Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page Is Pokémon Getting Too Tedious?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

View Poll Results: Is Pokémon tedious?
Oh yes. I have someone else raise my competitive team, if any, so all I do is just battle over Wi-Fi. 3 10.34%
Well, sort of. I guess you could always try the Super Contests or some other side quest. 5 17.24%
Well, not really. Having a worthwhile team after all that breeding and training means plenty of fun, both in the game and against human opponents. 12 41.38%
Heck no! What the hell are you talking about?! Pokémon is awesome! Either train well or get the hell out!! 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17th, 2008 (12:16 AM). Edited May 20th, 2008 by Unlimited NiGHTS.
Banned
Team Hoenn

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Unlimited NiGHTS Send a message via Yahoo to Unlimited NiGHTS
Well, think about it. Ever since we got Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version, the basic idea has been very much the same. In fact, there is really very little difference between all the games, when it comes right down to it.

Quote originally posted by Unlimited NiGHTS:
I would like to mention here that this thread only concerns games such as Red, Blue, Stadium, Gale of Darkness, Diamond, and Battle Revolution. It does not concern Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, or anything else.

Please keep your thoughts limited to these games.
You = Trainer
You catch Pokémon.
You train Pokémon.
You battle Pokémon.
You save the Pokémon world from some dumb evil organization.
You catch a required legendary Pokémon.
You win Gym Badges.
You beat the Elite Four and Champion.
You EV train.
You breed for IVs, Natures, and egg moves.
You start a new game for that legendary Pokémon you need for your team because the one you already caught is crap.
You kick me in the head for coming up with such a long list, then go back to repeating this process over and over again.

Honestly, it's the same thing, rehashed constantly. Not even Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are any exception to this.

As for me, this is getting too tedious for me to really continue with it. I doubt even the upcoming Platinum Version will keep me interested.

Then again, I take no joy from Shoddy, either. You didn't work for your Pokémon there, you made them, and the people in the chat rooms are usually talking about something dumb, such as how much a certain person gets laid.

So yeah, this is getting too tedious for me. What about the rest of you?
Old May 17th, 2008 (12:34 AM).
Which chocolate is the best?
Team Kanto

It's getting a little tedious, but not ALOT. I mean, maybe they could build a different concept to the game.. i just don't know.

My (now dead) Pc family:
Old May 17th, 2008 (12:48 AM).
Born to kill.
Team Hoenn

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ErickaVolt Send a message via Yahoo to ErickaVolt
Making a new storyline for Pokemon would be cool. But no wai Pokemon is always awesome!
Old May 17th, 2008 (01:01 AM).
Metapod is hot
Team Kanto

Nature: Adamant
I dont think they could possibly make another game on the same story line besides platinum of course

But yeah its a little tedious but theres still plenty of things to do

Extreme Gym Shoddy battle badges:

4339 0081 3943
Old May 17th, 2008 (01:34 AM).
Banned
Team Hoenn

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Unlimited NiGHTS Send a message via Yahoo to Unlimited NiGHTS
I don't know. Maybe I'm just missing some sort of inspiration that most of you possess already.

Being alone sucks...
Old May 17th, 2008 (01:57 AM).
I rawr youu!!
Team Kalos

Being alone sucks...
Yes, it is... be my bud?? Lol!

Hmm... your post actually made me think... it is! getting too tedious... i mean the storyline and the whole concept...
Nintendo should really do sumthin... the comin 5th generation game should be somewhat diffrent... yes to new pokemon, region, attacks and also to the story and pretty much the concept... for once let us choose our destiny... (lol, where did that came from) we can choose to be a trainer or even a breeder... uhhh... thats it for now...
don't ever look back
they'll tear us apart
if you give them the chance
don't sell your heart
don't say we're not meant to be
forever will be
<3 you and me <3

Old May 17th, 2008 (02:46 AM).
Screw Pokemon. Facepunch ftw.
Team Unova

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DiggorysGremlin
I'd say it is. you should choose what you should be doing. Like that's ever gonna happen. But still, they SHOULD be able to liven the games up a little.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 17th, 2008 (03:23 AM).
Dance Instructor
Team Unova
Gold Tier

for me pokemon is my favourite 'pass your time without any brain activity but still the feeling you're doing something worth your time'

VOTE NADER
Storm - FC: 0902 9251 9186
"I have a dream that my Pokémon will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

~ Martin Luther Kingler on shiny Pokémon
Old May 17th, 2008 (03:26 AM).
Banned
Team Hoenn

Quote originally posted by Storm-DC:
for me pokemon is my favourite 'pass your time without any brain activity but still the feeling you're doing something worth your time'
I must say that this is the funniest response yet.
Old May 17th, 2008 (04:54 AM).
Defender of the Old Order
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Rune
They really should think about redesigning the game
Maybe A new battle system. Not turn-based like it is now
Pokedex Completed : 12 February 2010 @ 23:08

Out of Practice VGC player and member since 2006? Really? That was when Shiny Gold and stuff were happening here lol.

Dark Void Smeargle is bad and you should feel bad.
Old May 17th, 2008 (01:59 PM).
Pokémon Aureolin
Team Sinnoh
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
I must admit it is getting a bit to repetitive.
But if they changed it to much then it wouldn't seem like pokemon I guess :\
They should bring back Team Rocket (As I thought it was the only decent team.) and have a region with like 10 gyms or something. And there should be a tournament at the end or something.
But yeah, I agree they should do something different but not to different so it doesn't seem like our good ol' Pogeyman anymore.
So yeah, it is getting a bit tedious.
Old May 17th, 2008 (02:30 PM).
Don't pick sides, pick both
Team Hoenn
Platinum TierEO

Nature: Sassy
I too will admit it is rather repetetive but, usualy pokemon comes up with something else.

Old May 17th, 2008 (03:32 PM).
A Rare Pikachu Lover
Team Sinnoh

Send a message via AIM to PikachuEX Send a message via Skype™ to PikachuEX
You know what a fresh concept would be? A Pokémon MMORPG. It would have anime-style battles,a Pokémon League tournament, and a Grand Festival.
Old May 17th, 2008 (06:46 PM).
living legend
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Adamant
I don't think its repetition is such a bad thing since the formula is a good one. If you get tired of the formula, then there are other RPGs, but new generations of players will play new generations of games Nintendo makes, so it won't end anytime soon and IMO it shouldn't.

The repetition is sometimes annoying, but each game has some unique factors about it (significant ones) that make it different.

Team Rater & Builder | Community Contributor | Event Coordinator
Former Strategies and Movesets Moderator | Battle Server Administrator
Old May 17th, 2008 (07:14 PM).
very original
Team Kalos

I don't really care too much about the repitition but then again I wouldn;t mind seeing something different in the 5th gen.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl wants to learn the character Lucario.
However, Super Smash Bros. Brawl already knows four pokemon characters.
Should a character be deleted and replaced with Lucario?
Which character should be forgotten?
1,2, and... ... ... Poof!
Super Smash Bros. Brawl forgot Mewtwo.
And...
Super Smash Bros. Brawl learned Lucario!
Old May 18th, 2008 (04:25 AM).
Team Kanto

You EV train.
I've not the faintest idea about what that is.

Every game sequel is a remake of its predecessor...
A lot of people play Halo 3, and that's effectively Halo 1 with better graphics, different maps, enemies and weapons.
In exactly the same manner, Diamond and Pearl is just Red and Blue with better graphics, different maps, Pokemon and moves.

There is a point where a franchise's number of sequels begins to outstretch its worth; but on the whole, people just like repetition, I guess... To answer your question, I think Pokemon became tedious at the point of Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Pokemon could try something a bit different at least, though, like how Call of duty 4 is set today as opposed to World War II like it's prequels.
Old May 18th, 2008 (07:12 AM).
Team Hoenn

Quote originally posted by PikachuEX:
You know what a fresh concept would be? A Pokémon MMORPG. It would have anime-style battles,a Pokémon League tournament, and a Grand Festival.
that is both a stupid and incredibly good concept.

however it wouldnt really work, i do think a type of game where you could choose to live life how you want to. would work nicely.

the main games should stay the same though, its a good concept

Old May 18th, 2008 (07:19 AM).
Find your niche.
Team Johto
Platinum Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Well, it's a bit tedious, but not too much...

Maybe it's for the generations after us, that's why they improve little and stick with the originals...
Anyway, sticking with spin-off games isn't really a bad idea, anyway...
Old May 18th, 2008 (09:14 AM).
Take it slow, bro.
Team Kanto

Pokemon has always been about rehashing the same tired formula for a quick buck- no matter how terrible the game is, it'll sell like crazy because IT'S POKEMON. Something like:

would never happen. It would take far too much effort and creativity. Not to mention that Nintendo would never allow any sort of online contact outside of Friend Codes- they want to be family friendly.

I is an artist.

Quote originally posted by Aquillae:
Competitive pokemon is serious business.
Old May 19th, 2008 (02:39 AM).
Team Sinnoh

It really depends. With anime it does get sort of predictable but this eason it's changing a bit with more unexpected stuff happening. With the games they try and make the storyplot better but in the end, it is the same thing over and over again and it does get tedious.

However there are a few more new things which aren't as dull. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has a decent story plot and it isn't the catch pokemon in a poke ball all the time thing. I know Pokemon don't want to change or add in too many new concepts but I really would like to see a 3D role playing game besides Coloseum and XD. They were okay but maybe you should have the character be more involved in the game while also being about pokemon.
Old May 20th, 2008 (02:45 PM).
very original
Team Kalos

The problem with this working is that although the pokemon fanbase is rather large, the majority of it is little kids. MMORPG's require a monthly fee, tend to be a bit too complicated for most young kids, expensive to maintain, and I highly doubt most parents would be willing to pay for their young kids to play a game that is of a highly addicting genre.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl wants to learn the character Lucario.
However, Super Smash Bros. Brawl already knows four pokemon characters.
Should a character be deleted and replaced with Lucario?
Which character should be forgotten?
1,2, and... ... ... Poof!
Super Smash Bros. Brawl forgot Mewtwo.
And...
Super Smash Bros. Brawl learned Lucario!
Old May 20th, 2008 (02:52 PM).
Banned
Team Hoenn

I would like to mention here that this thread only concerns games such as Red, Blue, Stadium, Gale of Darkness, Diamond, and Battle Revolution. It does not concern Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, or anything else.

Please keep your thoughts limited to these games.
Old May 20th, 2008 (04:12 PM).
is too lazy to make a new ava
Team Hoenn

Send a message via AIM to Jirbytaylor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jirbytaylor
I don't think the series is getting tedious, I just don't want the Pokedex count to get any LONGER! D:

If Nintendo wants to add more of the dang things, maybe include more "sub-species" of a sort?
We have shinies, Spinda's multiple spot patterns, gender differences, region area differences like Shellos... more of things like that would be fine.

But to catch 497 of them? Sounds like it would take 400 hours of gameplay. I think if Acerus is meant to be the creator of existence, maybe that's to be the very last entry in the Pokedex? (Unless they just move him down with the introduction of more. D: )

Maybe more varied storyline would be good, by that I mean you don't have to end the main game by completing the Pokemon league, but also through contests, breeding (maybe even being able to set up a daycare to earn cash), or other expanded versions of current side quests.

(wow I haven't been here in AGES)
Old May 20th, 2008 (04:29 PM).
Take it slow, bro.
Team Kanto

Quote originally posted by Brock_Lee:
The problem with this working is that although the pokemon fanbase is rather large, the majority of it is little kids. MMORPG's require a monthly fee, tend to be a bit too complicated for most young kids, expensive to maintain, and I highly doubt most parents would be willing to pay for their young kids to play a game that is of a highly addicting genre.
Someone clearly hasn't seen the amount of twelve year olds that play WoW.

I is an artist.

Quote originally posted by Aquillae:
Competitive pokemon is serious business.
Old May 20th, 2008 (04:38 PM).
dreamme,myWorld
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
When you really think about it, there are times when you think that y'know, Pokemon is sometimes getting tedious. But at the same time, it gives you something to do when you're bored. I'm surprised to be finding myself playing LeafGreen again. And my other old games, like Colosseum. That's certainly a surprise, knowing I haven't touched any of those games in an extremely long time.

I guess at times it can be, and at times it can really be fun when it comes to actually playing them, they just might waste the boredom that some people have, or should I say, a majority.

» my dreamiverse
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links