The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrinin
I've also heard people say that listening to music is helpful. Personally, I don't find that to be the case, but it may work for you. Particularly if the music has some relation to your plot.
Personally, I listen to Jazz when writing. But if I'm writing an action-type kind of scene I switch the music to certain Anime Opening themes because it helps fuel my excitement. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrinin
Listening/watching to any of your inspirative sources can help immensely. Or watching the things that get you excited about writing in general. Mizan Nix Zamnie is right - reading fanfiction, or writing in general, that you enjoy can get you excited about making your own creation.
You can call me Mizan if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar
I love that site. Everything on it is horrendously idiotic and offensive in some way, so I check back every once in awhile to see what's new... Last I saw was some bit about the "black" experience, which in Chick's eyes ended up being about "disrespect", "hos", and a basketball career. I'd like to say he's the best troll ever, but he's probably just... ya know.
A word about Trolls=

and also this one i found amusing

Heheh Lulz....
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Hahaha those both are awesome. XD

My inspirational music would probably be soundtrack music (how typical), so it easily sets the mood. XD
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign
Hahaha those both are awesome. XD
To me, xkcd never gets old.

Everytime I look at any xkcd strips, I chuckle to myself no matter how many times I've seen them.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Feign
Clain

Found that one funny XD

So... might have time to actually write my fic this week it seems, however; I would like to get it done in less than 3 weeks time.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie View Post
Personally, I listen to Jazz when writing. But if I'm writing an action-type kind of scene I switch the music to certain Anime Opening themes because it helps fuel my excitement. :D
Haha, jazz it up. *starts snapping fingers and dance a little bit to the jazz music*

Well, jazz is cool. XD

And Katherine, yeah how I usually gain inspiration is music, reading, or watching tv/movies. I would say try what everyone else had said and see if it works.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Me saying I'm not an idiot was less about me saying I'm not an idiot and more saying other people are, if you get what I mean.
But me saying that I told you that you weren't an idiot was...well, you got me there.

Quote:
But! But! The Raven.... D:
I was actually watching King of the Hill and Bill was obsessed with his ex wife, Lenore. However, with The Raven in mind, I don't think I'd mind having that name.

Quote:
I have a new one.

Peggle.

You win if you know what I'm talking about.
When your children bother you?
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmeargleSplatter View Post
I was actually watching King of the Hill and Bill was obsessed with his ex wife, Lenore. However, with The Raven in mind, I don't think I'd mind having that name.
Yeah, but you know what rhymes with "Lenore", right? I mean, when you have a kid, you have to go through their names (and possible nicknames) to make sure that there aren't any playground chants that can be used with your kid's name.

And Lenore, she's a ho*, but nevermore, the ugly bore.

Quote:
When your children bother you?
It involves balls. Lots of balls.

*Slang term used so the censor won't explode.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post

Found that one funny XD
These things crack me up. Lulz. I have a whole collection in my computer hidden somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay
Haha, jazz it up. *starts snapping fingers and dance a little bit to the jazz music*

Well, jazz is cool. XD
Yes, Jazz is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus
It involves balls. Lots of balls.
Then is it the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus
Yeah, but you know what rhymes with "Lenore", right? I mean, when you have a kid, you have to go through their names (and possible nicknames) to make sure that there aren't any playground chants that can be used with your kid's name.
Do most parents actually do that?
You can't cover all the possibilities...
(i.e. My IRL name means something good in Arabic but something not so good in Chinese. I was mocked for it [kind of].)
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
When writing Fanfiction, what part do you love writing the most? Intense Pokemon battles, fights in between humans, filler, or some other stuff?

The comedy. Funniest part for me, really. Although interesting characters in itself is pretty darn fun. But trying to turn something into something I think is funny is good fun. =D

What's your favourite Fanfiction Genre

COMEDEE. Not adding anything else to this repeated question. =P
Quote:
*is reminded of the Simpsons and a scene involving the naming of 'Bart'.*

And Katherine... join the club of people who haven't written anything in ages. =D I hope to get back into it though once my trial exams are over. Ah, a week and a half to go...

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post

COMEDEE. Not adding anything else to this repeated question. =P
*is reminded of the Simpsons and a scene involving the naming of 'Bart'.*
Lol I remember that scene too.

I think, to be safe, I'd probably just name my kid Orange. XD

What's your favourite Fanfiction Genre

Horror, comedy, action-adventure, OT, OF.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Lol I remember that scene too.

I think, to be safe, I'd probably just name my kid Orange. XD
Yep, scientifically proven, nothing rhymes with Orange. XDExcept maybe Borange
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote:
I think, to be safe, I'd probably just name my kid Orange.
That...kinda makes it worse.

"HEY ORANGE!"

"I Mean, wtf is that? ORANGE? Isn't that like, a lame fruit? DUDE, GET A BETTER NAME LAMO!"
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Caterpie View Post
That...kinda makes it worse.

"HEY ORANGE!"

"I Mean, wtf is that? ORANGE? Isn't that like, a lame fruit? DUDE, GET A BETTER NAME LAMO!"
"I'm named after a book about a guy in a gang that murdered and raped people. And he loved classic music. =D"
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
When writing Fanfiction, what part do you love writing the most? Intense Pokemon battles, fights in between humans, filler, or some other stuff?

I love wrighting about romantic moments and violent evil moments. Quite contrasting really.

What's your favourite Fanfiction Genre?

Probably horror and sci-fi.

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
"I'm named after a book about a guy in a gang that murdered and raped people. And he loved classic music. =D"
Or you could go further back here

Idk, I tend to name my characters with Latin last names it seems anyway.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Or you could go further back here

Idk, I tend to name my characters with Latin last names it seems anyway.
What about Hannibal relates to a person being named "Orange"?
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Because of the recent naming conversation which incdentally evolved from:
Haz's Naming dillema --> *Stuff* --> Lenore --> Ho --> Orange --> guy in a gang that murdered and raped people --> Hannibal???

There's a new bolded topic which I think we discussed a while back but nevertheless...

How do you name your characters? Do you randomly name them or do you want their names to be meaningful (in a way), ominous or show off their personality? Also, where do you get their names from if any?
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:49 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
How do you name your characters? Do you randomly name them or do you want their names to be meaningful (in a way), ominous or show off their personality? Also, where do you get their names from if any?

With my main fic, I don't have to worry too much about nanes as I'm working with canon characters for the most part. XD I did go with the most 'known' names for the main characters though (Wes and Rui), and with the few characters in my fic without names in the game, I actually tend to go towards common names, such as 'Tom' - a half-jab at the named characters'..names, which get really odd in Orre. Skrub, Doken, or Wakin are merely mild examples... heck, just look at Miror B. (Even if that name actually has reasoning behind it, it's... odd). Some have jokes within them as well...heh.

For a one-shot I did, I honestly just gave a bit of personal thought and came up with names that I thought sounded nice, without looking for any hidden meanings within their names.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific

Last edited by bobandbill; August 19th, 2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz

Well, as evidenced back with my "naming dillema" I try to give my charecters a name that is suitable to thier personality. But there are some issues surrounding this way.
1) An really evil and unusual na,e would be odd because what parent would name their kid that? On the other side they could've got that name by changing like Voldermort in Harry Potter.

2) Sometimes I name charecters after my friends and enemies at school. What they don't won't hurt them :P

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
a half-jab at the named characters'..names, which get really odd in Orre.
[cackles evilly]

I usually just think of a name for the character that I've seen before and liked, and if that doesn't work I'll refer to the wonderful resource that is Behind the Name. However, sometimes if I don't refer to that site when I have more foreign names in mind I end up giving the name of a Hindu god to a female Vaporeon... [blushes] Oops. In my defense, though, the only time I had seen the name was for a female character.
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Feign
Clain

Well not to sure if people look it up, but I use Latin last names often, and this has to do with their personality.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
To tell the truth, I don't think names are extremely that important, so I just name my characters randomly. However, I did get Bunny's name after watching one comedy movie. XD

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Only one of my characters has a name that I plucked right out of thin air, and it stuck. The rest of my characters all have names with special meaning, relating to something about them. Of course, I have twelve characters who have names with special meanings, and I completely forgot what the meanings are.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet

I have a combination of completely made-up names (Kairn), names that actually exist (Eli), and names that are made up but are a play on something that does exist (like Tira, which I derived from terra).

Old August 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
I mostly just take names that are fairly common (Tyson, Haley, Alexis), but not too common (Bob, Jack, Fred). As for bad guys, Haz, they don't even have to have evil-sounding names (like Mizan said), even if they did choose them themselves. Hell, take one of the bad guys in Shattered. This guy was homeschooled for 15 years, never leaving the house. After he
Spoiler:
did something I'm not gonna tell you about
, he left home and went to work for the emerging Team Galactic, and changed his name. What did he change it to? Evil McEvils? No. Slasher Bloodwake? No. Samuel.

Sponsored Links