Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page How much has Pokemon changed our lives?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

View Poll Results: Has Pokemon affected your lives?
Yes 17 77.27%
No 1 4.55%
Maybe, so? 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 2nd, 2008 (10:14 AM). Edited July 2nd, 2008 by Netto Azure.
<<Wandering Bard>>
ModeratorCS

Nature: Sassy
I'm sure a thread like this reminiscing old times has been started somewhere else, please point me to it and bear with my rant. These questions have been nagging me for a while. (AH fan), Please if you can post this in the other 2 major forums (Serebii or Bulbagarden) and link here.

Anyways imagine back in '97 the infamous Episode 38 was shown. Massive hysteria engulfed Japan, and in a twist of fate, in another part of the multi-verse the flagship Pokemon Anime was Cancelled Completely even with the new restrictions. (I know it was highly unlikely but I am talking about a hypothetical timeline here.) Try to remember the impact of the so-called "PokeMania" of 1999-2000 in the Anime-Manga fandoms which unleashed a new generation of fans. And without the flagship Anime will Pokemon have the same impact? Where would fans be nowadays? where would you be? Where would the DS & PSP be?(The handheld industry?) The games? How will the face of Fandoms be?

I might change the questions since there pretty long. And Thank you for reading!
Old July 2nd, 2008 (10:22 AM).
Make the Colors in the Sky!

Nature: Relaxed
For me, Pokemania allowed me to meet new friends from all across the world that I would have never met otherwise, sometimes over something as simple as a screenshot from the show. (I literally met one of my e-friends this way). For a game to have done that, I can say Pokemon is a very special game.

Diamond FC: 1977 8991 5041 Will trade and battle

Like to RP? Come join us at http://rpforum.niceboard.net/forum.htm
Old July 2nd, 2008 (10:36 AM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
Well, I don't know what I'd be doing, personally. Certainly not writing fan fiction, not shipping any characters, not playing any good video games other than Guitar Hero and Harvest Moon, and...quite frankly, my life would be the most boring thing this side of the country.

Pokemon has been a major part of my life since it came out and I can't imagine life without it.

"I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!"

pair
Old July 2nd, 2008 (12:21 PM).
by fire be P U R G E D
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Without Pokemon, I'd probably turn out just like my older brother: extremely popular, always has money, awesome clothes. Now this may seem nice, but now that I have Pokemon, I wouldn't trade it for any of his stuff. Pokemon (among many other things) has made me who I am today and quite frankly, I'm happy about the direction my life is headed.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old July 2nd, 2008 (12:23 PM).
Piplup Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to YOOM-TAH
Of course it has, the only way someone could answer "no" to this is if they've never heard of pokemon before in their life.
Old July 2nd, 2008 (12:55 PM).
<3

Nature: Timid
Yup,what woul i be doing on my spare time anyways?
and the card collecting?Also reading its Manga comics
And getting me addicted to Anime and Manga
Old July 2nd, 2008 (12:57 PM).

You could say it changed my life...
It allowed me to become a Sage at the Nintendo Forums before they closed, got me Brawl 50% off, some free things, plus opened me up to online forums to further my typing skills
Old July 2nd, 2008 (02:27 PM).
The Mad Hatter

I agree complete with YOOM-TAH, I'd say it's changed a lot of people' lives ranging from the facts that nearly everyone can identify a little yellow mouse and call it Pikachu, and that some people in the year two thousand and eight are writing Pokémon Fan Fiction. Without Pokémon, there would be way more Mario and Zelda games than you would be able to count, and Nintendo wouldn't be as big an industry as it is today. Without Pokémon, I'd probably do better in test results (although I do well enough as it is), I wouldn't have devoted a decade of my life to it learning random facts that aren't going to help me get into university, I wouldn't have improved my English skills immensly by posting my fan fiction among literate people and getting help at every corner. The most important thing that Pokémon has given me is loads of freat friends, on forums and in real life, and without it, I wouldn't know the people I respect here, which would be a terrible thing, because the people that I respect here get my respect for a reason, and that reason is because I like them.

Interesting thread, vtommy1.
'It's been a prevalent notion. Fallen sparks. Fragments of vessels broken at the Creation. And someday, somehow, before the end, a gathering back to home. A messenger from the Kingdom, arriving at the last moment. But I tell you there is no such message, no such home -- only the millions of last moments . . . nothing more. Our history is an aggregate of last moments.'
Old July 3rd, 2008 (12:26 PM).
<<Wandering Bard>>
ModeratorCS

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by Oni Raichu:
Without Pokémon, there would be way more Mario and Zelda games than you would be able to count, and Nintendo wouldn't be as big an industry as it is today. Without Pokémon, I'd probably do better in test results (although I do well enough as it is), I wouldn't have devoted a decade of my life to it learning random facts that aren't going to help me get into university
That applies to me A LOT, but I know the boundaries of school, and fandom....Usually....
Also when people criticize PM they don't know how much it contributed to peoples lives.

Also I think this thread goes in hand with the "Are you embarrassed?" thread....
Old July 3rd, 2008 (01:19 PM).
Don't pick sides, pick both
Platinum Tier

Nature: Lonely
It has changed my life a lot! Without it, I probably wouldn't have so many names called at me but who cares about the prats who critisise you just through it back at them. I probably might think about more other subjects than pokemon and make my life a whole lot more borring. People who critisise me, I just imagine them being flung out of a catapult into an electric chair. Pokemon has had the biggest impact on me since I can't remember but the people who critisise me are quite less popular and have a smaller number of friends. No-one however has the right to name-call to you anyway.

That said, there is no rules or laws saying you can't, it is not very nice but there you go, another stupid mistake by society.
Old July 3rd, 2008 (06:12 PM).
Retired Hacker

Nature: Calm
Pokemon gave me something to do in my free time.
Old July 4th, 2008 (12:15 AM).
i want the puppy

Hmm... This is a good question. I've been living as a Pokemon fan since I was five or six. Not a day in my life has gone by without me at least thinking about Pokemon in some way or another. It's given me a lot...

Without Pokemon, I doubt I would ever have become as "creative" as I am today. Sure, I've always loved and been fascinated by animals from a young age, but Pokemon was something more than that. It was different, yet similar, to my animal-lover-personality. And today, I'm consantly writing Pokemon fanfiction (Like Oni said, this GREATLY improves writing skills). Whenever I draw something (and I love to draw) more than half of the time it's a Pokemon. Never has a simple franchise given me this much insight and creativity. Without Pokemon, I would not be a good writer. I would not be nearly as skilled an artist as I am now. I would not be quite so "talented" with a pencil and paper.

Without Pokemon, I wouldn't be a video gamer. It's as simple as that. The first handheld game I ever played was Pokemon Silver, and the first console game I ever played was Stadium. While I've played plenty of other games that weren't Pokemon-related, there is simply no way any other series has or ever will affect my gaming like Pokemon has. Sure, I may pick up a Zelda game or two, or spend hours in front of Brawl, but at heart I'm a Pokemon fan when it comes down to it. Without Pokemon, I would probably be doing something more productive with my spare time. XD

Without Pokemon, 99% of what I go online for would be gone. I would not be posting here. Serebii updates would be meaningless. I wouldn't even know what an RPG was, much less enjoy posting in them. And, I'd be, put simply, a "n00b". Pokemon forums have sort of made me more mature in a way. They've helped me understand some things about communication I wouldn't have understood otherwise. While I'm not saying typing words into a computer and putting them on the world-wide-web is actually being social, it's a unique kind of communication that has its beinifts. Without Pokemon, I'd lack any interest in the world-wide-web.

In conclusion to this long, drawn-out, perhaps pointless post, I think Pokemon has really shaped my life. Had I not grown up with it, I'd be a very different person than I am now. Maybe more reserved and... um... less video-game-obsessed. Yeah...
Old July 4th, 2008 (01:36 AM).

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cruelty And The Beast
Without pokemon I wouldn't be a nerd.
And nerds. rock. =]
I wouldn't be who I am today without it to be honest.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito
Old July 4th, 2008 (02:01 AM).
Some guy

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to n3
it was pokemon that lead me to here
it was here that led me into irc
it was irc that led me into *nix system administration
it was *nix stuff that made me program a bot for the channel
it was pokemon that eventually made me actually program stuff(even if its in only in mirc)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)