The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
The Small Writing Contest is over! Any thoughts, feelings, or regrets now that you're free from slaving away?

Well, let me say it this way. I really liked the direction I went, because it's something I've never tried before. I also liked the narrative style I chose, because it's also something I've never tried before. What I didn't like was that I put off writing the thing until the last second, and therefore had to rush through the most important part. If I had given myself more time, I think it could have been better. The pressure lent by having a deadline was probably one of the best things to happen to my writing life, however. I actually felt like I was getting something done.

And I did tear up once, on my final read-through. No spoilers for you guys, though. ;)

Have you ever written anything that made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Oh lord. Umm...I have a couple of scenes in the Chronicles where Ren and Latias end up sleeping in close proximity (gotta be careful how I word that), for various reasons. Those are probably "d'awww" worthy.

Last edited by txteclipse; August 24th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Hmmm, why is it that the majority of us tried something new this time around? (especially when whilst we'd experiment, we'd have less time to complete it).

We're a strange bunch we are!
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Well it was my first work that I've finished and posted, so I guess that I also tried something new.

Bay said to mention in here that I PMed my entry to Gummy, but didn't necessarily announce its completion in the other thread.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Well it was my first work that I've finished and posted, so I guess that I also tried something new.

Bay said to mention in here that I PMed my entry to Gummy, but didn't necessarily announce its completion in the other thread.
Hmm, might have been the other thread, though that one is closed now. I believe it was just for the purpose of affirmation, that you indeed sent it in.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
*Claps on back* Welcome to the club! We have jackets! They're invisible, though, so you have to find yours.

Quote:
In that case, I also have completed and PM'ed my contest entry, The Perfect Team. I kinda figured that was a given, but if Bay said to do it, I'd better follow suit.

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Archer
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post
Hmm, might have been the other thread, though that one is closed now. I believe it was just for the purpose of affirmation, that you indeed sent it in.
Indeed. Why, some cruel person could have hijacked my account and posted a sub-par narrative to make me look like a fool.

As I said before, it's my first piece, so I'm curious as to what others think of my writing style...
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Quote:
Hmmm, why is it that the majority of us tried something new this time around? (especially when whilst we'd experiment, we'd have less time to complete it).

Writer's and literary scholars are just as complex and weird as artists or art scholars. We can't stand bad grammar they can't stand colouring outside the lines. [/metaphor]
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Feign
Clain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie View Post
Writer's and literary scholars are just as complex and weird as artists or art scholars. We can't stand bad grammar they can't stand colouring outside the lines. [/metaphor]
Well for the latter, they could excuse it as being an artistic style, while for us writers, we'd just be considered lazy.

Well good on us for all taking risks!
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Well for the latter, they could excuse it as being an artistic style, while for us writers, we'd just be considered lazy.

Well good on us for all taking risks!
On the topic of laziness:
Procrastination rules! XD

And yeah, I've dwelved into art before and I'm still trying to draw Manga. It's harder than it looks and it didn't look that easy to begin with.

Would you have taken the risk if money was at stake?

On that note, I was experimenting with writing this time.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie View Post
Hear, hear. But I write fan-fics and draw art so I can't stand bad gammer or colouring outside the lines?

So who won the short writing contest anyway? Or don't you know?

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Shrike Flamestar
The Invisible!

Location: Within the synapses of the internet and my own mind.
Send a message via AIM to Shrike Flamestar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shrike Flamestar
Actually, bad grammar and even spelling could also be considered a specific style for us writers. In some cases, namely those where the story is represented as being written by a character inside the story, such as if it's diary or journal or something, having imperfect grammar can sometimes be for the best if it suits the character who "wrote" it. Dialogue is another point, as grammar and spelling can and should take a backseat in dialogue to the character's specific manner of speech.

Three-Sixteen is presented as being the writing of the main character, something which is somewhat hinted at at first due to the style and then outright given at the end. As such, the language I use throughout it is deliberately different from my normal writing. Long sentences that verge on and sometimes go right over into run-on territory are pretty common throughout, as are metaphors and "fancy" word choice that may seem a bit over the top.

And this brings me to another concern. I hope to god the judges don't dock me points for having imperfect grammar and stuff in places where I very well may have done it intentionally. I can only hope they'll see it as being part of the style I used and be able to separate the true errors from the intended ones.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
Hear, hear. But I write fan-fics and draw art so I can't stand bad gammer or colouring outside the lines?

So who won the short writing contest anyway? Or don't you know?
It hasn't been announced yet. I think. It just finished today.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Archer
Community Supporter

I assume the reviews will take a while. On that note, how long were everyone's entries? Mine was around 2500 words, if I remember right. I don't have access to it right now.

EDIT: 2366 Words.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Oh okay, glad I didn't enter, I would't of made it despite having the day off school (I'm sick).

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
I assume the reviews will take a while. On that note, how long were everyone's entries? Mine was around 2500 words, if I remember right. I don't have access to it right now.

EDIT: 2366 Words.
Exactly 3331 words. 8 pages of Tahoma Size 10 font written in 4 days. That was the shortest period o time I've ever had to complete a fic.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
Hi people!

Got back home from my ineludible Family Event. I'm no longer about to ave a mental breakdown over the SWC (let's see how long that lasts).

My my, looks like the Lounge has returned to its usual level of activity! That's good-- I mean, I have to get up to date!

The Small Writing Contest is over! Any thoughts, feelings, or regrets now that you're free from slaving away?

Thank Arceus I did not enter the drawing contest!

I certainly felt I made a mistake by submitting my work about eight hours too early, time I could have used to have someone look over it, help me correct mistakes or something. However, now that I think about it, I know my grammar sucks period [sic] and I know if I went postal trying to check and improve it I would end up fed with the contest and with my story so I decided to simply put the best grammar check I could, stop there and fous only on the story (and the use of the plot). I now think that by limiting myself to only what I could do and what I originally intended to do with the story I enjoyed the contest and the weekend overall.

Yes, I am happy. Not that it's going to last but hey! Maybe I can try some computer science puns later.

There is only one little problem, however: as soon as I got home I could stop writing. Some of my plot bunnies managed to find a way to paper ODT as of now. Plus I just got off dinner (with a birthday cake) and I'm quite thirsty...

It definitively doesn't apply here, but there was this time when I was asked to write a report about a project where me and some friend-colleagues spent the entire weekend locked at college, in the simulation facilities' cluster area. Oh pizza...

Fanfiction? No, I'm bad at warmness.

Getting up to date...

My work is circa 4500 words long. Eight pages or so? Anyways, in the beginning it was much shorter (about 2000 words) and then it became immensely huge for my standards (7000 words) so I had to do some plot magic. I instantly remembered icomeanon6's Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure's insta-plot-holes while doing so!

Also, sorry but no death in my case. And no horrific stuff happening to the protagonists, not even implying death or something like that. I like life and open areas. Yupi me.

Spoiler:
Killing characters... or not doing so because they are already dead...
What is going with all of you people?????

My work had no humans, although humanity is strongly implied and also implicitly tied to Pokémon's measure of time. I took the timeIncrediblyLamePun to play with the different facets and definitions of the Prompt Word to try and show how even for Pokémon the perception of time can greatly differ.

There were two main (and essentially only) characters: Arcanine and Rapidash. There's also some Johto'ism implied but not much. Time is observed by the protagonists from very different angles:
Spoiler:
the concept of lapse, the inherent ambiguity when using words to describe time, action as something that provides time with information "stillness" or permanence, and that makes time "flow", the (non)importance of large-scale time events, and I even attempted to invert the psychology of time where "time flows faster when one is having fun".

All in all, for a simple prompt I got quite overloaded. It helped that the end scene I had already projected but I had no idea how to build a story around it. Then lucky me found a thread about contest. :D

Oh whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign

Yes We Are.

I tried something that I had never done before and finally succeeded: a One-Shot. Seriously! I had to focus myself into keeping the story only one plot long. No cliffhangers, no continuending... god, No Backstory! -- nothing that could made my "Add New Chapter" sense tingle, except for the very last line of my work. It was also my first time trying Pokémon-only POV and a shifting third person subjective narrative, since I'm more of a third person objective kind of guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse
*Claps on back* Welcome to the club! We have jackets! They're invisible, though, so you have to find yours.
You have invisible jackets in your club???? Maybe fedoras too? Darn I now know I have to finish "Sixth"! :D

SWC Thread Closed...

Gummy specified the reviews may take about two weeks, so we're free until then.

Mizan, what with the random bolds?

And yeah, I wrote a lot, as I have much to catch up to.

BTW, Bolded Topics Index is almost ready. I decided not to put the bold topics from July onwards until I know the index will be welcome and I can trace BT's from 2008 more easily. But despair not! Astinus' baboons and the Musical *will* be indexed!
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Wow, lots of writing. I hate my small posts, that's probably why I suck at writing heaps long chapters but I'm going good with my current one 1668 words, a new record for me.

Anyway:
No because I pefer dark fanfics. (Look at my current one!)

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Feign
Clain

Well I'm glad we all tried something new. Even with all our experience in writing, and what we have read of each other's works, anything is still up in the air. But it matters not of course, as this was a fun contest to begin with.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino View Post
Spoiler:
Killing characters... or not doing so because they are already dead...
What is going with all of you people?????
IT's common knowledge within the FFL that the people within the FFL are eccentric. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino View Post
Mizan, what with the random bolds?
I was hoping to catch someone who would recognize tiny inconsistencies and be forced to ask about it. XD
In short, it was just to see if anyone would ask about it.
The main reason was to annoy people who are over perceptive like myself. XD
To quote xkcd:
Spoiler:

I'm more of a classy -------
A cl-------if you will.
[note: using hyhens so that word censor doesn't explode]
http://xkcd.com/72/

xkcd no. 72

XD
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Now I feel left out cause I didn't enter :(

Oh well :P

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
Now I feel left out cause I didn't enter

Oh well
There's no need to be. You can try next time or when they have another Get-Together.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Gez Mizan are you hyped up on sugar? Cause it seems like it.
Spoiler:

Or are you high?

Please let it be a sugar rush.

Damn everyone posting faster then me

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Feign
Clain

Lightning was showing us posts of when she was high and posting, quite entertaining...

That was a funny comic btw. I'd probably call them a sadist though XD

Hmmm talking about sadism, maybe I should work on my fic tonight.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Caliban
Trying to change my life, brb~

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
Welcome to Necrophiliacs R Us! Please enjoy your evening, starting with the sadistic main character killing event.

Uh... Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Seriously, what is it with FFLs and chainsaws?

EDIT: Would not a sadist and a masochist be the perfect couple?

I like XKCD's comic on the kid they raised whose speech centers shut down when she's upset. Much better prank than rick-rolling!
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Yes that's a funny comic.

My friend always gets high and goes on bout random s***. Quite funny to see. And now I've got to go back to writing my fic. I wish more peole would review even if it's just a prologue.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links