Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fanfiction Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old September 8th, 2009 (06:26 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Chapter 2
"Cold, sore, and in a good deal of pain, I limped back into pallet, blood dripping down my every seam, my mind still in shock from the recent events. My body felt heavy, which I could probably atrribute to my limp right arm--it was dead weight, but not like I could just go cutting it off.

I finally set my eyes on my house, but the twenty yards felt more like twenty miles. I trudged and I trudged and I trudged inch after painfully inch. The grass wiped the blood from my wounds, leaving a crimson glisten on the green.

I reached the door and pounded with all my busted, single-arm might. I could hear footsteps from inside. "Mom will be able to help..." I thought.
The door swung open and I could see the shock on her face, and then she noticed my wounds and my Mom got scared she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel-air!" I begged and pleaded with her, day after day, but she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way. She gave me a kiss, and then she gave me my ticket; I put my walkman on and said 'I might as well kick it!'

First class, yo it was bad--drinking orange juice out of a champagne class, 'is this what the people of bel-air live like? Hmmm. This might be alright.'
I whistled for a cab and when it came near the liscence plate said 'Fr3sh and there was dice in the mirror. If anything I could say this cab is rare but I said 'Now forget it, yo holmes, to bel-air!'
I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby 'Yo holmes, smell ya later!" I looked at my kindgom, I was finally there--to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air!"
You were right. This is something I really need to look in to.

Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?

Any scene where people touch or the scene is seemingly gay. I don't want people to think the characters are having that kind of moment all the time. I still write those, though. My, my, the times have changed. Did you know back in Shakespeare's day, it was common to have a better relationship with your male best friend than with your wife? What would the kids of today say to that?

Back on topic, I refuse to write sex scenes...for now.

oh yeah mom's genes kicked in.

i'm leaving this i don't even care
Old September 8th, 2009 (06:46 PM).

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote originally posted by Giratina of Never-Turn-Back:
Uh, La Pompa, have you by any chance ever watched an episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air...?
I'm not aware of her age, but many people don't realize that Will Smith was once a rapper. Our generation is old, our experiences dust.
Old September 8th, 2009 (06:55 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I'm not aware of her age, but many people don't realize that Will Smith was once a rapper. Our generation is old, our experiences dust.
Not the best rapper, sans for Switch and Gettin' Jiggy Wit It. I'm excluding the Fresh Prince theme song, of course.

i'm leaving this i don't even care
Old September 8th, 2009 (07:11 PM).
The Dreamer

Nature: Relaxed
Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?
Pregnancy; I don’t really know why, but it just really, really bugs the hell out of me. Another thing that makes me rather uncomfortable is sad endings. I don’t mind if sad things happen throughout the story, but if you don’t tack on a happy ending, I just feel all depressed afterwards and lose motivation to do anything.
Old September 8th, 2009 (09:43 PM).
Trying to change my life, brb~
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
Uh, La Pompa, have you by any chance ever watched an episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air...?
No. Never. I'll ask SD and Citrinin, because I don't know/remember it having played in NZ. (At least in the last seven or eight years)

*wikipedias*

Has anyone got an "Atoner" in their fic?
Old September 8th, 2009 (10:01 PM).
Nephrotoxic.
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
Quote originally posted by La Pompa:
No. Never. I'll ask SD and Citrinin, because I don't know/remember it having played in NZ. (At least in the last seven or eight years)
Yes. I believe it's played in Sunday afternoons, now. :s

No - I don't have the Atoner in my fic. :s
Old September 8th, 2009 (10:01 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
Like whoa.

1) SSS, since when were you a mod?
2) I've never seen the Bel-Air stuff, but I've heard of it.
3) I'm only 14, and I know Will Smith was a rapper.
4) LIKE WHOA.
5) Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?
Romance. Love to read it, hate to write it. Exception (for the reading bit): any book entirely driven by romance, ie nothing else has any effect on the plot (Like those tiny books with the pink covers that they have stacks of at the city library). I like me some good romance in a book, as long as there's other stuff too. There is such a thing as overkill. But I can't write it. I would link you to an example from my first fic, but damn, I'd have to go live in a cave for the rest of my life to escape from the shame.
Old September 8th, 2009 (10:39 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

I wish I could stab some bunnies, but there are coyotes in my neighborhood, so the small fluffy cute animals get nommed on. Or hit by cars. (I almost ran over an opossum twice in one night, and it was already dead!)

And...

Quote:
I can easily answer this question with a quote from that TVTrope page.

Quote:
Digimon Adventure 02, Ken Ichijouji.
Yay for canon characters. (And now off to see what TVTropes has to say about that wonderful epilogue.)
Old September 8th, 2009 (11:06 PM).
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Haha, love Fresh Prince when I was young. XD

Jacob from NE. He later realizes his mistakes and is able to persuade Bunny and Jenny in forgiving him (and at the same time request them to do something for him, which they did. )

Current FF&W Challenges and Discussions
Flash Fiction Week #13
Genre of the week (Crime) and How do you develop your characters?
2015 Writing Blitz Challenge(Coming soon!)

[The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet] [ Tumblr]
[Partner in Crime] [Cousin]
Old September 8th, 2009 (11:28 PM).
Trying to change my life, brb~
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
Quote:
Yes. I believe it's played in Sunday afternoons, now. :s

No - I don't have the Atoner in my fic. :s
Ah, kk. I haven't watched any Sunday afternoon TV (excluding Doctor Who) for nigh on four years now. So yeah.

Here's a joke that applies to SD and I: Life.
As in, we don't have. More so for me. Everyone else goes to socials and dances... We stay home and plug ourselves into USB ports.
Old September 9th, 2009 (04:22 AM). Edited September 9th, 2009 by Giratina ♀.
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Ken Ichijouji was to me, in the English dub at least (never seen the original, woot woot), the most terrible Atoner in the history of anime. > .< But yes, I do have a certain Atoner in Metal Coat... he slowly changes over the course of the story, though, and I don't think it becomes obvious until halfway through, but it still happens.
Old September 9th, 2009 (05:03 AM).
MANIC SPAMMER

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to Ageless Irony Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ageless Irony
My Atoner is DJ Jazzy Jeff.
Just kidding.
It's Sync.

Starting today...I'm alone...
Ageless Irony

{ credit }
Old September 9th, 2009 (09:04 AM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet

Kairn. Is one. He used to be a bully, now he's a world saver. Of course, doesn't mean some of his older qualities won't resurface from time to time.

I also might have others but I am unsure.
Old September 9th, 2009 (09:58 AM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Quite the opposite infact >.> XD As well as an unchanging antagonist...

So started school yesterday. Had Psychology and Sociology, and today is History of English, Metaphysics and Latin...
Old September 9th, 2009 (11:23 AM).
Teh Spwriter. :3
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
Not really. Well, Monica Sellers from Morphic, in a way, but her "atoning" consists of having been a co-conspirator in keeping silent but then realizing it's wrong to kill people and warning the main characters that the guy who murdered one of them isn't the guy the police have. Which isn't really the same as "I did evil! I must do good things to make up for it!"

There is another not-quite example in The Quest for the Legends, but that's in serious spoiler territory and I will guard that knowledge with my life, so.

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old September 9th, 2009 (12:07 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Ken Ichijouji was to me, in the English dub at least (never seen the original, woot woot), the most terrible Atoner in the history of anime.
Even in the original he still isn't great. But Digimon Adventure 02 had so many writing problems, it's really quite sad. My fanfic itself doesn't even deal with Ken (I decided to play around more with angsty!Takeru and the Dark World that was conveniently forgotten), but he's still floating around, so he's my answer.
Old September 9th, 2009 (01:06 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Astinus:
Even in the original he still isn't great. But Digimon Adventure 02 had so many writing problems, it's really quite sad. My fanfic itself doesn't even deal with Ken (I decided to play around more with angsty!Takeru and the Dark World that was conveniently forgotten), but he's still floating around, so he's my answer.
Oi! That's the first kid to be affected by that mind control thing in season 2?

I liked that season though

It was the first time I watched Digimon, and didn't mind it (age not included XD ).

I watched the first season recently though, and also liked it. I haven't bothered watching the 3rd on however. Also, I can't wait to watch Summer Wars, an anime by the same animator who did the first two Digimon movies, as well as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

--

So I'll be learning the rules of grammar and otherwise language of old English and Latin... I hope to God, that when I get it down pat, I don't accidently let it bleed onto my normal English writing, save for the rules that might still be correct. XD
Old September 9th, 2009 (01:09 PM).
MANIC SPAMMER

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to Ageless Irony Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ageless Irony
Quote originally posted by Astinus:
No kidding. My girlfriend and I bought the second season on DVD and watched the whole thing over the summer and it's pretty awful when you're looking for flaws.
Still, I could never call it bad, too much nostalgia, and too much core awesomeness.

Starting today...I'm alone...
Ageless Irony

{ credit }
Old September 9th, 2009 (01:40 PM).
Whoops.

Hay thur y'all! My writer's block is cured. Typically, though, it had to happen at a time when I absolutely can not spare a minute to write, because I have to study, study, study, study... My head is about the explode from all the studying I've done, and I still feel like I know nothing of psychology. It's frustrating, but I have no choice but to keep studying until the exam on Monday. If I make it alive until then... I can finally write the story that's been bugging me for a while now. I'm just really excited about the main characters! I really like them, and two of them get killed in the beginning. Their part in the story is told by letters they wrote while still alive. It's a challenging one to write, I've noticed, but I'm really looking forward to trying to make it work. I can't decide whether to make the letters actual letters with a greeting in the beginning and so on or to tell the contents of the letter by writing flashbacks of the situations they tell about... Any opinions, anyone?

By the way, they showed the Prince of Bel-Air in here, too, when I was younger. I was maybe a bit too young to enjoy it thoroughly, although I was already a reader fast enough to read the subtitles. In Finland, we don't really dub anything, we use subtitles. Maybe that's why Finnish kids do so well in international English tests? Children's movies and shows are usually dubbed, though not always. Other movies and TV shows are never ever dubbed, really.
...And that had nothing to do with anything.

Well, I'm off to ruin my sanity with some more studying. *sigh*

Fanfiction:Mama's Boy|World Saviour Sora-chan (parody)|
One shots: The Elevator|Once in a Forest Fire|

I'm currently more reachable at The BBS.
You should come, too. We have cookies. No, seriously!
Old September 9th, 2009 (02:06 PM).
Not a Baygel

Hm, I would rather have the letters be actual letters. They can be challenging but fun to write. I remember there's a literary term for stories that are mainly letters and it's called an epistolary novel. Remember though, when doing in letters, you can't really go too much into prose as you would in a story, although loads of emotion could be added as letters can be personal.

Good luck studying!

Flash Fiction Week #13

Old September 9th, 2009 (08:05 PM).
Nephrotoxic.
Crystal Tier

I don't think I could write a novel just full of letters, but I am interested by the idea of a novel as an assortment of various written things, like newspaper clippings, diary entries, letters, etc. that form a coherent plot.
Old September 9th, 2009 (09:23 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
Quote:
I don't think I could write a novel just full of letters, but I am interested by the idea of a novel as an assortment of various written things, like newspaper clippings, diary entries, letters, etc. that form a coherent plot.
Read Dracula by Bram Stoker. It has everything you just listed there. The book's crap imo, but it's still the epitome of what you're getting at.
Old September 9th, 2009 (09:31 PM).
Not a Baygel

I don't think I can do a novel like that either too, though maybe as a short story. I might actually try that one day. The letters might be short, though. XD

And Sparkling Dragon, Dracula is like that? Haven't read the book yet, so yeah. ;

Flash Fiction Week #13

Old September 9th, 2009 (09:56 PM).
Nephrotoxic.
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Sparkling Dragon:
The book's crap imo
THANK YOU. I didn't like Dracula either, and I've never found anyone else who's read the book and has the same opinion. XD;
Old September 9th, 2009 (11:50 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Quote originally posted by Bay:
And Sparkling Dragon, Dracula is like that? Haven't read the book yet, so yeah. ^^;
The book is written through journal entries, letters, and newspaper articles. It's a confusing way to read the book, because everything is out-of-place when read, and the reader has to piece it all together. Though I read it quite a few months ago, and am too

And I also didn't enjoy the book. The ending made me frustrated because it was just so "EH."

-

Also, for the Digimon Adventure 02 topic, I wouldn't say that the season is "bad", just that the writing and handling of the characters in some situations is weak. The humongous plot holes found throughout the season (Dark Ocean, opening a DigiPortal, the D-Terminals) and the characterization (Miyako, Daisuke, random Sorato when Sora and Yamato didn't even interact beforehand) tend to stand out even when you don't look for them specifically. Plus the ending was a joke. (Not talking about the epilogue. Those last two minutes are my favorite part of the season. And my OTP. OTP!)

It's still, in terms of seasons I could watch over and over again, one of my favorite seasons. And I also enjoy it just for the simple fact that it was the Digimon season that was on before things in my life changed. It's also the Digimon season that I based buying my car around. (Oh boy, is that story interesting.) Still doesn't mean that I can, and will, point out the flaws in it. I just accept the flaws, write fanfiction to fill them in for me, and enjoy the season for what it is.

Just for a fun fact, my favorite season in terms of quality of writing, quality of characters, characters that I enjoy, and also one that I would rewatch over and over again without counting down to the end is Frontier, the fourth season.

Sponsored Links