The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted August 9th, 2013 (11:58 AM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by tImE.
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Well, the biggest problem is the fact that I have two titles, which means, I either have to use very small font, or place them apart, otherwise it covers too much off the titlescreen.
If I could place them together, making a proper arch which flows well would be easier.

I'll try playing a little with the arch effect and try to make them one half of an arch each.
That might work.

EDIT:

I tried it out, and I think it works pretty well, but like I said, I'm afraid it covers too much screen area :/

Old Posted August 9th, 2013 (12:16 PM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
Well, the biggest problem is the fact that I have two titles, which means, I either have to use very small font, or place them apart, otherwise it covers too much off the titlescreen.
If I could place them together, making a proper arch which flows well would be easier.

I'll try playing a little with the arch effect and try to make them one half of an arch each.
That might work.

EDIT:

I tried it out, and I think it works pretty well, but like I said, I'm afraid it covers too much screen area :/

Play with the arching where it was originally located. It looks best there. I would not move the initial location at all.

If you have a PSD you can send me in a PM I can play with it too.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old Posted August 9th, 2013 (12:18 PM). Edited August 10th, 2013 by tImE.
tImE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
Play with the arching where it was originally located. It looks best there. I would not move the initial location at all.

If you have a PSD you can send me in a PM I can play with it too.
Here's one where I played with it in place.

I'll send you a PM with the PSD, too.

EDIT:

I have made it into an animation, with fixed font.

The Charizard has been mirrored and the animation is about 2x faster in the in-game version.
Old Posted August 12th, 2013 (06:08 PM). Edited August 12th, 2013 by Rayd12smitty.
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

New menu system for my game! I thought it was time for an upgrade. Thanks to Carmaniac and Venom12 for help learning how to script and the original menu script they made and edited which helped me learn to make this.

What do you think?

Minor Edit: Added red outline to the selected menu option
Old Posted August 12th, 2013 (06:16 PM).
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd12smitty View Post
New menu system for my game! I thought it was time for an upgrade. Thanks to Carmaniac and Venom12 for help learning how to script and the original menu script they made and edited which helped me learn to make this.

What do you think?
Looks pretty good. Also, while pointless, maybe a box with the time below the Day/Night/Morning?

Old Posted August 12th, 2013 (06:26 PM).
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:

What do you think?
I love it, Its very cool and like a real pause screen instead of the classic Pokemon style - Its very refreshing
good work!

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old Posted August 12th, 2013 (06:29 PM). Edited August 12th, 2013 by Rayd12smitty.
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
Looks pretty good. Also, while pointless, maybe a box with the time below the Day/Night/Morning?
My original plan was to put the time, but I couldn't figure out how...XD Thanks though! If you know how I could do it, I'll change it to the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
I love it, Its very cool and like a real pause screen instead of the classic Pokemon style - Its very refreshing
good work!
Thanks man! I've always had one, it was just much simpler. Glad you like it
Old Posted August 12th, 2013 (06:30 PM).
joeyhugg

Quote:

What do you think?

Minor Edit: Added red outline to the selected menu option
That looks pretty amazing. I am quite jealous.
Old Posted August 12th, 2013 (06:36 PM). Edited August 12th, 2013 by Rayd12smitty.
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
That looks pretty amazing. I am quite jealous.
Thanks! Took about 100 tries to get right but it was worth it

Quick little update on my menu. Thanks LostSoulsDev/Carmaniac for help with the time thing.

Old Posted August 14th, 2013 (03:15 AM).
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
It may be a video but there's no place else to put this so here is my starter selection sequence:

Spoiler:

No scripting involved!
Old Posted August 14th, 2013 (05:03 AM).
lauerolus

Turtwig vs Mudkip.

Why would you do that to me? The only way it could be was if you added Squirtle.
Old Posted August 18th, 2013 (06:39 PM).
Saving Raven

not much activity up here...

I'll just leave this little gem here, thoughts? comments? good day

Old Posted August 19th, 2013 (12:00 AM).
tImE

Quote:
not much activity up here...

I'll just leave this little gem here, thoughts? comments? good day
My only though is, unfortunately, the fact that you've mixed the 1x and 2x styles of spriting again.
The Item-Icon is too High Res. Either make the whole game high-res or the whole game low-res. It does not look good to mix.

Otherwise, it's a nice idea, but why not make your own outfits, rather than having the original ones? Makes for a much cooler feature!
Old Posted August 19th, 2013 (07:52 AM).
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
My only though is, unfortunately, the fact that you've mixed the 1x and 2x styles of spriting again.
The Item-Icon is too High Res. Either make the whole game high-res or the whole game low-res. It does not look good to mix.

Otherwise, it's a nice idea, but why not make your own outfits, rather than having the original ones? Makes for a much cooler feature!
well I guess I'll see about making it low res, it just looks terrible that way
and so far I've added 2 standard custom ones, and then 3 of my favorite ones - I plan on adding more, but I'm not really sure what to add or create - thanks for the thought though

Old Posted August 19th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Quote:
well I guess I'll see about making it low res, it just looks terrible that way
and so far I've added 2 standard custom ones, and then 3 of my favorite ones - I plan on adding more, but I'm not really sure what to add or create - thanks for the thought though
I have to agree with tImE- Having different resolution pictures next to each other makes it look very jarring. Keep the resolution constant. it makes it look more polished and professional.
Old Posted August 19th, 2013 (01:45 PM).
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
I have to agree with tImE- Having different resolution pictures next to each other makes it look very jarring. Keep the resolution constant. it makes it look more polished and professional.
that makes sense, but instead of showing the icon I decided to make it show the player wearing the outfit, so you can tell what it looks like without having to exit the bag menu and then go back if you dont like it

Old Posted August 22nd, 2013 (03:09 PM).
Unknown#
'Cause why not?
Community Supporter

Here is the title screen of my new game, with a logo done by the fantastic Master-Pixel on Deviantart!

Old Posted August 22nd, 2013 (03:14 PM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Logo looks incredibly out of place. It lacks any remotely similar jagged edges as the rest of the title screen has...

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old Posted August 23rd, 2013 (09:38 AM).
BadSamaritan
Its time for overtime

Hey guys. Under the cover of darkness Pokemon Imperial Sky is still being worked on. I finished multiple menus and stuff already, but here's one I've worked on for so long I'm not sure if it's good or not...

Please critique anything, colors, placement, etc. It's pretty much the most important menu in the game, so I want to make sure it looks appealing. Just don't mention the placement of the pokemon's names, I want to see if I can't get those to read diagonally with the purple boxes.
Old Posted August 23rd, 2013 (10:26 AM).
joeyhugg

I'm lovin that menu! It looks really nice! Only problem is, the text on the four icons on the right seem to be high definition, which looks out of place.
Old Posted August 23rd, 2013 (10:29 AM).
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyboy View Post
Hey guys. Under the cover of darkness Pokemon Imperial Sky is still being worked on. I finished multiple menus and stuff already, but here's one I've worked on for so long I'm not sure if it's good or not...

Please critique anything, colors, placement, etc. It's pretty much the most important menu in the game, so I want to make sure it looks appealing. Just don't mention the placement of the pokemon's names, I want to see if I can't get those to read diagonally with the purple boxes.
I love your design, its so simple, and yet so perfect - using this model it makes adding the "call" feature for shadow pokemon much easier - regardless, how does it show the player? will it just show the ball throwing animation? as it seems to be so low to the ground it seems wrong to have the traditional player back shot throwing the pokeball in such a manner

a question though is where will the "shiny star" (the icon for shiny pokemon) appear? on the purple area of the box? or somewhere else

the whole design is just so appealing, I love it and how it looks, its just great - a fantastic turn from the traditional rectangle boxes

as for the scenery, it's great and gives me high hopes for the other backdrops

Old Posted August 23rd, 2013 (11:24 AM).
Unknown#
'Cause why not?
Community Supporter

I went back and changed the logo so it would be in the more tradition style. As always, I absolutely NEED feedback.

Old Posted August 23rd, 2013 (11:38 AM).
BadSamaritan
Its time for overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
I went back and changed the logo so it would be in the more tradition style. As always, I absolutely NEED feedback.

It flows better in terms of edges. The color irks me though, as the entire background is a relaxed "cool" color combo, and then the logo has a really dark blue+a really warm color pink.

I suggest turning down the contrast of both and you'll have a winning combo
Old Posted August 24th, 2013 (02:37 PM).
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Got some work done on my game. So what I've added is events which change depending on time. When it's night you'll find that people will go home from outside and some new people may appear depending on the area. You'll also find houses which require you to knock the door or find you can't get in at all.
I've still got quite a bit of work to do yet, adding in a couple of people, changing the window skins and the day/night tones.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old Posted August 24th, 2013 (05:47 PM).
ImBlue
dabbadeedabadai

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
Got some work done on my game. So what I've added is events which change depending on time. When it's night you'll find that people will go home from outside and some new people may appear depending on the area. You'll also find houses which require you to knock the door or find you can't get in at all.
I've still got quite a bit of work to do yet, adding in a couple of people, changing the window skins and the day/night tones.
That's really interesting; when you say people go home do you mean they actually travel back to their house? Or just that at night they are found inside, and during the day they are outside, but you won't actually see them walk to or from their home?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links