The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Nature: Relaxed
No PokemonYellowX, you cannot use them.

The Mega Man Legends series is one close to my heart. After 10 years of waiting for the Legends 3, I was happy to hear it was in developement. Yet now Capcom has canceled it and I want to do my part in fighting for it to come back.

So I made a little sprite image. Mega Man combined with Gurren Lagann? Surely something awesome can convince Capcom to again continue to make it!

Row row, fight the powah!

Data was some scratching. Mega Man and his Giga Drill are sprite overs from the show. I was lazy with the background and just used the background from the Ace Attorney games (Think of that laziness as just a way to show my support for another Capcom screw up, not localizing Investigations 2 =P)

So if your a fan of the Legends series, Mega Man, would be awesome 3DS games, or stopping corporations from killing off great franchises, you should all join the fight! There's a Facebook group getting people. We're already past 37,000 people, and we're always growing.

Let's just say I really think this can work. I've seen smaller fan gatherings get things done. This could mean the future of Mega Man, and who doesn't love the blue bomber?

Support Mega Man getting off the moon and help get Capcom to make Legends 3!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Clusterfudge
Explosive-licious

DAT DRILL is BIG AS FU-Ahem, that is great, the drill should probably have a third shade between the darkest and lightest so it isn't so much of a contrast, but very solid, I enjoy your work.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Nice sprites, nice work, unique!

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

I have finally done it. I have finished the spriting tutorial.

This is it, every video.

I will reiterate, you should watch all parts. The main meat I will admit are in parts 4 and 5, but useful information is in each, all of which can help you become a better spriter.

Scratching Tutorial

Part 1 - Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hqCERlVrAY

Part 2 - Concept and Planning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAggLqfync

Part 3 - MS Paint Basics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssify8NIJw

Part 4 - Form and Line Art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxG5B00JqQQ

Part 5 - Coloring and Shading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_VFCx-x-A

Part 6 - Finishing Touches and Posting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqNWFFITlbA

----------

Hopefully with this out of the way, I can go back to my casual spriting since this wont' be looming over my now.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

More Super Poke' World stuff. Video description will explain more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRkfJN8q-s

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
PokemonyellowX
Team Black Forest owner

Nature: Quiet
why cant i use them? please tell me!

nuttallart.blogspot.com owner

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6363
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonyellowX View Post
why cant i use them? please tell me!
A number of reasons.

1. You didn't even have the decency to tell me specifically: what sprites in specific, why you wanted them, what you wanted them for, or anything else along those lines that might be useful to me. I can only assume based on some of your other posts and threads that you wanted my Fakemon for some form of hack.
2. I don't like giving permission for my sprites out. Too many people ask, but for the few times I've said "yes" in the past, nothing comes of it. I'm not a fan of attaching my name to even more uncompleted projects. I also don't like getting my hopes up that some use will come of it.
3. People ask for my sprites, but I don't know why. If your looking to use them for a hack or something, I'm curious why people ask me. I have no back sprites and won't be making back sprites for a long time. Pokemon sprites are useless without those, and if you aren't able to make your own sprites (hence why you're probably asking someone else for some) then what good do my sprites do you? If you know someone who can make the back sprites, then why do you need my front sprites? It doesn't make sense to me. If you can't even realize that, I hardly expect the hack you plan to use them in will get far.
4. You grammar and way with words implies someone who isn't serious. A serious person who really wanted to recruit me for a project would try to set it up to a deal. Would try and convince me to help them. They would spell things out properly, explain everything, and tell me why I should. They wouldn't act so casual about it. You can't even bother to properly tell me much and haven't bothered to even capitalize your own words. A show of disorganization and lack of seriousness. How am I to believe you will take my sprites and make magic with them, when you can't even ask to properly?

So overall, it's because clearly you can't be trusted to represent them properly. I'm picky, stingy, paranoid, selfish, mean, arrogant, and plain just don't trust letting just anyone use my sprites. You made a bad first impression, failed to make any attempt to sell me on it, and your follow up question has come off as whining more than anything else.

I do hope that answers your question adequately.

Last edited by Jappio; November 11th, 2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Snivy063
Booted out - don't be like me!

Wow, you got amazing sprites there, it's very unique and professional at the same time. Tutorials are nicely explained and done as well! :)
Old November 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Just a couple more Fakemon to post.

Old November 13th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Deadrocks

Nature: Lax
Dude! You're splicing tutorial totally helped! I remembered I used to do it back in the day! Good tut!

Old November 17th, 2011, 06:06 PM
zigzagame
Beginning Trainer

holly wow...you are talented.
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
TeaSpork
I disapprove.

Thanks for the tutorial, It was AWESOME!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:59 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Quote:

Wow these are incredible, i love the coloring and shading of these sprites, my favorite is the red one. Do you have names picked out for them yet?

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old December 16th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

I do have names for most of my Fakemon. Pix, Angeta, and Devi are the names for those three.

Two more Fakemon updates.

I actually kept the old version of the poison dragon as a base and just altered it. First time I think so far where the old form was kept as a base like that. Hopefully that means things will start to be easier like he was going into more.

Old December 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Nice coloring on the shading and coloring on the newest Fakemon that you have posted. I really like the smile for this Fakemon the most. Great job.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

I wish I could call these scratches or actually be scratching them. Yet they are suppose to go with some already premade NPC type sprites, so I have to keep style, and with overworlds, unless the person your doing is really weirdly shaped, that's sadly not possible. So a lot of things like the legs and stuff are almost identical looking, even though I didn't use the originals as a base =/

Oh well, still happy with how they are coming out. Only two more party members, and then I might move onto the in battle sprites.

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
ross-z
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Serious
I'd just like to say thank-you jappio, you got me into spriting when I watched your splicing video, I love all of your work please keep on posting!!!
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

No need to thank me, I should thank you for enjoying my works thus far!

Ok, this sheet is now done and full. I'm happy with the outcomes personally, but as always I'm open to any comments you all might have.

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
ross-z
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Serious
I love the persian evolution, and the devil, I think pokemon should be a bit more fierce these days, I mean they are animals after all, intelligent yet still animals, so I really like the smoke dragon, It's super cool! I wonder what a stunfisk evolution would look like???
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Well, just a little fooling around as usual. This may or may not see some type of future use. My friend has this little character known as Goo. Just a little blob guy. There is a game he is meant for, something Kirby esque as far gameplay and such (this is why I decided to make him in a Kirby style). I don't know if there will be any actual game though, which is why there are only three actual sprites for the time being.

In the animation, there are two different styles. The first few frames have him moving, using his standing frame in the middle of the movement, yet in the later half of the animation I don't use the standing frame. Wasn't sure which looked better.

Background was ripped from Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland by HyperGumba.

And since this was a minor update, I messed around a little and made a familiar face in a style I'm not use to making him in.

Old January 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Ledian evolution bothered me a ton. Just couldn't figure out a design I liked for him for the longest time. Finally was able to settle on that, and I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Old January 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Potentially the style we'll be using for the RPG.

Ryu looks weird when he isn't super short. Not sure on size yet, probably going to wait till I get a few of the other characters made, and then I'll decide.

A few options for fur colors. Going to talk to the character's creator to pick one.

The guy on the left is from Soul Nomad. I'm a fan of NIS style sprites, and this style I think will allow us to show off our character's designs well. A lot of thought has to be put into this type of thing though, so we might abandon the style. We have to keep in mind enemy sprites too, and how we handle them.

So I know it's probably not best to start working on the sprites like this before I get the creator's input, but I was in the mood to sprite something like this, so if we decide to do something else, then so be it.

Last edited by Jappio; January 20th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Well here we go, Team Rocket is pretty much complete.

I apologize for Jame's green hair. Trust me, I spent I think over an hour trying to change it. From the research I was able to dig up, you can't apparently change the palette on Bowser's sprite, so I don't think I will be able to alter it myself. I hear with enough hacking skill one can though, so actual hacks using these sprites will hopefully have people who can bother to change it.

Also for anyone out there who might be kind of stupid: The music, voices, and the zooming in are not in game. It is just video editing.

Changing Peach and Mecha Koopas will come later. Probably Wigglytuff and Wobufette. Might still do a joke switch of Peach for Ash in dress. Not sure if I'll stick with just Ash in dress, or go with his female counterpart from the Erika episode. Female counterpart could make sense canon-wise, Ash in dress would be more recognizable. I guess I can always just do three version too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLiJa8SclwM

Old January 26th, 2012, 01:20 PM
BeliVuk
Pokemon Stadium 64 Player

This looks really good :o

Sorry about my crap grammar, I'm to lazy to fix it.
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Could use a little bit of help everyone.

Working on some Fakemon, I was liking where I was going, then bam!

I now have three different designs for the 'eye' on his back. I wasn't intending it to be a real eye, just sort of a pattern. Yet I can't decide between the few ways I have it drawn. The first is nice and simple, but I worry about how it doesn't stick out well. The second sticks out a little better, but something seems off. The third sticks out great, but it's starting to look too real, too complex for a simple marking possibly. As I'm typing this, I tried turning the first one's color around so the eye was black instead of purple, and that might work.

So does one in particular look nice to any of you? Is there perhaps a 4th option that might work better? I tried a few other color combinations too, but I just don't know. Any comments, CnC, or critique would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links