The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old October 14th, 2008, 05:09 AM
pichu2000
Smoochum

Advertise here
Hi, I'm pichu2000 and I want to tell you what I know on hacking DPP and HGSS(All languages) (Sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian)

PREPARATION

For hacking Pokemon Nds Roms you must have these things:
  1. An Hex Editor(I suggest Crystal Tile 2 )
  2. A ROM of DPP or HGSS
  3. A lot of patience
IMPORTANT! MAKE A ROM BACKUP BEFORE HACKING!
NDS FILE SYSTEM

Open the Rom with Crystaltile 2, click F6(For open hex editor) and click Ctrl+N (Or the little icon in the shape of Nds).
You could see a little Windows with a series of lines. Go on the forth Menu(?????V) and clicking on the first name(?????T). Now we should see a series of directories.

1. MAP DATA
Maps are located into field-data/land-data/land data release.narc(Dpp) or a/0/6/5(Hgss) (For opening a NARC file, push right button and select forth options)
Now we see a lot of file(land-data release 0, land data release 1 etc...)
These are the maps!
A map is divided into multiple section.
A map starts with an header lne(0x16 byte) that rapresented the size of every section.
First section edits Movement Permissions
Second section edits the 3d object inserted in the maps. In fact buildings,lamps and other object are parted from the main model map.
We usually find a model in this form:
We see first model in this form :
Code:
0x0-0x4 Model Number(Linked with NSBMD file id into Build_Model.narc(dpp) or bm_field and bm_room(hgss))
0x5-0x8 X Coordinates
0x9-0xC Y Coordinates
0xD-0x10 Z Coordinates
0x11-0x1C Unknow bytes
0x1D-0x20 Model widht
0x21-0x24 Model height
0x25-0x28 Model wheight
The third section is a NSBMD model(Search kiwi.NSBMD model documentation)
The forth section, BDHC, tell us if there's stairs or elevated part of maps. We need still research about it.

2. EVENT DATA

I found event data(warp, signs, people) in zone_event-release.narc(dpp) or a/0/1/2(hgss)
Events are very similar to gba data.
An event file is usually divided into forth section.

First section contains Overwords data.
Overwords are showed as:
Code:
0x0-0x2 Overword Id
0x2-0x4 Overword Sprite
0x4-0x6 0verword Movement
0x6-0x8 Unknown Bytes
0x8-0xA Script Flag
0xA-0xC Script Number
0xC-0xE Unknown Bytes
0xE-0x18 Line of Sights(Trainer)
0x18-0x20 X coordinates
0x20-0x22 Y coordinates
0x22-0x24 Z coordinates
Second section is warps
Warps are showed as
Code:
0x0-0x2 X coordinates
0x2-0x4 Y coordinates
0x4-0x6 Map Id
0x6-0xa Maybe Warp Flag
Third section is signs
Signs are showed as
Code:
0x0-0x2 Script
0x2-0x4 Unknown
0x4-0x8 X Coordinates
0x8-0xC Y Coordinates
0xC-0xF Z Coordinates
Forth part contains Triggers
Triggers are showed as:
Code:
0x0-0x2 Script
0x2-0x4 X Coordinates
0x4-0x6 Y Coordinates
0x6-0x8 Width
0x8-0xA Lenght
0xA-0xC Weight
0xC-0xF Flag Number
3. SCRIPTS DATA

Now, scripts data are relocated in scrip-seq-release.narc(a/0/3/2 for hgss).
A script file is divided in two main section of variable lenght, divided by a particular costant,0xFD13
The header, that contains the lenght of every script.
The commands section, that contains all the script.

Commands

Commands are characterized by the command id, followed by 0+ parameters.
Almost all the commands has a predefined number of parameters.
Some has variable parameters, different each time.
We know the 80-85% commands used into dpp, and the 40% used into hgss.

4. MSG DATA

Msg data are inserted into msgdata/msg.narc(dpp) and a/0/2/7 (hgss)
We can extract them with thenewpoketext program, so search a tutorial for it for see how.

5. GRAPHIC DATA

Editing Graphic into forth generation is very simple.
If we open some narc, we can find a NCGR file(RCGN or Tile File), followed usually by a NCLR(RCLN or Palette File) and sometimes by a NCGR(RCGN or Map File), and other two uneditable files(NANR or Animation File and NCER or Cell Animation File).
In Crystaltile we only go on a Tile file, press BackSpace, then go on a Palette file, and press Backspace, and if we find the NCGR, make the same thing.
Then we can see the image onto the window of the rom.
Press Ctrl+e and export image as bmp. Edit with paint, and click Ctrl+I, and we only need to save the rom.
We need pay attention to not change the palette based map, and respect also the tile.

Some images are compressed(NCGR.L), like pokedex screen and other.
We need to decompress the three file associated (right click and press U() option), rebuild a new rom with dslazy, edit image like we done previously, save the three file uncompressed(right click and press E() option), open Crystal tile, go to T and Lz77 compression, select the three file(one for one), and rebuild the new rom.
This is more complicated, but it's the only way to edit the compressed graphic.

Now i insert a file contained a lot of useful list that i made.
(Some are incompleted)
Attached Files
File Type: zip list.zip‎ (224.2 KB, 233 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by pichu2000; April 19th, 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Clean a lot of useless information and update some other.
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
This is cool.
But I wish I could wrap my head around it.
Maybe someone could design a tool using this data to make it easier...

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
http://pokemonhackersonline.com/
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
This is cool.
But I wish I could wrap my head around it.
Maybe someone could design a tool using this data to make it easier...
Easier said than done....
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
I never said it wasn't...

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
http://pokemonhackersonline.com/
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Joey the Cockroach
Dino Crisis will never die!!!!

Nature: Adamant
this is great to what you can find in hex.... it is great, i can say. finding values in hex is quite hard but achieveable. nice one Pichu2000.
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Wow, very nice. At the moment, it's not very useful to a lot of ROM hackers out there until tools are made.
Eventually, this will help more experienced, hex editing hackers with their tools, or other stuff.

Thanks for posting this, pichu2000.
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old October 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Salamol_Goldfish
Booted out - don't be like me!

Yea, this is cool. Im going to make a diamond hack
My friend gabe might help me:D
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
liuyanghejerry
Trainer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via ICQ to liuyanghejerry Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to liuyanghejerry Send a message via Yahoo to liuyanghejerry
It's really a good start,but a tool is really needed,or we must swim into the hex...

Anyway,good job~

I did something that really bad.But made all Chinese can hack Pokemon, too.If you guys hate me, I totally understand,but cannot do anything but force to keep everything.
If there must be someone to undertake all spit and curse, it must be me.
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Argent Crusader
Isn't Falstad dead?

Nature: Lax
Really nice tutorial! It's a very good documentation. If LU-HO comes here and sees this, it may be interesting. This data is enough to make a little and basic map editor (I guess).
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:05 AM
pichu2000
Smoochum

Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
Really nice tutorial! It's a very good documentation. If LU-HO comes here and sees this, it may be interesting. This data is enough to make a little and basic map editor (I guess).
Thanks Kike, but there is a lot of work to do yet

Can someone helping me in this works?
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM
LU-HO
Author of AdvanceMap

Send a message via ICQ to LU-HO
hello all
yes, nice to hear ;-)

the problem is, i'm working on an new version of AdvanceMap at the moment, and i have only 2 hands.

I'm more interested in the Advance-Generation, i have much to do for these Roms...

But i bookmarked and saved these tutorial on my PC, if i found time i will try to make a DPMAP also.

pichu2000 tanks for this. but sorry i cannot help on Analyse the data, to busy ...
but i'm interested on updates for it ;-)

greetz LU-HO

It's finally here, AdvanceMap 1.95 (Open Beta).
get it: [Release] AdvanceMap 1.95 Open Beta
Questions about AdvanceMap, found bugs, problems on using it? => contact me.

All versiones of Advance Map are available on ampage.no-ip.info.
The newest version of AdvanceMap is AM 1.95 get it.

Greetz goes to:
Mastermind_X, Tutti, Scizz, Darkmaster01, Tauwasser, F-Zero, Jiggly, Filb, Lugia2000, Mulle, Philb, Jay, TraX, Spacy, Mikaron, Coolman, CrazyNebulak, Arty und Serwe.

Old October 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU-HO View Post
hello all
yes, nice to hear ;-)

the problem is, i'm working on an new version of AdvanceMap at the moment, and i have only 2 hands.

I'm more interested in the Advance-Generation, i have much to do for these Roms...

But i bookmarked and saved these tutorial on my PC, if i found time i will try to make a DPMAP also.

pichu2000 tanks for this. but sorry i cannot help on Analyse the data, to busy ...
but i'm interested on updates for it ;-)

greetz LU-HO
A "DPMAP", huh? Sounds interesting.
I can't wait for the day there will be a 4th Generation mapping tool.

BUT, this is a very useful document, pichu2000.
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM
CR0SELL

Hey Pichu2000, Im also currently looking for offsets. If you have an MSN, Pm it to me, then we could share our finds, and release more data, so one day, there will be a scripter for DP.
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM
poddish
Spirit Of Radio

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poddish
The thing about this is, before the advance generation and all the tools for it came out, ALMOST everyone relied more on hex editing than on tools. Because of this, few hacks were made because it was hard to hack, and the hacks that were completed were usually better than the ones made now (assuming graphics and number of pokemon don't matter, although it was possible to add more slots in r/b/y if you move the trainer sprites somewhere else, I know this because I saw coolboyman's new "final" version of pokemon brown on youtube, and he had 251 pokemon, IN A RED HACK, good job coolboyman!) Anyway, the hacks were usually better because they changed a LOT more than we ("toolhackers) (like me) can do with the tools, because someone's not going to make a tool for some nobody hacker just because he/she asked. Besides, what about the fact that tools can't completely change everything about something because they're limited by the skill of the creator and user.

Anyway, I hope to see some d/p hacks that don't rely on tools soon...
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
CR0SELL

Originally Posted by poddish View Post
The thing about this is, before the advance generation and all the tools for it came out, ALMOST everyone relied more on hex editing than on tools. Because of this, few hacks were made because it was hard to hack, and the hacks that were completed were usually better than the ones made now (assuming graphics and number of pokemon don't matter, although it was possible to add more slots in r/b/y if you move the trainer sprites somewhere else, I know this because I saw coolboyman's new "final" version of pokemon brown on youtube, and he had 251 pokemon, IN A RED HACK, good job coolboyman!) Anyway, the hacks were usually better because they changed a LOT more than we ("toolhackers) (like me) can do with the tools, because someone's not going to make a tool for some nobody hacker just because he/she asked. Besides, what about the fact that tools can't completely change everything about something because they're limited by the skill of the creator and user.

Anyway, I hope to see some d/p hacks that don't rely on tools soon...

Umm, I was saying that I can help him find offsets, so we can work together. I wasnt asking him for offsets...
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:08 AM
pichu2000
Smoochum

I'm trying to make a simple dp map editor
but I don't know very much about programming
I wanna someone helping me to make the program, so also another man helping me to find the offset
because I must study very much in this year and I haven't much time to spend hacking

Anyone wanna help me?
P.m(Crosell i can't send you private message, you don't allowed this feature)
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
WaterSplash
Common

Nature: Serious
Send a message via AIM to WaterSplash
Very nice, pichu2000. I'm going to try looking these offsets up and seeing what I can alter. This should lay a good foundation for changing the maps, with or without an editing program.

Berries Grow, Birds Fly, Sun Shines, and Brotha...I Splash People.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:45 AM
pichu2000
Smoochum

I need help from anyone can give a hand. I must study in this period so I can't update map list, etc...
I Really need nosgba debugger to make some progress, but the author is disappeared
There's anyone that can send me this wonderful tool?
It would be a beautiful dream
Thanks
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM
gamefreakfatty
yuo shuld mak an dp map edtior

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to gamefreakfatty
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu2000 View Post
I need help from anyone can give a hand. I must study in this period so I can't update map list, etc...
I Really need nosgba debugger to make some progress, but the author is disappeared
Thanks
If I can, I would like to request it too. I was looking for it a long time ago, around when he first disappeared and stopped updating. His PayPal account is closed so I can't even try.

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
SCV
DPP Game Researcher

Send a message via AIM to SCV Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SCV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu2000 View Post
Thanks
Well, Martin is VERY strict with his rules about not sharing no$gba debug. Even though he seems to have disappeared, I don't feel comfortable sharing mine.

I sent him and email asking what can be done so that you (and a few other people I know) can get a copy of no$gba debug. If he does not respond after some time, I will consider giving you a copy of mine.

However, if you don't know much about programming, I doubt it will be useful to you.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
gamefreakfatty
yuo shuld mak an dp map edtior

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to gamefreakfatty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCV View Post
Well, Martin is VERY strict with his rules about not sharing no$gba debug. Even though he seems to have disappeared, I don't feel comfortable sharing mine.

I sent him and email asking what can be done so that you (and a few other people I know) can get a copy of no$gba debug. If he does not respond after some time, I will consider giving you a copy of mine.

However, if you don't know much about programming, I doubt it will be useful to you.
Thank you! That would be a great help to those of us who are still working at hacking D/P/P. I emailed him almost a year ago about the PayPal situation. I haven't checked for around two months to see if it is back up yet, but the last time I checked it was still not working.

Old November 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
pichu2000
Smoochum

I DO SOME PROGRESS REGARDING SIMPLE POLYGONS
I CAN MOVE FLOWERS AROUND THE MAPS!

Last edited by pichu2000; November 16th, 2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
SCV
DPP Game Researcher

Hi Pichu2000, I was wondering whether you new how to find the script associated to a particular event.

For example, this is the galactic grunt at valley windworks:
06 00 00 00 00 00 7C 00 0F 00 00 00 AC 01 03 00 01 00
03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F3 00 8F 02 00 00 00 00

How would I find the script that corresponds to this event?

Here is some more stuff:
These are the Person events from the Sky Pillar.

The first two bytes of what I bolded seem to be script numbers. However in some places those are completely blank.

Notice that two of the events have the same first two bytes, this is because of the two double battles.
However there man
Code:
00 00 7D 00 0F 00 00 00 E6 01 06 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E 00 30 00 00 00 00 00 
01 00 78 00 00 00 00 00 E8 01 01 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00 1C 00 00 00 00 00 
02 00 79 00 0F 00 00 00 E7 01 0C 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 21 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 
03 00 7C 00 0F 00 00 00 E6 01 06 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 30 00 00 00 00 00 
04 00 7B 00 0F 00 00 00 E7 01 0B 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1D 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 
05 00 66 00 00 00 00 00 E2 01 01 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00 15 00 00 00 00 00 
06 00 94 00 00 00 00 00 E3 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E 00 23 00 00 00 00 00 
07 00 65 00 00 00 00 00 E4 01 07 00 00 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1D 00 23 00 00 00 00 00 
08 00 63 00 00 00 00 00 E5 01 08 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1D 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 
09 00 97 00 00 00 00 00 EC 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 
0A 00 98 00 00 00 00 00 ED 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 19 00 17 00 00 00 00 00 
0B 00 99 00 00 00 00 00 EE 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 25 00 17 00 00 00 00 00 
0C 00 57 00 00 00 00 00 FF 03 55 1C 00 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 
0D 00 57 00 00 00 00 00 01 04 56 1C 00 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00
P.S. I decided that I am not going to leak no$gba debug. I don't know what happened to Martin but after taking to a few other people who own it, I decided that it would not be good to share. If you tell me how you intended to use it to make progress, I can try to study that.

I am going to get more active into studying scripting and events, so I will love to help you develop this topic.

Last edited by SCV; December 8th, 2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
pichu2000
Smoochum

Miniupdate
I found how to edit script's movement
These are showed in this way
NN(Type of movement) 00 XX(movement repetition) 00 ....
For example Twinleaf town rival script(0x1d9fda0)

Code:
47 00 01 00 0D 00 01 00 48 00 01 00 FE 00 00 00
4B 00 ......
47 rapresented hero's movement(When crash with something)
0D rapresented hero's back jump
48 rapresented same hero's movement 47
FE idem
4B rapresented rival esclamation....
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
SCV
DPP Game Researcher

I take back what I said above about the first two bytes. They must be related to the script somehow, but I don't know how. The script is actually the last two bytes of what I bolded as stated in the original post.

I have found how trainer battles are scripted. I will update later with some examples. These are done in two different ways. One strictly from the event file and another through the scripts.

Pichu2000, do you know if there is any place that stores which event files and script files are associated for a certain map?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here