The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM
oni flygon
:)

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato-san
What's wrong with script format? If it's extremely well-done script, can you make an exception?
I can describe unproperly written script in just one word: BORING

If it's well done. *coughShakespherecough* then I could accept it. But it's most unlikely for someone.

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
It's the exclusion no one really agreed on, oni.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Lily
I thought script fics were usually allowed for parodies and humors too, weren't they?

( ‿‿ ) PM me for a contract.
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:34 PM
oni flygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
It's the exclusion no one really agreed on, oni.
oh that? Meh. I didn't really like scripts that much. It's quite a bit of a pain to read them since half of the time, I forget who was talking...XD Reading Shakespheare's Julius Ceaser is even worse... X-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPichu
I thought script fics were usually allowed for parodies and humors too, weren't they?
Hmm...good idea. Maybe I should think about it..

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Yamato-san
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via AIM to Yamato-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni flygon
oh that? Meh. I didn't really like scripts that much. It's quite a bit of a pain to read them since half of the time, I forget who was talking...XD Reading Shakespheare's Julius Ceaser is even worse... X-X
How the hell can you forget who's talking when each person's name is put right in front of each line? Anyway, my fic (Pocket Monsters Chronicles) is meant to be rather serious, so it's obviously not a parody or humor story. My reason for doing script wasn't just to make things easier, but also because my story was conceived as a doujinshi manga that was abandoned, and script would just be a simpler way to convert that into writing format. I highly recommend people at least look at what kind of scripting I've done. Thus far, Mr. Catdog's left behind a very good complement about it.
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:17 PM
T.W North
Swordsman

When you say 5 pages long min, does that mean per chapter?
And script format is when its being written for a play, a fan-fiction is something like a novel(unless its a one shot). Plus, no matter how well written a script is, it cant really grab people attention until its acted out.

How is it, that I am a bug/flying pokemon, yet my type is electric...0.o

Mirrors cant talk...and lucky for you they cant laugh ethier!

Thanks mewshangout for my avvy!!!

Read it!http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=586272#post586272
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.W North
When you say 5 pages long min, does that mean per chapter?
And script format is when its being written for a play, a fan-fiction is something like a novel(unless its a one shot). Plus, no matter how well written a script is, it cant really grab people attention until its acted out.
Yes - 5 pages of Microsoft Word in the default settings of font is a good enough length normally for a FF of the Week. And, I would have to agree with you on that. Reading J.B. Priestly's "An Inspector Calls" in English has made me realise that acting is much better than reading in terms of script. Since this is Pokemon FanFiction, and not Pokemon Movie Multiplex, script fics aren't exactly great for showing off full writing ability to the maximum as something like a novel can.

Although I don't mind reading script fics - my review of Pocket Monsters Chronicles proves that - I would prefer to either see the script being acted out, or reading a compelling novel.
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Kylie-chan
the fae sorceress
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Quiet
I agree with Mr. Cat Dog. A script can be tragedy, or humour, parody, whatever, (even shipping but what the heck IS shipping anyway), but it'll have a tough job beating a story. It can't include much description or stuff unless it has a narrator (boring!!!!!), stuff that can shoot these stories to the top.

Stories rock. Scripts can only show real shine when put to images, if you don't mind me saying, because scripts just don't paint the picture. Sorry...

あの交差点で皆がもしスキップをして もしあの町の真中でてを繋いで空を見上げたら
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Yamato-san
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via AIM to Yamato-san
OK, so all in all, scripts seem to be overshadowed by story formats, no matter how good or bad either one is, just because. However, such a thing won't stop fics from becoming Fanfic of the Week, right? See, I'm very confident in the quality of my storyline, but I'd hate to see that it's shunned just because most people have a bias against my type of formatting.

Last edited by Yamato-san; October 9th, 2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Jolty-kun
omgruserius??lolss

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jolty-kun
Congrats on making fanfic of the week guys, especially LilyPichu for being 2x winner, i might start writing soon o-o;; XD
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato-san
OK, so all in all, scripts seem to be overshadowed by story formats, no matter how good or bad either one is, just because. However, such a thing won't stop fics from becoming Fanfic of the Week, right? See, I'm very confident in the quality of my storyline, but I'd hate to see that it's shunned just because most people have a bias against my type of formatting.
Your forgetting a little fic called download...now that was in script format and it did really well.

Paired With Signomi - Brothers with Arcanine
Old October 9th, 2004, 07:00 PM
D3L3T3D
ELITE Ryan

Funny, my fic got one good reply, and that was the ONLY reply. Yet, i'm keeping at it. If I could write Mindworld Tactics over on final Fantasy forums, I can write my fic!!! Haha!

Ahem. Don't kill me. :p

And some scripts are good, but i've seen few. I only use scripts to plot out cinematic type scenes for games.

I haven't been on in a few years but I AM still alive! Working on a new fangame project slowly but surely.
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Scripts are good of course. Real life examples such as "The Crucible" is an excellent script format play that's meant to be acted out, but still equally enjoyable when it's just read like a book.

HOWEVER, not that script fanfic is unaccetpable, but let's say it's 95% a failure...? My reasons...

a) scriptfic relies 100% on plot and tone to demonstrate character description, and I can hardly find tone in a non-script fanfic in PC... do you really think that someone in PC is going to be good enough to do an entire fanfic that bases all forms of character description on tone? Most likely, we'll result in some piece of crap known as "no description available."

b) script fanfic also relies on heavy usage of symbolism and other implicit means to get an idea across, since the narrator is dead and everything relies on what the character(s) see(s) and know(s). Symbolism again, is hard enough to think of in a normal fanfic, and we're trying to write something that is to be filled with them?

c) if your last name is Shakespeare then sure... as Oni pointed out already. By the way, how many Shakespeare are there in history again?

d) For those who has read Hamlet... recall the sword fight scene near the end of the book between Hamlet and his uncle, or how Macbeth slays the king. How did Shakespeare describe those "action scenes?" Now imagine how he did that, and try to describe a Pokemon battle that way... best of luck.
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:30 PM
SBaby
Pokemon Dungeon Master

I find it just easier to write in third person, instead of Script Format. In Script Format, it is often the case that the only person that knows what is going on is the author. With Script Format, you have to describe things in way more detail than in any other format, so the audience knows what is going on.

- Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in a business is blame the customer.

- Willie 'Jack' Degel
Old October 17th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Kylie-chan
the fae sorceress

Glub, I don't care any more, cos I'm never gonna get it. I can't compete with people like Lily and Dragonfree.

Old October 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Dark Pikachu, if a 12 yr old can do it, so can you. Don't put yourself down like that, all you can hope for is to try and always give your best shot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and that's a pity, isn't it? Dragonfree put her effort into the awesome fic we know today, and yours could be too. Just try and good luck. ^_~

Old October 19th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Kylie-chan
the fae sorceress

awww thanks

But like, there is a thing with writing. You either have that extra something, or you don't. So nah, I'm contented with the fact it's critically-acclaimed.

Old December 17th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Miyu-chan
.::f l o w e r g i r l::.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Miyu-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Miyu-chan
I was just wondering... Can you include the link in past winners? (For lazy people like moi? xD)

l Paired -MegaDitto l Evil sidekick - Ninja Retsu l Evil Twin -Hiyori-chan l

Old December 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
oni flygon

Hmm...I'll try that when I get the time or ask Lily for assistance...

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Oni-chan is lazy. :O~

Links...when I get time or ask Oni for assistance...

As for the FF of the week, congrats to dragonfree for being a three time winner. XD

*cold* ;_;

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Dragonfree
Teh Spwriter. :3

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
Three-time winner? o.O Holy crap, you're right... whoa...

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Aiya Quackform
Her High Quackiness

I'd just like to thank the mods for organizing this Fic of the Week competition! It's really helping me to find some good fics fast in this rather vast Fan Fic Chamber. There are some truly fantastic one-shots here, including those by LilyPichu and Dragonfree. I hope that someday one of my fics will be on this list.

Regarding the most recent winner, "The Prize", it was surprisingly short, but beautifully and powerfully described. I could really see that Kirlia dancing and spinning on the dancefloor... It was beautiful!

Old January 11th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Ooooh, my little parody of crapness has now been FF of the Weekified. *Does a little dance* Thanks to whoever put it up there
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM
oni flygon

You're welcome...
>.> (mind is blank)

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Miyu-chan
.::f l o w e r g i r l::.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Miyu-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Miyu-chan
O.O; Errr... Wow... Thanks...

I'm honored to have my fanfiction be FotW. o.o;

*is speechless*

l Paired -MegaDitto l Evil sidekick - Ninja Retsu l Evil Twin -Hiyori-chan l

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here