me once more, embracing the songs of nature and Nature's embrace, and so the same with the embrace of our goddess, Gaia, Spirit of the Earth, she is the mother of all Ijutsu, the one who gave us hope and sheltered us from the winds of war. Memories let me scan the records of the past, what is written and what is not, yet my hope is eternal, with Kawaige by my side and my Spirit Chain allowing me to strike from afar, the power of the Ijutsu will arise once more."

Hikaru Lyoko Tsukinoki Kimimoto, Ijutsu Shuhan, Age 14, Ijutsu Tribe.

~ Join Gaia Online and then join the most beautiful fantasy/post-modern timeline roleplaying Guild ~
Awakening of Dreams
Guild Captain - Lanfaer {Zenbi Tribe Shuhan}; Vice Captains - The Kingdom Keeper, Mavarick Hunter Zero, Master of the Hellfire;
Moderators - Crystalline Seraphim {Ijutsu Tribe Shuhan}, Rednal {Sage Wanderer}, Hakizimana Lao Tzu {Shahou Tribe Shuhan }, Rhaegar14 {Kensaki Tribe Shuhan}, Stu-Stu13 {Majutsu Tribe Shuhan}, RikusDusk, Nejura {Kyoushu Tribe Shuhan}

Old July 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
liveitout
What? Where?

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ozymandias View Post
(I had a character inable to get pregnant, and the RPer in mind got her pregnant - without even telling me. She just put it in there)
She got you character pregnant without your consent? Ouchie. Sounds like virtual rape. (Probably not what you meant, though.)

Tendrils spreading wide,
Oh bastion of urban sprawl
Fill us with your grace.

Last edited by liveitout; July 19th, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Mika
もえじゃないも

Nature: Timid
KK SO.

[start rant]

I cannot stand it when people ditch roleplays for extended periods of time for illegitimate reasons. CANNOT STAND. Now, I'm not referring to things like surgery or real life absences as I've taken several extended leaves both planned and unplanned before. I'm simply talking about people who say they're going to be gone for a short period of time and stay away a ridiculous time after that. But, they don't stay away from PC in their abscence like a good person would. They just stay away from my roleplay.

Guys, there's NO HARM in dropping out of a roleplay if you have no time, but if you're going to go away and you decide, while you go away, that you don't want to come back, maybe, please, pretty please, tell the rp master that so he or she can move the plot along and it doesn't become backlogged? It's UNBELIEVABLY rude to keep people waiting because you're too busy posting in every other thread under the sun except for the one that's waiting on you. There's a HUGE difference between poofing off the entire site for a month and poofing off a thread for a month. >> You hold up roleplays, hell, you can KILL roleplays in doing that because people are waiting around for someone who's never going to be show up. >> -grumbles-

[/end rant]
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Zeph.
Casual Player, Silly Username

Nature: Lax
ONE LINERS!!

Ugghh... 'nuff said

/ω´ 3`)。
Old September 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
namora
Clone 489024-9

Location: In a top secret lab, off the coast of Madagascar. Oops...
Nature: Relaxed
I can't believe that I haven't gone in here until now, but I guess that shows how unobservant I am. *Slaps forehead* Anyway, I've got some that I don't believe, though I could easily be mistaken, haven't been discussed yet. I've obviously made up my own names for this stuff, but I didn't know any proper names for them.

Paragraphs?: I've seen a few recent examples of people who give nice, long posts, but they're only one or two paragraphs. Really long paragraphs. Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with them, but they are frankly very boring to read and even confusing. Isn't there a reason that paragraphs were invented?

When I see a huge, unbroken chunk of writing, I, shamefully, want nothing more than to skip it and go onto something else. (By the way, I love to read.) Some of them do use the Enter key, but they only press it once, so it still looks like one huge paragraph. I guess its just something that somehow, for the most part, hardwired into human beings, but I don't know. Anyway, it's good to have a new paragraph everytime the topic or person speaking changes

Double-spaced Madness: I don't know if I'm the only one who's bothered by this or not, but I've seen some people write a post similarly to the way that teachers want their papers written: double-spaced. The major difference is that there is no indentation or any other indication of where a new paragraph has been formed, so once again, It's confusing and boring.

Are we writing plays now?: HATEITHATEITHATEIT Ok, sorry I'm done. Anyway I've actually seen someone posting an RP sample like this, and worse, it was accepted. (By the way, I made this up, so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specific):

Alex: Hey, how're things going. (faces Paige)
Paige: (Smiles) Fine. Want to go see a movie today?
Alex: Alright.

Not exactly Shakespeare, but you get the idea. How can you tell how well someone writes from this.

He said, she said..... huh?: I've seen gripes about using said too much, which I completely agree with, but I've got something a little different in mind. It's when there's a wall of dialogue, only the first two lines or whatever actually say who's speaking. I mean, you don't have to do it everytime a character speaks, but it gets confusing if you actually have to start counting dialogues to keep track:

"Dialogue," he said
"Dialogue," she said.
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"

Get's confusing and boring after a while doesn't it?

I've got more, but I'll save it for next time.

Old September 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM
fire woven
Erif Nevow, my RP name

Nature: Serious
Quote:
He said, she said..... huh?: I've seen gripes about using said too much, which I completely agree with, but I've got something a little different in mind. It's when there's a wall of dialogue, only the first two lines or whatever actually say who's speaking. I mean, you don't have to do it everytime a character speaks, but it gets confusing if you actually have to start counting dialogues to keep track:

"Dialogue," he said
"Dialogue," she said.
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"

Get's confusing and boring after a while doesn't it?

I've got more, but I'll save it for next time.
I agre on that its very hard to keep track of it. Very much so for me as I am visually disabled to an extent and it is hard for me to keep track. i will admit I have done that on a much shorter scale such as:

"Dialogue" He said
"Dialogue" She said
"Diaolaug"
"Dialoaug"
"Dialoaug"

So it is not to hard to follow if you see my point.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here