The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Game Development
Reload this Page Daily Nintendo solicits Pokémon Uranium creators to takedown download links

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old 1 Week Ago (4:46 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by El Héroe Oscuro.
Feeling a little inadequate?

Nature: Adamant
Nintendo of America takes action against the fangame Pokémon Uranium.

Click to read the full article here.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (4:52 PM).
Semi-pro Game Dev

Nature: Quiet
Well, that's life. It's a shame that NoA had to issue such notice on a project that had been going on for so long, but the saying goes "The instant you stop defending your IP is the instant it's no longer yours."

Old 1 Week Ago (7:03 PM).

Well when it got finished I didn't download it luckily a friend gave me a download. Now I have yet to play the game but I think that it would have been nice if they didn't have to take action on the game. Now on the other side they had the right to do it since it was technically their property.
Old 1 Week Ago (7:56 PM).
You want see Yoshi? I show you fist!

Nature: Hasty
I honestly think it would be better if Nintendo itself did it, since then it would be their right to take it down. They have every right to do it, but if it were my decision I would have left it alone tbh.
But 9 years development? that must have hurt :p

Signature by Pebbles
Old 1 Week Ago (8:01 PM).
actually a demon
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Héroe Oscuro View Post
...the ROM hack showcases over a hundred new Pokémon...
correction: Uranium is not a ROM hack.
Old 1 Week Ago (8:56 PM).

It's really not gone, as you can easily find torrents and copies of the game. Only the official link has been removed. There's no getting rid of it now that it's finished.
Old 1 Week Ago (11:09 PM).
Mewtwo worshiper

Nature: Naughty
Am I the only one who thinks that the article is a bit ambiguous? It says that Nintendo of America takes action against the fangame Pokémon Uranium but Pokémon Uranium developers state that they haven't received a Cease & Desist or been contacted by Nintendo or the Pokemon Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoyager View Post
It's really not gone, as you can easily find torrents and copies of the game. Only the official link has been removed. There's no getting rid of it now that it's finished.
This is good thing and maybe it should be mentioned in the article.
Old 1 Week Ago (1:07 AM).
The Dragonslayer

Nature: Sassy
if they're not making money from it, who the psyduck cares? people aren't going to play Uranium, or any other fangame for that matter, without being a fan of the game first.

Old 1 Week Ago (1:27 AM).
I call it Snowslash.

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigadweeb View Post
if they're not making money from it, who the **** cares? people aren't going to play Uranium, or any other fangame for that matter, without being a fan of the game first.
Nintendo has to protect their IP or else they lose it. They probably don't care. They did it because it was getting a little too big, and I highly doubt they care that it's still floating around and people are playing it.

As for what I think - it's a shame but Nintendo has to protect their IP. This is the risk all ROM hackers and game devs have to take when they start infringing. They should all get ready for it as soon as the game gets a substantial following.
Old 1 Week Ago (4:38 AM).
Feeling a little inadequate?

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
correction: Uranium is not a ROM hack.
Haha that's funny you mentioned that, the other writers and I were contemplating whether it was a ROM hack or not and we had concluded that it was a fan game. I must have just overlooked it when I was replacing all of the "ROM hack" words in the article - whoops! :P
Old 1 Week Ago (7:26 AM).
[Primal Despair] Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla

Nature: Lax
Another thing is; According to their post, they haven't been directly contacted by Nintendo. All they said was, they've been notified of takedown requests by lawyers representing Nintendo. As it stands, that's just takedown requests. They have not been ordered to stop development, so it's not like the game has stopped development.

And like mentioned earlier in the thread, making a Pokemon fangame- actually, this extends beyond Pokemon, as even other fangames aren't exempt; One must understand, when making a fangame of a franchise, popular or not, they undertake a great risk: the developers will find it, and they could shut it down prematurely. Whether you've put 9 months or 9 years into it, that's something you need to remember. While it is a shame that it has happened, I'm sure the Uranium devs knew this when they started, and were prepared for the risk.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old 1 Week Ago (8:18 AM).

this hack is so good, their fakemon is very good and the story is quite interesting
Old 1 Week Ago (12:20 PM).
Really and truly
Silver Tier

Nature: Bold
I hate to say it, but when I first heard about Uranium launching, I figured they would likely face this situation eventually. Nintendo usually goes after Pokemon fan games, and this was no exception. I hope the creators are able to avoid any legal issues since they took action somewhat preemptively, but I just keep thinking back to the guys who got sued over their Pokemon PAX party last year, and how they still had to pay even though they cancelled the party.

Sorry to hear this happened after so many years of hard work, and I hope things don't escalate.

~Psychic

Click the Bulbasaur cupcake to check out my nerdy desserts thread!
Old 1 Week Ago (1:01 PM).

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigadweeb View Post
if they're not making money from it, who the **** cares? people aren't going to play Uranium, or any other fangame for that matter, without being a fan of the game first.
The fact that it is free yet really popular and (supposedly, I haven't played it) as good as an official Pokemon game is actually a fairly big problem, since you have to buy the official games, and if you don't have it you also have to buy the console. So this could be a free alternative to playing a modern Pokemon game for people who don't have or don't want to spend money. Shutting down popular fan games is basically a way to keep the attention to the official games.
Old 1 Week Ago (3:31 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilva View Post
The fact that it is free yet really popular and (supposedly, I haven't played it) as good as an official Pokemon game is actually a fairly big problem, since you have to buy the official games, and if you don't have it you also have to buy the console. So this could be a free alternative to playing a modern Pokemon game for people who don't have or don't want to spend money. Shutting down popular fan games is basically a way to keep the attention to the official games.
Fangames can't really compete with official games though. They're still mostly 4th gen/3rd gen style graphics, whereas new games are 3D with very clean and pretty graphics, not to mention how much better the battle system looks.
Fangames are an alternative to playing older games, which they don't distribute anymore, and most people play illegal copies on emulators anyway instead of old outdated game systems.
If anything, fangames keep people's interest in the official games more, since there's only so much post game content if you don't like competitive battling.
Old 1 Week Ago (7:39 PM).
Legend

You know your game is good when you make Nintendo a little nervous. Congrats to that guys who made Uranium. From what I've seen/played, it's excellent.

Pokémon CAWPS

Pokémon Korosu

Credit to Corazon for banners.

Pokemon Savage Silver. I'm just taking the name. If I ever do it, it'll be out sometime in 2017.
Old 1 Week Ago (11:42 PM).

This is a real shame IMHO. I've heard so many good things about this game, and surely, surely it isn't enough of a dent on Nintendo's IP to warrant takedown notices.
Old 1 Week Ago (11:56 PM).
Mewtwo worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
I hope the creators are able to avoid any legal issues since they took action somewhat preemptively, but I just keep thinking back to the guys who got sued over their Pokemon PAX party last year, and how they still had to pay even though they cancelled the party.
That party case was more serious than Pokémon Uranium because they had sold tickets to that party and therefore made money by using Pokémon without permission. Pokémon Uranium is free game so the creators will avoid legal issues.
Old 1 Week Ago (3:28 PM).
♥ Hugging You, that's what friends do!~ ♥
Crystal Tier

This merely reeks of a lawyer trying to prove themself worthy of their retainer. In no way do I sense that NOA really cares. I highly doubt that the creators of this game ever turned a profit.

The fandom can and should raise an outcry against NOA for this. If we shame them now; they will keep their lawyers on a better leash, and avoid offending fans like this.

That said; they can't and won't be able to stop the game from being distributed. It's already out there. I think anyone who has a copy of the game can and should share it with others and upload it to as many websites as they can. I would hope PC staff also would comply with this; and not delete links to it. However I do understand if they choose not to do so; their policy seems to be not to piss off Nintendo. That's their decision. Still I think all fans can and should keep uploading this fan-game and I hope the developers don't give up on it. I hope that perhaps they can prove to NOA that this is a fan game that benefits them none to quash or quell. I hope the fans themselves rise up and say "This isn't acceptable Nintendo; don't be a dick because the law says you have to be, do something more than send takedowns." Maybe Nintendo Of America can and should contact the developers and try to work out some sort of compromise.

I get that IP has to be defended. But there's a right way to do it. And then there's a wrong way.

Old 1 Week Ago (5:15 PM).

It's interesting that you bring up Nintendo of America. From what I understand, the reason Nintendo seems the most aggressively protective of their copyrights out of the big three game companies is because unlike the other two, their headquarters is in Japan, which has different copyright laws than America. In certain areas - particularly parodies and spin-off works, the latter of which Uranium technically falls into - they're stricter than ours.

That said, since the DCMA didn't come directly from Nintendo - from any country at all - or TPCi, I will agree with you that it is a case of lawyers trying to please their retainers by doing something before they're told to.

I will also agree with you that the best thing we can do in this situation, in terms of protesting, is pass Uranium basically from hand to hand, let it saturate the internet, and let it not die. When Sun & Moon come out, and the day-one sales are higher than ever, let it send the message that fangames do not hurt the official games, but in fact help them retain the hype for longer.

(it should be noted that when I was much younger, I was adamantly against fanmade games. But I feel like in the past few years, the quality of fanmade spin-offs has gotten better and better. Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, Pokemon Insurgence, Uranium, etc. The technology has gotten to the point where if you have an idea you can make it happen even if you're not a professional. Does that mean that professional game designers are obsolete? No. It just means we're closing the gap rapidly.)

The black circular "doodles" in the lower right corner of my avatar are actually my username written in Gallifreyan. Yes I'm a Whovian.
Old 1 Week Ago (6:20 PM).
Pokémon Island Creator

A stupid move for Nintendo, because a free fangame VERY different for the main series only promotes the franchise.

Anyway, the Uranium team isn't sad after 1,5M downloads, the only restrictions is to remove links from main site. I believe that if anyone where can choose from gain 1.500.000 downloads plus DCMA, almost anyone choose this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej71 View Post
Fangames can't really compete with official games though. They're still mostly 4th gen/3rd gen style graphics, whereas new games are 3D with very clean and pretty graphics, not to mention how much better the battle system looks.
Fangames are an alternative to playing older games, which they don't distribute anymore, and most people play illegal copies on emulators anyway instead of old outdated game systems.
If anything, fangames keep people's interest in the official games more, since there's only so much post game content if you don't like competitive battling.
Also, fangames don't need to have the stupid Nintendo dogmas. A fangame where the main character was evil is possible.
Old 1 Week Ago (11:27 PM). Edited 4 Days Ago by Vagrant Pixels.
Pixel Artist

Nature: Calm
Hello PC. I just have two things to say about this, as an aspiring fan game developer.

For one, the completed game is already out there, and well, Nintendo can't really do much at all by now to stop it... Except maybe do this sort of nonsense and actually give the fan game free publicity.

And secondly, why would this even be considered a "problem" for the creators, when they knew that a project with such high standards would always run the risk?
Yes, why a problem, when the primary motivation for anyone making a fan project is mostly for personal reasons, such as practice, or the genuine enjoyment of it. That you get to freely share your work is a much welcomed bonus.

Saddened? Concerned? I don't think so.
Surprised and satisfied at all the big attention it got? That seems more likely.

Again, they actually finished the thing and it's out there. That in and of itself is amazing.

If anything? Nintendo/Game Freak really needs to do something about delivering solid quality, because they've remained awfully stagnant to the point where fangame(s) are now overtaking them. Yup. That's also one of the reasons I'm making mine as well. It's a nostalgic itch that has to be scratched.. It's competition, and they've lost their edge horribly ever since XY came out.
Old 6 Days Ago (1:38 PM).
Gone Fishin'

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Pixels View Post
If anything? Nintendo really needs to do something about delivering solid quality, because they've remained awfully stagnant to the point where fangame(s) are now overtaking them. Yup. That's also one of the reasons I'm making mine as well. It's a nostalgic itch that has to be scratched.. It's competition, and they've lost their edge horribly after XY and ORAS.
You're delusional if you think that near anyone makes fan-games due to Nintendo apparently lacking some kind of "edge". On the contrary, the product that gamefreak(not nintendo, they don't make pokemon), is so good, that we as creators/designers, want a piece of that action.

It's like saying when people make fan-art of their favorite pokemon, they are thinking "I'm only doing this because the official art sucks so bad!"

Secondly, how does one lose their edge after XY/ORAS, when they haven't released a single mainline game after them?

I'm not even going to bother addressing the "nostalgia itch that has to be scratched" comment. Not a single RPG franchise in history, has done the amount of nostalgic fan-service game freak dose, much less to the level they do it at.

Demo coming August 20!
Old 4 Days Ago (9:44 PM).
Pixel Artist

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSamaritan View Post
You're delusional if you think that near anyone makes fan-games due to Nintendo apparently lacking some kind of "edge". On the contrary, the product that gamefreak(not nintendo, they don't make pokemon), is so good, that we as creators/designers, want a piece of that action.
Wrong. The franchise has felt really stagnant ever since the DS generation. The BW series of games were amazing, despite some odd design choices here and there, but they were overall good games, despite Game Freak sticking and keeping their winning original formula unchanged, that just simply works. (The only considerable change is usually more Pokémon. The rest is virtually the same as it's ever been.) Well, for BW it worked due to the stylistic choices as well as the interesting stories. Gave us a fresh flavour. Then the 3DS games came and, eh... I'm not the only one who feels like this, and stopped playing at that time.

Nevertheless. Taking that amazing Pokémon formula and actually exploring the possibilities that Nintendo doesn't ever dare branch out to explore is one of the most exciting things about creatively developing fan games.

Ninty's games are boring and predictable, designed for a young audience. But unofficial works can take the Pokémon core concept to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSamaritan View Post
"I like the games, so you're not allowed to call out on the disappointment that they are."
Well, alrighty then.
Old 4 Days Ago (12:17 PM).
Gone Fishin'

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Pixels View Post
Wrong. The franchise has felt really stagnant ever since the DS generation. The BW series of games were amazing, despite some odd design choices here and there, but they were overall good games, despite Game Freak sticking and keeping their winning original formula unchanged, that just simply works. (The only considerable change is usually more Pokémon. The rest is virtually the same as it's ever been.) Well, for BW it worked due to the stylistic choices as well as the interesting stories. Gave us a fresh flavour. Then the 3DS games came and, eh... I'm not the only one who feels like this, and stopped playing at that time.

Nevertheless. Taking that amazing Pokémon formula and actually exploring the possibilities that Nintendo doesn't ever dare branch out to explore is one of the most exciting things about creatively developing fan games.
Wrong.(since opinions can be "wrong" apparently).The Pokemon Company never branches out? What was Pokemon Colosseum/XD? What is the Mystery dungeon series? Pokemon Conquest?

Pokemon explores the formula all the time.And low and behold, everything that does change the formula fails to get even a 1/5 of the sales of the mainline games.

Quote:
Ninty's games are boring and predictable, designed for a young audience. But unofficial works can take the Pokémon core concept to the next level.
Wrong. If more mature themes were holding back the main series, then the Persona series would be outselling the Pokemon games no? Pokemon Colosseum, with its darker tone, would have just revolutionized the industry right? Or how about the BW titles you brought up, selling worse than DPPT, despite the DS console being in more peoples hands when it came out?

It's fine for you to like what you like, and make fan-games however you see fit. But please don't promote this idea that Pokemon isn't giving fans what they want. They are one of video games most successful franchises for a reason.

Quote:
Well, alrighty then.
What are you 10 years old? Shoving made up quotes in my mouth.

Demo coming August 20!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links