The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old July 11th, 2008 (01:33 PM). Edited June 22nd, 2009 by ice_nine.
ice_nine
Beginning Trainer

Name: Pokemon: Ash's Quest
Hack of: Fire Red
Author: ice_nine

Overview

The first season of the Pokemon anime was very popular, and I’ve seen numerous attempts at a full hack that recreated those events.

Pokemon: Ash’s Quest is a complete translation of every important event from the first 82 episodes into an Advanced Hack. Everything you can think of – A.J.’s Gym, the School of Hard Knocks, the banned episodes, the singing Jigglypuff, the Pokemon League tournament – that you wish they would have included in the original games this hack has.

There are NO random trainers or wild Pokemon. I’ve done extensive research and taken some otherwise unnoticeable details from the show to ensure that everything in this hack relates directly to the anime.

Of course, several things – receiving the three starters, the St. Anne saga, the Sabrina arc - will play a prominent role and involve a complex series of events, but I’ve made sure every episode is represented as much as possible.

When playing, just remember that this is what you’d have expected Gamefreak to have made if the games were based off the show, instead of the other way around. That said, longtime players who remember the anime can play it for nostalgia, while newer players can play it as a sort of “significantly updated” Fire Red.

Bugs and other Problems (Original Version Only - Fixed Version does not have these Problems)

When entering the St. Anne, enter through the right or center space, otherwise you'll end up directly at Porta Vista. This will be fixed into the updated version.

After the St. Anne events, there is no way to return to Cerulean/Vermillion without Rock Smash. Thus, you MUST get the Squirtle before boarding. This will also be changed.

There seems to be a bug in the first round of the Indigo Plateau, where you are unable to battle the Trainer. Thus, this hack ends there. The next version (coming out very soon) will rectify this.

In Cerulean City, you MUST enter the gym and watch the show before battling Daisy, or else the Gym will remain empty.

Special Thanks

I don't consider myself an expert mapper or spriter yet, so I'd like to thank the following for helping in some areas where this hack lacks.

112395: mapping improvements
dragoon3: sprites
tandrone2: video walkthrough

FAQ

A complete video walkthrough for this game is available - my friend tandrone2 has posted a 52-video series of the whole game on Youtube titled "Pokemon - Ash's Quest".

Release

As far as I’m concerned, this hack is complete. I’ve tested it several times, but if there are still any bugs, I will fix them and try to release an edited version. The original plan was to incorporate the Johto seasons as well, but I’m still undecided about that, so don’t count on any more updates.

Downloads

The IPS patch for Fire Red.

Edit: The FIXED Version of the game is now available for download. It has cleared all of the gameplay bugs of the original, but otherwise retains the same aspects.
Attached Files
File Type: ips PokemonAshsQuest.ips‎ (183.5 KB, 6207 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: ips PokemonAshsQuestFixed.ips‎ (183.8 KB, 20413 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old July 12th, 2008 (09:29 AM).
lacrette
Beginning Trainer

Old July 12th, 2008 (09:56 AM).
EmeraldSky
Make the Colors in the Sky!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to EmeraldSky
Very nice, judging from the screens.

However, I didn't see Misty or Brock anywhere...have you included them? (or are you in the process of putting them in?)

Second of all, you could do a slight recolor of the FR boy sprite to make a more realistic looking Ash, but that's just me.

Third of all, is the hack complete or still in progress? I'd like to know a specific completion level.

Diamond FC: 1977 8991 5041 Will trade and battle

Like to RP? Come join us at http://rpforum.niceboard.net/forum.htm
Old July 12th, 2008 (10:09 AM).
You Say ~Shark~
Silent Honors Ark Knight
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Wow! A completed hack in the Scrapbox! I know you put lots of effort into this and you probably worked on it for a long time. Nice work.

"Clustering bonds will illuminate a new miracle... Become the path that lights the way!"
Old July 12th, 2008 (10:12 AM).
ice_nine
Beginning Trainer

As I said, I probably won't be adding Johto, so the hack is essentially finished, with all the Kanto events I've planned.

I'll probably released an updated version over time with some of the requested changes (Ash sprite, etc.)

As for Misty and Brock (and Team Rocket), I decided it would be too much of a hassle to put them in constantly. For this hack, I focused on the specific events of each episode, so I inserted them in events sometimes when appropriate. They appear several times throughout, but aren't a critical part of the storyline.
Old July 12th, 2008 (10:12 AM).
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
it would make more sense to make ajs gym no ledge where he battled ash
Old July 12th, 2008 (10:20 AM).
You Say ~Shark~
Silent Honors Ark Knight
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_nine View Post
As I said, I probably won't be adding Johto, so the hack is essentially finished, with all the Kanto events I've planned.

I'll probably released an updated version over time with some of the requested changes (Ash sprite, etc.)

As for Misty and Brock (and Team Rocket), I decided it would be too much of a hassle to put them in constantly. For this hack, I focused on the specific events of each episode, so I inserted them in events sometimes when appropriate. They appear several times throughout, but aren't a critical part of the storyline.
I have Ash sprites you can use. (A whole bunch that I made) If you need them, PM me.

"Clustering bonds will illuminate a new miracle... Become the path that lights the way!"
Old July 12th, 2008 (11:48 AM).
lacrette
Beginning Trainer

can you give us more details about the pokemon league
Old July 12th, 2008 (12:03 PM).
.:God:.
Hiding in the silence...

I have one question, ice_nine!

After you battle Gary the 2nd Time, and do the following events:
Battle Daisy
Catch a Krabby
Meet Bill
Receive Bulbasaur in Hidden Village
How do you battle the gym? I can't find Misty.
Old July 12th, 2008 (12:39 PM).
EmeraldSky
Make the Colors in the Sky!

Send a message via Yahoo to EmeraldSky
Thank you for answering my questions. I just may test your heck out and see if I have any more questions.

Diamond FC: 1977 8991 5041 Will trade and battle

Like to RP? Come join us at http://rpforum.niceboard.net/forum.htm
Old July 12th, 2008 (12:53 PM).
lacrette
Beginning Trainer

why dont you put this hack in hacks showcase.
Old July 12th, 2008 (02:18 PM).
anakin908
Beginning Trainer

the game still has wild pokemon...
Old July 12th, 2008 (03:12 PM).
[HoN] Jereziah
Till DEATH do us part!

Nature: Brave
Wow!
Nice screenies yah got there!
And very fast....You attached an ips alredy?
Wow!
Just saying Good Luck

If you wanna play LoL click:
https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4bf10adbb6c1a

Play this game, if you like DotA.

Old July 12th, 2008 (10:11 PM).
FinalEclipse
Learning to be a Tile Artist

Nature: Adamant
what a mad hack!

i love this now i wont have to make this sort of hack!

i need everyone to click this.

i need to buy nx for combat arms

http://tinyurl.com/26kk9s7
Old July 12th, 2008 (10:27 PM).
lostsoul5673
blahblahblahblahblahblahb lah

Send a message via Skype™ to lostsoul5673
Wow, I'll try it when I get the chance...
Wah, the only picture I recognize is the Bridge Bike Gang one, only episode I recognize. Oh well. Did you redo the maps? Some look the same(as FireRed), are they?
Old July 12th, 2008 (10:32 PM).
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
This looks so damn awesome!
I'm going to try it out RIGHT NOW.
Seriously, this is really cool...

Good luck with fixing up some glitches and stuff...xD
Old July 13th, 2008 (11:50 AM).
lacrette
Beginning Trainer

Old July 13th, 2008 (12:19 PM).
Hiding in the silence...

where is misty in Cerulean
Old July 13th, 2008 (12:34 PM).
ice_nine
Beginning Trainer

I have one question, ice_nine!

After you battle Gary the 2nd Time, and do the following events:
Battle Daisy
Catch a Krabby
Meet Bill
Receive Bulbasaur in Hidden Village
How do you battle the gym? I can't find Misty.
Quote:
how do i battle the gym in cerulean
Quote:
where is misty in Cerulean
Once you defeat Daisy, the show in the Cerulean Gym should be over and you should be able to challenge the Gym Leader. If you're stuck in the northern part (with Bill and Damien), talk to Bill and he'll take you back to Cerulean. Still, this sounds weird (though it never happened while I was testing) so I'll go through it once again and post an update soon.

Quote:
can you give us more details about the pokemon league
Just like in the show, there are preliminary rounds (that take place in separate field arenas) and the final rounds (starting from the Round of 16). The only major functional difference between this and the Elite Four is that once you lose you cannot challenge again (obviously).

Quote:
the game still has wild pokemon...
...and there were wild Pokemon in the anime. I placed wild Pokemon in areas where the anime showed there were wild Pokemon (Sandshrew, Paras, Zubat, and Clefairy lived in Mt. Moon, while Bellsprout, Oddish, Rattata, Caterpie, and Paras lived in the Hidden Village).

Thanks for your interest, guys!
Old July 13th, 2008 (01:09 PM).
Hiding in the silence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_nine View Post
Once you defeat Daisy, the show in the Cerulean Gym should be over and you should be able to challenge the Gym Leader. If you're stuck in the northern part (with Bill and Damien), talk to Bill and he'll take you back to Cerulean. Still, this sounds weird (though it never happened while I was testing) so I'll go through it once again and post an update soon.

Just like in the show, there are preliminary rounds (that take place in separate field arenas) and the final rounds (starting from the Round of 16). The only major functional difference between this and the Elite Four is that once you lose you cannot challenge again (obviously).

...and there were wild Pokemon in the anime. I placed wild Pokemon in areas where the anime showed there were wild Pokemon (Sandshrew, Paras, Zubat, and Clefairy lived in Mt. Moon, while Bellsprout, Oddish, Rattata, Caterpie, and Paras lived in the Hidden Village).

Thanks for your interest, guys!
But there wasn't a show in cerulean gym in the 1st place! it was just completely empty!
Old July 13th, 2008 (03:28 PM).
+Sneasel™
It's a meeee, itman!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to +Sneasel™
Ok, well, I figured I'd comment now that I just beat Misty and entered the Hidden Village. So far, you have put in something from every episode, but it still doesn't really feel any different than Fire Red at all. I'm just simply rushing through things to see what you did for a certain part in an episode (I love the first season, I know about all of it). But some of the events were honestly kind of lame, like the Spearow one, or the Brock part with Flint. You could have done so much more. Also, there are many mapping mistakes so far.
PLEASE DON'T CRY!
I can't tell you lies...

Don't click this!

PPH - A great hacking forum
Old July 13th, 2008 (07:32 PM).
dragonsrule

If there are no random trainers to battle, won't it be hard to make your pokemon strong?
Old July 14th, 2008 (10:51 AM).
pokenar
Lunatic Red Eyes

Nature: Naive
i dont get how the light ball is suppose to help i mean in the anime misty sprinkled onix with water but i dont see that happening here.
Old July 14th, 2008 (11:43 AM).
Melash
Back for now.

WOW! This hack is just...AWESOME!! This is one of the best hacks I've ever seen!
Old July 14th, 2008 (11:51 AM). Edited July 14th, 2008 by pokenar.
pokenar
Lunatic Red Eyes

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melash View Post
WOW! This hack is just...AWESOME!! This is one of the best hacks I've ever seen!
aww man you got my hopes up that somone ansered me EDIT: my metapod is a butterfree now and can beat geodude but now im haveing trouble with onix.

EDIT2: i finaly won but my butterfree was lvl 14 took no damage from geodude and used stun spore when onix was first sent out then it was alot of luck you realy should make it a bit easyer

EDIT3: also y is the potion and super potion cost so much

EDIT4: part 1 i finaly beat surge thanks to bulbasaurs leech seed part 2 wow 4 edits people gota post here more

Sponsored Links