The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive

Advertise here
I know I said I'd update 2 days ago, but unfortunately, there were a few setbacks. Also, I didn't want the update to get lost at the bottom of the previous page... But anyway, here it is!

As I said, I've been working on the Pokédex. Does anyone remember when I did an update on it? That was a few months ago.

So, what's changed? First off, the animation is a bit better, and the frame rate now stays consistently high. Instead of the entries being arranged in two diagonal lines, as previously, they're now in a smooth curve.
More importantly, though, I've done some of the graphics for the actual Pokédex entries. Those being the Info and Area pages.

Anyone familiar with Essentials will know that the area is bought up by pressing C on the Info page, like in FR/LG. I've recoded that part to be more like R/S/E/D/P; the different functions of the Pokédex are now on different pages which can be changed using the arrow keys.

The first page is the standard Info page. For this update, I've replaced all 386 GBA Pokémon entries with their Emerald entries.* The D/P entries are too short, so will be rewritten. I'll probably eventually rewrite the Emerald entries, too. Secondly, I've added the Pokémon's type, which is missing from the Pokédex in Essentials. And finally, I've resized* and added each Pokémon's footprint, thanks to legendarypokemon.net.

The Area function has been upgraded too, in both looks and functionality. The area highlights now fade in and out, and "Area Unknown" is displayed in the centre of the screen. The town map has been revamped, and a border added. Function-wise, I've modified it to display locations correctly on large routes spanning multiple tiles on the town map; this was rather tricky for routes with turns in them, such as Route 50 (north-east of Hazelet Town).

Finally, I've implemented a regional dex which is independent of the national dex. The screenshots and animations don't contain any new Pokémon; however, they reveal some of the old Pokémon returning in Amethyst.

A few things are still missing; notably the words "Shika Pokédex" which are at the top of the old animation, and the "Z: Search" text at the bottom. The current dex isn't final; those will be added eventually. There is a small glitch where the "é" character doesn't display; I'm hoping to have this fixed soon.

And, what you've all been waiting for: screenshots!
Spoiler:

The Info page in the Pokédex. I created a script which applies an 'emboss' effect to the footprint.

Area Unknown? Damn, I wanted a Heracross...

The revamped Shika region map, complete with border.

Which still supports zooming.

The Pokédex animation; you may notice that it's a lot smoother than previous animations. This is because I found a way to decrease the slowdown when using the animation script.

Transition between main Pokédex screen and a Pokédex entry. Also shows the Area animation.

You may have noticed that the sprites have been recoloured; if you did, you have a good eye for detail. All Pokémon sprites in Amethyst will be recoloured slightly.

Spoiler:
*Whenever you see me boast about accomplishing a long and tedious task, chances are that I actually wrote a script to do it for me :P
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
Beautiful! Wow, very nice updates, Wichu! It looks wonderful, everything is smoother and a lot lighter to the eye. I love the Pokédex animation, as well, and the Region Map looks a lot better. Very nice job, Wichu!

Also, have you already implemented that NPC I sprited for you? And were there any errors or oddities?
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Wichu, if there is a game developer of the year award someday, you deserve it.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Vampire://Krimm
→ clocks everywhere →
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vampire://Krimm
@____@

-sits on ground and blinks-

Beautifully done! You could easily put numerous people out of business with an update like that XD The animations are a nice touch, and the PokeDex set up is just gorgeous~!

Well done Wichu <33
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
PokemonOI
Back To WORK!

Nature: Brave
^lol what krimm said. that is gorgeous man!keep it up.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Thanks for the encouragement. Esmas, the NPC is good, but a bit too short; he's an adult man, yet the same height as the player. Maybe make him a pixel or two taller? Also, is there any chance of you spriting him in his original clothes, rather than your ones?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed
Excellent overall style to it Wichu. I loved the animation of the dex "flowing" (yes- I just used that word to describe it lol).
Also, new version of the region map? Looks much better.
Love everything you do in this game. Huge supporter.
Good job.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
wow. the pokedex screen is mazing ^_^
keep up the marvelous work :)
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Fangking Omega
Acanthite founder

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Fangking Omega
Whoa... exceptional. Simply exceptional. Incredible work on that Dex, I can't think of another game developer who's achieved what you've achieved.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
GuyNamedSean
Cobalt Scizor

I will help with spriting!
Do you have a list of Pokemon that are sprite-less?
If not I'll just start with the Bug-types.

!!!SEANSCIZOR!!! YES! I HAVE EVOLVED!!!

Yes, the Scyther and Quilava are RED with BLUE highlights...
No, I'm not crazy... I think...

Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichu View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. Esmas, the NPC is good, but a bit too short; he's an adult man, yet the same height as the player. Maybe make him a pixel or two taller? Also, is there any chance of you spriting him in his original clothes, rather than your ones?
Ah, yes. I forgot that the template you gave me was for the hero. I'll change it when I can. Good luck, Wichu.
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
the main male hero character looks like Richie, lol
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

GuyNamedSean, if you'd like to help, PM me some examples of sprites you've done before, so I can see whether you're good enough.

Anyway, I've been working on the Pokédex script again. I've slightly revised the appearance, and added the Cry and Size pages. They're not finished yet; however, I'll show some screens of the Size page anyway.

New appearance; better or worse? I'm going to re-add the Seen and Owned text, as well as the other missing text, later.

The Size screen compares the size of a Pokémon's sprite with the trainer sprite, as well as the Pokémon's and trainer's actual heights, to display the silhouettes correctly. It works for both large and small Pokémon. The Pokémon and trainer's height will be displayed at the bottom.

However, the script is inaccurate when dealing with snake-like Pokémon with long bodies, as their 'height' is actually the length of the extended body. Since the body is usually curled up or otherwise posed to fit the 64x64 limit, the script calculates the wrong size. There's nothing I can really do about it; for now, just avoid giant Gyarados.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Here are my two cents: Instead of using the size of the sprite, try using/writing a system that compares the measured height in the Pokédex entry to the height of the trainer, and have the sprites scaled accordingly. That could be a bit more accurate.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:53 AM
LightBender
Trainer of the PokerMans

whoah, how did you do the menu thing, it must take one heck of a hack to do that! :O
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Mitchman
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Hasty
This sint a hack buddy. Anyway wow giant gyarados. I so want one. Ailstars theory is correct in a way try it. Also man if you cant then i can wait to see what happens for pokemon like seviper.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

The size is already based on the Pokédex size. However, it has to be based partly on the sprites, as a Pokémon with a small sprite would appear too small otherwise.
The resize takes into account the dimensions of the image file (usually 128x128), the height of the actual sprite (i.e. not counting pixel rows with only transparent pixels), the height of the trainer sprite, the height given in the Pokédex, and the trainer's height (currently the same as in D/P; i.e. 1.4m).
It's an issue with how the Pokédex height is measured on long Pokémon and their poses in the sprites, not with the script. If I resprited Gyarados with its head at the top, tail at the bottom, and body straightened out, it would appear at the correct size. However, it would then look really really awkward; would you rather have a slightly inaccurate Size page, or a ridiculous sprite appearing in battle, the summary screen, and Pokédex? :P

Unless I can get hold of the data controlling this used in R/S/E, I'll leave it like this.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
ChronicEdge
Space Lion

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to ChronicEdge
This looks better than sex. A question, though: When will we be able to actually download a demo or beta?

As always, thank you, PC'ers, for tolerating the crap that comes out of my mouth.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Anuhrima
Darkness and Rebirth

don't ask that kind of question. he is working at a steady pace

Old January 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
<<Haruki Adachi>>
Oh how heroes have fallen

I can't wait for it
This will be a game I support
anyways if you need any Attack Names,City Names,or NPC Names just PM me

Old January 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Vampire://Krimm
→ clocks everywhere →
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vampire://Krimm
Nice update~ :D Annoying problem though.

And personally, I prefer the first design on the PokeDex. Dunno why, but I like the new way as well. I guess it just reminds me a bit more of R/S/E for some reason @-@

Anywho, keep it up <3
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire://Krimm View Post
And personally, I prefer the first design on the PokeDex.
Anywho, keep it up <3
I agree.
I liked the first one more. The brownish whiney colour really looked well.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Rabla
Master of the Keyblade

wow this game is the best one i have seen anywhere

wichu, DONT EVER give up on this

ill be taking a supporter userbar now......
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicEdge View Post
This looks better than sex.
No, it's not!

On-topic: I'd rather have a screw-up Pokedex than a scrwe-up Gyarados sprite...
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Okay, I'll add that back in. Thanks for the support and feedback!

EDIT: This any better?

Ignore the seen and caught numbers, I forgot to tell it to only count the regional dex Pokémon :P

Last edited by Wichu; January 5th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here