Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fanfiction Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old September 10th, 2009 (10:25 PM).

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Why do you like Pokemon?
I first got into Pokemon when my mom bought me the official Nintendo player's guide for Red and Blue. I was astounded and drawn in by the monsters on the cover, and didn't even open the book for over half an hour. I really don't know what I like/d Pokemon so much, but I have always been fascinated with worlds imagined and created so thoroughly they seem real. Pokemon was something to discover and explore. It's inspired my writing in many ways.
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:29 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Why do you like Pokemon?

I like Pokémon because I grew up with the franchise, and it still manages to interest me. That's not easy. Also because the games are some of the best around and because of the awesome fandom built around the whole thing.

Geeze, it's like asking why people like Legend of Zelda or Mario. Except, of course, I like pokémon even better than those.
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:30 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky
Gah! Sorry, I alluded to it in my post, but it should have been part of the boldness, just for clarity's sake, as well as to see if people will fully answer the question

Why do you like Pokemon, in terms of meaningful relationships? (inanimate or animate of course).
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:31 PM).
Nephrotoxic.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
I... don't understand the question. o.o; Could you be more specific? XD;
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:37 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Just think of it as something you associate with. Or rather, like a relationship with a parent - to the same, or similar to Pokemon. While it may not be in the same league (thus an association), one might have it as a relationship.

Here's an example:

I like playing cards with my friends, because it makes me happy.

*late night thinking atm I think* >.>
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:38 PM).
Absolutes do not exist

Nature: Sassy
Bah, missed that part of the question due to me trying to read most of the posts here. D:

Hm, in terms of relationships? Not actually sure what kind of question is that, but I'll try. I guess if the Pokemon world is real, me having Pokemon and all, it's journeying and growing with them. Not only has my Pokemon grown in terms of both strength and mentality, but me also. It's a great feeling that your Pokemon has come from a long way but so do you. Hoped I answered this okay. D:

Edit: Ninjaed. >.> I still stand corrected by my answer, though.

"Probability is just probability, after all... Absolutes do not exist."
moderator of Fanfiction and Writing
Check out PokeCommunity's DeviantArt Group! You can submit your writings there too!
staff collab july 2015
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:39 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
I play Pokemon because it's one helluva game. It has lastability.
I immerse myself in the fandom because again, lastability. Pokemon will go on and on and on. It's a great thing.
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:40 PM).
Nephrotoxic.
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Citrinin
Quote originally posted by Feign:
Just think of it as something you associate with. Or rather, like a relationship with a parent - to the same, or similar to Pokemon. While it may not be in the same league (thus an association), one might have it as a relationship.

Here's an example:

I like playing cards with my friends, because it makes me happy.

*late night thinking atm I think* >.>
So, just to clarify, the question basically asks what role Pokémon played in your social life?
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:46 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Citrinin:
So, just to clarify, the question basically asks what role Pokémon played in your social life?
Not quite. You could play the game by yourself, in a cubicle for all your life, without meeting anyone else, and still have a relationship with it. What I am wondering, is if said relationship is meaningful, or is it by association, and if it is one or the other, that you would answer the question properly (of which I would not tell you how to answer just yet, as that was what I was going to reveal later).
Old September 10th, 2009 (10:59 PM).
Trying to change my life, brb~
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Caliban
Quote originally posted by Redstar:
I'm not saying the books are totally bad either, but I've been forced to pass most of them up because they simply didn't interest me. The whole Star Wars concept bores me, though the writing on a few of the writers is probably good. I don't know.

The Saga of the Seven Suns has received nothing but bad reviews. It's rife full of plot holes, one-dimensional characters, plot-lines introduced and discarded within paragraphs, and just plain bad writing. Plus it was seven books for no good reason other than to match up with the "seven suns" bit.
Gosh, you really don't like him. My current problem is that it's proving hard to work out how to send you a virus without knowing your email address find something that I like that you do respect. Other than P.A. fantasy.
There's a certain mod somewhere around here who seems to have a fetish for Ender... I'd at least pretend to tolerate OSC...

Quote originally posted by Sparkling Dragon:
I'm not saying you're blanket-dissing Star Wars, period, but the books. You say, then, that you have read more than one. Which authors did you read? Admittedly, some are crap, but there are really good Star Wars books out there. I haven't read a majority of them, so all I'll say is that I've liked most of the ones I have read. Have you read any by Karen Traviss, Drew Karpyshyn? and Kevin J. Anderson is tha man. Ever read the Saga of Seven Suns?

PS: You get cookies if you can tell where the guy in my new avatar comes from, and cake if you can name him.
Kehekehekehekehekehekehekehekehe~nya!
Your avatar is from Battle Royale. I'm off to Google the name.

Oh, yeah. Bane.

B > C > Y < M

Where...
Spoiler:

B = Bane
C = Chuck Norris
Y = He who I met in a swamp on ****bah
M = MANDO'ADE!!!1!!!!1!!!!!1!1!!!!

Why I like Pokemon in terms of social relationships?
My cousin had Gold, which I played while he was staying with us, and he gave me Ruby. Then my friend turned out to love Pokemon, and so I was constantly exposed to it from all fronts.
So I either liked it or died. Can you guess which?

Thrawn, anyone?

EDIT: Feign, I'll edit this when you make your epic reveal.
Old September 10th, 2009 (11:22 PM).

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote originally posted by La Pompa:
Gosh, you really don't like him. My current problem is that it's proving hard to work out how to send you a virus without knowing your email address find something that I like that you do respect. Other than P.A. fantasy.
There's a certain mod somewhere around here who seems to have a fetish for Ender... I'd at least pretend to tolerate OSC...
I'm not the only one that doesn't like him. I go to a board dedicated to the original Dune series that is frequented by several linguists and English teachers. The man has outright lied to us, and written horrible books and tried to pass them off as canon. We have documented evidence of his lies, his nearly conspiratorial tactics (paying and providing gifts to people in exchange for writing good reviews; working with Amazon.Com and other sites to remove negative reviews), inconsistencies in his work that prove that no notes were found, and finally that he writes on a level that can only be compared to Stephanie Meyer. He is not a well-liked man in either the fandoms or industry.

Why do you want to send me a virus?

Ender's Game
is one of my favorite books of all time, with Ender's Shadow being a close tie and Speaker for the Dead beating them both out. My qualms with OSC are only the atrocious writing style and lazy work done on the sequels.
Old September 10th, 2009 (11:45 PM).
Gold Tier

?taht od ot tnaw I dluow yhW ?suriv a uoy dnep, it comes out like this: BACKWARDS!!!!
u sekcol ti elihw epyt I nehw dna ,pu gnikccol neeb sah retupmoc yM-W
.parc si hcih

So, yeah.

Maybe you think he's a Dune-destroying pervert, but have you read Mount Olympus or Resurrection, Inc.?
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:00 AM).

?taht od ot tnaw I dluow yhW ?suriv a uoy dnep, it comes out like this: BACKWARDS!!!!
u sekcol ti elihw epyt I nehw dna ,pu gnikccol neeb sah retupmoc yM-W
.parc si hcih

So, yeah.

Maybe you think he's a Dune-destroying pervert, but have you read Mount Olympus or Resurrection, Inc.?
Like I said, I'm not the only one. The official Dune novels literally get no new posts because the admin is under strict orders to ban anyone that asks questions on inconsistencies in the new books, or posts critical reviews on them. He's even deleted entire threads and sub-forums to keep it quiet. The entire forum is abandoned, while our forum gets literally (we have the numbers) 4x the amount of activity.

You mean Climbing Olympus, which is a rather pedestrian book that seems to rip off the themes of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles as well as the Mars series. Sounds like same-old same-old from Keith.

And we kinda ripped Resurrection, Inc. apart on the forum as being full of plot holes and, again, bad writing. We've looked into all his work.
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:14 AM).
Gold Tier

Like I said, I'm not the only one. The official Dune novels literally get no new posts because the admin is under strict orders to ban anyone that asks questions on inconsistencies in the new books, or posts critical reviews on them. He's even deleted entire threads and sub-forums to keep it quiet. The entire forum is abandoned, while our forum gets literally (we have the numbers) 4x the amount of activity.

You mean Climbing Olympus, which is a rather pedestrian book that seems to rip off the themes of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles as well as the Mars series. Sounds like same-old same-old from Keith.

And we kinda ripped Resurrection, Inc. apart on the forum as being full of plot holes and, again, bad writing. We've looked into all his work.
Thanks for correcting me on the "Climbing Olympus" "Mount Olympus" mix-up.

Can we leave it as said that we agree to disagree on KJA? And not talk about it?

Now, did any of you go to the Thrawn link?
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:19 AM). Edited September 11th, 2009 by Redstar.

Can we leave it as said that we agree to disagree on KJA? And not talk about it?

Now, did any of you go to the Thrawn link?
No problem here. You can like him if you will; many do.

He looks like Nightcrawler.
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:27 AM).
Gold Tier

Ja. He's a Chiss.
That isn't to say that Nightcrawler is, though.

No, don't kill Zahn. Please?
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:31 AM).

Opinion of him is generally better.
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:31 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

It's like Twilight. The majority be hatin', but there are diehard fans out there who will tear you apart if you so much as hint that Meyer might have made an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polka-dot bikini mistake. Pax.
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:34 AM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Sparkling Dragon:
It's like Twilight. The majority be hatin', but there are diehard fans out there who will tear you apart if you so much as hint that Meyer might have made an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polka=dot bikini mistake. Pax.
Quote originally posted by You:
VAMPIRES - DON'T - SPARKLE!!!!
So yeah.

And I will try to rip apart people who criticise my love of Star Wars.
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:38 AM).

And I will try to rip apart people who criticise my love of Star Wars.
I'm fine with you liking Star Wars, and Star Wars itself, but do I find it art? Only in a very superficial way. It's Campbell-condensed. I admire what it's done and enjoy it on different levels, but I wouldn't compare it to 2001 or A Clockwork Orange or Donnie Darko and say they're anywhere close to each other. (Then again I am biased towards the written word)

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:43 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

THIS WILL BE FIRST POST ON PAGE 500!

EDIT: Yes, it was.
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:52 AM).
Gold Tier

I'm fine with you liking Star Wars, and Star Wars itself, but do I find it art? Only in a very superficial way. It's Campbell-condensed. I admire what it's done and enjoy it on different levels, but I wouldn't compare it to 2001 or A Clockwork Orange or Donnie Darko and say they're anywhere close to each other. (Then again I am biased towards the written word)
I actually preferred Shatterpoint to 2001. (the book)
I don't like the movies very much. The books are better.

Quote:
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
YES! FEAR!

FEAR leads to ANGER! ANGER leads to HATE! HATE leads to - LET'S NOT GO THERE!
Old September 11th, 2009 (12:55 AM).

I actually preferred Shatterpoint to 2001. (the book)
I don't like the movies very much. The books are better.
I'll be sure to read that then.

YES! FEAR!

FEAR leads to ANGER! ANGER leads to HATE! HATE leads to - LET'S NOT GO THERE!
Amusing. The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear is where George Lucas ripped off that particular line.
Old September 11th, 2009 (01:03 AM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Amusing. The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear is where George Lucas ripped off that particular line.
Because they're just so similar, right? Right.

Anyway, now that we're on the topic of science fiction, I like me some ponderation with my laseration. Movies like Gattaca, Bladerunner, Primer...good stuff, those. Not that I'm opposed to Star Wars: quite the contrary. Take out Jar Jar Binks and the general money mongering and fan pandering that was Episodes I-III, and I like that particular universe as well.

Good lord, I do believe I'm high on sleep deprivation. Time to go write that LatiasxLatios story. *shaky thumbs up*
Old September 11th, 2009 (01:10 AM).

Quote originally posted by txteclipse:
Because they're just so similar, right? Right.
George Lucas was originally going to film an adaptation of Dune without Frank Herbert's permission, so Frank sued him and Lucas scrambled to basically change names and the basic premise.

My issue is that George Lucas didn't even bother to do any real changes. I can bring up a list of dozens of things that are nearly exactly the same as in Dune.

Quote:
Anyway, now that we're on the topic of science fiction, I like me some ponderation with my laseration. Movies like Gattaca, Bladerunner, Primer...good stuff, those. Not that I'm opposed to Star Wars: quite the contrary. Take out Jar Jar Binks and the general money mongering that was Episodes I-III, and I like that particular universe as well.
Gattaca is a favorite. I own it on DVD and have fond memories of watching it with my ex. (We even did that after prom) Bladerunner was good, but awfully slow. I'm sure I could get a better experience with a different cut... And if I was to watch the prequel trilogy again, I'd do it with the Phantom Cut, which does just what you said: removed Jar Jar Binks and many other things to make a much better film.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)