The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

Having 5 Pokémon there is really bugging me. Make a row of 6 and put the menu options underneath.
Old February 10th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post

Just a sample shot of the GUI Concept. It is not final and things are definitely subject to change, but I thought I would show it off and see what everyone things about the layout.
I'd say just show the 6 Pokémon in the bottom bar (nothing else), and perhaps when necessary put the message box over it rather than on part of the main screen. The menu options should only be shown when pressing the pause button (Esc/X), in which case they should be a more traditional pause menu that covers more of the screen (to properly show the game's been paused).

A status icon for each party Pokémon wouldn't go amiss.
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
One thing we are trying to avoid, is having to use the Esc/X keys to open the menu. We want something that utilizes mouse input. Reason behind this is that we want menus to be quick to access without the player having to look down to hit a certain key.

If you were playing the game, and wanted quick access to something, would it be the party or the menu? Reason I am asking this is to just get a feel for what everyone thinks might be more important to see that way if we end up requiring a button to open the menu, which one would you guys like to see be visible at all times?

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Could you use a right mouse click to do what X currently does ("back"/"cancel"/"open pause menu")?
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Could you use a right mouse click to do what X currently does ("back"/"cancel"/"open pause menu")?
Sure. Currently, right click has no function set for it. That is a solid idea. Another idea we had was to have arrows at the far ends of the bottom part of the screen, you could clock them and it would move between the party screen and the menu. This allows the player to choose what menu they want to see most of the time. There are many concepts I am sure we will play with and I hope to continue sharing them with everyone to get feedback :D

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:31 AM
help-14
Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to help-14
I'm working on a small project with construct 2 (a html 5 game engine) This is what i got so far (sprite, map are just random stuffs): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10393831/town2/index.html
Only the piller that you can't walk through for now you can use keyboard, mouse, touch (on any smartphone) to move around

Last edited by help-14; February 11th, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Spoiler:

Preview of a side project I'm working on. Don't think I've quit Deep Balance, I will continue developing it.

Credits to Enterbrain, TPC, Gamefreak, Nintendo, CrazyNinjaGuy and Yannfly.
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Xavier_PokeNation
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by help-14 View Post
I'm working on a small project with construct 2 (a html 5 game engine) This is what i got so far (sprite, map are just random stuffs):
Only the piller that you can't walk through for now you can use keyboard, mouse, touch (on any smartphone) to move around
Hi, pretty nice start you have there :o I'm really interested in seeing your next updates

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet

Just a quick screenshot of Azurite, an old side project Karpman and I started working on again.
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:17 AM
sethiey
*Doing nothing*

Nature: Lax
This is amazing, the color scheme is nice to look at Blue/White/Black is great!

Want you hack tested/played? Just PM and i could start a Lets play!
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Ravecat
I'm Right.

Nature: Careful

"Pokémon," the tale of a young boy's journey to impress his long-lost father.
Mock-up with placeholder graphics.

Last edited by Ravecat; February 19th, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravecat View Post

"Pokémon," the tale of a young boy's journey to impress his long-lost father.
Mock-up with placeholder graphics.
Ravecat! You're back!

As for the screen, could I first ask if you made everything yourself? This is very impressive, especially for a mock-up. The background has a canvas look to it, which sort of makes it look like a more classic RPG than Pokémon (which is a good thing). One thing I would change about this is the mountains in the back ground, as they look a little out of place.
The sprites are nice, although Pikachu may be going a little fast. The shadows are a little large though, and they're at a different perspective to the background.
I can see where you were going with the text box, and I do really like this stlye (heck, I've put it into my game), but I think it needs a little more editing to fit in with the rest of the UI. Or vice versa.

Demo Beta out Now!

Old February 24th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Ravecat
I'm Right.

Thank-you very much for the comment!

Actually, sadly, I didn't make anything except the UI.
The Pokémon and trainer are by Joshr and the background is a rip from Mystery Dungeon.

The animation: I agree with you on that, and I will also be changing up the whole interface if I do continue this.

It was mainly a focus on the direction I'd like to take the system more than the graphics, I think.

Thank-you! Xenotime is looking great, by the way.
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
I really like the way you display the sprites, it takes out the need for backsprites. I think the only problem I have with it is that the shadows don't look the same as say, the shadows from the trees. If you could get them to look the same, it would be really cool. That's just a small nit pick though, it looks really awesome in general!
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
a few screens from my latest project, its not Pokemon its Classic Donkey Kong in 3D

In game Screenshot

Spoiler:

This is to show its truly 3D just hard to see at a distance
Spoiler:

To explain why it doesn't look 3d at a distance its because I'm using a Orthographic camera, everything in the game is made using 3d models and textured accordingly

here is another screenie
Spoiler:

Showing its True 3D
Spoiler:

As you can see its looking more like Donkey Kong

I have a 3d Mario but I still have to rig and animate it but before i do that I want to get the core systems functional. so be prepared to see a cube where Donkey Kong should be haha

Last edited by KingCharizard; February 26th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Rickyboy
Its time for overtime

Its not used in any game or anything, but I was wondering what people though of the various elements I made in this?

So, I made the forest/plains/platforms in blender(forest took...quite a while), and its worth noting they would be animated if used in game.

I do like the health bar hud, but I don't care for the text box hud. Its the right part that bothers me, its just too much. Also, the spot right(or left, for the foe) of the health bar, would be used for status conflictions.

Basically, I like to know if the sprite/3d look conflicts too much too.
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

I'm sorry, but that looks terrible. There's way too much contrast in the background, and it's very difficult to focus on the sprite. You'll have to at least soften the background a bit.
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Xavier_PokeNation
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyboy View Post
Its not used in any game or anything, but I was wondering what people though of the various elements I made in this?

So, I made the forest/plains/platforms in blender(forest took...quite a while), and its worth noting they would be animated if used in game.

I do like the health bar hud, but I don't care for the text box hud. Its the right part that bothers me, its just too much. Also, the spot right(or left, for the foe) of the health bar, would be used for status conflictions.

The pokemon sprite simply doesn't fit in that ambient you created. Still good job for the effort

Old March 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM
mineox100
Hey.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mineox100 Send a message via Skype™ to mineox100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyboy View Post

Like Awkward Squirtle said there is too much contrast.
Plus the 4 buttons are far apart on the keyboard.

Here are two maps I'm making:
Spoiler:

Please tell me how the lab (first one) looks.
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineox100 View Post
Like Awkward Squirtle said there is too much contrast.
Plus the 4 buttons are far apart on the keyboard.

Here are two maps I'm making:
Spoiler:

Please tell me how the lab (first one) looks.
The lab one looks bad, but not horrible. The big problem is that you're just lining up a bunch of the same tiles in big rows a bunch of times. It just doesn't look good. Also, for the stuff you have in the bottom left corner, you can blatantly see that part of them are missing. Look between each one at the top of each. That's a big no no either.

The town one actually looks a lot better. The problem is again that you don't seem to have put the full tree sprite when they are in columns. Its clear the top of the trees are just simply gone. The only other concern I may have with this is that it doesn't look like there are enough tiles separating the closest place to the border the PC can walk and the actual border. If there are not enough tiles, then you see black when you walk along the trees there. That also would look bad.

Old March 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
mineox100
Hey.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mineox100 Send a message via Skype™ to mineox100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx_theo View Post
The lab one looks bad, but not horrible. The big problem is that you're just lining up a bunch of the same tiles in big rows a bunch of times. It just doesn't look good. Also, for the stuff you have in the bottom left corner, you can blatantly see that part of them are missing. Look between each one at the top of each. That's a big no no either.

The town one actually looks a lot better. The problem is again that you don't seem to have put the full tree sprite when they are in columns. Its clear the top of the trees are just simply gone. The only other concern I may have with this is that it doesn't look like there are enough tiles separating the closest place to the border the PC can walk and the actual border. If there are not enough tiles, then you see black when you walk along the trees there. That also would look bad.
Thanks for the advice lx_theo!
I edited the lab so it wouldn't look "bad".
The town actually has enough tiles so that the player can't see the black.
I used 1x not 2x while taking the screenshot that's why.
Here's a new map:
Spoiler:

It's my First Route!
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:49 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineox100 View Post
Thanks for the advice lx_theo!
I edited the lab so it wouldn't look "bad".
The town actually has enough tiles so that the player can't see the black.
I used 1x not 2x while taking the screenshot that's why.
Here's a new map:
Spoiler:

It's my First Route!
Too square for my liking but if square is what you were going for then good job other wise try to make the route look more nature made
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

Yup, the grass patches look way too rectangular. At least add/remove bits like you did with the one in the middle left. The patch in the lower right is a bit big, too; maybe move the trees closer in and shrink the tall grass patch?

Also, the short grass looks a little barren. Try adding some more paths or flowers.

Otherwise, it's a great map; very D/P-ish in style.
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Rossay
Quack quack

GIF of the battle-intro for my latest project:

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Rai Rai
Master of everything!

Just thought I'd show my players' home on my Pokemon Emerald remake:
*Note: Character is a place holder, also please do not try to steal my sprites, they're 100% made by me.*

Sponsored Links