The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
How do you feel about prologues in fics?
I've noticed that most fics on here have a prologue of sorts, and I've never really liked that. While some of some of my favorite parts of novels are the prologue and appendixes, it's usually a sign of a bad writer when they write a prologue that sets up the background of the story and/or universe.

The best kind of writer doesn't tell you what state the world is in via a prologue. Rather, they show it by developing the story and characters. Tolkien did this in the Lord of the Rings. He didn't start out with a prologue explaining the history of the One Ring, or even a summary of the Silmarillion... He started with Frodo and made hints here and there, and only told exactly what was going on at the Council of Elrond, a few hundred pages in. At this point you actually cared about the world, when in the case of most prologues you're just getting a history lesson, and who cares, right?

This is especially obvious in many movies... If there's a prologue of sorts, especially a long one, then you can probably bet that the movie itself will be near-incomprehensible unless you're familiar with the source-material. If you really need a prologue to set up a movie, then you're probably not developing the characters or plot in the right way. Most books these days, particularly bad fantasy, have a habit of doing this. Usually they're trying to pull a Tolkien by establishing a mythos, but do it all wrong.

Ha. Looks like I rambled on there... Well, getting to the point, how do all of you feel about use of prologues in fics? How do you feel about your own use of them? Do you do anything to avoid the usual pitfalls associated with them, or do you just not care and set up the world so you can jump right into the action? (Ironically, I can't seem to work around writing a prologue for my epic fic. It's not really a "This is the state of the world" kind of prologue, but it sets some things up regardless)
Hmm, I may have a qualm there - although the wording of 'usually a sign of a bad writer' doesn't make it absolute, it doesn't mean that someone who uses prologues is a bad writer, nor will most probably be a bad writer. Prologues can make for bad info-dumps if all they are there for is to do just so, but not always are the such, and stories with them can still establish the same things a story can without a prologue - I suppose prologues are merely a way to inform and set up the scene, atmosphere, etc, and some stories work well with one in doing that.

Not all prologues give a history lesson - some just offer a different perspective, or show an event that'll happen later, or so forth as well. As for the example of Tolkein, I raise you a Ursula K. Le Guin who has used prologues in some of her stories, and well IMO. Or John Hoffernan. Or Michael Crichton. I don't think the best kind of writer always chooses to go without a prologue. (And I also suppose a 'bet' writer is a subjective matter, but meh).

Movies probably are harder to pull off an effective prologue, I suppose, but again it depends on the story it's trying to tell and all. Also there are times prologues can be well done, such as... Pulp Fiction, for instance. I'll agree that prologues have the opportunity to be bad if they are just info-dumps and so forth there, but they aren't usually a sign of a bad writer, IMO. Info-dumps bad, well-written good. (Or maybe I just don't read nearly as many bad prologues as you have, or ones that aim to solely set up the world/history? =P) So I wouldn't worry about trying to work around using one in your fic, is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie View Post
Today I saw a boy(about sixteen years old) giving a talk about how Fiction Novels(Harry Potter, Twilight, ect.) actually made you more stupid than you actually are. He said this because whenever he asked someone why they read these books, they would reply with, "to improve my English." It annoys me to no end that he accused the books that have helped inspire writers and get some kids interested in reading, to actually make you even more stupid. The alternative, that he stated, would be to read something beneficial such as Law or complicated Physics. In my opinion, these kind of books would most likely turn off some people from reading at all.

Which brings us to our next topic:
Do you think reading fiction is beneficial if well written. Why?
It depends on the story but I feel it can be beneficial to read well-written fiction. Maybe not necessarily in the same way reading applied physics would, but then again there are stories which may include information about history or objects or so forth which are woven into the tale itself.

Then there's the entertainment and relaxation aspect stories can/may give, the author may allow you to consider concepts, or consider them in a different manner, and for writers like us it's always good to read well-written stuff to see ways good stories can be pulled off to improve our english/writing skills, etc. (Reading fanfics actually has helped me a lot with this in a-ways). I'd also argue poorly-written fiction (or just ok/decent/whatever fiction) can also be beneficial as then you can see how to not write, and learn from that as well. I'd say reading fiction books basically can offer different, less obvious and factual/understanding-of-things-based benefits to non-fiction books.
Quote:
Also,
What do you base your non-canon fic characters off? Yourselves, Sentrets with flamethrowers? People in the FFL?

Who did not tl;dr this raise their hand... XDDDD
It varies - some may (loosely) have aspects of myself or other people, although none are ever close to me, I have to say... usually I just brainstorm a bit and the character comes about by themselves one way or another with little basing of anything off anyone.

Oh, and... *raises hand* But what's this about long posts being bad? They can be more fun to read and offer to discussion and all... begone, you silly rule! =P

Last edited by bobandbill; November 11th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Quote:
Also, *raises hand*. You'll understand that if you're supposed to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Oh, and... *raises hand* But what's this about long posts being bad? They can be more fun to read and offer to discussion and all... begone, you silly rule! =P
Thanks.
I was referring to the fact that some(but not all) people sometimes tl;dr posts in eagerness to answer the current bold topic. In which case the conversation loses its essence and the topic becomes one-sided.

Quote:
Do-not-tl;dr Posts Policy
This means don't tl;dr other members posts, not don't post tl;dr worthy posts by the way. XD
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Hmm, I may have a qualm there - although the wording of 'usually a sign of a bad writer' doesn't make it absolute, it doesn't mean that someone who uses prologues is a bad writer, nor will most probably be a bad writer. Prologues can make for bad info-dumps if all they are there for is to do just so, but not always are the such, and stories with them can still establish the same things a story can without a prologue - I suppose prologues are merely a way to inform and set up the scene, atmosphere, etc, and some stories work well with one in doing that.
I think a better word I could have used was "inexperienced" writer. Certainly many people that use prologues can be good at writing and telling a story, but most that use a prologue are inexperienced in the sense they feel it's something they have to do or just don't realize can be worked into the story.

Quote:
Not all prologues give a history lesson - some just offer a different perspective, or show an event that'll happen later, or so forth as well. As for the example of Tolkein, I raise you a Ursula K. Le Guin who has used prologues in some of her stories, and well IMO. Or John Hoffernan. Or Michael Crichton. I don't think the best kind of writer always chooses to go without a prologue. (And I also suppose a 'bet' writer is a subjective matter, but meh).
By prologue I meant "10,000 years ago Gog Magog rose from the depths of Hel'des and began conquering the lands of Niph'leihem... [10 pages later] A valiant effort was raised by the Soldiers of Run der Quilham, and... [30 pages later] Gog Magog was cast down into the waves of the Eastern Sea, his blood melting into the foam that would later form the Sil-qee mermaids, vile creatures of sorcery and seduction... [Still 3 pages later] And his brow formed the chasm of the Serpent, a beast that willows and churns the sea into hot steam, its anger demanding sacrifice lest it rise to the surface and devour the ships or our people."

And yeah. You get the point. The other kind of prologue, a simple "Three years ago" and a minor event that seems important, but you don't why, are the kind that work. Or the ones that are almost a mini-story in themselves, only to be fleshed out into a much broader story in the coming chapters. The above example is much too much, and a common trait of some fantasy novels, while the minor kind is perfectly acceptable and largely what is done in our own fics.

Quote:
Movies probably are harder to pull off an effective prologue, I suppose, but again it depends on the story it's trying to tell and all. Also there are times prologues can be well done, such as... Pulp Fiction, for instance. I'll agree that prologues have the opportunity to be bad if they are just info-dumps and so forth there, but they aren't usually a sign of a bad writer, IMO. Info-dumps bad, well-written good. (Or maybe I just don't read nearly as many bad prologues as you have, or ones that aim to solely set up the world/history? =P) So I wouldn't worry about trying to work around using one in your fic, is all.
Yes, I've seen good and bad film prologues. The Lord of the Rings prologue, simply a narrative detailing the poem of the Rings, was simple and brilliant. The following scene of the armies massing against Sauron verged on infodump, but they kept it clean and it wasn't a big issue.

Now, I want to warn you, but this is quite possibly one of the worst prologues in the history of film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FUAQ-dAh0g

Luckily, there's an alternative prologue. Basically, a prologue can make or break a film. The same is true for novels: you have to be able to make people care about the world in ways other than history lessons.

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

(Image courtesy of Broadway)

Old November 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Shrike Flamestar
The Invisible!

Location: Within the synapses of the internet and my own mind.
Send a message via AIM to Shrike Flamestar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shrike Flamestar
Gaiz gaiz gaiz!

Sup.

I hadn't been planning on posting in here again for a while at least due to reasons not that different from Jax's, but what the hey, I'll bite.

I'd like to turn this question on the head and ask why everyone who is against prologues are assuming that they're always just some big massive info dump with no relevance to the story at hand. Prologues are not created equal, people. You can have prologues that take place in the distant past, to set up the backstory, and which perhaps are the most likely to be info dumps if written poorly. However, you can also have prologues that take place in the future, to build anticipation and make the reader wonder what's going to happen, but because you'll be leading up to that point in the story it's rare to see an info dump here. You can have prologues set in the present, but not focused on who the story initially focuses on, a rarer technique which has limited use in general but can be really great when used well. You can have prologues that simply set the tone and setting of the story without conveying much actual information, as I used in TFCv2. You can have prologues that, at the time, take place in the future before leaping into the past for the opening chapters to explain what happened to reach that point, as I used in TRINITY (although to be fair, it wasn't originally a prologue and really isn't that great of a prologue since it reads like a chapter. I may change the name to... Chapter 0 or something. Yeah...).

Yes, some prologues are info dumps, but not all. You can't just condemn a whole aspect of writing because not every single author on the planet uses it as you think they should. Hell, I'd say that the numbers of prologues that serve purely as info dumps really aren't that many and those that actually serve useful purposes far outweigh them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina of Never-Turn-Back
Hence, I will skim most prologues or maybe even skip, to come back to them in a few chapters once I know that it is a good story.
That's basically a criminal act in my book. Would you skip over a chapter just because you don't like it? That prologue very well may contain information you need to know in order to understand the plot (my own TRINITY comes to mind, and Jax's AEM borders on it while also setting the scene and tone), and skipping it would just leave you confused and ruin the whole story. Any good, competent writer will make every single bit of writing in the story have some larger importance. Whether that importance is to advance the plot, further the characterization, set the tone and setting, foreshadow and hint at future events, and so on that prologue will have contained writing that was meant to be read. While it may not always ruin the story, it could, and most often will, take away from the experience if you just skip it outright.

What do you base your non-canon fic characters off? Yourselves, Sentrets with flamethrowers? People in the FFL?
Various fragments of my personality, twisted and mutilated to the point where in some cases they may not resemble me at all, while in others there are clear parallels between the character and me.
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
EkaSwede
Bouncy Bitter Bagel

Nature: Hasty
Not Sentret with Flamethrowers, though I rather had Rattat with Flame Wheel

When you find the one that you think it's your favourite, it turns out it's filled with stuff that makes you want to vomit.
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike Flamestar View Post
I'd like to turn this question on the head and ask why everyone who is against prologues are assuming that they're always just some big massive info dump with no relevance to the story at hand.
Note my post above yours... I don't mean to suggest all prologues are like this, just that it's usually a sign of a bad writer if they're published, and an inexperienced writer if amateur.

Quote:
That's basically a criminal act in my book. Would you skip over a chapter just because you don't like it? That prologue very well may contain information you need to know in order to understand the plot, and skipping it would just leave you confused and ruin the whole story.
That's exactly the "bad" kind of prologue I mean. You shouldn't have to read the first prologue, chapter, or whatever to fully understand what's happening. It should be a basic understanding that slowly eases into more complicated issues while making you care.

Anthony Burgess didn't put a dictionary in front of A Clockwork Orange to help you understand Nadsat, he pushed you right into the world and you "go native" with it. A brilliant writer knows how to incorporate prologue-information throughout the story. Therefore, most info-prologues are bad writing. But, please, keep in mind that I have no qualms with the other kind of prologue.

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

Old November 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Shrike Flamestar
The Invisible!

Location: Within the synapses of the internet and my own mind.
Send a message via AIM to Shrike Flamestar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shrike Flamestar
Redstar, that blows my mind in so many ways I can't even put them into words. Just know that in my mind I am, as I always have been, screaming and swearing and writhing in metaphorical pain.

I don't even know what to say here. It's so absurd. I can understand the qualms about that specific info dump type of prologue but that's not what ANYONE but you is talking about. You just came in and said prologues, without clarification as to what you mean. And BTW, I was writing my post before BnB posted his. My points still stand though.

But then, you go and completely miss the point of what I said? What I meant is that every piece of writing in a story has a meaning, and by skipping one piece (the prologue) you lose that meaning and the impact it has on the story. That meaning doesn't have to be an info-dump, I didn't even allude to that. Stop assuming I mean things in a certain way. And if nothing else, skipping over a piece of writing is the height of disrespect to the author who spent their time writing that for people to read, not skip over as if it's some worthless piece of trash.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Redstar, that blows my mind in so many ways I can't even put them into words. Just know that in my mind I am, as I always have been, screaming and swearing and writhing in metaphorical pain.
Relax. I'm not trying to argue anything here. :3

Quote:
I don't even know what to say here. It's so absurd. I can understand the qualms about that specific info dump type of prologue but that's not what ANYONE but you is talking about. You just came in and said prologues, without clarification as to what you mean. And BTW, I was writing my post before BnB posted his. My points still stand though.
While my bold topic was more general, my own response to it was fairly specific. I was talking about information-prologues specifically, though anyone was free to talk about any kind of prologue if they so chose, which they did. Clarification wasn't needed because I wasn't trying to specify a particular kind of prologue, though what kind I was personally thinking of should have been rather clear due to my initial response and my later discussion of it with bobandbill and others.

Quote:
But then, you go and completely miss the point of what I said? What I meant is that every piece of writing in a story has a meaning, and by skipping one piece (the prologue) you lose that meaning and the impact it has on the story. That meaning doesn't have to be an info-dump, I didn't even allude to that. Stop assuming I mean things in a certain way. And if nothing else, skipping over a piece of writing is the height of disrespect to the author who spent their time writing that for people to read, not skip over as if it's some worthless piece of trash.
Yes, every piece of writing in a story has a meaning... But do all writers apply meaning to the nuances in their writing? No, they don't. Some aren't that experienced, while others just don't event try. It would be nice if every writer put that much thought into their work, but sadly not every one does. And the ones that don't are the ones I'm talking about.

I should probably go into some detail as what I feel about prologues so you can have a better understanding of what I mean. Please realize that this is all my opinion and I never meant to narrow my bold topic.

There are four basic kinds of prologues: informational, character, story, and thematic.

Informational is the kind I was talking about for the most part, which is typically bad due to inexperience. An informational prologue does nothing but explains things. No real character, no narrator sometimes, just a plain old textbook. This is weak, boring, and bad writing. If this is the only kind of prologue someone is doing, then all that's in it is better worked into the story.

Character prologues establish a character, usually protagonist. Any real story or information is generally absent, with the real focus on showing a character doing something definitive of what kind of person they are. This is also a possible bad kind of prologue, which can hold information easily worked into the first chapter.

Story prologues usually work with a character to set the stage. Unlike a simple character prologue, something happens, whether you know the implications of it or not. The character could be developed or just a viewpoint-device. These kinds usually have a "x amount of time ago".

And, finally, Theme prologues don't usually have any of the above at all. These kind are usually just dictionaries, encyclopedia entries, or quotes (fictional or real) that establish the kind of world you're about to enter. Also usually an info-dump, but has some distinct character to it.

My point is that using just one of this are usually the signs of a bad writer. A good prologue usually combines aspects of more than one. For example, a good informational prologue would have some real story development often carried by a character to make the world more vibrant. Simply dumping a background summary of the world-at-hand is not good.

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from now.

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Not trying to argue here, but a couple things I want to point out. They're just my opinions on your points, though.

Quote:
Story prologues usually work with a character to set the stage. Unlike a simple character prologue, something happens, whether you know the implications of it or not. The character could be developed or just a viewpoint-device. These kinds usually have a "x amount of time ago".
I don't think Story prologue just focuses on what happened on a character. In fact, I think they're more focusing on the events that happened. My fic NE has a prologue that deals with events that happened four years prior. As I mentioned before, those events are what sets the stage for what happened later in the story and also when the characters tried to figure out what happened during that four year gap (which is very important in NE). Doesn't really focus too much on the development of characters until later in the story.

Quote:
My point is that using just one of this are usually the signs of a bad writer. A good prologue usually combines aspects of more than one. For example, a good informational prologue would have some real story development often carried by a character to make the world more vibrant. Simply dumping a background summary of the world-at-hand is not good.

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from now.
While I agree it's better to have all aspects of a prologue to be put in a story, I don't agree you have to have all of them in it. Depending what you're trying to achieve for your story, perhaps info dump might be a better way to introduce your story. Yes, I said I don't like info dumps that much, but if the execution is done right, then it's worhtwhile.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay View Post
I don't think Story prologue just focuses on what happened on a character. In fact, I think they're more focusing on the events that happened. My fic NE has a prologue that deals with events that happened four years prior. As I mentioned before, those events are what sets the stage for what happened later in the story and also when the characters tried to figure out what happened during that four year gap (which is very important in NE). Doesn't really focus too much on the development of characters until later in the story.
That's what I said, didn't I? "The character could be developed or just a viewpoint-device." Story prologues don't need to have characters, but they usually do to some degree. But they're not usually much more than a view-point device, and mostly end up dying before the prologue's out or disappearing only to turn up halfway through the actual book.

Quote:
While I agree it's better to have all aspects of a prologue to be put in a story, I don't agree you have to have all of them in it. Depending what you're trying to achieve for your story, perhaps info dump might be a better way to introduce your story. Yes, I said I don't like info dumps that much, but if the execution is done right, then it's worhtwhile.
Exactly. I'm saying if you're going to do a prologue, it's best to balance two types of them while introducing the information found in the other two throughout the actual story. One type of prologue is too little and makes for a lesson, while three or more ends up just being a straight chapter.

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Quote:
That's what I said, didn't I? "The character could be developed or just a viewpoint-device." Story prologues don't need to have characters, but they usually do to some degree. But they're not usually much more than a view-point device, and mostly end up dying before the prologue's out or disappearing only to turn up halfway through the actual book.
I'm not talking about viewpoints. I'm talking about just a story prologue portraying an event in which the viewpoint will most likely be the narrator's (if not talking first person point of view). Then again, maybe I'm repeating what you said here. ;

Quote:
Exactly. I'm saying if you're going to do a prologue, it's best to balance two types of them while introducing the information found in the other two throughout the actual story. One type of prologue is too little and makes for a lesson, while three or more ends up just being a straight chapter.
Er...I actually meant it's all right if to have just one type of prologue if done right. There's no criteria if a prologue is one type or many. It's the execution that seals the deal.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
I'm not talking about viewpoints. I'm talking about just a story prologue portraying an event in which the viewpoint will most likely be the narrator's (if not talking first person point of view). Then again, maybe I'm repeating what you said here. ;
I don't even know what I said (too tired), but I think we're agreeing here.

Quote:
Er...I actually meant it's all right if to have just one type of prologue if done right. There's no criteria if a prologue is one type or many. It's the execution that seals the deal.
Well, I can agree to that. I'm not saying that a prologue is always bad if done in any of the ways I said could make it bad, but from my experience they usually are. Basically, my qualms with prologues are the kind you see in the beginning of Eragon and nu-fantasy crap like that. It seems like they only do it because prologues "are fantasy".

Now, if a writer took into consideration all my points above they could easily make any prologue that I say is usually bad good. But writers (and I mean the pulp writers) and the majority of fan-ficcers don't think of the intricacies and just do it bad. There's always a way to subvert things if you know what you're doing. People just usually don't.

Old November 12th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Eliminator Jr.
Gym Leader

Do you follow the normal rules of battling when writing a Pokemon battle, or do you hold a no-rules fight that can involve guns and the such?
No, can't say I do. Usually, anything goes, otherwise they're not realistic. For example, it's just stupid to think that a Charmander will forget how to scratch someone because they already know how to do four things and have to free up memory space. It's not like I have to constantly teach myself TM: Play guitar or HM: Take a dump in order to remember things. Also, there's no rule against trainers only carrying six Pokémon, or even having triple battles, or an all out. Of course, the government might be against it but criminals if they wanted could release fifty Pokémon at once providing they all knew what to do.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Wow, Shrike and Redstar almost got into an argument and I wasn't here...
I really should post more...

New bolded topic!(Again)
As some of you know, writing can sometimes get tedious. Therefore;
Have any of you ever used a voice recognition software to write with? Any results? Do you want to use one?
For me, I don't think I trust voice recognition software to do my writing for me. I did play with it once a long time ago and surprisingly, I managed to dig up the result in the deep, dark recesses of my computer.

Quote:
But What you should be what Turn them from land very strong run very strong Michael Jackson by fax Phil Jackson asing soul help I may not that’s Have the held me topped the Setting in and steady know stating will stay home force the is you as and you and the B. C. passed a She should shut to words will fetch deeper for the war number rating will play for I am Michael fax from Simi poll in the back strew Earth will He can keep in part by the Michael Jackson and bristles cranberry song cranberry sauce though no and will be in will The and spending mold spanning will spend that For further warm Us were further warm Dorothy cyclone on an on an aunt and am Paris a cycle coming
As you can see, it's not very good. The only words i managed to get it to recognize accurately were 'Cranberry Sauce' and 'Michael Jackson(RIP)'. Also, I wasn't trying to write anything coherent in the first place...
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Feign
Clain

Nature: Quirky
Have any of you ever used a voice recognition software to write with? Any results? Do you want to use one?

I've used one for lulz only... Not serious writing, though if I recall, it did not hear my voice clearly and wrote some other things. I've also played around with Microsoft Sam and replaying what I wrote (man that sounds dirty).

I've encouraged Citty to use it though, for his fic having one less arm for a while, but sadly he does not have a mic. *sends off a mic to NZ* XD

I also made a stride with my fic. I wrote one sentence. Yes one sentence people. XD I would have written more, but whilst getting distracted with playing Devil May Cry 4, the laptop overheated and shut down.
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post
I also made a stride with my fic. I wrote one sentence. Yes one sentence people. XD I would have written more, but whilst getting distracted with playing Devil May Cry 4, the laptop overheated and shut down.
I'm having the same problem. Only I'm playing Spore(on my new (shared)laptop. :D ). I can't seem to put it down and I really need to get my priorities straightened out. XD
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post
Psh, that's better than me. Well, kinda. I haven't written any fanfiction for a few weeks, but I've done a bit of NaNoWriMo at least.

Who thinks I can write 5000 words today? :D

...Well I sure don't.

Old November 12th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Feign
Clain

Lol yeah... *neglects Philosophy assignment*.

Not sure if I will have time this weekend either
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
GO TXTY GO

I haven't been writing much either. Which is bad, considering I have a deadline to meet!

In other news, though, I passed halfway this morning!

EDIT: Widget in the signature is a few hours behind :/
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

I haven't really written ANYTHING since I posted The Last Rocket. D: You guys are in better shape than me. XD

GO TXTY AND MW, GO! :3
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:38 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
I am summarily waging war against that word goal. My weapon of choice continues to be Write or Die. Three hours until my next class: I should be able to get a nice chunk done if I concentrate. Expect that little green bar to get longer as the day progresses...

Coincidentally, would anyone care to read as I go? The chapters are inherently unpolished, but it should at least be entertaining in one way or another, whether you like the story or laugh at how crappy my first drafts are.

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Quote:
That's basically a criminal act in my book. Would you skip over a chapter just because you don't like it? That prologue very well may contain information you need to know in order to understand the plot (my own TRINITY comes to mind, and Jax's AEM borders on it while also setting the scene and tone), and skipping it would just leave you confused and ruin the whole story.
Never did I say I would ignore it entirely, and usually a first or second chapter (or maybe, if I'm that sure, halfway through the first) is enough to establish whether it's just so dreadful I can't even read it or is decent enough to read or follow. I'll go back to read the prologue once I'm fairly sure that it's not literary slop, and usually prologues don't tie in directly with first or second chapters - though if it did mention the rest of the story directly I seem to recall learning that prologues are there to set the stage for the rest of the story and shouldn't include events vitally important to the absolute beginning (unless it's a two-shot or something). I do it because I know that I've turned away from potentially good stories by really boring prologues, and since they do usually tend to be background information they're not, in my experience, required to be read first.

I don't often skip prologues entirely, though.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizan Nix Zamnie View Post
Wow, Shrike and Redstar almost got into an argument and I wasn't here...
Almost. I (try) not to do that anymore.

Old November 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote:

Almost. I (try) not to do that anymore.
An excellent policy on life and social interactions if I do say so myself.

Quote:
I haven't really written ANYTHING since I posted The Last Rocket. D: You guys are in better shape than me. XD

GO TXTY AND MW, GO! :3
/Motivation. Go Bay go! Try to get something up before Transformers 3(hopefully by Michael Bay) comes out. XD
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
patch.
listen what I say, oh

Seems we're all against prologues here (well, most of us, anyway,) and typically I just wrote one. FML

Sponsored Links

Advertise here