Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion
Reload this Page "Ash Catches a Pokémon" Episode Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Episode Discussion Whether you want to speculate about the upcoming episodes or reminisce about the episodes you watched years ago, Episode Discussion is your place for discussing, speculating, and reviewing all the Pokémon anime episodes.

Old October 4th, 2009 (06:11 AM).

You know, this episode had me learning a few things from it.

1. Inevitability is NOT in the Anime's dictionary.

Case in point, Team Rocket's loss against Caterpie. I mean, Team Rocket's Ekans and Koffing had been with them since at least a few years (We know they got them as seasonal gifts.), thus had a LOT of training from them [heck, they had to have it if they were to battle.]. Caterpie on the other hand, had barely even received actual training, both prior to and after Ash captured him. It's first battle, it was beaten to an inch of it's life by Pidgeotto, if not beaten to an inch of his life, then most certainly the battle had left him barely able to function. These facts, along with the fact that it was two against one, would make Team Rocket's victory an inevitability, right? WRONG. Not only did said Caterpie defeat them, he slaughtered them.

2. Gym Leaders, especially the ones in Hoenn, are weak, and should never be regarded as being top trainers.

Just as how the fanbase and even the characters in-universe regarded Team Rocket as being weak, especially after Caterpie's little victory, as well as continuous losses thereafter in terms of battling, I began to realize that Gym Leaders are also weak and pathetic if they lose to Rookie trainers or Rookie Pokemon a majority of the time. If they weren't weak, they shouldn't lose to said rookies that easily. It's also because of this that I wish that they never made Misty into a Gym Leader, since I cannot bear to witness one of the series stronger battlers becoming in essence the type of Joke battler that JJM are, as I cannot see the difference between a Gym Leader's losses and JJM's losses.
Old October 4th, 2009 (09:03 AM).

Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Quote originally posted by weedle_mchairybug:

Case in point, Team Rocket's loss against Caterpie. I mean, Team Rocket's Ekans and Koffing had been with them since at least a few years (We know they got them as seasonal gifts.), thus had a LOT of training from them [heck, they had to have it if they were to battle.]. Caterpie on the other hand, had barely even received actual training, both prior to and after Ash captured him. It's first battle, it was beaten to an inch of it's life by Pidgeotto, if not beaten to an inch of his life, then most certainly the battle had left him barely able to function. These facts, along with the fact that it was two against one, would make Team Rocket's victory an inevitability, right? WRONG. Not only did said Caterpie defeat them, he slaughtered them.

2. Gym Leaders, especially the ones in Hoenn, are weak, and should never be regarded as being top trainers.

Just as how the fanbase and even the characters in-universe regarded Team Rocket as being weak, especially after Caterpie's little victory, as well as continuous losses thereafter in terms of battling, I began to realize that Gym Leaders are also weak and pathetic if they lose to Rookie trainers or Rookie Pokemon a majority of the time. If they weren't weak, they shouldn't lose to said rookies that easily. It's also because of this that I wish that they never made Misty into a Gym Leader, since I cannot bear to witness one of the series stronger battlers becoming in essence the type of Joke battler that JJM are, as I cannot see the difference between a Gym Leader's losses and JJM's losses.
I always thought Caterpie's win was to a) dumb luck, and b) to re-affirm its self worth. Notice how Misty instantly liked it whenever it won, for example. And I always believed J/J/M could be competent Trainers, if only it weren't for a) the writers, b) said writers creating circumstances in which no one can win. Not unless you're the chosen one, like Ashy-boy.

Of course, there are times that the Rockets are lazy or self-indulgent, then, fine, blast away. When they're not and still lose, I do get the most annoyed. And that's one of the reasons I don't care for Johto, with the in-series derision of the trio. Although, that finally went away, for the most part.

As for the Gym Leaders being so weak, it seemed like the writers were going through the motions with them, even that early. It wouldn't be that clear until much later in the series, though. Other than Sabrina, Blaine and Giovanni (for Mewtwo only), most of the Kanto ones were a wash. I'd write off Brock and Misty, myself, if they didn't end up being part of the main cast. Which makes for fun discussion in their respective Gym Leader episodes.
Old October 7th, 2009 (02:06 PM).
Anime/Manga Junkie

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by weedle_mchairybug:

Back then, the game mechanics were wacky. Critical hits were always 100%. Caterpie scored critical hits = gg TR.

Quote:
Tell me about it. The only good Kanto Gym Leaders were Surge, Blaine, Sabrina, and Giovanni (who Ash didn't fight =[). At least the Sinnoh Gym Leaders are worth something.

Quote:
At least TR is in a lot less in Sinnoh.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links