Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fanfiction Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009 (01:56 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
I have to agree with Astinus. Dragonfree hit the nail on the head there with the Sues.

Anyway, it's been quite a while since I dropped in here last. Has anything much happened since I went on hiatus? I know Heart Gold and Soul Silver were announced, and Platinum came out last week, but are there any great up-and-coming fic writers for me to check out or anything? I mean, I'm in a writing/reviewing mood.

Oh, and brief update on my own trainer fic --- GONE. I managed to wipe my flash drive a couple of weeks ago, together with ALL my Pokemon and Star Wars fanfiction. All I have left is a couple of comedy drabbles that were sitting in a dusty folder in the corner of my...somewhere. So, back to the drawing board! >:[

I'm in a bad mood. I write better when I am grumpy. *trundles off to write fic about a depressed Cynthia*
Old May 23rd, 2009 (01:59 AM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

KENJI'S RETURNED! =3

*glomps Kenji*

I know exactly how you feel with your wiped flash drive. The same thing happened to me a few months back. I can't say that the exact same thing happened to me, because I'm mostly old-school, and have my fic/notes on fics written in various notebooks, but it does suck terribly.

And do not look to me for fic recommendations. XD;
Old May 23rd, 2009 (02:04 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

*glomps*

I can't believe I left, actually. It's too much fun here. I've had the last three days off school, actually, so I've been writing. Expect a oneshot soon!
Old May 23rd, 2009 (02:55 AM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Holy crap holy crap holy crap. I just played the inFamous demo and almost wet myself. So insanely pumped for this game!

How better to celebrate having just torn through a city and all the baddies therein with ridiculous electrical superpowers than putting on some quiet piano music and writing fanfiction? I, for one, can't think of anything.

Only problem is I'm having trouble finding a particular word. This word needs to describe someone saying something quietly but with utter resentment and loathing, without me having to actually say "quietly but with utter resentment and loathing." The sentence is as follows, with the blank standing for the word I need:

“You murdered Weavile,” the soldier [blank] as he dropped from his perch to crouch in the snow.

Any suggestions? Some things I've already thrown out are "hissed," "spat," "said almost inaudibly," and a few more. The word needs to encompass both the quiet and contemptuous aspects of this statement.
Old May 23rd, 2009 (02:59 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

How about "growled"?

And that oneshot of mine is going up NOW, unless Dad catches me on the computer, in which case it'll be tomorrow.
Old May 23rd, 2009 (03:06 AM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Kenji Sasaki:
How about "growled"?
...Yeah, that will just about do it. Inner dictionary, you fail me. *facepalm*
Old May 23rd, 2009 (03:33 AM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Growled be good, methinks. *throws support behind the word* Or snarled. That word starts with 's' though, so idk. =P

Hello again, Kenji, and welcome back to this place which happens to be made of awesome. And pity on your wiped hard-drive. *gives a hug* There probably are some new authors of awesome, but I need to read more released here as of late. Well, stuff that aren't the MSTs at any rate, which I suggest need reading. =P
Quote:
How better to celebrate having just torn through a city and all the baddies therein with ridiculous electrical superpowers than putting on some quiet piano music and writing fanfiction? I, for one, can't think of anything.
Well for me, it seems two days full of karate followed by awesome colosseum-related convos with people is fun enough for me to work on my colo fic. =P
Old May 23rd, 2009 (04:57 AM).
Whoops.

Oh, wow. Someone else was on hiatus, too?

I don't even remember the last time I posted here, or anywhere else in internet for that matter. I've just been so mind-boggingly busy half of the time and down with a high fever whenever I had a free day. Soon it'll be over for the summer, and I've never been more relieved about vacation starting. Anyway, I'm back now. I guess.

And the conversation here is interesting. Not "a psychologist could do a life's work with this thread"-interesting, but actually, you know, interesting. I wish I'd gotten here faster, but nooooo, I had to read some stupid modern literature that drowned all the joy from my life and killed my will to write. I'm suffering from a severe writer's block right now, and it's all thanks to my Finnish teacher. I have nothing against modern literature, but those books sucked so much.

That aside, I'm agreeing with Dragonfree a lot. I don't think that even "saving the world" is too much to do if you pull it off well. I like the way Frodo saves the world in Lord of the Rings: anyone could do it, really, but they don't. Frodo doesn't have any special powers, he isn't really The Chosen One(tm) nor is he Strong, Mighty and Righteous. He's tempted by the Ring, too, and all in all, he's not even happy about having to take it to Mordor (I think it happens a bit too often that the hero of the story is all like "I'm the only one who can save the world so I have to embark on this troublesome journey, get kicked in the ass over and over again and waste years of my life for common good... AWESOME!!!"). It's a mukty job, but someone's gotta do it... I like that kind of world-saving a lot better than the good ol' "I'm the only one who can do this!". Not that it can't be pulled off as well, though.

On a completely unrelated note, I don't like movie!Frodo. He whines way too much.

...I kind of forgot my main point.

Fanfiction:Mama's Boy|World Saviour Sora-chan (parody)|
One shots: The Elevator|Once in a Forest Fire|

I'm currently more reachable at The BBS.
You should come, too. We have cookies. No, seriously!
Old May 23rd, 2009 (09:58 AM).
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
I thought Negrek would answer Astinus' question on the Sues as she always bring good advice. XD; In any cause though, Dragonfree did bring good advice and made me think a little bit more about my OT fic.

Kenji, sorry, can't give out recommendations there. Haven't read too much fics here and also I usually don't do that in fear of someone screaming at me for not recommending their fic. XD;

An-chan, totally agree that saving the world doesn't make someone a Sue. I only watched the movie version of LOTR, but I thought the story did well on that.

Flash Fiction Week #15
Genre of the week (Autobiographies)
Old May 23rd, 2009 (12:40 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Yes, Tolkien did well on not making Frodo a Sue, but it has been many years since I read the books, and I don't even recall if I made it to The Two Towers. The prose is quite thick...

On another note, my new fanfic (oneshot, c. 1300 words) is here.
Old May 23rd, 2009 (02:57 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky
You'd have to keep in mind that the one ring has a different affect on everyone.

Also if anyone is in the reviewing mood, I should have my fic up hopefully in the next week. I've used Canon from the anime, and will be using Ash and co.
Old May 23rd, 2009 (03:07 PM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Feign:
will be using Ash and co.
-dies-

I stop watching the anime and reading animefics and playing animehacks and now it haunts me again..!

xD

What's it about?
Old May 23rd, 2009 (03:19 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Well for simplicity's sake, I'm going to base it right after the events of the movie 'Rise of Darkrai', the 11th movie, I believe. Though you do not have to watch it to read this.

Basically revolving around the idea of Aura (found in the movie ummm Lucario and the secret of Mew, or something like that),
Spoiler:
where, a villain escapes because of another villains unknowing tampering.
< It may sound cheesy but I don't want to give much away

Needless to say, I will have the main villains give information on Aura, so it's not like you'd have to read up or watch much

The main reason however, that I wanted to write this, was because the show itself is usually never that dark, while the movies somewhat are, but the conflict gets resolved quite complacently it seems, so this way, I'll turn it around, while perhaps also having the odd legitimate anime moment like team rocket blasting off. Though I will refrain from a narrator type, as well as a script type fic.
Old May 23rd, 2009 (05:05 PM).
Sitting by the back window

"Pah," I said. "It's perfectly fine. There's no need to tell me no worries, there are ways of understand aura without seeing Ash's face."

Then I laughed.

Why am I writing this like a story? I thought to myself, just before I clicked Post Quick Reply.
Old May 23rd, 2009 (05:12 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

You're in the current mindset?

In this case though, the trio is somewhat the main cast (like any other episode). Uh Dawn, Brock and Ash.

It would be interesting however, if I did focus in on the villains too
Old May 24th, 2009 (02:55 AM).
Child of Time

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to .Ozymandias Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ozymandias
Geez, I leave for a few days and we all do serious! :p

Sounds like an interesting premise, Feign; Aura is a power/substance/whatever that isn't adequately explored in the canon, so I'd be very interested to hear your take on it and see what you'll do with it.

Friend Code

A Darker Day

Team Destiny

Theme

Old May 24th, 2009 (01:10 PM).
☼ ♥You make me smile♥ ☼

I'm writing a Pokemon fan fiction, but have only just started the firs chapter, so I can't put it anywhere yet.

♥ Dedicated to Justin, a guy I want to know much better ♥
☼You make me smile like the sun, fall outta bed
Sing like a bird, Dizzy in my head
Spin like a record, Crazy on a Sunday night
You make me dance like fool, Forget how to breathe
Shine like gold, Buzz like a bee
Just the thought of you can drive me wild
Oh, you make me smile☼

Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.
C. S. Lewis
Old May 24th, 2009 (01:42 PM).
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote originally posted by eeveelutionist:
I'm writing a Pokemon fan fiction, but have only just started the firs chapter, so I can't put it anywhere yet.
That's great, and welcome to the community. But... that's not how it's done.

As in, we're happy to have you, but if you want us to comment on the fact that you're writing a fanfiction, a better way to handle things is to, well, write the fanfiction. Or at least tell us a little bit about what you're doing if you want some advice on the details of your fic before you post it. Otherwise, it feels like you're trying to talk to us about something we can't really talk to you about, and that sort of means we can't really talk to you because there's nothing to say.

Not to be mean or anything, of course. I'm just saying that if you want to talk to us and make friends, that'd be great, but keep in mind we need to be able to say something back to you.

As a side note... *pokes Scarlet Weather's MST back to the surface* I'll comment to it myself soon, but in the meantime, poor Scarlet isn't that bad of an MSTer. ;_;

Also also, I swear, the game I was talking about will be started soon.

Also also also, would it be useful to make an index of stories in this forum arranged by genre? Sometimes, I feel like I want to read a really good OT story, for example, but I don't feel like sifting through the romance and Pokemorph fics. Or, alternatively, I want another good sci-fi fic, but I'd like to read one that's been recced or needs reviews. Maybe it's just me, at least.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old May 24th, 2009 (03:01 PM).
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by Valentine:
As a side note... *pokes Scarlet Weather's MST back to the surface* I'll comment to it myself soon, but in the meantime, poor Scarlet isn't that bad of an MSTer. ;_;

Also also, I swear, the game I was talking about will be started soon.

Also also also, would it be useful to make an index of stories in this forum arranged by genre? Sometimes, I feel like I want to read a really good OT story, for example, but I don't feel like sifting through the romance and Pokemorph fics. Or, alternatively, I want another good sci-fi fic, but I'd like to read one that's been recced or needs reviews. Maybe it's just me, at least.
I might read Scarlet's MST tomorrow, but I'm kinda busy with a lot of things at this moment.

There's actually a Pokemon Catalog index at Serebii and it's a very helpful thread. Yeah, I too sometimes feel like reading a good OT fic and all that.

Ya know what? I think I might start that thread. Is that all right with you, Astinus?

Flash Fiction Week #15
Genre of the week (Autobiographies)
Old May 24th, 2009 (06:06 PM).
Etria is at hand

I was actually thinking about that the other day. It would make things a lot easier.

Anyway...I was wondering, would it be terribly confusing for a ic to switch from first person to third person every so often? My fic is going to involve flashbacks, and I want to differentiate the two in some way so that people know what's what and don't get confused.

The labyrinth swallows all...
Trade Review Thread | Pokemon Spreadsheet
Friend Safari: Ice- Delibird/Bergmite/Dewgong
Old May 24th, 2009 (07:27 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

I'm just saying that if you want to talk to us and make friends, that'd be great, but keep in mind we need to be able to say something back to you.
She came to the wrong group of people if she wants to make friends.

Quote:
Didn't have Andy in it, thus, in my opinion, I shall not read. This is exactly why I can't get through Dracula still, but that might change if I imagine Van Helsing is Andy. Because I can read Speaker for the Dead easily. And imagine random characters from that book singing Genesis songs.

Quote:
Sometimes, I feel like I want to read a really good OT story, for example
Send me to the Congo, I've got to be free.

Quote originally posted by Bay:
Ya know what? I think I might start that thread. Is that all right with you, Astinus? :)
HOP TO IT, BAY!
Old May 24th, 2009 (07:58 PM).
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote originally posted by Astinus:
She came to the wrong group of people if she wants to make friends.
Fair point. XD

Quote:
Didn't have Andy in it, thus, in my opinion, I shall not read.
Well, if you replace every instance of the name "Scarlet" with "Andy"...

*clubbed by her partner*

Quote:
Because I can read Speaker for the Dead easily. And imagine random characters from that book singing Genesis songs.
That's it, guys. Someone needs to write an Enderverse musical using only Journey songs.

Quote:
Send me to the Congo, I've got to be free.
I know, dear. I'll get to reading it eventually. XD

Need some light reading?
Old May 24th, 2009 (08:17 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Quote:
That's it, guys. Someone needs to write an Enderverse musical using only Journey songs.
Somehow I imagine this crowd would make liberal use of "Any Way You Want It."
Old May 24th, 2009 (08:21 PM).
Your aquatic overlord

Quote originally posted by txteclipse:
This would be how the battles are portrayed in the Ender's Game portion of the musical.

Need some light reading?
Old May 24th, 2009 (08:51 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Well, if you replace every instance of the name "Scarlet" with "Andy"...

*clubbed by her partner*

But does he act gay? ?_?

Quote:
ON IT!

Also, Men At Work, Genesis, and Clay Aiken songs. I have to double-check my CDs to see what other bands I listen to that remind me of the Enderverse series. But there are specific songs by bands that fit it.

Quote:
I know, dear. I'll get to reading it eventually. XD
I should be first. :<

Quote originally posted by txteclipse:
This would be how the battles are portrayed in the Ender's Game portion of the musical.
Actually, the song "What It Takes To Win" by new!Journey fits the battles in Battle School quite well.

"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"

:P

Sponsored Links