Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page Pokémon: Pikachu's Tale

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old April 5th, 2008 (12:26 AM). Edited February 21st, 2009 by Barker.
I'm drifting in deep waters..
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Bringing the Anime to Life... NOT a Yellow Remake... It's...

Yes, it's a pun.

A Firered Hack by Barker

We've all played and enjoyed Pokémon Yellow. We loved it. I loved it. Unfortunately, the original game is now nearing a decade old, and in my opinion, deserves the updates the series has offered in the about nine years since it's been released. However, one small problem I had with the original game was that it didn't seem to take the whole "Anime Experience" far enough; sure, it had Team Rocket and Pikachu, but where were the separate story lines I grew to love from the original series?

My idea is a hack that's based more into the anime, essentially a deeper version of Yellow, with the same basic idea. This would be a hack that includes the small things we remember from the our first glimpses of the anime: the Samurai Bug Catcher in Viridian Forest, Mt. Hideaway and the Bulbasaur Garden; it would include the Giant Pokemon and the Spearow from the first episode. Basically, if you can think of it being in the Anime, (And it's not too small/picky), it would be in the game. Each Episode would have at least one individual event dedicated to it in the game. This makes for totally immersible gameplay that I hope will make an impression on any players. Sure, the idea is hardly groundbreaking or unique, but I haven't seen a super focused attempt at something exactly like this.

• An emphasis on bringing the Anime Story into RPG format, while keeping continuity as high as possible. Obviously, some things will need to be updated, but for the most part, yes, Continuity is the very highest priority. This of course means no D/P Pokemon (lolwat?), no G/S/R/S/E Pokemon (Besides Ho Oh in the first episode, Togepi, whatever) until much later, if at all.
  • The going idea at the moment for Pikachu is to have him perched on your shoulder, and actually happens in the Anime from time to time. If not, a fix would be found, perhaps in the form of simply having Ash carry Pikachu on his back. Something akin to this. (Lovingly dubbed "Backpackachu" by Zel )
  • As many of us are jaded of Kanto after R/B/Y/G/G/S/FR/LG, I think it would be entirely necessary to remap the routes and Cities to be bigger, and more accurate to the Anime. Hopefully, this will help to combat the "Been here, done that" attitude some might have. Also included, obviously, would be cities seen in the Anime but not in the Original Kanto Map. This adds a numerous amount of cities/towns to the game.
  • In all, the main attraction of the hack won't be amazing graphics, or a custom region. It will be, of course, the Events and continuity I hope to offer. A hack with great events beats a hack with great graphics every time, in my eyes.

As of February 22, 2009, the project is dead. Anyone interested in taking over the project can PM Woofer. It must be noted, however, that Woofer still wishes to be a part of the hack.
Media, as it turned out, was limited to just a few maps. These screenshots constitute the entire progress of Pikachu's Tale, from it's start in March 2008 to it's death in February 2009.

Pallet Town (32kb)

Route One (37kb)
Route One and Event/Comparison (148kb)

Viridan City (34kb)
(Wow, I just noticed a huge error here, too.)

Full Map (Pallet Town, Route One, and Viridian City) (106kb)

Support:

Thanks to Blue Pikachu!

Thanks to Islander Jon!

Thanks to Islander Jon!
Code:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2uh2006.jpg
Old April 5th, 2008 (12:35 AM).
え?

Wow, I love your idea, its fantastic.
I'd love to help you in any way possible.
Old April 5th, 2008 (01:46 AM).
All and Nothing at All

So does it mean u are adding Give PKMN events like the starters? How about mew?
Old April 5th, 2008 (02:05 AM).
The Pokemon Hacker.

Nice idea hope to see more.
Old April 5th, 2008 (07:50 AM).
Gold Tier

Thanks Celebi, PH.

atoms, if it was "given" to Ash in the Anime, it will be "given" to him in the game, yes. However, you have to remember that he was never really just given anything outright. He had to, for example, earn the Bulbasaur's trust, save Misty from the Squirtle Squad, and get the Charmander to realize his original trainer was a douche. It'll be this way in the game too.
Old April 5th, 2008 (04:06 PM).
Starting anew...

Nature: Timid
I know in Anime that Bubasaur, Charmander and Squirtle doesn't evolve, but it will be
boring if you don't let them evolve.(And, yes, I watched Anime A LOT. I'm still watching them now.)
Old April 5th, 2008 (05:11 PM).
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Actually, ur wrong abour charmander.
Ash gets a charizard in the fossil episode.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old April 5th, 2008 (09:11 PM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by prince112:
I know in Anime that Bubasaur, Charmander and Squirtle doesn't evolve, but it will be
boring if you don't let them evolve.(And, yes, I watched Anime A LOT. I'm still watching them now.)
Yeah, that would obviously be an exception to the continuity thing.

I also can't force the player to catch a specific Pokemon either or have it with him at a certain time, which would be another difference, as far as "Metapod, use Harden to kill his Pinsur!" and things like that go. tl;dr: Variables will force me to deviate a little from the actual story, though nothing major will change.

And shiny, Ash's Charmander was gotten from a bad trainer. This Charmander evolved into Charmeleon, and then into Charizard, in the episode you mentioned.
Old April 6th, 2008 (04:09 AM).
Starting anew...

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by shinypkmnfan13:
Actually, ur wrong abour charmander.
Ash gets a charizard in the fossil episode.
Ugh... I think it was because I watched too much DP Anime and I already forgotten a lot of old Anime Series.
Old April 6th, 2008 (06:26 AM).
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

yeah probably.
the old anime was much better.
Topic:i'm guessing your pikachu can't evolve into raichu.
but one thing...
how will you make it impossible to release your pikachu?
If you release it,the characters will be wondering why a pikachu is still on your back.
Old April 6th, 2008 (09:01 AM).
setting up for the big beta

Send a message via AIM to Antwhan Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Antwhan
well i guess then it would be a pikachu backpack? personally, i dont know who would release their starter but it's a good form of critism. anyway. yellow remakes/expansions require a bit of diligence and devotion more than most other games. if only because it shud be true to the anime, best of luck to ya mate.

would liek to see more of this

Twin:Heatran

My hack, check it out:
Old April 6th, 2008 (03:32 PM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by NIN:
yeah probably.
the old anime was much better.
Topic:i'm guessing your pikachu can't evolve into raichu.
but one thing...
If you release it,the characters will be wondering why a pikachu is still on your back.
Well, there's that problem, and what happens if you just don't have Pikachu in your party.

For now, I'll just have to assume that the player will not release the Pikachu and will always have it with him, which is the entire point of playing the "anime" story. If the player doesn't want to use the Pikachu, as he is "supposed" to do, dealing with the now-unrealistic sprite is his problem, not mine.

Quote originally posted by Antwhan:
well i guess then it would be a pikachu backpack? personally, i dont know who would release their starter but it's a good form of critism. anyway. yellow remakes/expansions require a bit of diligence and devotion more than most other games. if only because it shud be true to the anime, best of luck to ya mate.

would liek to see more of this
Haha, not necessarily. I can think of "a few" times in the anime where Pikachu travels on Ash. This is just a way for the whole "Pikachu follows you" thing to work; it's a sloppy fix, but it is indeed a fix.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks man.
Old April 7th, 2008 (08:21 AM).
Meh. Hate me if you will.

Nature: Relaxed
What about when you start the game? Will pikachu be already on your back?

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!"
Old April 7th, 2008 (02:40 PM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by ashandmisty:
Yeah. My hope is that people won't freak out over a minute or two of "WHY DO I HAVE PIKACHU ALREADY?".

If this sprite thing is going to be a problem, maybe we can just forget having Pikachu in the OW.
Old April 7th, 2008 (03:05 PM).
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

why not just make a backpack that pikachu supposedly rides in?
The pikachu head sticks out of the backpack but before you get the pikachu,its just an ordinary doll.
Old April 7th, 2008 (03:23 PM).
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
May be u could use the D/P pikachu that thethethethe used.
They gave it a fast-walking OW too, for when u run.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old April 8th, 2008 (05:55 PM).
The Red Death Alchemist

Nature: Brave
eah, I think you can like... edit it and also be able to have you and Pikachuu follows you..... I'll show you in a sec.

Tausch Mit Mir?: 2208-5032-7062
Proud Member of Chaos Control & Equivalent Exchange!
Outlinks:
Twitter || deviantART Youtube
Potato Buddy

Old April 8th, 2008 (08:24 PM).
Gold Remaker

Well, we know that people can get a bit exigent about the "Pikachu following you", which is something that always makes most Yellow remakes fail at the end. Dont let that drive you crazy, because I guess the only solution is to make it part of the overworld as you planned. Although I wouldnt put Pikachu on Ash's back, but on his shoulder (at least I think most of the time Pika is there)
Putting Pikachu behind always has the problem of certain tiles being in the way of Pikachu, dont forget that.

Old April 8th, 2008 (08:40 PM).
Gold Tier

makunouchi - That could work, though what I have "planned" now is basically that, only defiently not a backpack.

shinypkmnfan13 - The spritesheet in the Resources thread? I used that, and Shooped some mock-ups. This is the best idea I could get out of it, since I can't individually script a Pikachu sprite to follow.

~KiTsUnE - I'm actually interested in this. Let's see..

zel - <insert funny looking award here> Yeah, I noticed that, and I plan to keep a level head about it. I can see how annoying it can be though. The thing is, we have to think of a clever workaround when hacking to remake, such as your Phonebooth idea to replace the Pokegear. Genius.

Oh, and I want to be clear about this while this is still in the scrapbox stages, this isn't a Yellow Remake. At all. Same concept, but my planned project is far from a remake.

Going on.. Haha, yeah, I always thought of him as more of a shoulder rider, but when I put the sprite together in Photoshop, just to see, Pikachu on one side of the shoulder didn't look right. If I found a smaller sprite (Or, gasp, tried to do my own ), maybe, but for now, we get to deal with the "Pika-Backpack". (It sounds so stupid to me, but at the same time, a little lulsworthy. )

Anyway, thanks fellas. You're making me think before I act.
Old April 8th, 2008 (10:52 PM).
a face in the clouds.

It's nice too see someone using my rombase . (looking at your avatar)
I'm looking forward to this, the feature that caught my eyes was the towns being remapped, maybe you'll make them more realistic? Like larger and more adventerous? I'm thinking cities will have more houses, even if you cant get in them.

I'm thinking of updating that rombase soon. So maybe you'll be interested? .
Good luck!
ventually though, he e
merges inside a v
ery large room w

here everything about

the house

suddenly

changes.
Old April 9th, 2008 (07:44 AM).
え?

Yeah, I noticed Barker used CheesePeow's rombase....
anyways, it suits the hack. But I think Barker will be adding more tiles to it..
I actually like zel's idea of putting pikachu on the choulder, rather than it following you and that sounds decent. Anyways the towns and cities will hopefully be remapped, into bigger sizes, I think.
Old April 9th, 2008 (09:40 AM).
Gold Remaker

I wanted to comment on some people's posts, to give a few opinions and maybe some ideas

Quote originally posted by prince112:
With the exception of Charmander, which evolves, the other two (and Pikachu as well) will surely need an edition with Pokemon Amplifier, that way they could be prevented from evolving if you want to stick closer to the anime, and it also enables you to give their stats some boost (I'm pretty sure Ash's yellow rat needs a HUGE boost to stand up against stronger Pokemon)

Quote originally posted by makunouchi:
If you really want to avoid releases, just get rid of the PC XD
But I guess you'll probably need it later

Quote originally posted by ashandmisty:
A simple solution (although I'm not sure if you'll want it, Barker), when Oak is talking in the intro just make that part the event when Ash gets Pikachu, so at the end when the game starts, it'll be logical that you already begin with Pikachu (I know, in the beginning Pika wasnt that friendly, but it's the best I came up with)

Old April 9th, 2008 (10:00 AM).
Banned

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by zel:
If you really want to avoid releases, just get rid of the PC XD
But I guess you'll probably need it later
No I thought of something while reading this. What if like in the show you get your pokemon from oak if it is deposited. You can create a script were oak says "Ash that is your beloved pikachu. You know he doesn't like pokeballs and pokemon depositories. And Also if my theory is correct the way oak stops you from using Items in a house you configure it to make you stop depositing pikachu. Sorry if it didn't make sense or cant e done
Old April 9th, 2008 (11:07 AM).
Pokémon Raging Fury

Nature: Brave
I like your story line a lot. It would be awesome if you could make the Pikachu hang onto Ash (Player) like the story says. Anyways, good luck with this.

\-Pokémon Raging Fury-/
+A new project from Dark Steel Productions+
Old April 9th, 2008 (03:21 PM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by CheesePeow:
It's nice too see someone using my rombase . (looking at your avatar)
I'm looking forward to this, the feature that caught my eyes was the towns being remapped, maybe you'll make them more realistic? Like larger and more adventerous? I'm thinking cities will have more houses, even if you cant get in them.

I'm thinking of updating that rombase soon. So maybe you'll be interested? .
Good luck!
I'm absolutely in love with it, I hope you're okay with that. I love the trees and palettes most, and if you do update it, please be sure to let me know.

(Actually, my avatar is a mock-up; I used your Base to spice up some practice maps before I opened this thread, and before my computer crashed, so I don't have the base anymore. So yeah, an update would be great. Don't get me wrong, I still plan to use it, if you allow me.(Yes, if interested, there are some versions of my mapping style in the Map Rating thread.))

Yeah, I plan to make everything on a bigger scale (Read: Longer Routes, bigger, more detailed towns. More varied landscape, with some sense of hills and ranges, like in D/P. Flatland gets old.) In all, thanks for your support. It's much appreciated.
Quote originally posted by C3LEBI-愛:
Yeah, I noticed Barker used CheesePeow's rombase....
anyways, it suits the hack. But I think Barker will be adding more tiles to it..
I actually like zel's idea of putting pikachu on the choulder, rather than it following you and that sounds decent. Anyways the towns and cities will hopefully be remapped, into bigger sizes, I think.
If the idea catches on, It'll be implemented for sure.

Anyway, a hand for C3L, who is helping me to learn the intricacies of Scripting.

Mr. Zel: All good ideas, the intro bit especially. I do plan on letting Bulbasaur/Squirtle evolve though; there are going to be inconsistencies with Ash's team anyway, right? (I can't force people to catch Caterpies or 30 Tauros.)

I think for now, I'll try to go forward with the shoulder idea. If not, I'll just pass the Pikachu off as a backpack.
Quote originally posted by darkcookie _93:
No I thought of something while reading this. What if like in the show you get your pokemon from oak if it is deposited. You can create a script were oak says "Ash that is your beloved pikachu. You know he doesn't like pokeballs and pokemon depositories. And Also if my theory is correct the way oak stops you from using Items in a house you configure it to make you stop depositing pikachu. Sorry if it didn't make sense or cant e done
That's actually a superb idea, and if it can be done, It will be done.

Also: Thanks adamb. Support means everything at this stage in the process.

Sponsored Links