Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fanfiction Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2009 (06:30 PM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding language etc.
Usually, I like to comment on the way the author portrys his characters and if there's any gore involved, how gory it is. I tend to avoid commas and dialogue tags but sometimes I just can't help it.

On the subject of promises. I promise to read and review The Last Rocket, Finish HWIMAR, finish AEM, and read Feign's Fic if I'm able to finish three chapters of my new fic and two oneshots by next year. It's a lot but I needed to get motivated. XD

Wishing everyone luck on their promises. Bay, Looking forward to The Last Rocket. Also, Whisper where is Shattered?
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 5th, 2009 (07:19 PM). Edited November 5th, 2009 by Misheard Whisper.
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
Quote originally posted by Bay:
When was the last time you gave a review?
Kyuu-chan's original version of her one shot, which I think I was more snarky than MW's review. D:
OH NO IT WAS NOT. :/ Mine was so snarky I got into a flame war about it (with someone who didn't even write the story) which ended with each of us on the other's Ignore list. I almost lost a friend, too (Kyuu-chan). T_T And I deleted the review, which took me a whole afternoon to write. Longest review I ever gave, and all for naught.
Quote originally posted by Abnegation:

Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding langauge etc.
Hey, Gavin. Don't see you round here often. Anyway, I usually do one of two things. I give a long-winded stream-of-consciousness review, quoting anything and everything that catches my eye, good or bad, and saying why. Usually spelling is my main focus, as I have a natural abhorrence of bad spelling.

Quote originally posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie:

Wishing everyone luck on their promises. Bay, Looking forward to The Last Rocket. Also, Whisper where is Shattered?
Shattered is on hiatus while NaNoWriMo is eats my time, my sanity and my soul. :/
Old November 5th, 2009 (08:05 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mine was so snarky I got into a flame war about it (with someone who didn't even write the story) which ended with each of us on the other's Ignore list.
If you had reported the flamewar with the person you got in it with, I could have handed out an infraction because of how downright insulting said person was. Now it's just too late for anything for me to do.

Reports are really kind of necessary when the moderator isn't feeling well/too busy to check all the posts in the section.
t
o
o
n

n
e
t
w
o
r
k

staff collab
april 2o15
Old November 5th, 2009 (08:21 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

I was equally guilty of being an ass. *shrug* And it was over VM anyways.
Old November 5th, 2009 (08:32 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

I looked up the thread in question, and you didn't start off being an ass. You offered advice to the author, albeit with a bit of attitude. It didn't warrant your stories being called boring when your stories weren't in question in the review.

And over VMs doesn't matter. If it's still a flame, it still needs to be reported.

Meh, I'll just keep a close eye on everyone for a bit. I actually have the time again.

When was the last time you gave a review?
A few minutes ago? Really just to back Feign up.

Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding langauge etc.
Really, I just talk about what I know, and don't mention what I don't know.

Yeah, this is why I don't answer bold topics. I have nothing to say in response to them.
t
o
o
n

n
e
t
w
o
r
k

staff collab
april 2o15
Old November 5th, 2009 (08:36 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

I guess I'd just prefer to stubbornly try and solve my own problems. :/

Anyway, it's long over. :3
Old November 5th, 2009 (08:46 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky
Lol Asti, then in that case, you'll just have to spruce up your responses with colour and flashing things. XD

I try to avoid arguments myself... Debates are fun in a controlled environment though...

Hopefully Mizan, I can get my next chapter up on Saturday, and perhaps be as ambitious to at least start the next one...
Old November 5th, 2009 (08:52 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
But it's our job to try and solve your problems for you! =P But yeah, reports are what make PC go round. And round and round and round...

Last time I gave a review was a few weeks back. Generally I touch on what I thought was good and bad, and why I thought those things, and maybe how to improve stuff as well if anything needs improving. I also tend to point out spelling/grammatical errors if I see any. Hmm, might start again now I have time. Time, I say! (At least until I disappear to Tasmania for a family holiday).
Old November 5th, 2009 (08:55 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

I should steal your time! XD

I was in Tasmania for Christmas, they had a Christmas lunch in Hobart. XD
Old November 6th, 2009 (03:11 AM). Edited November 6th, 2009 by EkaSwede.
Bouncy Bitter Bagel

Nature: Hasty
Well, yes. I often comment on mixed words such as "then/than", "your/you're" etc etc.

Often because mistakes like those aren't caught by spellcheckers, and some of them can be eyesores. Also, sometimes one manages to slip on their keyboard and type in another word, yet isn't noticable. For example, what say someone writes that "I'll kick your ass!", but slip on one key, making the sentence become: "I'll lick your ass!"

Thats just one of the examples.... curse the S/D keys, the I/O/U keys, and K/L keys. They're often the most responsible! XD

When you find the one that you think it's your favourite, it turns out it's filled with stuff that makes you want to vomit.
Old November 6th, 2009 (09:30 AM).
Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by EkaSwede:
Well, yes. I often comment on mixed words such as "then/than", "your/you're" etc etc.

Often because mistakes like those aren't caught by spellcheckers, and some of them can be eyesores. Also, sometimes one manages to slip on their keyboard and type in another word, yet isn't noticable. For example, what say someone writes that "I'll kick your ass!", but slip on one key, making the sentence become: "I'll lick your ass!"

Thats just one of the examples.... curse the S/D keys, the I/O/U keys, and K/L keys. They're often the most responsible! XD
How true. I think whoever designed the QWERTY keyboard was out to get us! Lol.

Quote:

Why yes I don't. Lol. I don't review because I don't wish to make enemies. =D

You're a dummy head. :3
Old November 6th, 2009 (09:38 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote originally posted by darkcowboy:
Why yes I don't. Lol. I don't review because I don't wish to make enemies. =D
Reviews can make you friends if you do them properly and with less snark(no offense to anyone offended,).
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 6th, 2009 (09:41 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

The QWERTY keyboard was designed for maximum efficiency for typewriter-users. You see, if you hit two adjacent keys on a typewriter too closely together (ie time. You know how fast some people type.) there was a chance the thingies would jam. So to counter this, the designer of the QWERTY keyboard placed letters next to other letters that were nearly never used directly before or after them. In some respects, they did an OK job. How many wourds do you see with 'qw' in them? Or 'kl'? But then we have things like 'er' and 'op', but I guess those are unavoidable. :/
Old November 6th, 2009 (09:46 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote originally posted by Misheard Whisper:
The QWERTY keyboard was designed for maximum efficiency for typewriter-users. You see, if you hit two adjacent keys on a typewriter too closely together (ie time. You know how fast some people type.) there was a chance the thingies would jam. So to counter this, the designer of the QWERTY keyboard placed letters next to other letters that were nearly never used directly before or after them. In some respects, they did an OK job. How many wourds do you see with 'qw' in them? Or 'kl'? But then we have things like 'er' and 'op', but I guess those are unavoidable. :/
So then, in response to this...

Who here uses/wants to use a Dvorak keyboard for typing?
I for one am glad with my QWERTY keyboard. The Dvorak keyboard discriminates against people who are left-handed and they're hard to find.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 6th, 2009 (09:46 AM).
Goldsmith

Reviews can make you friends if you do them properly and with less snark(no offense to anyone offended,).
True true. They can either make friends. If you do it wrong, they can make you enemies.

EDIT: A honest reviewer is a good reviewer and can make you friends. A jerk review (ex. your story is the worst in existence, go die in a fire) can make an enemy. XD

"To me, jumping out into the rainy sky on a mad night is nothing more than a bit of fun to go with a drink." -Kinzo
Old November 6th, 2009 (10:45 AM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Well reviewing Citty's Prologue is what got me to become friends with him.
Old November 6th, 2009 (10:56 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Feign:
Well reviewing Citty's Prologue is what got me to become friends with him.
iirc, it was the same for me. I kind of dropped off after a little while, though.
Old November 6th, 2009 (11:10 AM).
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Misheard Whisper, all right you got me there. D:

Astinus, don't worry, that's why I don't reply to bold topics all the time either- my responses are eh. Heck, half the time I mention NE and no one here read it yet. D: I try to be active as much here as possible but it's hard if you only have a few people doing the conversation and not everyone else is able to join, like mentioning how you got friends with Citty by reviewing D:

Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding language etc.
When I was doing the reviews for the Heart and Soul contest at Serebii, I just basically mention the good things I like about it and what needs work. I tend to mention things like canon, characters, content, and writing style the writer is using. For the SWC contest, I remember I have to go through grammar, other elements of writing (plot, characters, description), and how well it fits to the theme of the story. On my regular reviews though, I tend to say things about the plot of the chapter, characters, and description since those areas I can explain well and give advice if I found something wrong.

As for the keyboard question...I'm not even sure what a Dvorak keyboard is, so...the other keyboard for me. XD

Current FF&W Challenges and Discussions
Flash Fiction Week #10
Genre of the week (Monster)
2015 Writing Blitz Challenge(Coming soon!)

[The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet] [ Tumblr]
[Partner in Crime] [Cousin]
Old November 6th, 2009 (11:14 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

This is a Dvorak Keyboard. It's designed for faster typing, I guess. I've never used one. I use an ergonomic QWERTY keyboard from Microsoft right now. And it's cool. XD
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 6th, 2009 (11:17 AM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, when I was in Monaco, I used Dvorak keyboard... man that was confusing, I continually spelled things wrong, and decided to hell with it, and type as close to english as I could, without having to correct every other mistake, so the email I sent out was probably readable, but cringe worthy.
Old November 6th, 2009 (11:38 AM).
Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!

Nature: Lonely
Well that's very true. Maybe I'm just lazy and use my wish to not offend anyone as an excuse. =D Lol.

Quote originally posted by Sgt Shock:
EDIT: A honest reviewer is a good reviewer and can make you friends. A jerk review (ex. your story is the worst in existence, go die in a fire) can make an enemy. XD
Well I've never given a jerk review so I guess I'm in the clear. Lol.

Who here uses/wants to use a Dvorak keyboard for typing?
I for one am glad with my QWERTY keyboard. The Dvorak keyboard discriminates against people who are left-handed and they're hard to find.
If I were so inclined to get one, I wonder what it would be like to find a laptop with a Dvorak keyboard XD

You're a dummy head. :3
Old November 6th, 2009 (11:50 AM).
Bouncy Bitter Bagel

Nature: Hasty
Dvorak keyboard? Probably slightly racist here, but Dvorak sounds rather Russian. Dvorak, comrade!

When you find the one that you think it's your favourite, it turns out it's filled with stuff that makes you want to vomit.
Old November 6th, 2009 (11:58 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by EkaSwede:
Dvorak keyboard? Probably slightly racist here, but Dvorak sounds rather Russian. Dvorak, comrade!
Patented by this dude and his brother-in-law. His family was Czech, so yeah.
Old November 6th, 2009 (01:03 PM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
I'm too used to the QWERTY keyboard.
Old November 6th, 2009 (01:05 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Me too. I could never use anything else. *fixes ironic typo OF DOOM*

Sponsored Links