The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
Why is this place so busy? Don't you guys sleep?
Sleep cuts into my creativity time. *nod*

...Which may explain why I constantly come up with crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You just gave me inspiration/reminded for the fire type I needed (read the message I sent you - you'll understand).
o.o You're welcome. Will get to it in a moment. =3

Quote:
And also in reference to many types you didn't think had been used, one of my Fakemon is pretty much a huge tree(in a more complex form).
Nice. With other Pokemon living in it? 8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
Do want. An origami Pokemon would be the definition of epic. I'd say let it be able to fold itself into the likeness of any other Pokemon, a la Ditto's "transform". Or just make it able to give really bad papercuts.
...Now I kinda want to use this idea. XD Giving other Pokemon really bad paper cuts as a form of battling? Win!

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
The paper Pokemon could use Paper Cut attack!! That would hurt...a lot. And itch slightly.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM
icomeanon6
It's "I Come Anon"

One of the paper types definitely needs to have an airplane-like evolution that can use flying attacks.

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7th chapter out now!

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place)

A proud member of the
FFL ship/orgy/whatever.
Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
...Now I kinda want to use this idea. XD Giving other Pokemon really bad paper cuts as a form of battling? Win!
Bwahahaha! I can see it now...

Trainer: What the...that thing's made out of paper! So wimpy!

*Shing shing shing*

*Trainer's pokemon falls into ribbons*

Trainer: But...paper...

Trainer's Pokemon:
Painful. And slightly itchy.

Last edited by txteclipse; August 24th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Blue Angel
Living for now

*blink,blink*
The forums got quiet...

And NO Jax, the tree Pokemon does not have Pokemon living in it! LOL

Maybe we need a new topic...
*scratches head*

What is your favorite genre to write about? Read about? Why?

I guess I will answer my own question.

Well I am still working on my first but I am writing a Journey Fic with Romance/Drama and Comedy thrown in.

My favorite to read about is romance. I am single... you fill in the blanks :p

Triplets with IceDragon2439 and Buoysel

Old August 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
icomeanon6
It's "I Come Anon"

Definitely science fiction for both questions. It's my favorite genre in regular reading, and I think it's very underused in fan fiction. I like looking into other peoples' pseudo-scientific explanations for various phenomena in the Pokemon universe.

I also like AU fics. Especially ones that also happen to be sci-fi!

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7th chapter out now!

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place)

A proud member of the
FFL ship/orgy/whatever.
Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Shining Armour
& Cadance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

Answer for first two questions: A journey fic that has a little humor to "spice" things up.

Why: I don't know, I guess its because laughter makes people happy. And normally an adventure brings change. I like change, because it is usually for the better. Improvement for the better is always a good thing.
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid

Romance because I don't like OT, and I could never write science fiction to save my life. Historic fics are interesting, too. I'm hopefully still going to go through with that plot bunny I had from April when I find the time.

I like to read romance and parallel universe fics. I can relate to the schoo thing, and I like to see what other people can do with romance. That and people who know me well can tell you that I'm a shipping maniac.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Blue Angel
Living for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmeargleSplatter View Post

Romance because I don't like OT, and I could never write science fiction to save my life. Historic fics are interesting, too. I'm hopefully still going to go through with that plot bunny I had from April when I find the time.

I like to read romance and parallel universe fics. I can relate to the schoo thing, and I like to see what other people can do with romance. That and people who know me well can tell you that I'm a shipping maniac.
I love shipping too
That kind of goes hand-in-hand with Romance for me.
No pun intended.

Old August 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
IceDragon2439
Stand Up and Scream

I like writing about journey fics, but not the traditional OT fic. I like to change it up a bit, like I'm doing with Searching For Something Unown. I enjoy trying to put into words how it feels to be on a journey and the experiences they encounter.

Reading, it depends what mood I'm in. I like comedy but I also enjoy some OT fics that are thought out. But pretty much anything that can catch my interest, I don't have a certain thing I like over everything.

Getting things together for a possible story.
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Blue Angel
Living for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragon2439 View Post

I like writing about journey fics, but not the traditional OT fic. I like to change it up a bit, like I'm doing with Searching For Something Unown. I enjoy trying to put into words how it feels to be on a journey and the experiences they encounter.

Reading, it depends what mood I'm in. I like comedy but I also enjoy some OT fics that are thought out. But pretty much anything that can catch my interest, I don't have a certain thing I like over everything.
I know what you mean. My story isn't the typical journey fic either. The main character isn't aiming for the Elite 4 or to be a Pokemon Master(no offense to all who choose that path)

Yeah, Romance makes me happy, but jealous of what I don't have, Comedy makes me laugh and feel better with no obvious downside - so I have to agree.

Old August 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
And NO Jax, the tree Pokemon does not have Pokemon living in it! LOL ^^
Darn.

Quote:
To write, dark fic comes almost naturally to me. It feels like a lot of the time, when I set out to write something longer than a chapter, someone gets killed. When it comes to one-shots, I tend to like crack the most, but I dapple a little in romance. Or smut. Because I'm like that. Really, I don't know. Usually, it's because it's the mood I'm in when I write. Or because I have a really strange imagination.

To read, usually, I gravitate towards fantasy or science-fiction, maybe even a little comedy. (I can't say no to a good sci-fi novel. Probably because I'm a softie for pseudo-science or science applied to fiction.) Unfortunately, a lot of people end up writing about OT stories, so I often end up reading that kind of stuff anyway. ^_^; I keep an open mind about things I read, though, when it comes to fanfiction.

Need some light reading?
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Blue Angel
Living for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Malcolm View Post
To write, dark fic comes almost naturally to me. It feels like a lot of the time, when I set out to write something longer than a chapter, someone gets killed. When it comes to one-shots, I tend to like crack the most, but I dapple a little in romance. Or smut. Because I'm like that. Really, I don't know. Usually, it's because it's the mood I'm in when I write. Or because I have a really strange imagination.
I know... There is something strangely attractive about writing about suicide. I got this idea for a one shot from a song and something I was reading.

I mean, I love Romance much more and the levels around it. Mood is important

P.S. Sorry that their aren't tiny Pachirisu living in my tree Pokemon...
That would be kind of cool. Like a Pokemon Metrenome... lol

Did you get to read the message I sent you?
I can understand if you don't have anything in response to say.

Old August 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
I know... There is something strangely attractive about writing about suicide.
Oh, not so much suicide as it is homicide. Or "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to kill you."

Quote:
I got this idea for a one shot from a song and something I was reading.
Oh? What idea's that? o.o

Quote:
P.S. Sorry that their aren't tiny Pachirisu living in my tree Pokemon...
That would be kind of cool. Like a Pokemon Metrenome... lol
Oh yes. Or really inconvenient. "Hold on. Spearow's trying to build a nest in my Pokemon. No, uh, in my Pokemon. Yes."

Quote:
Did you get to read the message I sent you?
Responded to it after. Sorry about that.

Need some light reading?
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
IceDragon2439
Stand Up and Scream

Quote:

I mean, I love Romance much more and the levels around it. Mood is important

I may add romance to mine, but if I do, I want it to be different. Not have the two who travel fall for each other but maybe, other ways, I still don't know. It would be a nice twist in my story but I still don't know where or how.

Old August 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Blue Angel
Living for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragon2439 View Post
I may add romance to mine, but if I do, I want it to be different. Not have the two who travel fall for each other but maybe, other ways, I still don't know. It would be a nice twist in my story but I still don't know where or how.
I don't know... Depends on how you work it.
If you are good at writing romance, then yes.
Especially by fitting in teenage "bursts" of passion.
Like if they were "together" or for sure had feelings for each other, an example would be the guy pushing the girl against a wall and kissing her.

I'm feeling drained. Everything seemed to be going well with my story and stupid Team Galactic had to go and mess things up.

I need an angle for their evil plans this time but I can't think of one that fits my plot to the end. All the ones so far seem to choppy with little explanation.

Old August 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
IceDragon2439
Stand Up and Scream

Quote:
I don't know... Depends on how you work it.
If you are good at writing romance, then yes.
Especially by fitting in teenage "bursts" of passion.
Like if they were "together" or for sure had feelings for each other, an example would be the guy pushing the girl against a wall and kissing her.

I'm feeling drained. Everything seemed to be going well with my story and stupid Team Galactic had to go and mess things up.

I need an angle for their evil plans this time but I can't think of one that fits my plot to the end. All the ones so far seem to choppy with little explanation.

Well, I think I could be good at it because romance is something I can express pretty well. I've just really never written it fanfic form.

Hmm...well, if I know what you were aiming with your story, I could throw in suggestions, but I don't know what is going on. Knowing me, you probably have and I've missed it XD

Old August 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill

(This question is also awfully familar... oh well).
For both its the comedy genre, hands down. I quite liked to try and make readers laugh, entertain them with my attempts at comedy, and as a result I too like to be entertained. Although in reading I like various other genres as well (although not the biggest fan of angst fics...).

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
I love writing mystery and parables. Mysteries because I love to have my readers keep guessing and parables because I love to bring out a message for them to learn.

As for reading, anything with police/FBI/CIA. Seriously, I'm quite interested on how they work, both the good and the bad. XD

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Comedy wipes the floor with everybody, hands down, hands tied behind its back.
That didn't make much sense, hey?

Anyway, I just like laughing as well as seeing others laugh (although with a fanfic, you don't really see them laugh, more their actions talk. I like to entertain and to be entertained, although it doesn't always work out... *cough* a few dozen pages back *cough*
Other fics are good too, I like journey fics... Romance isn't too bad but...darkfics don't really fit with me... Still, I'll read anything if it's good!
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Negrek
Edgewalker

I like fantasy and sci-fi best, and when it comes to Pokémon fanfiction, I read almost exclusively OT or pokécentric 'fic, usually of the darkfic, action/adventure, comedy, journey, or introspective persuasion. Some AU's can be cool, too.

I write exclusively OT 'fic, and usually of action/adventure or darkfic nature. Most of my one-shots are pokécentric and/or introspective, and I will occasionally do something comedic.

As to why, I'm not really interested in any of the canon characters, thus the preference for OT. It's also a genre that's rife with possibilities, and so I enjoy it for the same reason that I enjoy fantasy/sci-fi: because it explores what is possible, rather than what actually is. If it's done well, anyway. I'm a gloomy sort of person, so darkfic both appeals to me and is relatively easy to write; introspective stuff for the same reason. I enjoy writing battles and action sequences best, so most of my 'fics have action/adventure as a subgenre for a reason.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Sunnybeam
when the sky is bright

Nature: Docile
Well, so far I've only written OT non-journeyfic. Most have a bit of humor thrown in, though Fuega is going to go down the road of angst and my currently-bieng-rewritten Sixth Warrior is mostly 'save-the-world' adventure with some romance thrown in. The Delta series will be mostly adventure/comedy, with a bit of drama near the climax. Oh yes.

So yeah...I'm trash at writing romance between canon characters. No idea why. I'd have to say that adventure is my forte and fave. My favorite to read is a good amount of humor, with romance occasionally thrown in.

Little sister of Bay
Twin of SailorShadow
Devoted underling of Midnight Jasper
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

I like to read and write both Fantasy and Sci-fi. I like to write Fantasy primarily because it lets me put people with human understanding and feelings into situations that aren't normally possible. This lets me delve into the human consciousness, something I'm infinitely fascinated by. It's like an extreme exaggeration of human character, I guess. Plus it allows me to imagine utterly amazing and completely impossible locations, weapons, events, abilities, etc., which is really fun.

Sci-fi serves a similar purpose. It allows me to show how technology may advance, yes, but it also allows me to show how the human mind may develop along with that technology. In my case, I usually go for a more grungy feel, like "1984" or "Bladerunner". It's when technology develops faster than human understanding that problems arise, and it's a point I hammer home a lot. I also like to point out the rift between using technology for good and evil.

Old August 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Avey
Enter The Slasher House

You could say I have a split personality. I'm either hopelessly pessimistic or extremely optimistic depending on how my day has been or what events have taken place that are of any concern to me. Normally, when I write, I'm somewhere in between the two personalities. When I write, there's just enough wit, mystery and darkness to create an interesting atmosphere. The fan fic that comes out of it is normally a darkfic and that's my favourite sort of fic to write.

I like reading Journey fan fics, normally because they tend to be epic failures and they're good for laughing at, but when they're written successfully they are well worth the read so it's a win-win situation.
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Golden Riolu
Finally Back

Nine days since I logged on? Really? I guess recent events have been distracting me. I can't be bothered reading through a load of pages, so I'll just answer the topic on this one.

I don't actually have a favourite. Although I do prefer tragedy over comedy most of the time.

Quote:
I like reading Journey fan fics, normally because they tend to be epic failures and they're good for laughing at, but when they're written successfully they are well worth the read so it's a win-win situation.
I sincerely hope my journey fic isn't the former.

~Golden

Sponsored Links