Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates
Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Avey
Enter The Slasher House

I (like Hicky, whom I got the idea for this thread from) have the annoying habit of imagining people as their avatars, and when someone like TK (or Trainer Kat to those not aware of my often used abbreviation) changes her avatar daily, she just begins to become a haze when I look at her posts.

Is this with everyone, or just me? Discuss.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
Imagine them AS their avatar? Well, no. XD;

But if you mean associate them/their posts with their avatars, then definitely. Avatars are usually the first thing I notice, and I remember certain avatars with certain people. o3o
x paired with sylphiel x
x I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment x
x changelog x
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Gerri Shin
  

Nature: Modest
I wouldn't say I imagine them AS their avatar, however If I haven't seen a picture of them I will usually associate thier avatar or a person in their sig as them.
Equipment:
Custom PC, MacBook Pro (MBPr), 3DSxl Blue, 3DS Midnight Purple, iPhone 4S Green
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM
marz
ô.o
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think the signature is more representative of someone on the forums. Some people on the forums actually dedicate time into their signature, making it look the best they can, and it's honestly what they like. An avatar is just a square picture that is sometimes just taken away from the banner itself.

I don't notice the avatar very much.. if I'm about to read a post from someone, or if I already have and thought it was interesting, I'll just look at the username. XD;;
like competitive team fortress 2? check out my blog!

everlasting rivalry with murderface +
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Lady Nicole
hello o.o

Nature: Naive
lol I hope no-one does this to me, I don't particularly want to be imagined as a Drifloon XD I mean, Drifloon is cute, but I don't really want to be one o.O

Anyway, I wouldn't say I imagine people to literally look like their avatars (lmao), but I associate their avatar with them, if you get what I mean. Not like... actually imagining they are their avatar or anything

Credit to aragornbird for the Cresselia image

Nicole is happy
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Cassino
no

If there's nothing else to go by, I generally will see some kind of heavy association with a person and their avatar.

On my avatar, I'm not actually a girl who plays a violin, but feel free to see me as such.
DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Zion042
BattleLegend

I think the avatars say something about themselves to because your right they chose it so its them actually just like mine i love Tyranitars which is sorta like a dragon and its a dark type.
This signature has been disabled.
Signature is 108 pixels over the height limit.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Chibi-chan
The Freshmaker!
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Yes! I do actually imagine people as their avatar some of the time!
Usually if it's a theme they've used for a long time or something memorable.
Someone has told me before that they imagine me as 2k-tan from a theme I used a lot awhile back. Yeah, I view people as their avatar sometimes :x

2k-tan~

/ / ////
Spaekle Oddberry
this is why i'm hot

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Spaekle Oddberry
Of course I'm a Toxicroak! Come on, what else would I be?

But, yeah, I do that too. Haha. It's weird when their avatar is a character from something I recognize, because then I'll start associating that character's face with them. And it's also strange when a person doesn't really have any kind of animate object in their avatar, because then I just imagine them as some sort of... shapeless essence or something? Perhaps some sort of vague human figure with facial details I can't make out?
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
Chibi, I think I imagine you as 2k-tan. XD

I associate people with their signatures, not their avatars. So the people who change their signatures and avatars every day? They bother me a lot because I have nothing concrete to associate them with. (Especially since they're usually the types to change their name every chance they get, too.)

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old March 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Warheart
Gym Leader

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Warheart Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Warheart Send a message via Skype™ to Warheart
I don't really..jusge people based on whatever theme/avy they're using. I mean, yeah, it gives you a general idea of what their interests are, but it doesn't really..say anything about the person's attitude ._.

I prefer to see what they're like through what they say..or type, or whatever.

..Like right now, having realized that signatures are totally un-Metal, I'm not using one anymore, so no one can judge me by what it is <_<
I've left PC.

Why? I'm tired of all the people here who think they're cooler than they actually are, I'm tired of the way certain people get away with things, just because they're friends with the staff here, I'm tired of all the raging teen-angst contained within these forums I'm tired of the way no one knows how to take a joke anymore, I'm tired of how I've been treated by the people I've thought to be my "friends" here, and I'm tired of all the unwanted drama PC has caused in my life over the past several months.

Plus, Pokemon just sucks anyways.

If you want to reach me for any reason, contact me at "[email protected]"
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
Yeah, I'm totally a loli character cosplaying as a Mantyke :P

But yeah, I sometimes tend to form an idea about what a person looks like concerning their avatar, though it's more like I just associate them with it.
CHILL OUT DUDES, I GOT THIS
Paired with Juicy.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
.:LemonTea:.
omg. heart attack. o.o

I odn't really imagine people as their avatars, but I when I see someone's avatar I'll be like "yea...that's Bob since his avatar is like that." When someone gets a new avatar along with a new name, I will have trouble recognizing them at all. An avatar is just another way for me to recognize who the person is.
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Azonic
pls stop talking to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I don't really imagine people as their avatar. I just think that a person's avatar suits their personality ... maybe. =D
wat
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Andelc
Cool Trainer Alex

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Raichu View Post
I (like Hicky, whom I got the idea for this thread from) have the annoying habit of imagining people as their avatars, and when someone like TK (or Trainer Kat to those not aware of my often used abbreviation) changes her avatar daily, she just begins to become a haze when I look at her posts.

Is this with everyone, or just me? Discuss.
???

I thought thats what you were supposed to do
(thats what I do anyways)
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Tater Tot
I used to be popular here~

Nature: Lax
No, I don't imagine them as their avy's because I have a Cheese Avy. Although my friends call me Cheese doesn't mean that I look like Cheese. The person a post ago has a Kabutops as their Avy, they cannot look like a Kabutops. XD Also Clade: I think Avy's are supposed to suit people's personality too. My personality is just like Cheese. XD
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

I actaully do the same thing. Right know, Hazuki is a plant to me xD
Pokemon Copper Version - Now on PC!
New pokemon, new region, new adventure!

i am a graphic designer :: want to help me w/ pokemon copper?
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Trainer Kat
→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;

Send a message via AIM to Trainer Kat Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trainer Kat
xDD I do NOT change my theme every day, Mr. Oni~!

But yes. For a while, I just sort of...pictured you as the boy in your signature when he was your avatar as well. Well, I'm having a hard time picturing you as a cheetah with a top hat, but...at least I know it's you when I see that avatar.

Long story short--
If you have a person as your avatar (like 雀), that's how I will visualize you.
Unless...y'know...you're a girl with a guy as your avatar...

I'm slightly stuck-up and aesthetics-obsessed, so it's highly unlikely you'll see me use anything but shiny Pokemon.
Deal with it. :]
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Gummy
by fire be P U R G E D
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Naughty
Long story short--

I feel exactly the same way. I also tend to generate possible personalities based on someone's avatar, username and sig. I can spot a noob from a mile away!

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
BeachBoy
S P A R K of madness
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Interesting thread, and actually I do it sometimes...

I'm not exactly sure on the factors and everything, but some when I person doesnt post a picture in the "post you thread" then I just go by what ever is out there, but in other ties I know a person so well by their posts that I can somewhat imagine what they look like.

So yeah sort of case by case. Though yes, sometimes I go by avatar.
credit to marii
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Avey
Enter The Slasher House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Kat View Post
xDD I do NOT change my theme every day, Mr. Oni~!

But yes. For a while, I just sort of...pictured you as the boy in your signature when he was your avatar as well. Well, I'm having a hard time picturing you as a cheetah with a top hat, but...at least I know it's you when I see that avatar.

Long story short--
It shows elegance and genius, which is exactly what you should be thinking when you see my avatar.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Kairu
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kairu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kairu Send a message via Yahoo to Kairu
I have a bad habit of doing that myself. I've been going for forums for over 6 years now and I always imagine people looking somewhat like their avatar. Most of the time, it's very far off.
Currently playing: Pokemon Fire Red

Old March 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
ShadowofTime01
Pokemon Professor

Yeah, i remember back when i was with United Forums, I imagined people to be like their avatars... and eventually most of them imagined that I was not a really person, but a living embodiment of an anime character. Although at times, i'm not too far off from how my avatar looks.

Help me finish my pokedex legitly:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...23#post3385323

Just waiting for Arcues
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Went
Blue

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Actually I go more for the signatures, unless the person has the same avatar for months, and suddenly change it...
Nica helped me a lot about not caring about avatars, since she changes hers eight times per week XD

But, really, I have known a lot of people who care about the avatar: I once had a more girl-ish one and I was called "her" (despite the fact of having never changed the "male" from my profile O_o).
"Your loyalties... are they clear?"

"Yes sir. They are."

Old March 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Jaimes
Advanced Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Its easy to base an opinion on someone from their avatar. So when someone changes theirs it can be a bit confusing.

L is awesome and think he is really similar to me- so I feel comfortable about using it XD
Ad hominem is for n00bs. Make good points.

=/
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links