The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid

Advertise here
Seriously people. I go to sleep for the night and I find three new page plus a Writing Contest. Cool!

This place is so volatile at times...

I just got a barebones idea for my contest entry. It is now just a thing to overcome my current writer's block and forgo a barbecue and party I was invited to for Saturday.
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
I think I'm going to have a girl as the main character for once... XD

This is what I'll be including in my fic:

lego radishes wearing bikinis and drinking orange juice an

Add a snowy background and a sad death scene
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
My fic character is as usual, a boy. Not because I'm sexist but because I'm not good at emulating a woman's thoughts.

Also, hooray for temporary avatar change. ^____^
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:52 AM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie View Post
My fic character is as usual, a boy. Not because I'm sexist but because I'm not good at emulating a woman's thoughts.

Also, hooray for temporary avatar change. ^____^
My character won't be speaking or thinking XD Only actions will show her for who she is...

This makes her look disembodied and unnatural, but also there is a history behind this, but I think I'll only mention it briefly.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
solovino
RAWR~❤

My characters are going to be two Pokémon. I'm not going to bother with genders or species until I need to. :D

I have to work around a couple of things with the prompt (and beat up Writer's Block), to create a story where time is more of a meta-setting than an abstract element or a plot device or a character of sorts. But at least I think I can have something done for tomorrow.
RP
Articles
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Feign
Clain

Oooo good, I've just thought of something proper for time. I think it will be my character's only line, and be at the very end... Of course, time will be mentioned throughout though too.
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
It would have to be. A third of your score is based on use of the prompt. :P

I'm not sure whether I'll enter yet, although the fact that it doesn't have to be tear-jerkingly sad means there's a chance of it. :P
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
I think I'll do a story about...
Spoiler:
a pokémon in the first slot of some kid's party in one of the pokémon games, where the kid decides he's too old for pokémon and stops playing. Over the following years, the pokémon (who is now stuck indefinitely in his pokéball) keeps faith in the player that one day he'll pick up the game again and the two will return to being "a perfect team, just like before," even if that never happens. It's time-centric, a bit melancholy, and gives me some wiggle room to decide whether I want to end on a positive, negative, or neutral note.

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
Spoiler:
a pokémon in the first slot of some kid's party in one of the pokémon games, where the kid decides he's too old for pokémon and stops playing. Over the following years, the pokémon (who is now stuck indefinitely in his pokéball) keeps faith in the player that one day he'll pick up the game again and the two will return to being "a perfect team, just like before," even if that never happens. It's time-centric, a bit melancholy, and gives me some wiggle room to decide whether I want to end on a positive, negative, or neutral note.
txteclipse, you break my heart, you know? You made me remember my old GSC party, love and win; and my Quilava with those cute little eyes... *cries*

I wish you the second best of lucks; I am going in for the contest too after all... :D

Spoiler:
two Pokémon, long time friends who meet in the longest day in the year because they realize they are becoming older, and no longer have the time to be together and do pal stuff like they used to do in their youth; so they decide that now that their lives become even more busy with mates, battles, humans, and all sort of responsibilities, they'll enjoy a final homage to the days and the power of freedom.
RP
Articles
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Caliban
Trying to change my life, brb~

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
Quote:
lego radishes wearing bikinis and drinking orange juice
I must read this. And txteclipse's one. And Solovino's.
And a number of others, but I probably won't enter myself.
Or will I? Not sure. Undecided.

I hope that the rest of you enjoy it, though!
Spoiler:
May you all end up with first equal!
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

I wish all of you PC veterans and people who are new to fanfiction writing good luck in the contest!

I have an idea but I'm not willing to reveal it just yet. I was planning on turning it into a novel but i couldn't find a suitable plot.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Progress? I'm nearly halfway done, but starting to feel like the direction I've taken it is anything but the usual.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Feign
Clain

Mine has a "what a twist" moment, that goes into full circle with the story, and yet, I am still able to relate it to Time, and for that matter Pokemon. XD
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
I suck. I have writer's block and haven't written a word.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Feign
Clain

Actually, now that I think of it, mine could be considered pretty cruel XD >.>
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Mine is essentially trying to put up a good face against an unavoidable Downer Ending (no, I won't link to TVTropes...). Not much cruel or happy either, it is more like, "you should really ponder whether this will actually matter at the end".

Sorry to hear about your W'sB, SparklingDragon.
RP
Articles
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Feign
Clain

Let's just say, I take a child's innocence and turn it on itself... >.>
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkling Dragon View Post
I suck. I have writer's block and haven't written a word.
Writer's block is a... myth.

Just apply yourself. Sit down, start randomly typing something that sounds good but you know is ********, and before you know it you'll have a direction to take it. Just try, and if anything you'll have something to post for us to read and enjoy.

I'm letting the character carry the theme of time in my piece. The ending is the breaker/maker, so we'll see how I present it.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
Writer's block is a... myth.

Just apply yourself. Sit down, start randomly typing something that sounds good but you know is ********, and before you know it you'll have a direction to take it. Just try, and if anything you'll have something to post for us to read and enjoy.

I'm letting the character carry the theme of time in my piece. The ending is the breaker/maker, so we'll see how I present it.
Well actually, Writer's block is a state of mind brought on from poor planning, stress, fatigue and a general lack of ideas. I'm not saying anyone who gets writer's block is stupid because I get it frequently but the point is that it's real, in a way...

Also, I'm doing something like a Ghost story. (kind of) I'll post the first paragraph here for you guys to enjoy first. It's a but cliche but don't worry that's not the main focus of the story.

I haven't fixed it yet so expect mistakes:
Spoiler:
Weather forecasts for that night predicted heavy rain and violent thunderstorms. The storm was destructive enough to cause property damage and as such had been labeled as a sudden tropical typhoon. It had come as a surprise to most meteorologists who had predicted a warm summer that year. The storm materialized directly above the Hoenn region spanning tens of kilometers and caused shelf clouds to appear at the borders. Travel was impossible in between the Mainland and the Hoenn Islands and most flights or boats were grounded that night. The Hoenn region was completely cut off from surrounding regions. Even the phone lines and satellite telecommunication were disrupted completely due to some form of electromagnetic disturbance.

Also, a new bolded topic:
What is your favourite region in the Pokemon Universe to write in? Or do you come up with an entirely new non-canon region or city?
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place

Last edited by Mizan de la Plume Kuro; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Well actually, Writer's block is a state of mind brought on from poor planning, stress, fatigue and a general lack of ideas. I'm not saying anyone who gets writer's block is stupid because I get it frequently but the point is that it's real, in a way...
I didn't mean to say it was completely made up, but it is a typical excuse used by people that think not being able to come up with an idea after five minutes is a complete writing-killer. It's not. Writer's block is a combination of things, like you said, and as long as you have any one thing (an idea, inspiration, the drive, or a way to spin words), than the others will come.

I just wanted to give him a rough pat on the back and send him in fighting rather than say "That sucks, man". I want everyone involved! =D

Quote:
Also, I'm doing something like a Ghost story. (kind of) I'll post the first paragraph here for you guys to enjoy first. It's a but cliche but don't worry that's not the main focus of the story.

I haven't fixed it yet so expect mistakes:
Spoiler:
Weather forecasts for that night predicted heavy rain and violent thunderstorms. The storm was destructive enough to cause property damage and as such had been labeled as a sudden tropical typhoon. It had come as a surprise to most meteorologists who had predicted a warm summer that year. The storm materialized directly above the Hoenn region spanning tens of kilometers and caused shelf clouds to appear at the borders. Travel was impossible in between the Mainland and the Hoenn Islands and most flights or boats were grounded that night. The Hoenn region was completely cut off from surrounding regions. Even the phone lines and satellite telecommunication were disrupted completely due to some form of electromagnetic disturbance.
Looking good. I'm always up for a good ghost story if it's presented in the right way, and Pokemon has some great ghosts, both Pokemon and legend, to work with.

Keep your eyes out for overwriting and just get the message across: a simple story with a message gets across far more than an epic with no real ending.

I like how the Lounge has been empty all day long. It really shows that we've been working. =]
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Feign
Clain

What is your favourite region in the Pokemon Universe to write in? Or do you come up with an entirely new non-canon region or city?

I've only played red/blue and diamond/platinum, so I know of Kanto and Sinnoh the best, however when I was watching the anime (not to long ago), I didn't mind the Hoenn series, so have a certain affinity for that.

I'd rather not create a new region [just yet] though, just because there is so much to pick on from the current regions.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Even though my favorite region is Hoenn, I have been writing loads of Sinnoh stories, so you can say my favorite region to write is Sinnoh. Just the people, myths, and culture there are very interesting.

I have come up with a made up region next to Hoenn in the original NE, but I forgot what I called that region because I deleted the old version and can't find my notes. XD I do remember though having the cities be like Paris and London. Also, one city I base off of Big Bear, California. Took a family trip there and that place is so beautiful, even when there's rain. XD;

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]

Last edited by Bay Alexison; August 23rd, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
solovino
RAWR~❤

New bolded topic???? Off to the Index!

It would be Johto, hands and legs up, if it wasn't because I already came up with not only one, not two, but three original regions. The first two not very developed, but the third one... ugh. Geography? Covered (simulated with the Sim City engine). Weather? Covered (annual isothermal and wind-vector analysis to make sure I don't screw with placing a rainforest beyond a desert...). Culture? European, mostly, a schema for picking city/town names and tree names for Professors, a quick model for inland trade commerce, Legendaries that fit in and a railroad system.

Oh wait... Do we get to brag here or we just mention in passing? I just finished cleaning up some b☣tard PHP code so I'm kinda trigger-happy...

Other than that, Johto as I said. There is something about Gen II that always called my attention. Maybe the whole Ilex Forest thing because it's so close to Goldenrod that it's alsmot a given that it has to draw an unnatural attention.
RP
Articles
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
Sinnoh. It has Cyrus. And solovino, your sig is floating. I can't read your post!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkling Dragon View Post
Sinnoh. It has Cyrus. And solovino, your sig is floating. I can't read your post!
Weirdness has kicked in... the sig was CSS-tested long ago and I even took advantage of a small detail in the CSS spec to make sure it wouldn't flow off-limits. If cleaning your cache doesn't help, then someone has been messing around with the code of the PC forum system... or worse, you're using IE.
RP
Articles
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here