The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to GymLeaderLance99 Send a message via Yahoo to GymLeaderLance99
Just a Very Quick Update
Routes 45 and 46 have been finished up. I'm going to revise Dark Cave and add the items to Whirl Islands now (I already revised most of the events and maps there, so it's just that left to add), and then it's onto Kanto. I should hopefully have those done by Sunday or Monday.

Old August 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Send a message via AIM to GymLeaderLance99 Send a message via Yahoo to GymLeaderLance99
Update
I finished up Dark Cave, added the items to the Whirl Islands and made sure the teleports were all set, and went back and finished up the Ruins of Alph with the messages and everything. I'll have to go back to it when I figure out how I'll handle the Unown thing, since IIRC, those secret rooms only opened up when you had all the different Unown in Crystal. Here are some Ruins screens showing the messages, including the Kabuto room message in there just in case I didn't show it before.

In order, it's the Kabuto, Aerodactyl, Omanyte, and Ho-Oh rooms.

And that's it; Johto's now in the books for the moment. For the last leg of the revising, it's onto Routes 26 and 27 and Victory Road, which I'll hopefully have done by Monday. I'll start talking to Shadow Pingu to make sure he's on schedule with the CBS.

Old August 8th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...

Nature: Relaxed
It sounds like everything is going great Lance! This progress is just staggering, I can't wait to try it out, man.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Hehe, thanks. That should be sometime next week, with any luck.

Update
All right, Routes 27, 26, Victory Road, and Route 23 are all finished up. I'm sure everyone knows how Routes 26 and 27 look, but I thought I'd take my own slight spin on Route 23 since it was kinda too short in GSC, and the screens below showcase it (along with one shot of Victory Road).

Personally, I like how it came out, but it feels like the waterfalls are missing something that the chipset doesn't have. =/

Anyway, the last thing to do should be revising the Indigo Plateau events and the end of game stuff, which I'll hopefully have started or finished in the next few days before working on revising a new comparison for my GX/5D's site. If anyone spots their sprites or anything in the game, I'd say now's a good time to let me know about it so I can update the credits.

Old August 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Atomic Reactor
Criticism, I give it.

Nature: Rash
You should make the entire walk way stairs. Otherwise the elevation change doesnt make sense. Like, the waterfalls are coming straight down, yet the stair case seems to have leveled out areas. It should be just a long staircase.
And, the waterfalls should have edges? Know what I mean? Like otherwise you see no elevation change.

Oh, and if you can for the caves (idk how much chipset space you have) put in some other variations of rocks. Just to mix it up a bit.

Everything is looking pretty cool. Sorry I havn't said anything before (not that my opinion means much lol) But yeah, keep up the great work. Does your battle system work 100% right now? And all your other systems?
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
You should make the entire walk way stairs. Otherwise the elevation change doesnt make sense. Like, the waterfalls are coming straight down, yet the stair case seems to have leveled out areas. It should be just a long staircase.
Yeah, you've got a point. I was thinking of adding solid water spots in between like in the staircase, but it didn't look too good. I'll work on it.
Quote:
And, the waterfalls should have edges? Know what I mean? Like otherwise you see no elevation change.
Yeah, I'm trying to work on the waterfalls, but I don't have a good waterfall autotile or anything for RM2K3, and the only other one is for RMXP, has four autotiles with different animation frames, and as a result, I don't know which of those would be good to use (it's the one posted by NyteWolf over on Page 1 of the Resource thread). I resized it to work on an RM2K3 chipset, but I don't know which frames or anything I should use.
Quote:
Oh, and if you can for the caves (idk how much chipset space you have) put in some other variations of rocks. Just to mix it up a bit.
You mean in the way the Victory Road cave looks, or make it a different style of rock? I'm actually kinda thinking of making Route 23 a snowy area, too. XD
Quote:
Everything is looking pretty cool. Sorry I havn't said anything before (not that my opinion means much lol) But yeah, keep up the great work. Does your battle system work 100% right now? And all your other systems?
Heh, no problem. As for the Battle System, I haven't implemented it into the game yet, but Shadow_Pingu's been working on it over the last few months and should have it finished by or slightly after the time I get this revised demo out, and I'll start doing it. The Bike system is pretty good thanks to the help I got from Neo-Dragon, but it'll probably need some tweaking to play the right theme after dismounting it. And I fixed up the Day/Night system to be like one that Rubyrulez posted in the Tutorials section, and it's pretty good; I have it activate when the "You're outside" switch is turned on while leaving a house or something like that, but I'll have to tweak it so that it doesn't cause trouble in caves, since that switch is also needed for the Bike coding. I'll probably make another switch for being in caves and fix it as needed.

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Atomic Reactor
Criticism, I give it.

Ok right on. I would suggest having the battle system in the demo.

Oh and about the rocks, I just mean that you used one tile for the rocks. Not like the walls or the ground, the rocks. If you had 1 or 2 more rocks, and varied them up, it would look better.

And that idea with the leveled areas of water would look neat. I'm sure you could pull it off somehow.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
Oh and about the rocks, I just mean that you used one tile for the rocks. Not like the walls or the ground, the rocks. If you had 1 or 2 more rocks, and varied them up, it would look better.
Ohhh. I thought you meant the outside on Route 23. XD Yeah, I agree, it wasn't that varied. I'll work on diversifying it a bit.
Quote:
And that idea with the leveled areas of water would look neat. I'm sure you could pull it off somehow.
Well, I might've now. I managed to add the waterfall base to the chipset, so it looks okay, I think. It's probably missing something on top, though. Screens below.

Well, after a good hour or three working on the chipset, adding some snow tiles from the Complete Johto RMXP tileset into the chipset, and working on fixing the views from the Victory Road/League Gate and the VRoad/Indigo parts of the maps so it won't be snowy in the former (yet still have some flurries) while it's all snowy up in the latter part of it. I also fixed a few pixel errors with the Pokemon League Building stuff. Here's some screens of the Route now:

Feedback is welcome.

Old August 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM
fireyboy345
Skilled Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Modest
I like it. The waterfalls still look a bit funny but they look better then before. Just one little problem is that if it is snowing then why are there nice blooming flowers? Just thought i would critique a bit.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireyboy345 View Post
I like it. The waterfalls still look a bit funny but they look better then before. Just one little problem is that if it is snowing then why are there nice blooming flowers? Just thought i would critique a bit.
Yeah, I'm kinda worried about that, too. The tileset I got the snow tiles from didn't have snow flowers in it, and with my skills in spriting being less than decent, I don't know what colors to add where to make the flowers have some snow on 'em. Until I find a tileset that has snow flowers, I guess they'll have to do. =/

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Atomic Reactor
Criticism, I give it.

Looking better. The next thing i would suggest, is get rid of the trees by the waterfall. The trees are all on the same elevation, which throws it off. Put mountain walls there instead eh?

Btw, you could just get rid of the flowers and replace it with... idk, rocks or more path?
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
Looking better. The next thing i would suggest, is get rid of the trees by the waterfall. The trees are all on the same elevation, which throws it off. Put mountain walls there instead eh?

Btw, you could just get rid of the flowers and replace it with... idk, rocks or more path?
Hmm...well, for the latter, I decided to just use the snowy bushes where the flowers are as a temporary solution (might look a bit repetitive, though). With any luck, someone'll post a snow flower autotile or something.

As for the former, yeah, I went and fixed it up a bit and added the walls, as seen below:

My only worry is that the walls at the foot of the waterfall should probably be a tile higher. I could probably move it up and fix the tree discrepancies there with the snow bush, but I wanted to get feedback first.

Old August 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Big Update
Well guys, I've finished revising all of the Indigo Plateau stuff, and after making sure I didn't leave anything out back in Johto, I present to you: the revised GlitterGold Demo!

As I said, it contains everything up to the Elite 4, and any previously missing events should be here. You'll also find the incomplete Battle Tower to the north of Route 40 (which I'll make a Battle Frontier after the Elite 4), and the start of the Trick House. I'll try to get some work done on the puzzles once the CBS is put in. So, like I said, the CBS won't be implemented until the next demo, after Shadow Pingu finishes it, so aside from that, enjoy. Also...I'm aware that the title screen'll need some improving, so just bear with it. XD *updates the first post*

Also, Blazers started making a userbar for the game but couldn't finish it, so I finished it up. I probably messed it up by adding Gold, Ho-Oh, and Kris to it, though. ;D

URL: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...olduserbar.jpg

Credit to Avatar for Gold, Atomic Lugia for Ho-Oh, and rm2k3kid for Kris.

So, feel free to let me know if you find any errors or bugs.

Last edited by GymLeaderLance99; August 15th, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

I like what you did with the banner!
But anywho, as soon as were able to free up some space on our 1 gig free hardrive >.>.. I'll download the game!
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Heh, thanks. Though I kinda thought adding the sprites would've been a bad thing. XD

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Misty4Life
~Paired with a bribed shipper~

Okay, well I downloaded the demo and here's a list of the good and the bad.

Good:
1.Has the original girl character(Kris/Crystal.)
2.Moves easily
3.Has good text speed and working night/day system
4. Has better simplicity that fits a remake of Gold/Silver/Crystal rather than HG/SS(which I still like, but in a different way.)

Bad:
Basically, all I thought was bad were the glitches. Here's what's happened so far.

1.No wild Pokemon appeared.(Is this supposed to happen for the demo? I wouldn't think so.)
2.When I entered the station(or whatever it's called) in the forest and when I walked out I was in the middle of an area of trees and couldn't move. (I could turn around, but not move.)
3.When I tried to enter Mr.Pokemon's house, I was blocked by a space and the demo froze.

This is as far as I got. Now, these glitches might just be my computer, but they're something to look into. At first, I wasn't going to play this game because I thought "Why play a remake of Gold/Silver/Crystal when the game's coming out soon?" Well I was wrong. This demo made me realize that I wanted to play the original version as well, with Kris and everything. I'm now supporting and anticipating this game's release as much as HG/SS. I hope you can fix the glitches.

Edit: Sorry, I meant remake of Gold, not Gold/Silver/Crystal. Duh.

Credit to Miniryu for my theme~
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty4Life View Post
1.Has the original girl character(Kris/Crystal.)
The only problem here is that she's not in completely, per se, since the graphics for her surfing, biking, running, and fishing still need to be sprited, which I'm no good with. And to that end, if you try surfing or biking, you'll be borrowing Gold's sprites. That's why I'm looking for an overworld spriter to help out. ;D

Quote:
Bad:
Basically, all I thought was bad were the glitches. Here's what's happened so far.

1.No wild Pokemon appeared.(Is this supposed to happen for the demo? I wouldn't think so.)
Yeah, since the CBS isn't in yet, there's no wild Pokemon. I'm hoping to be able to add them when it's finished and I'm able to implement it.
Quote:
2.When I entered the station(or whatever it's called) in the forest and when I walked out I was in the middle of an area of trees and couldn't move. (I could turn around, but not move.)
Aw, I thought I fixed all the teleports after I expanded the maps to fix scrolling issues. D: I'll fix that and reupload the demo. (Wait, do you mean the gatehouse around Ilex Forest? Because I just looked over those teleports and they're all set. =/ Unless...you mean the gatehouse on Route 29? In which case, fixed.)
Quote:
3.When I tried to enter Mr.Pokemon's house, I was blocked by a space and the demo froze.
Ah, the problem was that I never put a Move Event to put the Hero right under Mr. Pokemon, and it probably froze because Oak was stuck behind you as a result. Fixed.

Okay, here's the really-revised demo. Hopefully, there'll be no teleport issues now.

Quote:
At first, I wasn't going to play this game because I thought "Why play a remake of Gold/Silver/Crystal when the game's coming out soon?" Well I was wrong. This demo made me realize that I wanted to play the original version as well, with Kris and everything. I'm now supporting and anticipating this game's release as much as HG/SS. I hope you can fix the glitches.

Edit: Sorry, I meant remake of Gold, not Gold/Silver/Crystal. Duh.
Thanks for the support. =D

Old August 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Misty4Life

Now I have good news and bad news. Good news- You fixed the gatehouse that I was talking about. Bad news(and I really hate to disappoint you)- I still couldn't get into Mr.Pokemon's house. I got a step further than last time and the door was opened, but then my character still froze. I realized its not the screen that froze, but the character. The flowers were still moving. Also, some minor bad news is that it rains everytwhere, even indoors. But that's no big deal, I can still play through the game with rain indoors. So yeah, I'll be awaiting corrections. (No hurry, though. I'm sure you're really busy.)

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
Now I have good news and bad news. Good news- You fixed the gatehouse that I was talking about. Bad news(and I really hate to disappoint you)- I still couldn't get into Mr.Pokemon's house. I got a step further than last time and the door was opened, but then my character still froze. I realized its not the screen that froze, but the character. The flowers were still moving.
That's weird. I just tested it before I put up the fixed demo, and that didn't happen to me. =/ I'll try it as Kris and see if that's it.
Quote:
Also, some minor bad news is that it rains everytwhere, even indoors. But that's no big deal, I can still play through the game with rain indoors. So yeah, I'll be awaiting corrections. (No hurry, though. I'm sure you're really busy.)
Ah, that should be because there's not a branch in the random rain event to check if the switch for being outside is on. I'll fix it up.

EDIT: Yeah, it's because of Kris; it works fine when playing as Gold. Are you able to go into the Berry Guy's house closer to Cherrygrove?

Last edited by GymLeaderLance99; August 16th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Misty4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymLeaderLance99 View Post
That's weird. I just tested it before I put up the fixed demo, and that didn't happen to me. =/ I'll try it as Kris and see if that's it.

Ah, that should be because there's not a branch in the random rain event to check if the switch for being outside is on. I'll fix it up.

EDIT: Yeah, it's because of Kris; it works fine when playing as Gold. Are you able to go into the Berry Guy's house closer to Cherrygrove?
No, it's not Kris. I'm in awe right now. I just re-downloaded your demo snd sped through a Gold and found it working perfectly, so I thought, "That must be it." Then, I sped through as Kris just to be sure, and she was able to go in! I'm really confused right now. Well, anyway, I guess I'll just keep playing as my new file unless I run into any other problems. Sorry to bother you.

Old August 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
No, it's not Kris. I'm in awe right now. I just re-downloaded your demo snd sped through a Gold and found it working perfectly, so I thought, "That must be it." Then, I sped through as Kris just to be sure, and she was able to go in! I'm really confused right now. Well, anyway, I guess I'll just keep playing as my new file unless I run into any other problems. Sorry to bother you.
Huh...well, that's a relief. XD Still, I noticed I made a few mistakes with the teleports back outside, since it just made Gold invisible and not Kris (so when going outside, Kris would be visible on the door as it opens). I'm fixing that now, and I'll reupload it when I'm finished.

Old August 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Misty4Life

Yeah, the invisible thing happened to me too. I'm at the ruins right now, but I just thought I should tell you a few minor flaws before I forget them. (I'm not trying to be picky, no one expects a demo to be perfect.)

In Mr. Pokemon's house, I was able to walk in the black. You know, the empty space next to the exit. Also, sometimes when leaving a city or area something happens so that I can't walk back in. Example: As I was leaving Violet City, the screen..um, I'm not sure how to put this...sort of flashed, I guess. When I tried to walk back up, the screen wouldn't follow me. However, to fix this all I had to do is walk in and out of a house or whatever, and it would let me walk back up. This didn't always happen. Let's see, a few steps after I left NewBark Town, the house changed. Meaning, the houses used to have red roofs and one design and once I got to that spot they would look like the ones in the next town, orange roofs and a different design. And lastly, sometimes(as Kris, I'm not sure if it happens as Gold) something would block my path and I would have to manuever around it. Example: In the research center at the ruins, I couldn't walk in front of the bookcase.

I'm not sure if my computer is causing these glitches, because there sure seem to be a lot of them. Maybe it can't download it right. I don't know. Interpret this as you can. For now, I think I'll just wait until the game comes out and all the bugs are gone so I can know if it's my computer or not. (No offense intended, you were great enough to put out a demo in the first place. )

Old August 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Quote:
Yeah, the invisible thing happened to me too. I'm at the ruins right now, but I just thought I should tell you a few minor flaws before I forget them. (I'm not trying to be picky, no one expects a demo to be perfect.)
No problem; it's great that there's someone pointing these out so I can fix 'em. I wanted to have a few beta testers before releasing the demo, but since nobody volunteered, well...I should've probably played through it, though. XD
Quote:
In Mr. Pokemon's house, I was able to walk in the black. You know, the empty space next to the exit.
That's because of a passable tile in the upper layer (the two lower ends of the mat at the exit) being over an impassable tile in the lower layer. Fixed.
Quote:
Also, sometimes when leaving a city or area something happens so that I can't walk back in. Example: As I was leaving Violet City, the screen..um, I'm not sure how to put this...sort of flashed, I guess. When I tried to walk back up, the screen wouldn't follow me. However, to fix this all I had to do is walk in and out of a house or whatever, and it would let me walk back up. This didn't always happen.
Yeah, I always tested these teleports a few times to make sure they worked, and it's working fine for me right now. It's probably because the location thing that slips in when you go back to Violet or Route 32 is stopped before it can finish slipping in and out.
Quote:
Let's see, a few steps after I left NewBark Town, the house changed. Meaning, the houses used to have red roofs and one design and once I got to that spot they would look like the ones in the next town, orange roofs and a different design.
Yeah, I knew someone would point that one out. The reason for the change is because I didn't have chipset space to copy the New Bark tiles. Of course, after working on Route 27 later on, I just made it its own chipset. So I'll take care of that now.
Quote:
And lastly, sometimes(as Kris, I'm not sure if it happens as Gold) something would block my path and I would have to manuever around it. Example: In the research center at the ruins, I couldn't walk in front of the bookcase.
Just checked it out, and it looks like it's just tile passability mistakes I never caught. XD; *fixes*
Quote:
I'm not sure if my computer is causing these glitches, because there sure seem to be a lot of them. Maybe it can't download it right. I don't know. Interpret this as you can.
It's not you, it's just stuff I thought I looked over but I actually didn't catch.
Quote:
For now, I think I'll just wait until the game comes out and all the bugs are gone so I can know if it's my computer or not. (No offense intended, you were great enough to put out a demo in the first place. )
Well, once I fix the above, there shouldn't be any gaping bugs or anything, hopefully, and I'll reupload this demo. It's just a result of not having a beta tester to help notice these things. D;

EDIT: And here's the reupload. Like I said, there should hopefully be no gaping bugs or anything.

Last edited by GymLeaderLance99; August 16th, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Slight Update
Sorry for the lack of posts, guys. I've basically been going back to fix older events from before or around Route 35 to make things consistent with the later parts of the game (stuff like differing trainer encounter themes with the Youngsters, etc). I've also been revising most of the events that have a character go into or out of their home, so they actually do so instead of them doing it during a black screen (unless it was originally like that), and I tweaked a few things. For starters, the Togepi egg hatching is more realistic now (game-wise, of course), thanks to some help from Neo-Dragon, and I also ditched using that little picture with Togepi's GSC sprite inside a badly-drawn white circle. I'm also going to try and make most of the BGMs looped.

I'll basically be doing this for the next week or two (or more, if there's more I think should be tweaked), while I wait for Pingu to send the finished CBS to me. College starts for me this weekend, too, so the time I get to work on things might be reduced.

Old August 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Misty4Life

Wow, college, huh? Good luck on that, and also on this game! So much has been done, and I bet you feel really proud of your hard work. :D

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links