Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Reload this Page Screenshot Showcase

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old August 7th, 2013 (10:28 PM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by tImE:
Looks pretty good.
I'd recommend not overusing the "checkered shading" like you've done on the trees, though.
Try using the clean colors for big areas and only use the checkered shading for shading.
It can look really messy otherwise.
It looks like it is a color restriction issue. I do not see a darker shade of green anywhere on that map that can compensate in the shading of the tree anyways, so I am assuming there is a limited color pallet.

On the other hand, that character's coloring makes me thing otherwise.

A good example of a style guide gone wrong. Easy fix though. Pick one or the other and make them match.

Quote:
Here's a screenshot from my game Pokémon: Blaze Red, featuring Cerulean City.

I am really bothered by the outlines on the barricades.

Looks good though other than that.

Have you experimented with different colors other than the HGSS ones for the road tiles?

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old August 8th, 2013 (06:14 AM).
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™:
I am really bothered by the outlines on the barricades.

Looks good though other than that.

Have you experimented with different colors other than the HGSS ones for the road tiles?
The reason for the outlines on the barricades are that they are events. They aren't tiles.
They're supposed to disappear after the Rocket Grunt has been defeated, and I want to distinguish between tiles and events graphicwise, so the player knows that it is an event. I will do the same with the Eeveelution ice and moss rocks to make it more obvious it is something more than just decoration.

And what do you mean HGSS colors? I have chosen these colors myself using MSpaint.
And no, I haven't really tried any different colors for the actual road, since I already think it looks good.

Thanks for the comment!
Old August 8th, 2013 (10:26 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

I honestly, feel something like barricades do not need to stand out with the use of outlines.

They already stand out with the whole "WTF is this in my way" reaction players get when they come across them blocking a path.

Abnormal tiles, should not have outlines just to stand out. They naturally stand out and intrigue your player by simply existing and looking out of the norm or obstructing a path towards completing a goal.

Just my opinion though.

Well that purple-blue kind of road from HGSS stands out a lot and every time I see it, it turns my stomach upside down. I have always thought the colors were pretty ugly and I think your map could benefit for having it's own take on the road, even if it is just typical light grey sidewalk with dark charcoal colored roads with the same tiles, idk. Those colors really remind me of HGSS. If it were something like a building, I might not notice it as much... but yeah.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Old August 8th, 2013 (10:49 AM).

Well that purple-blue kind of road from HGSS stands out a lot and every time I see it, it turns my stomach upside down. I have always thought the colors were pretty ugly and I think your map could benefit for having it's own take on the road, even if it is just typical light grey sidewalk with dark charcoal colored roads with the same tiles, idk. Those colors really remind me of HGSS. If it were something like a building, I might not notice it as much... but yeah.
Again you say HGSS. The road is made by me with no references used, either tile or colorwise, but if it's just the colors you are concerned about, it's actually the day/night system that is messing with the colors. They are A LOT less purple in full daylight.

EDIT: Here's a comparison, showing the tile in normal light:
Old August 8th, 2013 (10:55 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

Oh, wow. Eww. Are you using stock Essential shades? Guess I was thrown off because the grass and flowers still look like they have normal coloring.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Old August 8th, 2013 (11:30 AM).

Oh, wow. Eww. Are you using stock Essential shades? Guess I was thrown off because the grass and flowers still look like they have normal coloring.
Yeah, I am using stock shade at the moment. I'd like to change it, but I'm lazy and making the new colors takes time. :/
Old August 8th, 2013 (12:05 PM).
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
Who like my new PokeCenter?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 8th, 2013 (12:43 PM).

Quote originally posted by Harvey_Create:

I like it, but that Mudkip looks like he's standing on the wall.
Old August 8th, 2013 (12:56 PM).

I think the contrast on the counters is too little.
Also: A more orangey, or at least lighter red, color would be better for the wall.
It doesn't look great when its the same as Nurse Joys counter.

Other than that, I think it looks really nice :D
Old August 8th, 2013 (02:15 PM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Radical Raptr

the dolls are a little offputting, you should make them more doll-like, at first I mistook them for pokemon, but then I thought it'd be weird so it must be dolls
other than that the center seems a little cramped but I suppose its fine the way it is

now to my screenshot, its not much a screenshot, but it's seriously bugging me - I need critique on it, I hate it, but it seems pretty okay, but I need some advice and criticism:
Spoiler:

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old August 8th, 2013 (02:59 PM).

Quote originally posted by Saving Raven:
now to my screenshot, its not much a screenshot, but it's seriously bugging me - I need critique on it, I hate it, but it seems pretty okay, but I need some advice and criticism:
Spoiler:
First off, you really need to work on composition. Right now, all characters are just lined up. Try mixing it up by having them in different distances from the viewer. Try looking at movie posters for inspiration. Also since Pokémon sprites are bigger scale than trainers, it looks like the people are very small.
Secondly, no background is a big minus.

The evil-shadow behind the guy on the right is a nice touch though and is a great idea for things like a titlescreen.
Also: Don't feel restricted by the borders that exist in a standard title screen. Try making something completely original.

Lastly, don't use the in-game sprites for a titlescreen. A titlescreen is supposed to be something epic that will draw players into wanting to play the game. Try making original sprites for the characters, in differents sizes and make a cool composition. It will look a lot better, even if the spritework may not be top notch.
Old August 8th, 2013 (04:11 PM). Edited August 8th, 2013 by Radical Raptr.
#BAMFPokemonNerd

First off, you really need to work on composition. Right now, all characters are just lined up. Try mixing it up by having them in different distances from the viewer. Try looking at movie posters for inspiration. Also since Pokémon sprites are bigger scale than trainers, it looks like the people are very small.
Secondly, no background is a big minus.

The evil-shadow behind the guy on the right is a nice touch though and is a great idea for things like a titlescreen.
Also: Don't feel restricted by the borders that exist in a standard title screen. Try making something completely original.

Lastly, don't use the in-game sprites for a titlescreen. A titlescreen is supposed to be something epic that will draw players into wanting to play the game. Try making original sprites for the characters, in differents sizes and make a cool composition. It will look a lot better, even if the spritework may not be top notch.
I'll work on the other problems and I see what you mean, but the gradient background isnt good? I'm not sure what else to use, but I'll think of something

- Well, I've been working on it, and I have something halfway decent, but I'm not quite sure what type of background would fit...
Spoiler:

Old August 9th, 2013 (09:28 AM).

I'll work on the other problems and I see what you mean, but the gradient background isnt good? I'm not sure what else to use, but I'll think of something

- Well, I've been working on it, and I have something halfway decent, but I'm not quite sure what type of background would fit...
Spoiler:
Your new one looks A LOT better!

The problem I have with your background is that the gradient have too many colors, and the gradient isn't high contrast enough. I can barely see that the background is chganging color. Since the rest of it is pixel art, why isn't the background?
You could try to do what I did. I used the backgrounds used in battle in the NDS games.

This is my Titlescreen:

(I'd like some feedback on mine aswell! )

As you can see, my background isn't as "boring" as yours, simply because there's some detail in it.
Gradients can be put to good use, but I think yours is in the wrong style.

Still, I love your new sprite and evil-shadow, along with the mysterious shadow on the left.
You might want to have something more on the left side, that isn't a shadow, to give the composition more balance!
Keep up the good work!
Old August 9th, 2013 (10:04 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

I like everything, but the lack of shadow below the Pokemon and the split between the characters is pretty abrupt. Maybe a little detail on the separation? Like a flash of lightning or something.. idk.

In Magic: The Gathering, there is a mechanic called Split Second and the mechanic is often reflected in the art, and it is a really neat split concept for opposition or change.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/products/timespiral/creative2_l97xjj11t7mxvx3r.jpg

or

http://www.epilogue.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/gallery_lg/images/06/38/36331_1159156800.jpg

or

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/TSP/Word_of_Seizing.jpg

I feel like it would be a decent execution of the concept even on a title screen as it creates action and interest while keeping things busy

Even altering something like a pixel picture of a forest to have part of it on fire or something, as opposed to the gradient.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Old August 9th, 2013 (10:09 AM).

I like everything, but the lack of shadow below the Pokemon and the split between the characters is pretty abrupt. Maybe a little detail on the separation? Like a flash of lightning or something.. idk.

In Magic: The Gathering, there is a mechanic called Split Second and the mechanic is often reflected in the art, and it is a really neat split concept for opposition or change.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/products/timespiral/creative2_l97xjj11t7mxvx3r.jpg

or

http://www.epilogue.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/gallery_lg/images/06/38/36331_1159156800.jpg

or

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/TSP/Word_of_Seizing.jpg

I feel like it would be a decent execution of the concept even on a title screen as it creates action and interest while keeping things busy

Even altering something like a pixel picture of a forest to have part of it on fire or something, as opposed to the gradient.
The second example is kind of what I was going for with the titlescreen. A clean nice cut between the two. It is supposed to be two titlescreens, taking up the same space, and I don't really want to make a fancy lightning or rip effect, because it'd look really messy. Just having a line between them doesn't really look good either, but I'll experiment a little!

As for the gradient, I didn't want a too fancy background, because it might take the focus off of the Pokémon and the Trainers.
I was actually testing with a forest and a forest on fire as the different ones, but it didn't really mix in well with the foreground without looking messy, and I didn't want to blur it, because blur ruins pixel-art imo. But I'll try some more!

Thanks for the input.
Old August 9th, 2013 (10:12 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

I can see how it would get too busy. I think some more emphasis on the splitting might be the ticket to keeping it simplistic yet interesting at the same time. I am interested in seeing what else you try.

All else fails, it still looks pretty good.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Old August 9th, 2013 (10:38 AM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by Harvey_Create.
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
the dolls are a little offputting, you should make them more doll-like, at first I mistook them for pokemon, but then I thought it'd be weird so it must be dolls
other than that the center seems a little cramped but I suppose its fine the way it is
They are the HGSS Follow me's, not dolls, and they were only in there for the screenshot.

I think the contrast on the counters is too little.
Also: A more orangey, or at least lighter red, color would be better for the wall.
It doesn't look great when its the same as Nurse Joys counter.

Other than that, I think it looks really nice :D
Ill see what I can do. I noticed that as well, but didnt know how anyone else felt about it.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 9th, 2013 (10:42 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

I would scrap them for counter flowers. They look super strange, whether they are dolls or actual Pokemon.

I am also not a fan of sticking things into a screenshot that are not representing what actual game play is like.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Old August 9th, 2013 (11:17 AM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Your new one looks A LOT better!

The problem I have with your background is that the gradient have too many colors, and the gradient isn't high contrast enough. I can barely see that the background is chganging color. Since the rest of it is pixel art, why isn't the background?
This is my Titlescreen:

(I'd like some feedback on mine aswell! )
Still, I love your new sprite and evil-shadow, along with the mysterious shadow on the left.
You might want to have something more on the left side, that isn't a shadow, to give the composition more balance!
Keep up the good work!
I see what you're saying - as for your screen, it seems a little abrupt with the change, I suppose its fine like that but they look very different, as one's hat is comparably larger than the other it seems a bit off-putting, and the backgrounds are also very differently shaded so clashing them together doesnt really blend well, but at the same time the contrast is still very interesting, maybe if the two sides were a little more symmetrical or asymmetrical - because there is too much of both right now - it should be one or the other, and I think you're looking for symmetry
Overall I like it a lot, but it could use some changes

as for your advice, I've been working on the placement to get it down, but I'm not sure what else I can add to balance the composition out without making it too cluttered
(and also I like having the shadow in the back left, as there isnt much to draw attention to it, yet it still catches your eye; similarly, you never see the main antagonist until the end, yet he is mentioned and he catches your attention)

as for the gradient, I suppose it doesnt really fit, or maybe I should make it more drastic - I'm not sure x.X anyway - I took your ideas and made two (though I think #1 is the better of the 2) one is more drastic changes as well as interesting - while the other is more pixel art, and sort of cool - I'm not sure, I'm driving myself mad trying to make the perfect backgorund
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Old August 9th, 2013 (11:21 AM).

as for your advice, I've been working on the placement to get it down, but I'm not sure what else I can add to balance the composition out without making it too cluttered
(and also I like having the shadow in the back left, as there isnt much to draw attention to it, yet it still catches your eye; similarly, you never see the main antagonist until the end, yet he is mentioned and he catches your attention)

as for the gradient, I suppose it doesnt really fit, or maybe I should make it more drastic - I'm not sure x.X anyway - I took your ideas and made two (though I think #1 is the better of the 2) one is more drastic changes as well as interesting - while the other is more pixel art, and sort of cool - I'm not sure, I'm driving myself mad trying to make the perfect backgorund
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think the first background looks better, but I think I know what the problem is with your background.
It's using the double resolution the foreground does.
You're not using 2x pixels for the background. That's why it clashes with the foreground.
Either make the foreground use smaller pixels aswell, or make the background have bigger ones.

---------------------

I tried fixing the split and adding shadows to the Pokémon.
I also recentered and added some borders.
Old August 9th, 2013 (11:23 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

I see what you're saying - as for your screen, it seems a little abrupt with the change, I suppose its fine like that but they look very different, as one's hat is comparably larger than the other it seems a bit off-putting, and the backgrounds are also very differently shaded so clashing them together doesnt really blend well, but at the same time the contrast is still very interesting, maybe if the two sides were a little more symmetrical or asymmetrical - because there is too much of both right now - it should be one or the other, and I think you're looking for symmetry
Overall I like it a lot, but it could use some changes

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Whatever is in the center should be black... and idk about the character shadow thing going on. Seems rather meh.

I tried fixing the split and adding shadows to the Pokémon.
I also recentered and added some borders.
Looks a million times better. Any way to get the characters to blend better? They are on a much softer pallet then that sprites and backgrounds.

The green background also has an abrupt change in tones where the orange one does not. Kind of throws me off.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Old August 9th, 2013 (11:40 AM).

HAHA! XD
I was hoping noone had time to post yet, so I could edit my post.

I just did that. :P

I plan to make the sprites of the pokemon much softer as well, when I have time XD
Old August 9th, 2013 (11:43 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

HAHA! XD
I was hoping noone had time to post yet, so I could edit my post.

I just did that.

I plan to make the sprites of the pokemon much softer as well, when I have time XD
I would actually, probably leave them and maybe soften up the BG just a touch then adjust the trainers to be honest. The trainers look much more anime still, which looks a bit awkward I think, but Damn that is starting to look good :D

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Old August 9th, 2013 (11:46 AM).

I would actually, probably leave them and maybe soften up the BG just a touch then adjust the trainers to be honest. The trainers look much more anime still, which looks a bit awkward I think, but Damn that is starting to look good :D
Well, I think the titlescreen is supposed to be a little more High definition, epic, not-the-usual-stuff kind of artwork, so I'd prefer to have the big color pallette the trainers use. They are actually based on BW2's Phone Mugshots, so I don't think they are a "misfit" for Pokémon! XD

But I'll try to soften up the BG a little.

Thanks for the help. My Titlescreen is so much more epic now, thanks to you! :D
Old August 9th, 2013 (11:55 AM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

It is mainly the skin tone that is getting to me I guess. It is pretty pale and seems to just clash with the more saturated colors of the title screen. Their clothing and hair color seems fine.

A final note, the screen looks great. I personally would play with the text below the sprites to make it look more official. The Text is arching like it should, but it is still vertically aligned which kind of clashes with the arching.

You can kind of see the difference. Mine is a little less subtle, but it is still applied to the official games as well. It just really helps with flow when you are doing anything with typography.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links