Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fanfiction Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old September 1st, 2009 (03:11 PM).
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Yeah, a chapter depends on the plot focused and such, not length. Sure, straight to the point is good, but sometimes it might take more steps to get the point across. If you don't at least expand on certain scenes, the chapter might feel rushed. I know since I have one shots over thirty pages and I need all the scenes and explanations I can get.

Current FF&W Challenges and Discussions
Flash Fiction Week #13
Genre of the week (Crime) and How do you develop your characters?
2015 Writing Blitz Challenge(Coming soon!)

[The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet] [ Tumblr]
[Partner in Crime] [Cousin]
Old September 1st, 2009 (03:12 PM).

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote originally posted by Citrinin:
I don't think that's entirely fair, to dismiss long chapters in such a blanket manner. While I myself generally prefer short chapters, long chapters can still be quite effective. :s
I'm not saying long chapters are entirely bad, but I've never read a chapter over 15 pages that didn't bore me, no matter how much it excited me.

As I said, writing is all about conveying a message and getting a point across. If you're writing 30+ page chapters than I have to wonder what your priorities are and if you're writing things that could better be left out. But then again it all comes down to style, and maybe you really do have a lot of things to say that needs such a long chapter to express.

EDIT, add:
Quote originally posted by Bay:
Yeah, a chapter depends on the plot focused and such, not length. Sure, straight to the point is good, but sometimes it might take more steps to get the point across. If you don't at least expand on certain scenes, the chapter might feel rushed. I know since I have one shots over thirty pages and I need all the scenes and explanations I can get.
By "get to the point", I don't mean "Things get done as fast as possible", I'm saying don't waste your time on needless narration and dialogue. Length isn't necessarily important; if you get the job done and it happened to be 3 pages or 50, then it doesn't matter. My point is generally some writers can be very bloated and pretentious in their writing and things get in that really shouldn't be.
Old September 1st, 2009 (03:17 PM).
Nephrotoxic.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
OK, then. I misunderstood: I thought you were saying all long chapters are bad. Personally, I have to judge each chapter on its merits before coming to a conclusion: with a poor writer, perhaps they could have left stuff out of a 30-page chapter, or their description might have been far too waffly. But if a writer can keep a reader compelled throughout the thirty pages of a chapter (admittedly a daunting task), then I see no problem.
Old September 1st, 2009 (03:21 PM).

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
OK, then. I misunderstood: I thought you were saying all long chapters are bad. Personally, I have to judge each chapter on its merits before coming to a conclusion: with a poor writer, perhaps they could have left stuff out of a 30-page chapter, or their description might have been far too waffly. But if a writer can keep a reader compelled throughout the thirty pages of a chapter (admittedly a daunting task), then I see no problem.
Right. It also comes down to readers' taste; some readers prefer different forms of books to read, and the writer should cater to the right group.

I enjoy reading, and don't mind it at all, but long chapters just irritate me. No matter how much I enjoy the book and I'm excitedly reading page-by-page, I still want a 'break'. I like having chapter breaks to stop and close my eyes, thinking about what I just read and taking it all in. Sometimes I just want a good place to stop reading if I need to do something else. So, generally, short-to-fair-lengthed chapters are best. If you can hold the reader's attention and still include only what's necessary in a long chapter, then by all means, do it. But consider the different ways you could go about it that may entice a broader audience.
Old September 1st, 2009 (03:30 PM).
It's "I Come Anon"

What's the current wordcount on your active chaptered fics?

Compared to many other fanficers (especially Asty and Shrike), my stuff is awfully short. My main fic, at 12 "chapters" so far, has about 18,500 words. Some of them are around 3,000 words long, while a few are less than 1,000. Gary Stu, on the other hand, finished with eight chapters at 12,000 words. My FFC entries were 900 and 3,000 words, and my entry to the get-together contest was 1,350. Writing for volume certainly isn't my strong point, I usually just cut to the chase.

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7 chapters, ongoing

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place), Back in the Day (SWC 2014 1st place)

Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
Old September 1st, 2009 (03:31 PM).
Not a Baygel

Quote originally posted by Redstar:
By "get to the point", I don't mean "Things get done as fast as possible", I'm saying don't waste your time on needless narration and dialogue. Length isn't necessarily important; if you get the job done and it happened to be 3 pages or 50, then it doesn't matter. My point is generally some writers can be very bloated and pretentious in their writing and things get in that really shouldn't be.
Yeah, true. However, I still find it offending you would ask that to Astinus even when she didn't post that chapter here yet. Like you said, she might need the 30 pages to get the job done. Also, because you didn't read it, you shouldn't say it's bloated and pretentious already.

Flash Fiction Week #13

Old September 1st, 2009 (03:37 PM). Edited September 1st, 2009 by Redstar.

Yeah, true. However, I still find it offending you would ask that to Astinus even when she didn't post that chapter here yet. Like you said, she might need the 30 pages to get the job done. Also, because you didn't read it, you shouldn't say it's bloated and pretentious already.
I wasn't saying her work was bloated and pretentious, that just most is... And my original post wasn't even specifically directed at her, just at chapters that long in general. Citrinin bringing it up was just my segue into a general discussion, with no specific opinion on Astinus or her work in particular (which I'm not acquainted with, so I wont speak on it).
Old September 1st, 2009 (03:41 PM).
Not a Baygel

My mistake then. Just a bit "woah" when you mention your take on long chapters. ;

Flash Fiction Week #13

Old September 1st, 2009 (03:46 PM).

My mistake then. Just a bit "woah" when you mention your take on long chapters. ;
I used to write these incredibly long narrative bits that described absolutely nothing because I thought I was supposed to be long. My style is almost entirely "to the point" now, and my paragraphs can be as short as one sentence or even one word. Probably dropping one extreme for another, I don't know, but I suppose the judges will be able to say how my writing has turned out.
Old September 1st, 2009 (05:18 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Sometimes chapters have a lot of ground to cover, or flip-flop between characters a lot. If you have tons of plot threads running all over the place, and you need a few pages for each, that's a lot of pages. Kind of like the Chronicles, but I'm only up to three major plot threads at the moment, so my chapters probably won't get huge for a while still.
Old September 1st, 2009 (05:43 PM).
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Plot threads, omai.

I've personally never used them before in my stories, fanfiction or otherwise, but having one or two sub-plots running on a parallel track to the main one sounds like an absolutely awesome idea. C: I ought to try it sometime. Which brings up a question:

Have you ever implemented plot threads/sub-plots/mini-arcs/whatever in your stories? If they're not spoileriffic and you don't mind sharing, what were they?

Also, Magneton Man is hard to beat in Platinum. >C
Old September 1st, 2009 (05:47 PM).
Nephrotoxic.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
Have you ever implemented plot threads/sub-plots/mini-arcs/whatever in your stories? If they're not spoileriffic and you don't mind sharing, what were they?
Yes - I like to have multiple arcs converge into one. At the moment, there are a few developing arcs that have no (or little) seeming connection, but by the end, they'll all come together. 8D
Old September 1st, 2009 (05:50 PM). Edited September 1st, 2009 by Redstar.

Aren't plot-threads inherent in stories? I should think without one, it wouldn't be a story.
Old September 1st, 2009 (06:02 PM).
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
I have an announcement!

People in general, prepare to despair! I have posted the Fanfiction Lounge *bold topics* Index!

A bit later than planned, due to formatting and trying to check more stuff, but already done. There's no turn back now, we are all exposed.

The thread is comprised of three indexes: "general topics", "lounge insanity" and "lounge announcements". The lists are still inciomplete (I'm sure of it) but now that the thread has been posted I'll be able to better follow other bold topics and double-check the links. Who knows, someone may find amusement that last for the entire day checking the topics under th second index...

Speaking of bold topics... I'll answer these later. I'm tired now.
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old September 1st, 2009 (06:22 PM). Edited September 1st, 2009 by icomeanon6.
It's "I Come Anon"

Quote originally posted by Redstar:
Aren't plot-threads inherent in stories? I should think without one, it wouldn't be a story.
I think the question was referring to multiple plot-threads as opposed to singular.

I have used sub-plots in both of my chaptered fics. In the parody, I integrated the story of the oppressed author who wants nothing more than to be free of writing the story he inhabits. Okay, that's an over-dramatization, but whatever. In my main fic, I devoted one chapter to a secondary character, while all the previous chapters followed the main character. It involved said secondary character bamboozling the United Nations.
Quote originally posted by solovino:
Speaking of bold topics... I'll answer these later. I'm tired now.
What is your opinion on a bold-topics index? Do you think it will be too hard to maintain?

Just kidding, solovino! ;)

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7 chapters, ongoing

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place), Back in the Day (SWC 2014 1st place)

Old September 1st, 2009 (06:28 PM).

Quote originally posted by icomeanon6:
If I'm reading this right, you're saying that a story has to have sub-plots. It's entirely possible to have a story with only one plot-thread, especially with short stories.

I have used sub-plots in both of my chaptered fics. In the parody, I integrated the story of the oppressed author who wants nothing more than to be free of writing the story he inhabits. Okay, that's an over-dramatization, but whatever. In my main fic, I devoted one chapter to a secondary character, while all the previous chapters followed the main character. It involved said secondary character bamboozling the United Nations.
The way the bold question was presented suggests asking if we've ever used any of those devices, not all together.
Old September 1st, 2009 (06:28 PM).
what's your sign?

I have just read the entirety of the Bold Topic Index, and would like to have a round of applause for our dear Solovino who has sacrificed minutes upon minutes of valuable sleep time to bring us such an achievement (and with such an awesome and Giratina-envy-inducing layout too). [clapclapclap] And if I'm understanding your reply correctly, Redstar, you're implying that you must include side-stories for other characters/groups as well as the main plot? :C Oh well, another thing I did wrong in Metal Coat then. I don't see how that's necessary.

Unless, of course, it was I who messed up by wording questions badly.

HAHAHA EAT MAGNET-RISE YOU SON OF A GROWLITHE
Old September 1st, 2009 (06:32 PM).

Quote originally posted by Giratina of Never-Turn-Back:
I have just read the entirety of the Bold Topic Index, and would like to have a round of applause for our dear Solovino who has sacrificed minutes upon minutes of valuable sleep time to bring us such an achievement (and with such an awesome and Giratina-envy-inducing layout too). [clapclapclap] And if I'm understanding your reply correctly, Redstar, you're implying that you must include side-stories for other characters/groups as well as the main plot? :C Oh well, another thing I did wrong in Metal Coat then. I don't see how that's necessary.

Unless, of course, it was I who messed up by wording questions badly.
Read my above post on this.
Old September 1st, 2009 (07:33 PM).
Not a Baygel

Well, NE is in two parts, before Jenny and Bunny met with Jacob and then after. However, there are sup-plots and arcs in the story:
Spoiler:
First sup-plot- Bunny and Jenny being chased by Lucas and Timmy, Chapters 1-10
Pretty much Bunny and Jenny being chased by the officers, which started off slow. XD

Second sup-plot- Bunny and Jenny meeting with Jacob, Chapters 11 and 12, maybe 13
Chapters 11 and 12 basically has the girls and Jacob talking and also plan how they'll outwit the officers. Not only that, Chapters 11 and 12 ends Part 1 of NE. And oh, this is where the officers get serious in the murder case. Chapter 13 kinda has its own plot though as that's when they encounter the officer (sort of) XD.

Third sup-plot- The Solaceon Town plot, Chapters 14-18
This one is also a long one. Basically, loads of events happened at The Lost Tower and the Solaceon Ruins. Also, this is the breaking point between Jacob and the girls.

Fourth sup-plot - Everyone chasing Jacob, The Snowpoint City plot, Chapters 19-Epilogue
Pretty much everyone trying to find Jacob and the events taking place at Snowpoint City (saved for the ending of Chapter and the Epilogue).

And solovino, nice work on the index! I might comment and suggest improvements later.

Flash Fiction Week #13

Old September 1st, 2009 (08:41 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

One thing that's interested me with the answers to that question is that some people aren't keeping their fic all in the same document. If you don't mind me asking, what's the appeal of doing that? Personally, I'd find it quite inconvenient. o.o
I just keep them separate for ease of organization (okay well right now it's on my desktop, but still). Needless to say, I can find them all easily.

Well my current fic is sort of like two plots going on at once, but the one occurring in the present is the more important one. Though I don't really want to give spoilers for either.
Old September 1st, 2009 (09:08 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by solovino:
I have an announcement!

People in general, prepare to despair! I have posted the Fanfiction Lounge *bold topics* Index!
Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I just found the rhyme-off we did a few months ago.
Old September 1st, 2009 (09:48 PM).
Trying to change my life, brb~
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
Wow, there aren't actually as many bold topics as I thought there were.
MAKE MOAR BOLD TOPICS ANNOY SOLOVINO!!!!111!!9!!11!

I'm looking forward to multiple additions.
Old September 1st, 2009 (09:56 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by La Pompa:
Wow, there aren't actually as many bold topics as I thought there were.
MAKE MOAR BOLD TOPICS ANNOY SOLOVINO!!!!111!!9!!11!

I'm looking forward to multiple additions.
Currently it leads up to July 31st so there are a few more, but I think there could be about 1 a week, if not a bit more, not sure ratio-wise (or rather cba to find out XD, wooo britishy term used for once).
Old September 1st, 2009 (11:00 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Did I tell you guys I had my first cavity drilled today? Novocain is absolutely wonderful. I couldn't feel one side of my face or even taste with half of my tongue for a few hours.

Kind of makes me want to start writing R-9WM again. Mewtwo has an interesting history with medical procedures.
Old September 1st, 2009 (11:17 PM).
It's "I Come Anon"

Quote originally posted by txteclipse:
Did I tell you guys I had my first cavity drilled today? Novocain is absolutely wonderful. I couldn't feel one side of my face or even taste with half of my tongue for a few hours.
What a coincidence! I'm up at 3:16 EST because the surgery I had today has set my sleep cycle out of whack! Are you allowed to eat anything? I'm strictly restricted to liquids right now (the breathing tube they used made my throat irritable).

My chapter fics:

One-shots:
(SWC 2011 1st place),

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links