The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Darthatron's Avatar
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Hello everyone. So this thread was made because I'm currently developing a Tile-Map Editor, don't worry, it's not like the current ones.

So, I pretty much just need to all to post suggestions for it. Currently I've included a few things which I will mention in a minute. Anyway, just discuss what you think the "ultimate" tile-map editor should include.

Also, if you want to be a beta tester, post in here.

Current Features. (Strike-out means it's done.)
Code:
4bbp/8bbp support.
Palette Editor Mode. (Like Advance Maps movement permission editor.)
"Fill" ability. (Like MS Paints, Paint Bucket.)
Flipped Tiles.
Ability to save a Tile-Map Image.
Change Tile-Sets without clearing the Tile-Map.
Ability to re-size Tile-Maps.
Bigger Block. (Like A-Maps Grosser Block.)
Tile-Set Editor. (Like Paint)
Tile-Set Indexer.
Tile-Set Palette Editor.
So, as you can see I have some things to implement... But, still post what else you can think of. Use this form.

Code:
Idea: Palette Editor Mode
Explanation: Like Advance Maps movement permission editor. It lets you change the palette of separate tiles.
Rating (1 being most needed, 10 being least needed): 6
__________________
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です

Last edited by Darthatron; October 17th, 2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: OLOL
  #2    
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Νιτραμ
Trainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Idea
Block insertion

Explanation
AdvanceMap has a nifty function, in German it's Grosser Block, what means Bigger block. It's quite self-explanatory. You should be able to select multiple tiles to use as a "stamp", just like in AM. I know it's hard to implement, don't worry :P

One more thing: Wanna beat PTC? Insert it :P You know I am not going to use it just cause of that.

Rating

As the actual feature is quite appreciated and PTC can not load tilemaps created in other programs (for example D-Trogh's NTME based on your old Hurricane can do this)... I would surely give it at least 4 out of 10.
__________________
If you remeber me, feel free to send me a PM ;-)
  #3    
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Platinum Lucario's Avatar
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia.
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Idea: Tile animation editor.
Explanation: What it does is that it edits the tile animation (like the grass, doors, and other animations).
Rating: What I would give it for that? I think I might give it a 6/10 for that!
__________________
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
  #4    
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Larsie13
Gone
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 23
Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario View Post
Idea: Tile animation editor.
Explanation: What it does is that it edits the tile animation (like the grass, doors, and other animations).
Rating: What I would give it for that? I think I might give it a 6/10 for that!
How can a tilemap have animations? You must be confused with A-Map tilesets. That's a completely different thing...
Anyway, I'd like to be a beta tester
  #5    
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM
AmineX's Avatar
AmineX
Music Expert
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Algeria
Age: 25
Nature: Gentle
Send a message via ICQ to AmineX Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to AmineX Send a message via Skype™ to AmineX
Item: Compressed Graphic Editor
Explanation: possibility to edit compressed graphics Who not apear in Unlz like doors(on berf general animations)
rat:2
__________________
AmineX


All my pokemon music related videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LHV1?feature=mhee
  #6    
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:06 PM
ZodiacDaGreat's Avatar
ZodiacDaGreat
Working on a Mobile System
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Pacific
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
Idea: TileSet Editor
Explanation: Besides editing the tilemap, there should be another window that helps you edit the Tileset/create tileset. It should have functions that basic graphic editors have.
Rating:5 - fair
__________________
  #7    
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Zeikku™'s Avatar
Zeikku™
Johto remaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, England
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zeikku™
Idea: Indexing and pallette editing function
Explanation: Indexes the tileset if it isn't already. It sets invisible color automatically, with a palette editing function on the side, to fix errors.
Rating:7/10 because it's hard to make, and I can live without it, but it would make this the ultimate Tilemap editor
__________________

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
  #8    
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Shadows's Avatar
Shadows
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Age: 18
Nature: Calm
Idea: Import/Export Option
Explanation: To be able to import/export a tile(s), like a copy/paste sorta thing.
Rating 4

Heres why I would like this:
I was thinking of Making a Fall Tileset,with new leaves/trees etc.(It's fall in the U.S.)
but I can't insert tiles properly... The import/export option would do that for me.

Also, I'll beta test if you need testers.
__________________
  #9    
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
TB Pro's Avatar
TB Pro
Old-timer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Midwestern USA
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by T View Post
Idea: Import/Export Option
Explanation: To be able to import/export a tile(s), like a copy/paste sorta thing.
Rating 4

Heres why I would like this:
I was thinking of Making a Fall Tileset,with new leaves/trees etc.(It's fall in the U.S.)
but I can't insert tiles properly... The import/export option would do that for me.

Also, I'll beta test if you need testers.
Dude, it's a TileMAP editor...

Suggestion: Palette Editing function
Description: Just a little tab/little section to the side, where we can edit the palettes right there. As I know how you choose the palette on it, this would work great in conjunction.
Rating: 6(as it would be hard, but awesome, and i can live without it, it would just make life easier)
__________________
--I'm a creepin'..

Last edited by TB Pro; October 17th, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Changed some stuff.
  #10    
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Himochi Kouen
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Idea: Ability to view at least the edges of the connecting maps.
Explanation: For example, say you're on the Pewter City Map. You'd be able to see a small portion of Route 2 below, and Route 3 to the right. It would make matching tiles (like where trees meet up, or where a mountain wall turns) from connected maps much easier.
Rating: Probably only an 8 or 9. I'm not sure such a thing would be even do-able.
  #11    
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM
TB Pro's Avatar
TB Pro
Old-timer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Midwestern USA
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himochi Kouen View Post
Idea: Ability to view at least the edges of the connecting maps.
Explanation: For example, say you're on the Pewter City Map. You'd be able to see a small portion of Route 2 below, and Route 3 to the right. It would make matching tiles (like where trees meet up, or where a mountain wall turns) from connected maps much easier.
Rating: Probably only an 8 or 9. I'm not sure such a thing would be even do-able.
Guys, this is a TILEMAP editor, not a tileset editor, or a mapping tool. Please read the description next time.
__________________
--I'm a creepin'..
  #12    
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Himochi Kouen
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Sorry, there must be some confusion on my part...isn't a "Tilemap" a map made of tiles?
And wouldn't a "Tileset" be the set of tiles used to create said map?
  #13    
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Darthatron's Avatar
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder_Zeikku View Post
Idea: Indexing and pallette editing function
Explanation: Indexes the tileset if it isn't already. It sets invisible color automatically, with a palette editing function on the side, to fix errors.
Rating:7/10 because it's hard to make, and I can live without it, but it would make this the ultimate Tilemap editor
This would be easy, as long as the tile-sets don't contain more than 16 colors. I will add to the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacDaGreat View Post
Idea: TileSet Editor
Explanation: Besides editing the tilemap, there should be another window that helps you edit the Tileset/create tileset. It should have functions that basic graphic editors have.
Rating:5 - fair
A good idea, I'll add this to the list too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin™ View Post
Idea
Block insertion

Explanation
AdvanceMap has a nifty function, in German it's Grosser Block, what means Bigger block. It's quite self-explanatory. You should be able to select multiple tiles to use as a "stamp", just like in AM. I know it's hard to implement, don't worry

One more thing: Wanna beat PTC? Insert it You know I am not going to use it just cause of that.

Rating

As the actual feature is quite appreciated and PTC can not load tilemaps created in other programs (for example D-Trogh's NTME based on your old Hurricane can do this)... I would surely give it at least 4 out of 10.
Already added. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsie13 View Post
How can a tilemap have animations? You must be confused with A-Map tilesets. That's a completely different thing...
Anyway, I'd like to be a beta tester
You can be a beta tester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario View Post
Idea: Tile animation editor.
Explanation: What it does is that it edits the tile animation (like the grass, doors, and other animations).
Rating: What I would give it for that? I think I might give it a 6/10 for that!
I don't think you understand what a tilemap is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmineX View Post
Item: Compressed Graphic Editor
Explanation: possibility to edit compressed graphics Who not apear in Unlz like doors(on berf general animations)
rat:2
This is a tile-map editor, not a tile/map editor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T View Post
Idea: Import/Export Option
Explanation: To be able to import/export a tile(s), like a copy/paste sorta thing.
Rating 4

Heres why I would like this:
I was thinking of Making a Fall Tileset,with new leaves/trees etc.(It's fall in the U.S.)
but I can't insert tiles properly... The import/export option would do that for me.

Also, I'll beta test if you need testers.
Do you mean import into the ROM, or into the tile-set?

And yes, I need testers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ¿TB Pro™ View Post
Dude, it's a TileMAP editor...

Suggestion: Palette Editing function
Description: Just a little tab/little section to the side, where we can edit the palettes right there. As I know how you choose the palette on it, this would work great in conjunction.
Rating: 6(as it would be hard, but awesome, and i can live without it, it would just make life easier)
It wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but it might lag a bit. If I can think of a decent way to do this, then I'll add it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himochi Kouen View Post
Idea: Ability to view at least the edges of the connecting maps.
Explanation: For example, say you're on the Pewter City Map. You'd be able to see a small portion of Route 2 below, and Route 3 to the right. It would make matching tiles (like where trees meet up, or where a mountain wall turns) from connected maps much easier.
Rating: Probably only an 8 or 9. I'm not sure such a thing would be even do-able.
Not a map editor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ¿TB Pro™ View Post
Guys, this is a TILEMAP editor, not a tileset editor, or a mapping tool. Please read the description next time.
Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himochi Kouen View Post
Sorry, there must be some confusion on my part...isn't a "Tilemap" a map made of tiles?
And wouldn't a "Tileset" be the set of tiles used to create said map?
A Tile-Map is used to edit the way something in the game is laid out. Like the title screen, the world map, the trainer card, etc...
__________________
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
  #14    
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti's Avatar
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
gggggggggggggggggg
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: My user name _ asciii_ +&h1!" lulz
Wait, This isn't where I download Shiny Gold`?

Then a feature with easy palette fitting, so I find the clossed colour...
__________________
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #15    
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM
TB Pro's Avatar
TB Pro
Old-timer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Midwestern USA
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_c View Post
Wait, This isn't where I download Shiny Gold`?

Then a feature with easy palette fitting, so I find the clossed colour...
Oh, Sebbe, Sebbe, Sebbe...You never change, do you? Rofl. That feature is already implemented
__________________
--I'm a creepin'..
  #16    
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti's Avatar
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
gggggggggggggggggg
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: My user name _ asciii_ +&h1!" lulz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ¿TB Pro™ View Post
Oh, Sebbe, Sebbe, Sebbe...You never change, do you? Rofl. That feature is already implemented
Shiny Gold Download or The Colour thing?
__________________
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #17    
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Himochi Kouen
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
A Tile-Map is used to edit the way something in the game is laid out. Like the title screen, the world map, the trainer card, etc...
Ahh, I see. A map OF the tiles, not a map MADE OF the tiles. I understand now. My mistake, please pardon my ignorance. *bows* ^^';
  #18    
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
TB Pro's Avatar
TB Pro
Old-timer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Midwestern USA
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_c View Post
Shiny Gold Download or The Colour thing?
Rofl at the Shiny Gold thing...Rofl. And the palette feature you suggested is already implemented.
__________________
--I'm a creepin'..
  #19    
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM
poddish's Avatar
poddish
Spirit Of Radio
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poddish
World Map editor
edits the world map

3/10
__________________
I believe children are the future.
As such, we can do whatever we want, and in the future, when it's time to clean up our mess, they will have to do it for us.
  #20    
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Darthatron's Avatar
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by poddish View Post
World Map editor
edits the world map

3/10
You are the kind of person that makes me very, very angry. READ WHAT I SAID! This is not a map editor. If you want to edit the world map, you need to use a tile-map editor AND the world map editor in A-Map.

Next person to post anything about map editing is going to flamed.
________

Sebbe, stop spamming.
__________________
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
  #21    
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:05 PM
BLAZEQUAZA's Avatar
BLAZEQUAZA
ONE FIERY BEAST
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Idea: The ability to create world maps into the game easily
Explanation: Like all the tutorials, but allows it to be set straight from the picture into the game
Rating (1 being most needed, 10 being least needed): 1 - I really need this alot
  #22    
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:23 PM
colcolstyles's Avatar
colcolstyles
Yours truly
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Bay Area
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
BLAZEQUAZA, please don't revive threads that are over two years old. And if you have to revive a dead thread for some odd reason, at least read some of the posts (*points to the post above yours*)

Closed
__________________

Brother of Vrai
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.