The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichu View Post
That's why I'm trying to recruit some OW spriters to help out. One thing I noticed is that nearly all Pokémon fangames, even if the rest of the graphics are custom, use OWs from an existing game. Even Kyledove's MMORPG, despite otherwise being completely custom, uses D/P style OWs. I thought I should change that.
It's just the hassle of it all ya know. Edits are common, but scratch overworld (in terms of style I mean) has never really been done (I remember seeing a game about a year ago that has a new style, but noone ever got past making a hero sprite)

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
mulch_ar
What should I type here?

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mulch_ar
Phew...(After hours of reading from the beginning)

Wow, It's excelent! And I've a question:
1. Could I change the screen size bigger? Because it's too small for me (I played Scarlet). The size is same, right?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Amethyst uses DS resolution, while Scarlet uses GBA resolution, so it will be slightly bigger.
But there will be an option to increase the screen size; it was in Scarlet as well, but I'll make it clearer in Amethyst.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
Hauyser
http://hauyser.deviant.com/

Nature: Timid
Holy crap, this game looks awesome. I really can't wait for the release! Hurry! But don't rush it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Vampire://Krimm
→ clocks everywhere →

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vampire://Krimm
heey, Wichu, I was wondering where exactly your progress is? I'm not asking for when it will be done and stuff like that, but like..where you are with mapping and eventing, that sort of stuff. Just curiosity :o
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Mapping-wise, I'm doing the 4th town/city. I still need to make indoor maps for the 3rd, though.
I've done the events for the very start of the game; around half the routes so far have their trainers done, but are otherwise devoid of NPCs, which I will fix. The towns, other than the starting town, also need NPCs.

The major barrier to a release, though, is spriting. I'm doing OK with Pokémon front sprites, but I haven't done many back sprites yet. Also, switching over to the new OW style will take a while.

Finally, I need to sort out the rest of the menus to match the battle menus in terms of appearance and functionality. This is also going to take quite long, as there's quite a lot of menus to do... Load menu, Start menu, Pokédex, Pokémon menu, Items menu, PokéComm menu (similar to the Pokénav), Option menu... At least I thought to make a separate class for the buttons which can be used in all of them (includes stuff like fading out unselected ones and lighting up when you press C).
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Anuhrima
Darkness and Rebirth

I thought that you were deep into this game

Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
<~F.M.P~>
I got you whistling Blue Box!

Nature: Mild
Send a message via AIM to <~F.M.P~> Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to <~F.M.P~>
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
Lol. Well either way It's still going steady, and with everything he's put into this game. The wait will be extremely worth it. Can't wait to see what the first bit of the games like Wichu.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Vampire://Krimm
→ clocks everywhere →

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vampire://Krimm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
For how long he's been working on it? That is fairly deep lol. With how much script editing and eventing he's most likely doing, each area takes time and patience to make it good, and everything has to flow together.

You've got some pretty good progress it seems, especially with all of those custom systems XD
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
TheRexion
Elite Trainer

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheRexion
Am I being completely ignored?
Well whatever, Still keep up the awsome work Wichu!
Old December 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hamako-chan
Our unbreakable bond...

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Hamako-chan Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hamako-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Hamako-chan
wow this game looking great Wichu!!!
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hardy Har Har
Oh dear, oh my...

Send a message via Yahoo to Hardy Har Har Send a message via Skype™ to Hardy Har Har
Quote:
Mapping-wise, I'm doing the 4th town/city. I still need to make indoor maps for the 3rd, though.
I've done the events for the very start of the game; around half the routes so far have their trainers done, but are otherwise devoid of NPCs, which I will fix. The towns, other than the starting town, also need NPCs.

The major barrier to a release, though, is spriting. I'm doing OK with Pokémon front sprites, but I haven't done many back sprites yet. Also, switching over to the new OW style will take a while.

Finally, I need to sort out the rest of the menus to match the battle menus in terms of appearance and functionality. This is also going to take quite long, as there's quite a lot of menus to do... Load menu, Start menu, Pokédex, Pokémon menu, Items menu, PokéComm menu (similar to the Pokénav), Option menu... At least I thought to make a separate class for the buttons which can be used in all of them (includes stuff like fading out unselected ones and lighting up when you press C).
I have an idea. When it comes to Pokémon front sprites (DP Pokémon only) try sketching their pose from the TCG. Then after sketching them, scan them (you can use your cellphone with Bluetooth and camera to photo the sketch and send it to your computer via Bluetooth) and sprite them using Paint.NET. Just a suggestion.
I support:
Attention, all Fire Pokémon Fans! There is now a game for you, known as Pokémon Flame of Destiny! Click the userbar to go there:

My deviantArt
My GPX+ eggs
My friend's eggs
My RMXP Pokémon fangame website (under construction)
Shoddy Battle - Hardy_SSC4: 5/23
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy Typhlosion View Post
I have an idea. When it comes to Pokémon front sprites (DP Pokémon only) try sketching their pose from the TCG. Then after sketching them, scan them (you can use your cellphone with Bluetooth and camera to photo the sketch and send it to your computer via Bluetooth) and sprite them using Paint.NET. Just a suggestion.
It's not the drawing that's time-consuming, it's the actual spriting. I can draw pretty well, so I don't need to copy poses from cards etc.

Oh, and TheRexion, I can't make the eyes any closer together without making it look really weird. If you can come up with a way, show me!
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Myzou
Lost and Confused xD

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Myzou Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Myzou Send a message via Yahoo to Myzou
Well, I can sprite pretty good with a base thing to look off of, but things like cards and such, not so much... lol, I'm better with basic lines :P

Anyways, it's nice to see this is still alive Wichu! :D

Old December 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hardy Har Har
Oh dear, oh my...

Send a message via Yahoo to Hardy Har Har Send a message via Skype™ to Hardy Har Har
I wonder what's the resolution size for the DS?
I support:
Attention, all Fire Pokémon Fans! There is now a game for you, known as Pokémon Flame of Destiny! Click the userbar to go there:

My deviantArt
My GPX+ eggs
My friend's eggs
My RMXP Pokémon fangame website (under construction)
Shoddy Battle - Hardy_SSC4: 5/23
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

really? why would you ask that here.
Just google it.
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
Well, I can sprite pretty good with a base thing to look off of, but things like cards and such, not so much... lol, I'm better with basic lines :P
I agree, it is a lot easier when you don't have extra detail in your way. Most of mine are done from basic pencil sketches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy Typhlosion View Post
I wonder what's the resolution size for the DS?
Yeah, you shouldn't really be asking that here. But I'll tell you anyway; it's 256x192. You know you could just have measured a screenshot, right?

Oh, and this is my 210th post! I missed my 1000th, but this is good as well :P
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ghidoran
Beginning Trainer

Looks nice! The new pokemon look very pokemon-ish, unlike most hacks I've seen. Keep up the good work!
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Incase you didn't know, this isn't a hack. You compared it to a hack, so i assume you think it is one. Just trying to clear things up :P
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Beat me to it AR.

Yup game, and always will be =P
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
*morningstar
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via AIM to *morningstar
I just registered an account to post this - this game looks amazing! So professional. I love how you are open to community suggestions and constructive criticism. It shows how committed you are to making the best game that you can. The new overworld tiles are really very nice. I like the detailed, desaturated style compared to D/P/Pt that are very bright.

I'm very excited for a beta.
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:08 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
How many Pokemon will Amethyst have? Will it have all 493 plus fakes, or some condensed number?
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:12 AM
P!chu17
Spanish Hacker

This game is really good. I support. I cannot wait for realese!

Spoiler:

Old December 29th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMooseWeTrust View Post
How many Pokemon will Amethyst have? Will it have all 493 plus fakes, or some condensed number?
Nope, I'm not going to make every single Pokémon catchable. There will probably be either 200 or 250 in the regional Pokédex. However, there will be methods of obtaining the unobtainable Pokémon, which I'm not going to go into now.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Quote:
Nope, I'm not going to make every single Pokémon catchable. There will probably be either 200 or 250 in the regional Pokédex. However, there will be methods of obtaining the unobtainable Pokémon, which I'm not going to go into now.
That sounds like an insane amount of work. I would just keep the number of Pokémon low to keep things simple.

Also, if you're interested, I have a renumbered national dex that accounts for evolutions found in later generations. Here's a spreadsheet with an early version of my work: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...1SmoXddNg5EfRA

Ignore the type and ability columns. Those were just me brainstorming.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links