The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
I'd hate to give you a cop-out answer, but go with the answer that best matches up with the way magic works in your world. If, for example, merging with shadows just mean a loss of pain or whatnot and immortality, then you'd be looking at option #1, which I admit would be a bit less desirable because a broody, emo embodiment of darkness slips into the cliche bin. If it's a heavily painful process that nearly tears his soul apart or at least costs the blood and flesh of his body in a practically Satanic magic ritual, then I'd imagine we'd be looking at #3 with a dash of #2 and a side order of reader-pity because they'd all be going, "Sweet Jesus, the universe hates this poor guy."

To be honest, I say it like this because it's a tendency of writers in general to think that darkness = evil (more so than, say, darkness = antihero), so in order to really figure out how you're going to have this happen or what's going to happen to his mindset, you'll probably want to first figure out how the process works and what the embodiment of darkness really is. Yeah, that was a bit vague, but basically, all it means is that if you've got a process laid out clearly, the result will probably end up just being the logical next step.

That might not help as much as what the others have said, so if I've just confused you or something, feel free to ask.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
I'd hate to give you a cop-out answer, but go with the answer that best matches up with the way magic works in your world. If, for example, merging with shadows just mean a loss of pain or whatnot and immortality, then you'd be looking at option #1, which I admit would be a bit less desirable because a broody, emo embodiment of darkness slips into the cliche bin. If it's a heavily painful process that nearly tears his soul apart or at least costs the blood and flesh of his body in a practically Satanic magic ritual, then I'd imagine we'd be looking at #3 with a dash of #2 and a side order of reader-pity because they'd all be going, "Sweet Jesus, the universe hates this poor guy."

To be honest, I say it like this because it's a tendency of writers in general to think that darkness = evil (more so than, say, darkness = antihero), so in order to really figure out how you're going to have this happen or what's going to happen to his mindset, you'll probably want to first figure out how the process works and what the embodiment of darkness really is. Yeah, that was a bit vague, but basically, all it means is that if you've got a process laid out clearly, the result will probably end up just being the logical next step.

That might not help as much as what the others have said, so if I've just confused you or something, feel free to ask.
I feel kind of dumb right now, because I definitely should have elaborated upon this earlier, but the darkness he merges with is created from fear that he's collected in this necklace he has. It's strung with those red pearls that Misdreavus keep around their necks. That's right, this process is canon-based FTW.

Anyway, now that I've slept on it, I think I will do a combination of #2 and #3. He'll become this ridiculously powerful monster that literally consumes the fear of his victims for nourishment, so any actions he takes will be deliberately calculated to inspire the most fear possible in everyone and everything around him. However, somewhere in there will be a human spark that gains the upper hand every once in a while, offering him a moment of clarity. I'll use those to good effect in his redemptive process, if I decide he's to be redeemed, or some other way if not.

Yay! Thanks everyone. I love this place.

EDIT: Oh, as for the darkness = evil thing, the evil characters in the E.C. are aligned with the dark type. They all have dark pokémon, travel at night, and derive their power from those fear orbs. Since Latios and Latias are affiliated with and derive their power from light, the contrast between dark and light is a central theme throughout the story. Cliche? Probably. I don't worry about it too much, though.

Last edited by txteclipse; August 28th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Kisaragi
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Lax
I really like that monster, though he sounds overpowered. :B
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
I feel kind of dumb right now, because I definitely should have elaborated upon this earlier, but the darkness he merges with is created from fear that he's collected in this necklace he has. It's strung with those red pearls that Misdreavus keep around their necks. That's right, this process is canon-based FTW.
In that case, I'd definitely say he'd end up going batcrap insane at one point or another, considering you're talking about fear juice concentrate right here. So, at least part of #3's probably going to be hard to avoid unless he doesn't also experience an overwhelming wave of the exact emotion he's harvested as soon as he comes in contact with it. Beyond that, your explanation -- where he deliberately farms fear from people in order to sustain himself -- is pretty sound itself.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, as for the darkness = evil thing, the evil characters in the E.C. are aligned with the dark type. They all have dark pokémon, travel at night, and derive their power from those fear orbs. Since Latios and Latias are affiliated with and derive their power from light, the contrast between dark and light is a central theme throughout the story. Cliche? Probably. I don't worry about it too much, though.
Mostly, yeah, I was trying to say that if there's no rhyme or reason for it other than going with the usual symbols, then it'd be cliche. I'd say it's logical to go with darkness as a contrast to Lati@s because of their typing (e.g., Psychic < Dark), but even then, beyond that, if you've got some way to show that darkness + magic = bad (which you certainly do thanks to the fear orbs and the fact that they're opposing Lati@s to begin with), it really is kosher.

Need some light reading?
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaragi View Post
I really like that monster, though he sounds overpowered. :B
He will be powerful, but not invincible. The fear he merges with initially is from his deceased Weavile, so he also gains an affinity for ice. This makes it bad for him to be subjected to sunlight or fire or hot things, so he has a few built-in weaknesses. Humans with typing is kind of loltastic. On top of that, he's fear powered: no fear means no strength. Enter stoic characters such as Eli and the prince.

Quote:
In that case, I'd definitely say he'd end up going batcrap insane at one point or another, considering you're talking about fear juice concentrate right here. So, at least part of #3's probably going to be hard to avoid unless he doesn't also experience an overwhelming wave of the exact emotion he's harvested as soon as he comes in contact with it. Beyond that, your explanation -- where he deliberately farms fear from people in order to sustain himself -- is pretty sound itself.
I haven't really decided how the fear eating will work exactly, but I'm thinking it will probably just strengthen him by adding to the darkness that has been meshed with his body. In any case, the orbs will catalyze the emotion into dark energy, so it won't be like he's tripping on pure fear or anything.

Perhaps I can make him sort of vampiric, where he has this overwhelming hunger for fear that simply overcomes him once in a while and forces him to hunt something down and scare it to death in order to "eat." It would go well with him not being able to expose himself to intense sunlight. He could even be somewhat of a good guy otherwise, if I choose to go that route, which I might because I take my baddies conflicted-no-chaser.

Anyway, I think I have a lot of good options. Now I just need to pick the one that will work the best. Probably couldn't have done it without you guys, so thanks again.

EDIT: *watches a fleck of paint peel off the lounge wall* Sooo...anyone listened to the new Imogen Heap album yet? I'm downloading it right now.

Last edited by txteclipse; August 29th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
*Brushes away cobwebs and dust in the Lounge, opens the door wide, and pulls open the curtains to brighten up the lounge. Then, puts on Black Fedora and tries to bring activity back to the dying lounge.*

This lack of activity is killing me so I decided on a new Bolded Topic.

Do you prefer to write in a serious and somewhat archaic tone or, do you write in a humourous, somewhat modern manner that children can understand without much difficulty.

For a better understanding of my nonsensical query, refer to the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level and Flesch Reading Ease readability statistics.

Examples:
Lord of the Rings as opposed to Harry Potter.
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Do you prefer to write in a serious and somewhat archaic tone or, do you write in a humourous, somewhat modern manner that children can understand without much difficulty.

Hmmm that's a tough question; one almost that I'd need a secound opinion on (though I don't think two fics would suffice as proof).

However, I will say that I think I use a bit of both.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie View Post
Do you prefer to write in a serious and somewhat archaic tone or, do you write in a humourous, somewhat modern manner that children can understand without much difficulty?
I just write in the most natural manner possible -- as in, the way I speak, barring slang like "kinda." I don't really make an effort to be archaic or modernistic (or even to dumb myself down or make my writing sound flowery and any more pretentious than I already am) because pushing myself any more than necessary ends up making my writing sound forced or feel like work.

Need some light reading?
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
I just write in the most natural manner possible -- as in, the way I speak, barring slang like "kinda." I don't really make an effort to be archaic or modernistic (or even to dumb myself down or make my writing sound flowery and any more pretentious than I already am) because pushing myself any more than necessary ends up making my writing sound forced or feel like work.
Actually, that's what I meant by the second one. In a natural manner and not overly flowery like LOTR. Thanks for clarifiying.

*fixes*
Do you prefer to write in a serious and somewhat archaic tone or, do you write in the way that sounds most natural to you such as the way you speak in every day conversations?
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Do you prefer to write in a serious and somewhat archaic tone or, do you write in the way that sounds most natural to you such as the way you speak in every day conversations?

I like to write that's more natural. I hate, hate to force myself to write in flowery prose unless I suddenly have a good one that sprung up (for instance, at the end of Chapter 20). Another thing is I write comedy and suspense, and those genres are fast paced stories, so flowery prose will slow everything down.

Also, I prefer to write in a lighthearted tone, per say. For instance, NE has loads of serious stuff but I also put some comedy in there so that the story doesn't get too dramatic and intense. Some writers can be able to write a story in a serious tone all the way through, but I can't.

And txtclipse, was listening to some of the songs from AOL music, and so far liking it.

EDIT: Mizan fixes the topic while I was answering it! :O

Last edited by Bay Alexison; August 30th, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM
icomeanon6
It's "I Come Anon"

I don't really see how "humorous" and "modern" relate to each other. I mean, there's been humor in writing for almost as long as there's been writing. There's also no correlation between how funny something is and how easily children can understand it. I mean, just look at Yes Minister. Trying to understand a comedy about the British bureaucracy as an American child is pretty freaking hard (I can attest to that).

Now for an actual answer. I literally cannot write for very long without putting in something that's supposed to be funny or tongue-in-cheek, regardless of whether it's a serious story or not. Even in real life, I'm always trying to slip some humor into any and every situation. I don't think people laugh enough, and I constantly do my best to alleviate the effects of this problem.

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7 chapters, ongoing

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place), Back in the Day (SWC 2014 1st place) (New!)

Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by icomeanon6 View Post
I mean, there's been humor in writing for almost as long as there's been writing. There's also no correlation between how funny something is and how easily children can understand it.
Would it be out-of-place to make a Chaucer reference right about now?

Oh, Chaucer.

Need some light reading?
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icomeanon6 View Post
I don't really see how "humorous" and "modern" relate to each other. I mean, there's been humor in writing for almost as long as there's been writing. There's also no correlation between how funny something is and how easily children can understand it. I mean, just look at Yes Minister. Trying to understand a comedy about the British bureaucracy as an American child is pretty freaking hard (I can attest to that).
I put them there as seperate elements in the question. They don't necessarily have to correlate. When I say modern, what i mean is that if you refer to books that were written in the past century, you'll notice that the older books tend to be written in a flowery and overly descriptive, somewhat wangsty manner. The writing style in modern literature differs greatly from say, 70 years ago. I heard someone say before not sure who though.

"These books were written when people had more free time to themselves and just wanted a book that was long enough to fill their free time."
On the subject of books written in the past.

Humourous means that the writer does not write so stiffly when doing narrative.

And the part about children being able to understand it. Try to imagine a child reading Shakespeare to a child reading Harry Potter.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Feign
Clain

Okay well that changes things... :p

Depending on what I write on (this may not fall under fanfics), I'll write as natural as possible. Of course there are times when I must use a more formal prose...

But whilst not unto these forums, I do try to challenge myself,especially in a Shakespearian manner. :p

On a side note, I will be taking a course entitled 'History of English', so it shall be fun.

Lol anyone remember that "flowery" sentence of mine, a while back?

Well:

Spoiler:
contrary to popular(?) belief, I did not use a dictionary or theasaurus and just came up with the most absurdly overly written thing, while attempting to keep it grammatically correct. :p I find it to be one step above disassociative writing however, as I was trying to recall random words. Though I'd think some may have caught on to what I was doing, not sure...

Anyway off to work.
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post
Lol anyone remember that "flowery" sentence of mine, a while back?

Well:

Spoiler:
contrary to popular(?) belief, I did not use a dictionary or theasaurus and just came up with the most absurdly overly written thing, while attempting to keep it grammatically correct. :p I find it to be one step above disassociative writing however, as I was trying to recall random words. Though I'd think some may have caught on to what I was doing, not sure...
I'm still contemplating your sanity. XD
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter

I tend to use complicated language and sentence structure, and my characters speak like they're from olde England.

Quote:
And txtclipse, was listening to some of the songs from AOL music, and so far liking it.
But what of the wretched hollow?
The endless in-between?
Are we just going to wait it out...?

...and sit here cold?
We'll be long gone by then, and lackluster.
In dust we lay around old magazines.
Fluorescent lighting sets the scene,
For all we could and should be being,
In the one life that we've got...

<3

Old August 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
I write in a similar manner that I do in everyday written conversation, not verbal. Obviously, I remove any slang from my fanfic, and I probably do add a slightly more formal and descriptive tone.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
I write what feels right. Writing too formal is presumptuous. Writing too casual is also presumptuous. I do a mix of both, writing in how I imagine the character would think... And when there is no viewpoint character I give the feeling there is one, by crafting my words just right until the narrator seems like a real person.

Neither way is right or wrong. It's just how you choose to use your words, and in what situation.
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Archaic? Serious? Please hold for a second. [walks into other room and starts laughing]Um, no, I don't make any attempt to sound overly-serious in my stories because they're just not very overly-serious stories. The exception to this rule would be if the scene I was writing happened to be a genuinely serious moment and I have to do take it extremely carefully and non-personalized or risk totally killing the atmosphere. Though usually it's a lot like what I say in every-day conversation (if I ever said anything in everyday conversation), which could possibly be justified by... something. In truth, I really don't like stories which have more generic narration - I've got no idea why, but I suspect it having something to do with how uncomfortable it is for me to be finishing a story written in that format and then reading the author's notes, where the writer's personality really comes alive. I find that slightly unsettling.
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrinin View Post
I write in a similar manner that I do in everyday written conversation, not verbal. Obviously, I remove any slang from my fanfic, and I probably do add a slightly more formal and descriptive tone.
The observation on any particular piece of literature is relative. I'm currently reading your work and I find it rather delighful. *Is on chapter 8*
In my opinion, your work is written in that serious tone. Maybe it's just because that's how you speak in real life though...
You could however, make more of an attempt at humour once in a while. Again, no offence, merely a suggestion. Don't be offended.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Citrinin
Nephrotoxic.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie
I'm currently reading your work and I find it rather delighful. *Is on chapter 8*
Thank you. :D

Quote:
In my opinion, your work is written in that serious tone. Maybe it's just because that's how you speak in real life though...
I probably should have been more clear when answering the bolded question: it was how I'd speak, adapted to the situation. As you know, the setting of my story is dark indeed, and that is how I would speak if such a situation occurred (and I could be sure that someone wasn't listening XD). And, of course, you're right: I do speak more seriously than many people a good deal of the time.

Quote:
You could however, make more of an attempt at humour once in a while. Again, no offence, merely a suggestion. Don't be offended.
None taken. ^_^ I'm not very skilled at humour, particularly not with integrating it into such an atmosphere. But I might try it at some stage. ^^
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Humourous means that the writer does not write so stiffly when doing narrative.
Bwuh?

¯\o_O/¯

Bwuh?

Really? Really? Just because my writing is casual doesn't mean that it's humorous. I mean, my favorite writer writes in a very casual manner, so that everyone can understand his writing, and I would not call his stories "humorous." Okay, so I did chuckle through a few of them, but that happens when it's Andy. Oh A War of Gifts, why so fail?

I really think you need to rethink what "humorous" means. I checked a few sites, and I only saw humor in the way that I define it: "something that's meant to promote laughter". You're using it to mean "simple" when it doesn't mean that.

It's the problem that happened in the first edition of this bold question. Just because something's humorous doesn't mean that children can understand it.

Quote:
I put them there as seperate elements in the question.
No you didn't. You said "humorous, somewhat modern manner that children can understand". That's not separate elements. I'm not sure why humor is running around here as a catch-all phrase for "simple writing" when it's not. Because not all simple writing is done to promote laughter. If a story is easy to understand, then it's written in a simple manner. It doesn't mean that it has to be humorous.

And as Giratina said, sometimes archaic writing is hilarious, especially when the wrong word is used. Like "flattened phalli of concentrated, precise wind weaved into existence out of the darkening air to his flanks... " is just lol-tastic.

What I'm saying is that humor isn't always simple writing that can be easily understood, and all simple writing isn't humor. There are books for little little kids that deal with some tough ****, and I wouldn't call those books humorous just because a four-year-old can understand the words.

As for my answer to the question, I write in a casual tone, much like the way I speak.
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Bwuh?

¯\

Bwuh?

Really? Really? Just because my writing is casual doesn't mean that it's humorous. I mean, my favorite writer writes in a very casual manner, so that everyone can understand his writing, and I would not call his stories "humorous." Okay, so I did chuckle through a few of them, but that happens when it's Andy. Oh A War of Gifts, why so fail?

I really think you need to rethink what "humorous" means. I checked a few sites, and I only saw humor in the way that I define it: "something that's meant to promote laughter". You're using it to mean "simple" when it doesn't mean that.

It's the problem that happened in the first edition of this bold question. Just because something's humorous doesn't mean that children can understand it.

No you didn't. You said "humorous, somewhat modern manner that children can understand". That's not separate elements. I'm not sure why humor is running around here as a catch-all phrase for "simple writing" when it's not. Because not all simple writing is done to promote laughter. If a story is easy to understand, then it's written in a simple manner. It doesn't mean that it has to be humorous.

And as Giratina said, sometimes archaic writing is hilarious, especially when the wrong word is used. Like "flattened phalli of concentrated, precise wind weaved into existence out of the darkening air to his flanks... " is just lol-tastic.

What I'm saying is that humor isn't always simple writing that can be easily understood, and all simple writing isn't humor. There are books for little little kids that deal with some tough ****, and I wouldn't call those books humorous just because a four-year-old can understand the words.

As for my answer to the question, I write in a casual tone, much like the way I speak.
Now how would you suggest I fix the question? Because frankly, I'm terrible at wording what I mean.

As for the answer: Casual.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Mizan, didn't you already reworded the question after Valentine answered the first edition of it? And I still can't believe you were correcting it while I was answering the question
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
And as Giratina said, sometimes archaic writing is hilarious, especially when the wrong word is used.
Or even when the right words are used.

This entire discussion makes me want to bring up Jonathan Swift now, if only because every discussion needs to bring up the fact that a few centuries ago he wrote an entire political pamphlet about eating babies, and that's just hilarious. (Although what really makes this funnier is that people took him seriously.) And, of course, who can forget that lovely part of Gulliver's Travels when he gets drunk and puts out a fire in Lilliput by peeing on it? Immature, yeah, but so very Jack Black.

(Really, I just wanted to bring this all up because I think it's hilarious. I'm not even really trying to prove a point here. Although I do believe Swift would fall into the "archaic" category, even if it was technically just the way people wrote back then.)

The only way I can think of to rephrase this question is probably by saying something along the lines of how people have been answering it:

Do you make an effort to make your prose sound flowery and intellectual, do you dumb it down, or do you simply write whichever way comes natural to you?

Of course, this is just a suggestion.

Need some light reading?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links