Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Reload this Page Fanfiction Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2010 (03:47 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Quote originally posted by Mizan de la Plume Kuro:
Because I'm bored that no posting occurs while I'm active...
Sorry. I didn't get much sleep and don't want to make "serious modly decisions" when I can't read.

What are your thoughts on Sound Effects being worded out in fics?
I used them once in all the fics I wrote. I used "Plop" for the sound of raindrops falling, but I think that was done to show the character's increasing ability to hear.

Other than that, I've never used them because it never seemed necessary. I prefer "There was a loud explosion" compared to BOOM!!! randomly interjected in the narration.
Old February 14th, 2010 (03:52 PM).
The Dreamer

Nature: Relaxed
Eh, I don’t really have an opinion, but I think they’re a bit unneeded. There’s nothing wrong with just saying, for example, someone screamed or a loud explosion was heard. It’s the same idea, though, Sound Effects can make a scene more sudden and draw the reader’s attention to the event (i.e. an explosion) like it would in real life.
Old February 14th, 2010 (04:21 PM).
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky

My usage of them is similar to Dagzar's; unless they're used like "Marill leaped in the water with an obnoxious splash" or something, they'll only be used in situations where I need to draw attention to them, like the whole 'Thump thump scream repeat' thing early on in Delta Species.
Old February 14th, 2010 (05:19 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

I haven't had to use them that often (has anyone called it onomatopoeia here yet? XD). Needless to say, I've usually just described the sound. I find that both can be just as effective.
Old February 14th, 2010 (05:50 PM).
Absolutes do not exist

Nature: Sassy
Guys, quick question: What's the verdict for the review exchange thing here? I read the posts I missed here, but kinda confuse because it seems also you guys are talking about the awards at the same time. XD; So I assume this is a monthly thing and then later a separate thread to organize this review exchange thing? That is what bobandbill told me. D: This is what I get for being gone for three days due to school stuff. >.>

When describing your character's initial appearance, did you include their clothes in the description? If so how did you choose the color?
Well, for NE I had to because it's a mystery fic and usually in police investigations clothes are an important factor to finding the murderers and such. For my other stories I don't unless it gets ripped or someone is wearing something that is out of place with society because most of the time it's common sense that the characters are wearing them.

Quote originally posted by Feign:
I haven't had to use them that often (has anyone called it onomatopoeia here yet? XD). Needless to say, I've usually just described the sound. I find that both can be just as effective.
Haha, me too. XD

Anyways, I usually don't use the sound effects unless I really want it to be noticeable and to show suspense, so NE has a lot of onomatopoeia. Not sure about you guys, but sometimes when I'm reading a suspense scene the part "the plant exploded" passed by for me while something like "BAM!" makes me go, oh my gah! XD; However, there are times where too much onomatopoeia gets tacky, so a mix of that and just description should suffice.

"Probability is just probability, after all... Absolutes do not exist."
moderator of Fanfiction and Writing
Check out PokeCommunity's DeviantArt Group! You can submit your writings there too!
staff collab july 2015
Old February 14th, 2010 (06:51 PM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper

Yeah Feign, I was gonna call them onomatopoeia also, but I wasn't here. XD

I'm with Asty here. I'd prefer, for example, to say:

"The gun went off with a loud bang."

than

"BANG! The gun went off loudly."

Bad example, I know. I just like to make everything flow somewhat.

Also, English teacher sprung one on us today. Had to write a 250-400-word piece in one period today. No problem if I had my computer, but . . . I mean, I still made it with time to spare, but none of us had done any planning, like she said she was going to let us do, so we all kinda fumbled our way through it. :[
Old February 14th, 2010 (09:05 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly

I think they're decent things to use if not overdone or irrelevantly/when they don't fit. I've used some of them at times with my fic, but not too often. The examples listed as worse with the onomatopoeia (like MW's) I agree are worse with it than without...

Quote:
As for any awards, I'm in the boat that I don't read enough to make an informed nomination (I read like TWO fics here, and one is quite slow to update *glares at bobandbill*), and I seriously doubt that will change anytime in the foreseeable future (unless someone writes a really great trainer fic starring an all female cast, then I might be inclined to expand my horizons XD).
At least I'm consistently slow? ;P
Old February 14th, 2010 (09:22 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

Quote originally posted by Bay Alexison:
This is what I get for being gone for three days due to school stuff. >.>
Quit school then. Obvious answer.

But yeah, it's not really a review exchange thing. I pretty much stole the idea from the thread posted on SPPf called "Dozen Red Roses - A Reviewing Challenge" (which I'm not linking to because of lag, unfortunately). The basic explanation is there, pretty much. The difference between that one and PC's version is that ours is going to be a monthly thing instead of a once-a-year rush, and there's not a set amount of reviews that each volunteer needs to post.

The awards were brought up again because I asked everyone to repost whatever ideas we had before that I forgot about, and Mizan said "FFotY". So, my mind worked some way to connect both ideas and get them to work, and then it was bold question time, peeps.

We need a map to follow conversations here. Or a flow chart.
Old February 15th, 2010 (12:36 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Astinus:
We need a map to follow conversations here. Or a flow chart.
A map? A map? Babe, you need a NASA satellite GPS with at least fifty terabytes of memory.
Old February 15th, 2010 (07:34 AM).
what's your sign?

Someone needs to be on guard to summarize all the slop going on in here. ...ANDITSNOTGOINGTOBEMEMMHMM.
Old February 15th, 2010 (09:56 AM).
#1 Yancy fan
Gold Tier

Well, we kinda have solovino doing that, but it's still difficult. :/
Old February 15th, 2010 (10:00 AM).
what's your sign?

I know. But if we did have something like that, hopefully we wouldn't need to infiltrate the NASA building in order to hijack a satellite...
Old February 15th, 2010 (10:56 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
I wonder if Sol ever needs help or if he's still doing the BTI?

Besides the point,
Once we establish whether or not we want the monthly review thing and the FFOTY, we should definitely make a thread to discuss and possibly experiment with it further. :3

That's just me though, so go wild. XD
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old February 15th, 2010 (12:56 PM).
Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Misheard Whisper:
A map? A map? Babe, you need a NASA satellite GPS with at least fifty terabytes of memory.
I have an external HDD with 1 TB, will that work? I've only used about 100 mb. *shot*
Old February 15th, 2010 (07:04 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

I had the chance to get a 1 TB hard drive when I was trying to find a new computer. At the time, I wondered what I would do with a hard drive that big.

Now I know. It would be used to keep a guide to the FFL.

One of us should ask solovino if he wants help for the BTI.

Quote:
Once we establish whether or not we want the monthly review thing and the FFOTY, we should definitely make a thread to discuss and possibly experiment with it further.
Say "y" in answer to the question "Monthly review volunteer thing: y/n?" and I'll make the thread whenever [s]I feel like it[/i] there's enough finally "yesi" for the idea.

And when I get home, because I'm on right now at work. So in a small way, I do get paid for being a moderator.
Old February 15th, 2010 (11:00 PM).
Absolutes do not exist

Quote originally posted by Astinus:
I had the chance to get a 1 TB hard drive when I was trying to find a new computer. At the time, I wondered what I would do with a hard drive that big.

Now I know. It would be used to keep a guide to the FFL.

One of us should ask solovino if he wants help for the BTI.

Say "y" in answer to the question "Monthly review volunteer thing: y/n?" and I'll make the thread whenever [s]I feel like it[/i] there's enough finally "yesi" for the idea.

And when I get home, because I'm on right now at work. So in a small way, I do get paid for being a moderator.
I''ll ask solovino if he needs help. However, won't be able to help him because I'm working on the Fanfic Index, which I need to get to updating soon. XD;

Also, I say yes to separate threads on both the awards and the monthly review volunteer thing. Astinus if you want I can do a separate thread for one or both of them now. :3

Check out PokeCommunity's DeviantArt Group! You can submit your writings there too!
staff collab july 2015
Old February 15th, 2010 (11:45 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

If someone could handle the awards, that would be great for me. I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to running awards, so if someone else wants to carry the bulk of that, they have my permission.

And would it be rather odd to start a round of the monthly volunteer review service in the middle of the month? Would it terribly confuse people if it wasn't at the beginning of the month? It doesn't bother me any way, but if everyone would prefer starting it on the first day of March, then I can just write a sticky note to remind myself to post it on that day.

But it would be better for the awards discussion to have its own thread, since that has a lot to cover, and it would be terribly confusing to have it dashed around typical Lounge conversations.
Old February 16th, 2010 (01:05 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

I think I'll also ask Sol, since I think I don't have any commitments yet...

Also, yes on both seperate threads.

On that note, I'd be happy to volunteer for the FFOTY committee thing. XD
I'll get around to posting the proposal thread (not the actual thread, but the one for discussion) for discussion if everyone agrees for me to host it. :D

And yes to both.

Monthly review thing starts on March to give time to prepare and organize plus it's at the beginning of the month.
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old February 16th, 2010 (03:18 AM).
Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Mizan de la Plume Kuro:
I think I'll also ask Sol, since I think I don't have any commitments yet...
If you change your mind, let me know; I'll take over if either of you decided that you don't want to.
Old February 16th, 2010 (06:07 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Just a quick bold topic for you guys, partially because I'm interested in what everyone thinks so...

What do you, as either a reader or writer, think of Deus ex Machinas to end Fiction?
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old February 16th, 2010 (06:23 AM).
what's your sign?

What do you, as either a reader or writer, think of Deus ex Machinas to end Fiction?

Although this may sound something like an oxymoron, I don't mind deus ex machinas as long as they're believable deus ex machinas, and as long as there's some sort of input from the characters. Like, to have Arceus burst in the middle of a scene and stomp the villain into the ground, not so much. But if a character is a skilled summoner of Legendaries or something and was sumoning Arceus while he/she was tied up over a vat of painfully hot liquid, that would probably be okay. As a writer, I tried to make Giratina an involved and superpowered character but not causing her to induce a deus ex machina whenever she appeared. (That wasn't too hard, considering Giratina doesn't really like to be one anyway. She finds it boring.)
Old February 16th, 2010 (08:15 AM).
Absolutes do not exist

Go ahead and do the proposal thread on the awards thing, Mizan. :3 Also, I'm thinking maybe have a discussion thread on the review exchange and then in March the real thread?

I'll have to get back to doing the bold topic later because I got to study now. D:

staff collab july 2015
Old February 16th, 2010 (08:55 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quick question, but does everyone want a proposal thread where we discuss stuff first?

Because I was kinda on the impression that we actually have the voting in thread in December. :D

Apart from that, I'm still waiting to see if anyone else has any objections. It seems I have Bay's support and possibly Astinus' permission. :D
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old February 16th, 2010 (10:13 AM).
#TeamRockHillSC
Gold Tier

I'm for the idea, not that I think I can participate in either (fan fiction has been on the back burner for me lately). But for those who can, go for it

But let me get a timeline: If we start the review exchange thread in March, will the actual review exchange start in March or April?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Old February 16th, 2010 (11:42 AM).
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Quote originally posted by Elite Overlord LeSabre™:
But let me get a timeline: If we start the review exchange thread in March, will the actual review exchange start in March or April?
March, since most of the preparations would've been done beforehand in February. At least, that's what I think...
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.

SWC 2012 Second Place
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)