The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:29 PM
aquakip
You jealous, betch

Nature: Naive

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Dragon View Post
I like the tint of it, but I don't like the botches of "non tint" lol.I'd suggest remove those, but keep the tint itself as it does give a cool moody vibe to the map.
But the "blotches" are the openings in the canopy. If I left it as just a tint, it wouldn't look like a forest. There are four types of canopy I could choose from:

-RMXP leafy canopy (overused, I don't think it looks much like a canopy to be honest, anyway)

-DPPt canopy (which is what I have, and I think it fits best)
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upl...Forest_map.png

- HGSS canopy (which could look alright, but I feel it isn't as nice as the latter)
http://pokedream.com/games/heartgold...lex_forest.png

- BW canopy (which are tiny little dots scattered about like light dotting through the treetops)
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/birijion-ow.png

Idk. Those were my choices, and I thought the DPPt one fit the best. I could try the BW one, I guess...

Co-Founder & Artist of

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed
Even though it's in the official games, I think it's a bad design choice (I mean @Gamefreak for even putting it in). It looks silly for the type of effect they want. I'm assuming their goal was to make it like light coming from the trees, but it's overlaid on the trees. It would be different if the effect only applied to areas that were walk-able and not ON the trees themselves which should be making the effect in the first place. The light is hitting the the tree itself is creating the canopy meaning it shouldn't be layered like that.
I think you should improve on their design and not mimic it. You have a nice OW style, and a custom one, so why copy gamefreak with that design?

Edit: I might as well give you my suggestion on what to do lol.
I'd create a layered effect and make at least 2 images for the effect. I'd then give the images 2 different "z" values (depth/layers). Make one image possibly over the map and the other layered into the map itself minus 1 layer that the tree tops are on.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787

Last edited by Neo-Dragon; January 24th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Dragon View Post
Even though it's in the official games, I think it's a bad design choice (I mean @Gamefreak for even putting it in). It looks silly for the type of effect they want. I'm assuming their goal was to make it like light coming from the trees, but it's overlaid on the trees. It would be different if the effect only applied to areas that were walk-able and not ON the trees themselves which should be making the effect in the first place. The light is hitting the the tree itself is creating the canopy meaning it shouldn't be layered like that.
I think you should improve on their design and not mimic it. You have a nice OW style, and a custom one, so why copy gamefreak with that design?

Edit: I might as well give you my suggestion on what to do lol.
I'd create a layered effect and make at least 2 images for the effect. I'd then give the images 2 different "z" values (depth/layers). Make one image possibly over the map and the other layered into the map itself minus 1 layer that the tree tops are on.
Just pointing out that DPPt are the only versions where the light overlays the trees iirc. The other games it falls under the trees but over the walk-able path.

I would not call it a bad design choice, more of a poorly executed innovation (as far as DPPt is concerned)

Quote:
My problem with your fog layer is that the contrast is way too high. It really clashes with everything else because of it. I would darken it a bit to make it blend. As long as the area is lighter it will still have the effect you want, and it is a nice effect.

But I agree with Neo as far as it being over the trees and how terrible it looks. If the light is coming through the canopy, it should not overlay what is essentially the canopy... if that makes any sense.

I love the Bog screenshot though. We have a national park here where there is a bridge which is the walking path and it goes all through the park, I actually used it as a concept myself :D

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty

I found an unfinished Game engine, So i contacted it's owner and they've allowed me to continue work on it.
So far I've revamped graphics and scripted the sword.
Thoughts?
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Omg is that a tLoZ starter kit? It looks awesome. I would love to use it if you ever decide to let people use it :3
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
Omg is that a tLoZ starter kit? It looks awesome. I would love to use it if you ever decide to let people use it :3
I will be letting oter people use it. :3 I just need to script alot of things, then it's good for a public release :'D

Also, I'm mapping http://vgmaps.com/NewsArchives/April...alsia(Day).png for it. Just to give you something to explore when 'testing' the engine.
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

That's sweet. I just beat Links Awakening and have been craving a tloz starter kit. How odd that you happen to post it haha.

Is that a fan game or something? Oracle of Hours? It must be..
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
That's sweet. I just beat Links Awakening and have been craving a tloz starter kit. How odd that you happen to post it haha.

Is that a fan game or something? Oracle of Hours? It must be..
Oracle of Hours was an 'April Fools' joke over on Vg Maps back in 2004 i think?
But, many people have 'attempted' rom hacks/fan made games of it, I'm not doing that, I just feel like mapping that world map :3
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:33 AM
Xavier_PokeNation
Togepi

My new MMORPG in Java :p

Testing PWO main frame while thinking on my own, the problem is I'm out of ideas :\
Attached Thumbnails
JCNdF.png‎  

Old February 1st, 2012, 08:33 AM
xdanx
But you can call me Dan :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
But I agree with Neo as far as it being over the trees and how terrible it looks. If the light is coming through the canopy, it should not overlay what is essentially the canopy... if that makes any sense.
Well I don't think it would look better without it. I mean, yeah, it isn't really logical, but maybe that shadows come from even bigger trees we actually don't see. What I mean is that, if the fog wasn't over all the map, it would look even more weird than that, because how could that "tiny" trees cause that effect?

In any case, I like the effect, what I don't like is for the forest to have such a narrow path.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM
D. Lawride
Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!

I saw some Link's Awakening content up there already, so this might be a bit repetitive, but hey:

Was just playing around with the tiles and stuff and got the idea of going one step further. It's not an actual project, just did it for fun (since the last screenshot(s) I posted were pretty much ignored anyway xD). =P
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

I recently showed off a preview/teaser for the ZENFORMS: Protectors battle system.
We have been revamping the entire system. New UI, new battle ground, and all new game code. The reason was to add more features to the battle system and a revamping made the most sense since trying to add it onto the old code would of broken a lot of it.

A teaser video here.
http://youtu.be/3DJx0pXI0aE
Taken from the simulator hence the mouse cursor on an iPhone game lol.

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

Looking good. Is one of the Zenforms really called 'Fugly', though?

Also, the (rather good-looking) animated background makes the still sprites look lifeless. Any chance of having small Black/White style animated sprites?
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:51 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

BW's Flash-style tween animation would look positively dreadful on a high-res iPhone screen, I'm sure.
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkward Squirtle View Post
Looking good. Is one of the Zenforms really called 'Fugly', though?

Also, the (rather good-looking) animated background makes the still sprites look lifeless. Any chance of having small Black/White style animated sprites?

Yup, that ZENFORM on the video is really called Fugly.

The sprites won't have individual animations. They will jump around the battle system but nothing like black or white.

Old February 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
This is my revamped summary screens. Any suggestions what to change the white text on the egg screen to? I don't want to use black

http://lightning-yellow.com/SS/0.12/summary-new.png

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old February 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 100 Mega Shock View Post
BW's Flash-style tween animation would look positively dreadful on a high-res iPhone screen, I'm sure.
Then do a Street Fighter-esque sprite animation. My point is that when the environment looks more alive than your party characters, there's something wrong with your graphics.
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Karel_Kazuki
Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp

A WIP ,i spent the day making.Its my first map over 50x50 and I think I'm doing pretty well so far.It is a Route based on one of my old projects that I may start up again.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2012-02-06 at 11.03.25 PM.png‎  

I am a university student, currently studying C# and looking for any practice pertaining to building my skills.I'm also a concept designer and storyline designer.

contact me here or at [email protected].

Screw Banners.I support all that is made.But Join these Forums!

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_...ex.php?act=idx
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Just a mock up for the character selection screen. With elements of the introduction from the professor. The characters will move upon selection and the un-selected one will remain still. The animations will be faster in the game. Everything is currently undergoing development.

The sprites are just placeholders currently, and will be changed to look like Skyler and Kelly at some point.

I tried an additional image in the background, but it just became much too busy for my taste, so I scratched it and left the center of the screen rather plain.

Old February 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Worldslayer, could you make it so the unselected sprite is also semi-transparent too?
Aside from the animation, I feel the unselected sprite should also be faded a bit to make it clearer which gender is selected.

OR
Apply an effect to the color image behind the character sprite. Such as move it outwards (off screen) by about 10 pixels when not selected and to the default position when the gender is selected.

Old February 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

@Wordslayer : I think it would be cool if the chosen one was colored, but the other one was black and white. And a pokeball in the middle would be kinda cool? idk
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

I actually really like the idea of the semi-transparent sprite. Black and white would look a little off I think.

As far as the colored background portion, I was going to have it slide into the screen upon it showing up. They would slide in from the edges then the sprites would fade in. From there I will see how the image transparency will work. Thanks for the idea Neo .

I tried a pokeball in the background, and it just became too cluttered.

EDIT

Last edited by Worldslayer608; February 7th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Looks better now. Very clear which gender will be selected with that.

Old February 8th, 2012, 02:26 PM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

New part screen layout for Lightning Yellow

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Just a sample shot of the GUI Concept. It is not final and things are definitely subject to change, but I thought I would show it off and see what everyone things about the layout.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here