The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:25 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
The black text has been fixed as I updated the image 1 minute after your post. I mean that the whole style has been changed. The reason it still resembles that of the essentials one is because changing the position of the text is a difficult job resulting in many errors for the inexperienced scripter.
One thing I think should be changed is the little square in the corner (i sound stupid but i'll describe it) its the thing thats moved outward signifying you're on the "summary" screen of the pokemon's info, all the other squares are blue I think the one that you're currently on should be something like white or gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Lawride View Post

Nothing special this time around, just a screenshot with an example of the style of the tiles in my next project. We're working on it with the Allegro lib, and the engine is still very rudimentary, as seen by the lack of features onscreen.

(the title is blurred because reasons)
Wow, I guess yours got lost in the slue of new screenies
I like the style, its like the actual design of RPG maker instead of the traditional pokemon game
It could go either way but I find it refreshing to use something like this, in any case, the screenshot is pretty good (although theres not much to go off of) the house (or shed really) looks a little tiny and cramped, but I can't wait to see the overworld

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Last edited by Saving Raven; July 2nd, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
By redesign I mean restyle.
That's still not the correct terminology to use with your provided example. A recolour is the most accurate, as that's all it is. The style of an UI does not only consist of of it's background and colors, but also of the various elements within it. That consists of: button positions, fonts, text positions, text styles, and the multitude of the UI images themselves.

This is a recolour of the bag interface. This is a restyle/redesign of the bag interface. See...big difference. And still don't think I'd be arrogant enough to call the second one "completely re-inventing it", because it isn't.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
By redesign I mean restyle.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:57 PM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
I can't help crawling back to developing a Pokémon game XD. So anyway, decided to work on making a new summary screen for my game Pokemon: Lost souls. Still needs a lot of work doing to it, but you get the basic idea.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
I can't help crawling back to developing a Pokémon game XD. So anyway, decided to work on making a new summary screen for my game Pokemon: Lost souls. Still needs a lot of work doing to it, but you get the basic idea.

I looooovveeeee it! good one 100% better than mine!

anyway here is my redesign of my summary screen.

Looks like the original but little different still WIP.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppooookkkkkkk View Post
here is my redesign of my summary screen.

I like the idea, it seems pretty cool, but the problem i have is how everything seems like its in empty space
firstly, theres no borders on the top or bottom, it just seems unnatural to me...theres at least one at the top or bottom, it seems kind of weird without it, like its a simulation or something...its hard to explain but i think it would look good with something, maybe a darker color if you're against a border

second, the text lies on the border in some areas (such as the "item" being too close to the edge, the exp numbers being close to the edge, and the pokeball being close to the corner) if theres was a little more room it would be perfect

finally, an aesthetic choice that you might want to consider, where it says dragonite next to species, and red next to the OT, etc, i think it should be a lighter color than the rest of the background so it gives it a place, rather than being floating in space
it's just something to consider, overall I like it! and I hope you make it even better, you've improved from the original post

Old July 4th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppooookkkkkkk View Post
anyway here is my redesign of my summary screen.

It's definitely an improvement from your last attempt. A lot better and there isn't such a clash of colours.

I would recommend putting tabs in to represent the different aspects of it - Trainer Memo, Moves, Ribbons, etc.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Rayquaza.

All four seasons taken in Oldoak Town. Something that my never come because of the diversity of different tilesets I use for different maps:

Spoiler:
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
All four seasons taken in Oldoak Town. Something that my never come because of the diversity of different tilesets I use for different maps:

Spoiler:
Does grass normally turn blue in spring and brown in autumn? Also, that's very neatly laid out snow there.
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Rayquaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Does grass normally turn blue in spring and brown in autumn? Also, that's very neatly laid out snow there.
The biomes of the top two are taking inspiration from the seasonal colours used in BW. The bottom two were improvised and the snow I'm still working on, although I have no reason to because this feature may never come.
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Minorthreat0987
Pokemon Tellurium

Just gonna drop these here. This is what I have been working on lately regarding my project Pokemon Tellurium! Progress is going very well, so hopefully I will be creating a thread here very soon!

These screens are showcasing the look of the battle system for my game, as well as my new starter Pokemon, designed by the wonderful Riceeman!

Enjoy!

Check out my DeviantArt account for info on my new project! Pokemon Tellurium.
My DeviantArt
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Rayquaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorthreat0987 View Post
Just gonna drop these here. This is what I have been working on lately regarding my project Pokemon Tellurium! Progress is going very well, so hopefully I will be creating a thread here very soon!

These screens are showcasing the look of the battle system for my game, as well as my new starter Pokemon, designed by the wonderful Riceeman!

Enjoy!
I'm guessing the noise is there for a reason?

Looks amazing. The battle style and backgrounds go together really well. Also its not often you see well sprited fakémon like these. Great job.
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Minorthreat0987
Pokemon Tellurium

The noise isn't actually in the game, its just over the screens to protect the custom XY styled battle backgrounds that I did.

Glad you like it. Thanks!

Check out my DeviantArt account for info on my new project! Pokemon Tellurium.
My DeviantArt
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorthreat0987 View Post

Enjoy!
awe inspiring, its all just fantastic. Great work, it's simple, yet refined; very close to the original games but with a great custom flare - just fantastic (the sprites are even better)

(now time for my stuff)
here is my custom door (animation)

it fits the hg/ss style OW's very nicely and looks very good IMO, but I wanna know what you guys think

and here is me play testing my test map, showcasing my - not only improved map area but also - my custom grass+dirt mountain crossover, as well as custom dirt mountain tile

-as I mentioned before its customized kyledove tiles and customized erma96's grass with some custom tiles of my own-

Old July 11th, 2013, 09:48 AM
nuzamaki90
Knight of The Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
awe inspiring, its all just fantastic. Great work, it's simple, yet refined; very close to the original games but with a great custom flare - just fantastic (the sprites are even better)

(now time for my stuff)
here is my custom door (animation)

it fits the hg/ss style OW's very nicely and looks very good IMO, but I wanna know what you guys think

and here is me play testing my test map, showcasing my - not only improved map area but also - my custom grass+dirt mountain crossover, as well as custom dirt mountain tile

-as I mentioned before its customized kyledove tiles and customized erma96's grass with some custom tiles of my own-
That screenshot is really cool, and the door's animation looks like it's coming out great. Although, I know you said the tiles aren't final, but they do look like they would go better with GBA-styled OWs (RSE/FRLG) rather than HGSS and DP.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
That screenshot is really cool, and the door's animation looks like it's coming out great. Although, I know you said the tiles aren't final, but they do look like they would go better with GBA-styled OWs (RSE/FRLG) rather than HGSS and DP.
most of it is a little more detailed than GBA style, but the mountain tiles are something i wanna change in light of something taller

Old July 15th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
Here is My Screenshot. Not really story based, just testing tiles, new resolution, and Speech Bar.
Spoiler:

Old July 20th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
Here is a Screenshot of my personal game Pokemon(To Be Determined. Currently Zentro)

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Rayquaza.

From left-right; here is an insight of the graphical made from May-August (July was an inactive month).
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Saving Raven

Quote:

From left-right; here is an insight of the graphical made from May-August (July was an inactive month).
Great improvement, you added nice terrain and gave the area more definition. Everything looks fine, except the cave entrance looks a little small, almost like you'd have to duck to get in, its fine if that's what you're going for, but making it a little taller might be a good idea - everything else looks good, although you may want to add more decoration to the underwater
(unless you have and it's not shown due to how close it is to the edge)

Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Rayquaza.

Quote:
Great improvement, you added nice terrain and gave the area more definition. Everything looks fine, except the cave entrance looks a little small, almost like you'd have to duck to get in, its fine if that's what you're going for, but making it a little taller might be a good idea - everything else looks good, although you may want to add more decoration to the underwater
(unless you have and it's not shown due to how close it is to the edge)
Thanks. It's still a work in progress but was submitted to show oncoming improvements before the next demo.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Our hero Mina Lancaster awakens in a strange world, frozen by an aggressive Articuno. The player can expect tricky ice puzzles, lots of hidden items, rare Pokémon otherwise uncatchable, and an awesome storyline.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
Our hero Mina Lancaster awakens in a strange world, frozen by an aggressive Articuno. The player can expect tricky ice puzzles, lots of hidden items, rare Pokémon otherwise uncatchable, and an awesome storyline.

haha, looks like I'm not the only one working on some Gen2 tiles
I love the ice sculpture things, and Ice was always an annoying puzzle, much like the water temple of the pokemon world x.x
looks very interesting from what I can tell, and the layout appears fine

Heres a test of some tiles I've been messing with:
Spoiler:

Old August 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Quote:
Heres a test of some tiles I've been messing with:
Spoiler:
Looks pretty good.
I'd recommend not overusing the "checkered shading" like you've done on the trees, though.
Try using the clean colors for big areas and only use the checkered shading for shading.
It can look really messy otherwise.

---------------

Here's a screenshot from my game Pokémon: Blaze Red, featuring Cerulean City.

Old August 7th, 2013, 07:18 PM
PuzzledPsyduck

Spoiler:

Some shots from the game I'm messing around on, mostly just making sure the party movement and area transition stuff works correctly. It has a few problems (in the third screenshot you can see that the last two members are walking incorrectly), but it's a simple fix.

I'm also wondering whether or not the way I've done the building interiors works with the first generation graphics; mainly the walls having tops on them.

The red patch in the second shot is just a place I havn't put water yet.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here